Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Denver Broncos Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

We're spiraling out of control spiralism !!
    We need a comeback of patriot proportions to get back on track :o

Don't be so deluded. After about the 10th time in the Fox era where we've been handed an ugly loss by a team playing us tough does it not become obvious that the same problems remain? When a likely 6/7 win team is beating you, you know the league is finding you out. Play us the way Jacksonville and Seattle did last year and we'll likely lose. The only playoff team in the AFC i think we're capable of beating in January is the Bengals, because they're the Bengals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

spiralism wrote: »
    Don't be so deluded. After about the 10th time in the Fox era where we've been handed an ugly loss by a team playing us tough does it not become obvious that the same problems remain? When a likely 6/7 win team is beating you, you know the league is finding you out. Play us the way Jacksonville and Seattle did last year and we'll likely lose. The only playoff team in the AFC i think we're capable of beating in January is the Bengals, because they're the Bengals.

You are doing an injustice to the Rams spiralism. The Rams are a young and hungry - they have now beaten the Seahawks the 49ers and the Broncos. What they are is inconsistent and when Fisher sorts that out the Rams will be one of the best in the NFL.

The reason why the Broncos got bullied is because they couldn't run the ball. They couldn't run because the OL is in tatters and the Rams DL (which is very good) could just pin their ears back and go after Manning. When a D is capable of doing that any QB will have a torrid time. Fix the OL and fix the problem (and it looks like the best option to do that is signing Incognito and moving Franklin back to RT)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/dangerous-denver-broncos-nfls-most-battle-tested-team/32239/

A positive story about Denver for a change recently. Just a reminder of how tough their schedule has been so far.

The Chiefs are always a tough out in KC and it was good to see Denver score on 7 possessions and were in complete control for the entire game.
    It's certainly not the Offense we have come to expect from Denver recently, but it's positive that the OL were able to clear lanes and protect Manning against a good Chiefs front 7. The balanced approach will obviously help down the stretch as the weather is less conducive to passing.

I am a bit concerned about the shape of Manning's passes the last few weeks. I know his arm strength has diminished, but even the short throws are being rainbowed and take an age to arrive to the receiver. It seems much more pronounced than before. I wonder if there is a little injury or if fatigue has set in.

poldebruin wrote: »
    http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/dangerous-denver-broncos-nfls-most-battle-tested-team/32239/

A positive story about Denver for a change recently. Just a reminder of how tough their schedule has been so far.

The Chiefs are always a tough out in KC and it was good to see Denver score on 7 possessions and were in complete control for the entire game.
    It's certainly not the Offense we have come to expect from Denver recently, but it's positive that the OL were able to clear lanes and protect Manning against a good Chiefs front 7. The balanced approach will obviously help down the stretch as the weather is less conducive to passing.

I am a bit concerned about the shape of Manning's passes the last few weeks. I know his arm strength has diminished, but even the short throws are being rainbowed and take an age to arrive to the receiver. It seems much more pronounced than before. I wonder if there is a little injury or if fatigue has set in.
    I wouldn't worry about the game in KC - there was a swirling wind that was buffeting the ball all over the place.

There is an interesting development from the last two games - the Broncos have been far more effective running the ball with Virgil Green playing TE with Julius
    Thomas sitting out the last two weeks. Thomas can't block while Green is one of the best in the NFL and while Green is nowhere as good as Thomas as a receiver he has shown that he can be effective. I am sure that Thomas will continue to play a role when he comes back from injury but I suspect his playing time might diminish in order to ensure the continuance of a balanced offence. Thomas could become primarily and third down and red zone threat. The impact of this is that the Broncos could let Thomas walk in FA and take the comp pick rather than pay hike top end TE money.

Manning's form is getting increasingly worrying now, is it fair to ask if he has anything left at this stage?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Manning's form is getting increasingly worrying now, is it fair to ask if he has anything left at this stage?

You're just a parody of yourself now.

Honest question, what age are you?

