Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€20,000 treble. the return of the one bet challenge!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭chompdown

An important midweek for my European Accy. It has started will with Porto securing first place tonight. Here's how it stands...

Bet 3

Torino @ 1.91 -> 2.25
    Dinamo Moscow @ 1.33 -> 1.03
    Sevilla @ 1.33 -> 1.17
    Dynamo Kyiv @ 1.22 -> 1.3
    Zenit to qualify @ 1.53 -> 2.75
    Dortmund @ 1.40 -> 1.05
    FC Porto WIN

Total Odds: 13.86 -> 10.18
    Potential winnings: €1,386

After a great early win for Zenit, I was hoping to see Leverkusen beat Monaco as predicted, but it was not to be. Monaco got a total smash and grab win, meaning Zenit need to win in France to qualify. Far from impossible, but the alternative of needing a draw or a win would have been nicer.

Dortmund were beaten by Arsenal, but will only need a point at home to Anderlecht to make sure of top spot. Shouldn't be a problem!

Tonight the four Europa team selections play and the biggest game is Torino at home to Brugge which is as close to a must win for this bet as is possible...

Well the European accy doesn't look like it will come in now after Torino failed to beat Brugge at home. Sevilla lost away to Feyenoord so the odds have drifted significantly. It just shows how hard it is to get a good run for your money. I've realised that my standard approach of one long shot with one or two other shorter odds selections is the best way to go rather than this 7 fold type approach. Trying to find one mispriced long shot is key to a good run with these accumulators.

Danny Hylton at Oxford was one example. That treble is still alive as he is current top scorer of League 2 and Liverpool and Cardiff both picked up 1-0 wins in the league.

I've already identified my December accy and will place the bet tomorrow!

Here are the updated odds and my December selections:

November
    Liverpool to finish top 4 @ 2.0 -> 5.0
    Cardiff to finish top 6 @ 3.5 -> 3.5

Danny Hylton to be L2 top scorer @ 26.0 -> 10.0

Total odds: 182.0 -> 175.0

Potential winnings: €21,840

December

Everton to win the Europa League @ 17.0
    Watford to finish in Championship top 6 @ 2.37
    MK Dons to finish in League 1 top 6 @ 1.25
    Luton to win League 2 @ 5.0

Total odds: 251.81
    Stake: €104
    Potential winnings: €26,188

It's time for an update of the odds but the journey towards odds of 1.0 isn't exactly going to plan. 2 accumulators are already confirmed losers. The latest two from my post above are still alive, but only just. Liverpool have been really poor, and Uts and Arsenal are picking up wins so it looks bleak for that bet.

The other one is a real long shot too, but it's the one I'm most confident in. Here are the odds anyway...

November
    Liverpool to finish top 4 @ 2.0 -> 9.0
    Cardiff to finish top 6 @ 3.5 -> 4.5

Danny Hylton to be L2 top scorer @ 26.0 -> 11.0

Total odds: 182.0 -> 445.5
    Potential winnings: €21,840

December
    Watford to finish in Championship top 6 @ 2.0
    MK Dons to finish in League 1 top 6 @ 1.20
    Luton to win League 2 @ 6.0

Total odds: 251.81 -> 244.8
    Potential winnings: €26,188

• Advertisement

Well, the Christmas bonus came in so I decided to have add another bet for December! There were quite a few nice selections available so I went for the following split:

Santa Bonus 1
    Dundee Utd Scottish Premiership Without Celtic @ 3.25
    Marc Richards - Top Goalscorer L2 @ 15.00
    MK Dons - League One Winners @ 5.50

€100 @ 268.13 to win €26,813

and

Santa Bonus 2
    PSV - Europa League Winners @ 51.00

€35 @ 765.0 to win €26,775

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

chompdown wrote: »
    Well, the Christmas bonus came in so I decided to have add another bet for December! There were quite a few nice selections available so I went for the following split:

Santa Bonus 1
    Dundee Utd Scottish Premiership Without Celtic @ 3.25
    MK Dons - League One Winners @ 5.50

€100 @ 268.13 to win €26,813

and

Santa Bonus 2
    PSV - Europa League Winners @ 51.00

€35 @ 765.0 to win €26,775

Am a bit surprised you would go for Richards for top scorer, i know he is scoring now - but is he likely to be the one at the top of the pile for a team that are currently 16th in the table? Usually top scorer would come from the promotion/playoff teams.