Jaysus spiralism - have you ever made a comment on this thread that wasn't mired in pessimism :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

How did you come to that conclusion?? Denver have been just running the ball very effectively in the last few games. Which if you want to go far in December and January is exactly what's needed. I would've thought the offence not being the Manning-show in the last few games is the best thing that could happen them. Run that rock right down defences throats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I do agree with your first sentiment spiralingoutofcontrolism ;)

Manning is a rhythm QB and he's, well, out of rhythm atm :confused::(

Having said that we are still winning and if he gets back into rhythm for the playoffs (should we make it) then all will be forgotten/forgiven.

The D is confusing, they're brilliant one minute and terrible the next, you get the felling we could stop on 3rd and 1 but fail on 3rd and 16 !!

We have a couple of injury worries to key players and I suppose if we (are good enough to) make it all the way to Foxboro (worst case scenario) then we definitely need to be firing on ALL cylinders or at full 'horse-power' to overcome that 'big' obstacle.

Speaking of the enemy! I'm really interested at Tom Terrific's demeanor atm, he's attitude is super aggressive, so........what drugs is he on ??!! :P

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/12/broncos-extend-cornerback-chris-harris/

The Broncos have extended Chris Harris, 5yr $42.5m, $24m guaranteed. Well that's one less upcoming free agent to worry about. I like Harris, undrafted FA out of college, worked hard to make the team and has improved every year. He's currently the no.1 rated cornerback on PFF players ranking system. Hopefully will work out well as he is only 25 and seems to have a good attitude.

I have to agree with Spiralism, that there is a cause for concern over Manning's recent form now. Leaving the balance of the offense and the good play from the defensive side of the ball aside, he had his lowest QBR in a game in over 6 years last week. He has not surpassed 200 yards in 2 games in a row, and only Hoyer and Dalton have thrown more interceptions in the last 6 weeks (eight in that span). Even more worrying was the interceptions themselves, in particular the first in the Buffalo game, where he woefully underthrew Emmanual Sanders. If the arm strength is not there for whatever reason at this stage of the season, Manning is going to have to adapt his game again to account. (Cue 400 yard 5 TD performance against San Diego!)

Last thing.....god damn our schedule is tough this year. I remember talking about how it eased up after the Patriots game, but apart from 2 outings against Oakland we had/have:

@St. Louis (3-6)
    Miami (6-4)
    @Kansas City (7-4)
    Buffalo (7-5)
    @San Diego (8-5)
    @ Cincinnati (8-4-1)

At the start of the year Denver's schedule was the second toughest on paper @ .570
    http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/115715/2014-nfl-strength-of-schedule
    Leaving Oakland out of it, Denver opponent's actual winning percentage this year is .631 (103-65-1) and they will have played 12 games against teams with a winning record.

• Advertisement

Leaving Oakland out of it, Denver opponent's actual winning percentage this year is .631 (103-65-1) and they will have played 12 games against teams with a winning record.
    And the Broncos are 9-3 in those games.

Manning will be fine - as M pointed out above, Manning is a rhythm QB and the rhythm of the Broncos offence has changed in the last two weeks. Expecting Manning to win every game will not win the SB for the Broncos - last year proved that it doesn't work. The losses this year also proved that the Broncos need a better balance and that is now a work in progress. By the time of the play-offs Manning will have developed his rhythm with this offence.

Montee Ball has been placed on season-ending IR along with Quinton Carter. Danny Trevathan is being activated from IR and TE Dominique Jones (??) promoted from the practice squad.

I can't see Ball being missed. Anderson and Thompson have been very good in relief and Hillman is due back this week or next. Very sad for Carter as he has shown a lot of promise, and this could see the end of him as a Bronco/career due to knee injury.

I think we will miss Ball, but only in the red zone, eg. 3rd and 1 in a playoff game or tough yardage in a tough game!? I'd be more confident of him getting us the yardage or that TD.

Jeepers that Carter fella is injury prone alright, pity, as he is strong player.

Fingers & toes crossed that Manning does get his mojo back for the playoffs.

Look on the bright side, Defenses win Championships, and ours is pretty good atm !

Manning will be fine - as M pointed out above, Manning is a rhythm QB and the rhythm of the Broncos offence has changed in the last two weeks.

Well after watching the San Diego game, I think we can all now accept that this is more than a rhythm issue. There is no velocity at all on Manning's throws. Passes that go downfield look like they have been tipped at the line by the time it arrives. Every pass is a looping underthrown, back-back shoulder throw.

Now all this is not to say the Broncos can't win this way, but my guess is that as teams have now realised this is a real issue, they will adjust and set up accordingly. Now Denver might be good enough to beat San Diego and Kansas City this way, but I cannot see them troubling New England or Seattle/Green Bay.

Well after watching the San Diego game, I think we can all now accept that this is more than a rhythm issue. There is no velocity at all on Manning's throws. Passes that go downfield look like they have been tipped at the line by the time it arrives. Every pass is a looping underthrown, back-back shoulder throw.
    Manning was suffering with stomach flu before and during the game - he needed an IV at half-time. Is it any surprise he didn't have any velocity on his passes.
    Now all this is not to say the Broncos can't win this way, but my guess is that as teams have now realised this is a real issue, they will adjust and set up accordingly. Now Denver might be good enough to beat San Diego and Kansas City this way, but I cannot see them troubling New England or Seattle/Green Bay.
    The Broncos coaching staff realised after the Rams game that putting all their eggs into one basket (the passing game) would not cut it. The understood after the SB last year that they needed better balance on offence and moved away from that intent because of the trouble with the OL.

Putting Montgomery in at C gave the running game a massive boost (the Redskins running attack was impressive when he played their at C). The OL is now capable of blocking for the run game and that is making the Broncos a better team.

In my opinion the Broncos are now much better equipped to take on the Pats and the Seahawks - they can pound the ball, eat up the clock, keep Brady and Wilson (and Rodgers) off the field, give the Broncos D time to recover on the sideline - and still get the job done. I have been impressed with what they have done over the past three weeks.

I would understand this (and believe it) if Manning was still throwing his passes normally - then it would seem that the change of ethos by the coaching staff was voluntary rather than enforced.

Nor am I that impressed by the running game. It's playing at a better level that earlier in the year and gives us more balance, but I cannot believe a team is better equipped to beat SEA/NE/GB with a less dangerous Manning. The redzone issues we are experiencing shows me the running game is not all that strong.

Again, that is not to say we can't win this way, and Manning has been quite efficient when he does pass (comp%, ypa, interceptions excluded), but for me, it is a worry as we head into the playoffs. Here's to hoping you are right though.

I share those thoughts poldebruin, but also (would like to) be a little optimistic like JRG and hope for it all to fall into place come the playoffs !

Last year we were the best O in football, looked unbeatable, with unbelievable stats and then whooooosh we produced nothing in the 'big one' !
    There was alot of expectation on that team, but this year that attention is on the Patriots and hopefully they will crumble in the playoffs ;)

After all the playoff years I really hope Manning gets a rub of the green this year and a deserved 2nd SB ring. But he has to knuckle down and produce it when it's needed most and then he'll finally get the credit he's earned.

I but this year that attention is on the Patriots and hopefully they will crumble in the playoffs ;)

I can't see the Patriots crumbling, especially at Foxboro, which is looking likely. If we do manage to beat them it will be a good, tough game. They are getting some important pieces of their defense back, at just the right time too.

As JRG mentioned though, if you want to win the Superbowl, you have to beat some good teams on the way.

I realise this is stating the obvious, but outside of Brady going down, the only way I can see NE getting into any trouble, is if they lose Gronkowski - they really do look like a different team without (or with a less than 100% version of) him.

Enjoy some power rankings. This Column on the Washington Post is actually a very interesting read.

I will say that - officially - now I'm worried - it is beginning to look like the Broncos will not be able to turn this around. Marshall's absence was crucial.

They needed to win this game and win it with authority - they needed to demonstrate that they were at the races. The Cowboys ans Seahawks showed what was needed this weekend - the Broncos didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

And what makes it worse is that they probably would have won that game if Manning had been playing anyway near his usual self. Now they did play well in the 3rd when the O line took charge and gave him some actual protection but that doesn't change the fact that something seems to clearly be up with him. Would not be confident about the Raiders next week.