Don't claim to know it all - just seemed like a strange pick

Hi Lombardo, I also don't claim to know it all, quite the opposite actually... I'll give you a little background info....

I used to be a very successful at this betting game, so much so that I would get my stakes limited at bookies because I was winning nearly all my bets. So my idea was to look through oddschecker to find selections that were similarly priced to Betfair, back them with the bookie and lay them on Betfair, so that I would get more losing bets on my bookie account.

What actually happened was quite strange! The selections that were better priced with the bookies than on Betfair comfortably came out net winners, which made my problem worse :) But then I had the idea to pursue this strategy...

So to cut a long story short, I don't tend to pick my selections based on what I actually think will happen, I just try to find these kinds of selections where there is good value - i.e. one bookie has Richards at a much higher price than the others. I am effectively betting on them being wrong, and the others right. That's why I often get a good run for my money (although not so much this season!).

I lost discipline big time, and I was awful at chasing losses, so these kinds of bets keep me away from the long days of chasing losses, and that is the main purpose of them. When they lose, they lose slowly, not like a 2 minute horse race, where the loss is very fresh in your mind, and you want to win back your stake straight away to mask the fact you have just lost.

So, to cut a long story even shorter, I haven't picked Richards because I think he will be top scorer, I have picked him because all the other bookies think he has a better chance of being top scorer compared to my bookie!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

Hi Lombardo, I also don't claim to know it all, quite the opposite actually... I'll give you a little background info....

I used to be a very successful at this betting game, so much so that I would get my stakes limited at bookies because I was winning nearly all my bets. So my idea was to look through oddschecker to find selections that were similarly priced to Betfair, back them with the bookie and lay them on Betfair, so that I would get more losing bets on my bookie account.

What actually happened was quite strange! The selections that were better priced with the bookies than on Betfair comfortably came out net winners, which made my problem worse :) But then I had the idea to pursue this strategy...

So to cut a long story short, I don't tend to pick my selections based on what I actually think will happen, I just try to find these kinds of selections where there is good value - i.e. one bookie has Richards at a much higher price than the others. I am effectively betting on them being wrong, and the others right. That's why I often get a good run for my money (although not so much this season!).

I lost discipline big time, and I was awful at chasing losses, so these kinds of bets keep me away from the long days of chasing losses, and that is the main purpose of them. When they lose, they lose slowly, not like a 2 minute horse race, where the loss is very fresh in your mind, and you want to win back your stake straight away to mask the fact you have just lost.

So, to cut a long story even shorter, I haven't picked Richards because I think he will be top scorer, I have picked him because all the other bookies think he has a better chance of being top scorer compared to my bookie!

Cheers for the insight - I check regularly to see how you're going. Best of luck

Well that was the best weekend for any of my accumulators all season. Some really good results for the December bets.

Watford went down to 10 men and still managed to take the lead and win away to Reading. That's three wins on the trot since I backed them.

MK Dons won 7-0 against a pretty decent Oldham side. Swindon and Bristol City both lost! MK Dons will go top if they win their game in hand.

Luton won 3-0 and are two points off top. Their home record is outstanding.

Dundee Utd beat Celtic this morning 2-1 and go second in the league, ahead of Aberdeen on goal difference.

Marc Richards scored a pen for Northampton, although Danny Hylton and Reuben Reid (2) both scored.

Delighted with the results and looking forward to checking the odds tomorrow!

• Advertisement

Ok, so not all bookies have updated their odds but here's the situation now anyway...

edit: all prices updated now.

December

Watford to finish in Championship top 6 @ 2.37 -> 1.73
    MK Dons to finish in League 1 top 6 @ 1.25 -> 1.07
    Luton to win League 2 @ 5.0 -> 4.5

Total odds: 251.81 -> 141.61

Santa Bonus 1
    Dundee Utd Scottish Premiership Without Celtic @ 3.25 -> 2.75
    Marc Richards - Top Goalscorer L2 @ 15.00 -> 11.0
    MK Dons - League One Winners @ 5.50 -> 4.0

Total odds: 268.13 -> 121.0

There's a lot of green there... It's looking like it will be an interesting Christmas for these bets. Also, I forgot to mention that Everton got a really nice draw in the Europa League against Young Boys Bern, and there are a couple of ties where the "big guns" will play each other. Quite happy!