• Advertisement

Would not be confident about the Raiders next week.
    Losing to the Raiders would result in chucking the entire plan out the window. Won't happen.

Yep, definitely worried now after that !
    I could rant on negatively about how we played and especially Peyton, but I guess the regular season is for stats, it's the post-season is where it's at, so we need to get-it-together and do what Green Bay and the Ravens did a few years ago and produce it when it's needed most.

We're also missing Trevathan, I think he's a big loss !

Yep, definitely worried now after that !
    I could rant on negatively about how we played and especially Peyton, but I guess the regular season is for stats, it's the post-season is where it's at, so we need to get-it-together and do what Green Bay and the Ravens did a few years ago and produce it when it's needed most.

We're also missing Trevathan, I think he's a big loss !

The loss of Trevathan and Marshall have been big. Marshall should be back for the play-offs.

I read an interesting analysis of the offensive problems for the Broncos and it came down to this - the Broncos couldn't run out of the shotgun because CJ needs a couple of steps to build up a head of steam to hit the hole. As a result the Broncos put Manning under centre to help the running game. That led to a different problem - Manning has lost a step and is too slow getting back into the pocket to scan the field and set up his throw. This is the reason why Manning has been throwing from the shotgun as it gives him the time to pick holes in the defence. So they fixed one problem and created another. Now what has happened is that Manning has not yet adjusted to dealing with his loss of a step to get set-up in the pocket - but the expectation is that the more reps he gets the more he will adjust. So far tonight he has looked very good in the pocket - but it is the Raiders.

Bye is well needed in all fairness, unlike the previous two years it's not halting momentum but instead grants this team time to fix a lot of **** it needs to get sorted out.

We can win if Manning improves to at least average in the playoffs imo. Other teams have followed the blueprint of relying on the run game and defence after all. However, Manning improving to average is a big if and facing Pittsburgh or Baltimore would be a struggle if we were to rely on the run game as much as we have.

Tbh i don't think there's enough to win a super bowl in this team. I often can be hysterical but imo its a fair point to make this year, its quite a flawed side in a number of important issues and has no reason to be. However i'd be confident that if (and it's a big if) we see a bit of sense and give John Fox the well deserved sack after this season the post Manning era could materialise quite well, there's a lot of cap room available in two years and a lot of promising young talent like Marshall and of course CJ.

Looking ahead i think it's important to make a play for a first or second round QB this season and start grooming him even if Manning isn't done. We'd do well to get another season out of #18 by the looks, it's his poorest since just before he had his neck surgery which is a massive worry. Osweiler looks more Curtis Painter than Aaron Rodgers as a backup in all fairness, we'd be ****ed if we went with him the following year but i for one am worried we will, note that Osweiler and Elway's son are good friends after all.

I'm not convinced that Fox is at the root of all our problems, in fact if you look at his record, it's quite impressive, perhaps your expectations Spiralism are a little too high ! There aren't too many really top class HC's about. I suspect you're comparing him to Billicheat ;)

I do agree though with you that it's looks unlikely that we are good enough to win a SB, unless we get a bit of luck along the way. If you look at our record against big teams and in big games, it's not encouraging. I think both the Pats and the Seahawks are the teams to beat and look nailed on for a SB appearance.

Optimisticly I'm hoping that we play Pitsburg and the Colts overturn the Pats, and the Seahawks get beaten, and we play the Cowboys in the SB and we end up winning in an epic shootout :o:)
    /in the NFL strange things happen !

Spiralism is a 'glass is completely empty' type of fan.

The Broncos went 12-4 this season with a vey tough schedule. Despite some crucial injuries at LB and to Ward the defence has been very impressive and is capable of stopping any team. Manning is still a top-tier QB who has had one bad game and a couple of so-so games out of the entire season - he was his usual competent self last night (even if it was against the Raiders). What the season has shown is that the Broncos cannot win by going up-tempo no-huddle for an entire game - the offence cannot sustain the pace. The changes are and have been required to make the offence adaptable to different conditions. Nobody will go to Foxboro in the weather in January and win by chucking the ball around like confetti.

There are five teams imo capable of winning the SB - Dallas, Seattle, GB, NE and Denver. I think the one wildcard is the Ravens who I think could take out the Pats. Of the five I see capable of winning the SB I think the Broncos are the team that has not peaked and can improve.

In relation to FOx - he is one of the best HCs in the game at the moment. The Broncos were an absolute basket case of the team after the McD disaster - in fact it is hard to grasp how bad the situation was in Denver after the mess McD made of things when Elway took over and hired Fox. Since he took over Fox has coached the team to four divisional titles in a row (in what is traditionally a tough division - and once with Tebow at QB - some achievement) and got the team to the SB once. How many other coaches have taken a 2-14 team that was a basket case and overseen such a turn around. In my view there are very few HCs who could have achieved the same thing (and I wouldn't want BB). Furthermore Denver has two coordinators who are constantly being touted as HC candidates - Gase is tipped for the 49ers and Del Rio for the Raiders -which I think would be a very good fit. I want Gase to stay - I think he has proven to be a very good OC but I could live with Del Rio leaving with possible replacements including Rex Ryan or bringing Allen back. Fox is very much a hands off guy during games giving his coordinators a lot of atonomy in running their game plans.

The one part of the team that has a been a concern all season is e OL. Elway and the entire coaching staff messed up when they thought that Clark could shift to RT - it was the one real mistake they made last offseason - and must be balanced by the signing of Ware, Ward, Talib and Sanders. But the lack of cohesion on the OL has caused a lot of knock-on effects.

However the reality is that the team needs nothing more than a little tweaking to keep it moving forward. The team needs a new RT (and they are actually in short supply) will probable let Franklin walk in FA and will need a new LG. I suspect that Julius Thomas will walk - he will be too expensive for what he brings to the team and the offence has much better balance when Green plays TE. A replacement will also be needed for Welker. The defence is solid - Moore will probably leave but will not be too difficult to replace. The big question is whether Manning is worth $20million next season. I suspect that his contract will be reworked to free up cap space to sign a couple of top-line FAs - but this team can more than win with Manning - his is still way better that all bar a handful of QBs.

Last point - we do not know what we have with Osweiler - he has never been given a chance to show what he can do. I suspect that he can actually be very good if he is given the reps needed with the first team. However, he has one year left on his contract and Elway will either work out an extension or trade him this offseason (and the trade happens if Osweiler is unwilling to continue warming the bench).

To have a team that is consistently there or there abouts in the NFL is remarkable - it is very much the exception rather than the rule and Elway and Fox deserve massive credit for achieving that.

I feel it'll be a close one unless one team deflates !
    We're not outright favs by any means, we have too many 'worries' !!

It'd be ironic if Luck rode into town and sent Manning packing, at least that would be the headline anyway :o
    /Although I'd rather see that than heading to Foxborough and getting spanked :(

But...........it's time for Manning (& the team) to step up to the plate/challenge and rid those daemons that circulate in their closet ;)

Welcome to the Broncos Shane Ray - looking forward to seeing Ray and Miller tearing every QB in the NFL a new one.

Disaster for the Broncos - Pro-Bowl LT Ryan Clady has blown out his ACL during OTAs today and will miss the season.

The Broncos OL that is undergoing major reconstruction has lost one of the two stable parts and becomes the second Broncos to tear an ACL in a couple of weeks. This injury could well see the end of Clady's career with the Broncos. His contract expires next season and he will have difficulty recovering from a second ACL.

• Advertisement

Disaster for the Broncos - Pro-Bowl LT Ryan Clady has blown out his ACL during OTAs today and will miss the season.

The Broncos OL that is undergoing major reconstruction has lost one of the two stable parts and becomes the second Broncos to tear an ACL in a couple of weeks. This injury could well see the end of Clady's career with the Broncos. His contract expires next season and he will have difficulty recovering from a second ACL.

A great pity. One of the top talents on the team, and as you mentioned, may spell the end of his career as a Bronco.

A small silver lining is the timing, we reached a Superbowl with Clady missing almost the entire season a couple of years ago, but we have the chance to make a move for a replacement with the season still months away. Next year's draft choice maybe traded?

Advertisement