A mixed bag over Christmas but delighted that Marc Richards got 2 in 2 as it's getting quite competitive at the top. Would be delighted to see Matt Tubbs join a League 1 side in the transfer window as he is only on loan at Wimbledon.

Watford are looking good for a top six finish over Cardiff. They were beaten earlier by Wolves who looked very good.

MK Dons were hammered at home by Walsall 3-0 but I would be quite confident that was a one-off and they'll be back in business next week.

Luton also failed to win at home on Sunday but Shrewsbury and Wycombe drew with each other so Luton are still in the mix.

I was really disappointed to see Dundee Utd lose away to St Johnstone, after going 1-0 up, following their big win against Celtic. Now they are three points off second. Here are the odds!

December

MK Dons to finish in League 1 top 6 @ 1.25 -> 1.07
    Luton to win League 2 @ 5.0 -> 5.5

Total odds: 251.81 -> 173.08

Santa Bonus 1
    Dundee Utd Scottish Premiership Without Celtic @ 3.25 -> 3.6
    Marc Richards - Top Goalscorer L2 @ 15.00 -> 8.0
    MK Dons - League One Winners @ 5.50 -> 4.33

Total odds: 268.13 -> 124.7

It's time for the January accumulator. Not going to go into much detail about it cos it could already be a loser tonight. I just hope I don't chase if it is a loser... Anyway, here it is:

Dunfermline Scottish League 1 winners @ 2.62

Ghana African Cup of Nations Winners @ 10.00

NAS Predators Central Division winners @ 5.00 (ice hockey)

MK Dons v Chesterfield @ 1.80 (FA Cup Round 2)

Stake: £75 (approx €100)
    Odds: 235.8

Ok, that was a loser. Happy that I didn't chase the loss. Almost feels like a win!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

How come you decided to put a match into this accum?

I've been looking for value selections for the January accumulator for the last few days and was struggling to find any to be honest.

Maybe I was a bit too bored, impatient and keen to get the accumulator on so just added the MK Dons match to the bet. Bad decision, bad discipline, and totally against the idea of my strategy (long term slow losing bets, rather than quick ones). Didn't chase last night or today, so in the safe zone again :)

A quiet weekend because of the FA Cup but there were some games in L1, L2 and Scotland. Not all good news though! Nice to see Shrewsbury and Swindon both failing to win, but so did Dundee Utd, while Aberdeen won... again! :(Here are the odds:

December

MK Dons to finish in League 1 top 6 @ 1.25 -> 1.06
    Luton to win League 2 @ 5.0 -> 6.0

Total odds: 251.81 -> 187.05

Santa Bonus 1
    Dundee Utd Scottish Premiership Without Celtic @ 3.25 -> 4.33
    Marc Richards - Top Goalscorer L2 @ 15.00 -> 8.0
    MK Dons - League One Winners @ 5.50 -> 4.33

Total odds: 268.13 -> 150.0

After a weekend packed full of league games, there was a nice mix of highs and lows. Lots of entertainment in the MK Dons match and also watched Dundee Utd win 3-2 tonight away to Hamilton.

Lovely seeing Marc Richards score again, but as we all know, every selection needs to win for these bets to come in!

I was actually doing some very quick calculations... Most of my bets are 250/1 or thereabouts. That obviously means one in every 250 will be a winner. Doing one per month means I'll have a winner on average every 20 years! Shows how tough a task it is to find a winner :)

With that said, here are the latest odds.

December

Watford to finish in Championship top 6 @ 2.37 -> 1.91
    MK Dons to finish in League 1 top 6 @ 1.25 -> 1.06
    Luton to win League 2 @ 5.0 -> 7.0

Total odds: 251.81 -> 240.93

Santa Bonus 1
    Dundee Utd Scottish Premiership Without Celtic @ 3.25 -> 4.5
    Marc Richards - Top Goalscorer L2 @ 15.00 -> 5.0
    MK Dons - League One Winners @ 5.50 -> 5.0

Total odds: 268.13 -> 112.5

Another pretty good weekend of games. It was important for Luton and MK Dons to win their matches and they both did 1-0. Dundee Utd were in danger of losing ground on Aberdeen, who had not conceded in their last 8 games, winning them all (I think). Gladly, they drew 3-3 and needed 2 late goals to get their point. Marc Richards had a lovely headed goal ruled out for offside, which was a shame. I'm actually quite confident he will be top scorer if he stays fit. Northampton have signed a couple of players and looking a lot better now.

Anyway, the odds dropping nicely, but still a long long way to go, maybe 20 years!

December
    Watford to finish in Championship top 6 @ 2.37 -> 1.85
    MK Dons to finish in League 1 top 6 @ 1.25 -> 1.03
    Luton to win League 2 @ 5.0 -> 5.5

Total odds: 251.81 -> 178.16

Santa Bonus 1
    Dundee Utd Scottish Premiership Without Celtic @ 3.25 -> 4.5

Total odds: 268.13 -> 112.5

Santa Bonus 2
    PSV - Europa League Winners @ 51.0

Total odds: 765.0 -> 255.0

As I calculate the odds after this weekends games I don't know whether they have shorterened or not. A very mixed bad of results, which seems to be the theme at this stage of the season.

This will probably be my last update for about 3 weeks as I go away on holidays for a nice break :)Hopefully I will come back to short odds!

December

Watford to finish in Championship top 6 @ 2.37 -> 1.67
    MK Dons to finish in League 1 top 6 @ 1.25 -> 1.02
    Luton to win League 2 @ 5.0 -> 6.0

Total odds: 251.81 -> 173.8

Santa Bonus 1
    Marc Richards - Top Goalscorer L2 @ 15.00 -> 6.0

Total odds: 268.13 -> 129.9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

As I calculate the odds after this weekends games I don't know whether they have shorterened or not. A very mixed bad of results, which seems to be the theme at this stage of the season.

Santa Bonus 1
    Marc Richards - Top Goalscorer L2 @ 15.00 -> 6.0

Total odds: 268.13 -> 129.9

This santa bonus could be a runner!! Good weekend I see.

Indeed it was looking good the weekend after I left with Richards getting two, MK Dons winning comfortably, and Dundee Utd beating Aberdeen in the League Cup semi. However, things haven't worked out so well after that. Two of Dundee Ud's best players have left, Aberdeen have gone further ahead, the MK Dons lost to Bradford and Bristol City look to be cruising to the title. Anyway, things change fast in this game, so still hope left.

I split my Feb accummulators into two trebles at £50 each. I wanted to include Coral's best priced top bowler (Mitchell Johnson) and top batsman (David Warner).

Selections are:
    Feb 1
    Warner top batsman @ 11.0
    Nashville Western Coference Winner @ 8.0 (Ice hockey)
    Morton Scottish League 1 winners @ 3.6

Feb 2
    Johnson top bowler @ 11.0
    Liverpool win Europa League @ 15.0
    Daryl Murphy Championship top scorer @ 2.5

Will post more detailed update early next week after a bonanza of sport this weekend!

This santa bonus could be a runner!! Good weekend I see.

It shows how quickly things can change... It was indeed a runner two weeks ago, but now it's a total longshot! I will not even include it on the updates anymore after some terrible results for the MK Dons and Dundee Utd. Richards, the long shot of the accumulator is doing fine though!

Anyway, after putting that into the losers section, it's time to look forward to the others still in with a change. Half decent start with one of my new Cricket related bets, and the Europa League starts again this week which should be nice and exciting!

I now have 4 accumulators in play, with one less than a 100/1 shot -> the PSV, Marc Richards double. I will certainly be shouting for PSV against Zenit on Thursday. I cannot understand how PSV are 50/1 to win the Europa League.

Here are the odds...

December
    Watford to finish in Championship top 6 @ 2.37 -> 1.4
    MK Dons to finish in League 1 top 6 @ 1.25 -> 1.03
    Luton to win League 2 @ 5.0 -> 6.5

Total odds: 251.81 -> 159.34

Santa Bonus 2
    PSV - Europa League Winners @ 51.0
    Marc Richards - Top Goalscorer L2 @ 15.00 -> 1.73

Total odds: 765.0 -> 88.23 :eek:

Feb 1
    Warner top batsman @ 11.0 -> 17.0
    Nashville Western Coference Winner @ 8.0 -> 8.0
    Morton Scottish League 1 winners @ 3.6 -> 3.75

Total odds: 316.8 -> 510

Feb 2
    Johnson top bowler @ 11.0 -> 10.0
    Liverpool win Europa League @ 15.0
    Daryl Murphy Championship top scorer @ 2.5 -> 1.67

Total odds: 412.5 -> 275.55

Terrible bad luck today with the Australia v Bangladesh game being called off and no chance to play it another day. That effectively ends the chances of my Feb accummulators coming off. Pissed off now, and will update the odds after this weekend's games...

Pretty miserable outlook for all the bets right now. I'm surprised the Australian selections for the cricket did not drift further after that match was abandoned...

It was also crazy seeing both of March Richards' closest rivals bag hatricks, although it's not looking like it will effect things.

Added to that, one of the companies I took a punt on drilled for oil, and found nothing, so it was an all round ba week! Thankfully no chasing or panic betting, which makes me happy.

Anyway I'll do a quick update of the odds, and add in my March accummulator. If things don't drastically improve, I may not be back again until April...

Santa Bonus 1
    Dundee Utd Scottish Premiership Without Celtic @ 3.25 -> 13.0
    Marc Richards - Top Goalscorer L2 @ 15.00 -> 3.0
    MK Dons - League One Winners @ 5.50 -> 4.5

Total odds: 268.13 -> 175.5

Santa Bonus 2
    PSV - Europa League Winners @ 51.0 -> 100.0

Total odds: 765.0 -> 300.0

Feb 1
    Warner top batsman @ 11.0 -> 21.0
    Nashville Western Coference Winner @ 8.0 -> 6.5
    Morton Scottish League 1 winners @ 3.6 -> 3.25

Total odds: 316.8 -> 443.63

Feb 2
    Johnson top bowler @ 11.0 -> 17.0
    Liverpool win Europa League @ 15.0 -> 12.0
    Daryl Murphy Championship top scorer @ 2.5 -> 1.57

Total odds: 412.5 -> 320.28

March
    Kohli Top Batsman @ 8.5
    Swansea Top 10 @ 1.57
    Ipswich Top 6 @ 1.44
    Carlisle relegation @ 7.0

Total Odds: 134.5
    Stake: €135

Quick little update to keep a record of which accumulators are actually still open. A good few have died a death already!

In order of best chances first, the outlook is pretty miserable!

March
    Kohli Top Batsman @ 8.5 -> 10.0
    Swansea Top 10 @ 1.57 -> 1.57
    Ipswich Top 6 @ 1.44 -> 1.44
    Carlisle relegation @ 7.0 -> 7.0

Total Odds: 134.5 -> 158.2

December
    Everton to win the Europa League @ 17.0 -> 13.0
    Watford to finish in Championship top 6 @ 2.37 -> 1.4
    MK Dons to finish in League 1 top 6 @ 1.25 -> 1.01
    Luton to win League 2 @ 5.0 -> 15.0

Total odds: 251.81 -> 275.7

Santa Bonus 1
    Dundee Utd Scottish Premiership Without Celtic @ 3.25 -> 17.0

Total odds: 268.13 -> 280.5

Feb 1

Morton Scottish League 1 winners @ 3.6 -> 3.0

Total odds: 316.8 -> 409.5

... and then there were three. Lots of losing bets this year, but plenty to be happy about as my discipline has been very good, and there's still three accumulators in with (decent, slim & remote) chance. Great seeing Luton win, and all of the three teams ahead of them failing to win. They are 6 points off top with a game in hand. The other risky element of that accy is Everton to win the Europa League. They got Dynamo Kiev in the last 16, which is a very winnable tie for a team who expects to lift the cup.

The more realistic chance is for the March accumulator. I was very disappointed to see India lost the toss against the UAE, who decided to bat first. It meant my man Kohli scored 35 not out. The positive is that Dhawan was out early, but Kohli is now third favourite @ 9/1

The other selections are doing fine, with Ipswich still top 6, Carlsisle now in the bottom two and Swansea winning away to Burnley and shortening quite a lot.

The rank outsider accy from Feb is not worth a mention unless Warner (20/1) can smash at least a century in his next game.

March
    Kohli Top Batsman @ 8.5 -> 10.0
    Swansea Top 10 @ 1.57 -> 1.29
    Ipswich Top 6 @ 1.44 -> 1.5
    Carlisle relegation @ 7.0 -> 5.0

Total Odds: 134.5 -> 96.75

December
    Everton to win the Europa League @ 17.0 -> 13.0
    Watford to finish in Championship top 6 @ 2.37 -> 1.25
    MK Dons to finish in League 1 top 6 @ 1.25 -> 1.01
    Luton to win League 2 @ 5.0 -> 12.0

Total odds: 251.81 -> 197.0

Feb 1
    Morton Scottish League 1 winners @ 3.6 -> 2.75

Total odds: 316.8 -> 375.4

A big win 1-0 for Carlisle in the relegation 6 pointer against Cheltenham means that they drift back out to 7.0

Luton lost 1-0, while Shrewsbury won 2-1 with a late goal. Luton's away form is rubbish and despite my optism in the last post, it looks unlikely that they can challenge for the league. I'll stop tracking this accumulator now as and concentrate on the other two that are in with a chance.

So that brings me to the Feb accy. I couldn't believe Afghanistan won the toss this morning and decided to put Australia in to bat. End result; my selection Warner gets 178 runs and sky rockets up the table. He is now @6.5 at the top of a competitive field.

Morton also went top of the Scottish League 1 with a win last night!

Here are the latest odds:

March
    Kohli Top Batsman @ 8.5 -> 11.0
    Swansea Top 10 @ 1.57 -> 1.25
    Ipswich Top 6 @ 1.44 -> 1.73
    Carlisle relegation @ 7.0 -> 7.0

Total Odds: 134.5 -> 166.5

Feb 1
    Warner top batsman @ 11.0 -> 6.5
    Morton Scottish League 1 winners @ 3.6 -> 2.62

Total odds: 316.8 -> 110.7

A win tonight for Ipswich away to Leeds would be nice.

Time for a reply after a less than special weekend. Warner was out for 9 against Sri Lanka, and the new favourite for top batsman, Sangakkara managed a century to go clear at the top. Kohli plays early tomorrow against Ireland.

The football results were pretty mixed, bordering on poor, and the updated odds will probably reflect that, and here they are:

March
    Kohli Top Batsman @ 8.5 -> 15.0
    Swansea Top 10 @ 1.57 -> 1.25
    Ipswich Top 6 @ 1.44 -> 2.1
    Carlisle relegation @ 7.0 -> 6.5

Total Odds: 134.5 -> 255.9

Feb
    Warner top batsman @ 11.0 -> 9.0
    Nashville Western Conference Winner @ 8.0 -> 6.5
    Morton Scottish League 1 winners @ 3.6 -> 2.5

Total odds: 316.8 -> 146.2

• Advertisement

Getting ready for a big weekend, with India playing Zimbabwe and Australia up against Scotland. I badly need at least one them to win the toss and bat first.

Sri Lanka and South Africa both won the toss in the last two games and that led to Sangakkara and Du Plessis racking up big runs and going clear at the top. At this point I feel Warner is the best hope as he could get 200 against Scotland if they bat first!

Seems pointless to add the updated odds (because they have drifted!) and the next games are so crucial...

My last accummulator of the season was placed today. Already, many of the antepost bets are very short odds, so hard to find value, but I think I've found a decent fourfold. Here it is:

QPR finish bottom of Prem: @4.0
    Burton to win League Two: @2.75
    Morton to win Scottish L1: @2.5
    Nashville West conf winners: @6.5

Accumulated odds: 178.75
    Stake: £95
    Potential winnings: €24k

QPR are third last, Burton are top, Morton are top and Nashville are top!

Advertisement