Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Target Practice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Good luck DG!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

annapr wrote: »
    Good luck tomorrow. A shame to ruin those lovely shoes :). I look forward to hearing how they survive!

Thank you and yes, I agree they are way too good for XC...I will scrub them after their first outing and after that....oh wait, their first outing was yesterday.
    laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Good luck DG!

Thanks, appreciated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Best of luck tomorrow!:) it's tough but nothing compares to the buzz of running XC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Good luck. Perfect weather for cross-country:). You can keep Fionnuala Britton in your thoughts if you're struggling with a tough bit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Just catching up on your JB - great report and great racing. Well run, madam.

Best of luck tomorrow!:) it's tough but nothing compares to the buzz of running XC.
    Good luck. Perfect weather for cross-country:). You can keep Fionnuala Britton in your thoughts if you're struggling with a tough bit!
    Hehe *when* not if but I'll be thinking of how great it is she's in. Bulgaria for sure! :)
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Just catching up on your JB - great report and great racing. Well run, madam.

Thanks Murph, yeah I'm pleased with it, looking forward to racing a bit harder now. Just got to build a base to back it up :)

Nice little run out today, very pleased to report that I came
    race
    Race report to follow after I demolish a glass or two of Prosecco and dress a naked Christmas tree :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Looking forward to reading the report Dubgal! I came home after the BHAA race to find ours already dressed by Bungy Junior using every decoration in the house - it's tat-tastic! Finish off the prosecco before you do yours and it'll look just as good ;)

Running Race Report Wicklow Senior Ladies Cross Country 2014

I went into this with a mixture of dread, fear and...let's be honest, not much else. My club mates had been telling anecdotes of their XC experiences this year; of the mad sprint start, the hills, the drudge, the elbows...in short, the essential ingredients of cross country.

The club coach had predicted a small enough field, 40-50. The good news was that Ms Britton would be otherwise occupied in Bulgaria. Just before going to press (:D) I heard that she came in 6th, and the ladies team probably 3rd so the plane fare over dart fare dilemma was well and truly vindicated for her.
    I had hoped simply not to disgrace myself, it was all the big unknown not having sniffed a whiff of cross country mud in 23 years. So, I would have been happy with being in the first 20 (bronze), first 15 (silver) and first 10 (shiny dazzling gold).

My preparation this week was relaxed enough. I didn't specifically taper but also didn't bust a gut (except for Thursday's session when I nearly burst a blood vessel or three), despite weekly mileage reaching a post-marathon high of nearly 40 miles. Dinner was salmon, mash and corn on the cob followed by two (house measure) glasses of red (here, I was clearly cherry picking from what worked pre-JB last week). I wore my new gorgeous spikes around the house yesterday evening and was like a 5 year old with new pretty shoes, they felt so light and glove like ... "I could have danced danced daaaaaanced all night". Good thing, the dancing was not all night and my head hit the pillow probably before 11.

The warm up started just an hour before start time to allow for breaks for registration, club mate chat etc. I was happy enough with the amount of jogging done (4-5k) followed by drills, 4*50m strides and limber-up hip circles, arm swings etc and a few high knee skips and butt kicks thrown in for good measure while waiting to start.

We had a bit of an inauspicious start when half of us realised we were facing the wrong way as the starter walked across the field. About turn and gun off for the dreaded sprint-and-elbow-scramble. It was actually a civilised, conservative start which found me relaxed and comfortable in the first three (wtf?). For a few hundred metres I did my usual settling down, finding my stride and wondering if it was going to be a slow but tactical race. Checked my breathing after 500m...quieter than the two in our group but heavy enough to indicate the pace wasn't that slow after all.

The 5k course consisted of a 1000m half loop to the finish point and then 2*2k loops. After we passed the finish, with two laps to go, I was holding position with a Parnell athlete (also my category, o/40) on my shoulder. Can't remember when she dropped back but another took her place (senior cat) and the lead. Half way round the loop was a tricky little slope parallel to the cliff and a sneaky headwind. I was feeling strong and pushed a little up here...feck it, if it hurts me I thought, it's going to hurt them too. We dropped 'my category' and ploughed on.

I knew I was going to be pleased with this race, no matter the outcome. There was plenty of support around the course but I (rudely?) didn't acknowledge any one and kept my tunnel vision focus...until on the first slope I heard a little voice call 'maaam, maaam'. I didn't say hello so as I went past my I heard my 4yo's voice call indignantly 'MAM!' which made the lady beside me laugh when I called out 'mwah' and stuck my hand out in a vague resemblance of a wave. As they cut across the course, this was repeated several more times...

Coming up to the end of the first full lap (approaching the 3k mark) something the runner ahead of me asked her coach made me realise she was hurting. I had planned to kick about here on the last lap, with about 150/200m to go, if we were still together. Instead I did something that would hurt her more...and me too. I broke with 2k/1 lap to go and went meaning business. And I paid for it. I pushed up the slope again ('my pain is their pain' was probably my mantra today), easing off near the top when I knew the damage was done. 1000m to go and I was sore, lactic acid filling, form dropping, shoulders raised so I dropped the shoulders, breathed deeply and clipped my stride. Ouch still hurt.

Finally I turned into the finishing strait (400m to go), legs dead, arms dead, not sure of who or how far was behind me. I hadn't looked over my shoulder once so far. I think I risked a half turn of the head shortly after this but didn't see anything. With 150m to go I sacrificed all semblance of form for a finishing kick (self-defeating I know) and came in (still in shock) Wicklow Ladies Senior Cross Country champion....

As I reflect on this over the next days and weeks, I hope it sinks in and that I accept is for what it is. Already I am qualifying it with 'ah it was a really small field', 'ah, Fionnuala B wasn't here' 'ah, my clubmate would have thrashed me if she hadn't been injured' 'ah what if that Greystones woman hadn't been injured'... Another part of me is saying, you were here and they weren't. I hope that is the part that wins my inner battle.

Our club won the men's too and both teams medaled in the team category so winning all round! Well done guys, we rock :D

Oh and post script....my legs are sore. Like I ran a 10 mile race. Damn. :D

Pps. Brooks and Machs are getting a promotion ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Whoop whoop. Feckin brilliant race and a really good report to match. Congrats:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Congratulations.
    Super result.
    Going to have to start indulging in the red wine diet myself if this is what it results in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Wow, that's amazing. You should be so proud. No talking it down lady! I think you have earned some more wine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,533 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

A super, super run. Over that final 500m it looked like 2nd place was gaining ground on you, so I reckon that finishing kick was timed just right to kill off a final assault and you finished with a comfortable lead. County Senior gold medal. They can never take that away from you.

That's fantastic! Wow, what an achievement. Great report, you really had your game face on. I bet Fionnuala's relieved she was in Bulgaria :D. Congratulations and enjoy a well-deserved recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

That's fantastic DG!! Well done, great report too - it felt like I was right there reading it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Great running Dubgal!!!!! Fantastic report, I am in awe. Many more medals where that came from.

Love the wine warmup and prosecco cool down regime :)

But what's a Dubgal doing as wickla champion... When are the Dublin championships? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Wow!!! Deadly, well done!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Super result! County champion is a super title to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Many congratulations - super result :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Absolutely deadly, many congrats, excellent race report! Dont put yourself down one bit, you had a super performance!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Wow! Fantastic to read this!!! That is brill. You should be extremely proud! 2015 is going to be an exciting year for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Great running! We're in good company here on this forum :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Holy moley. Great win! Bravo.

Thank you everybody! I will reply properly...mañana :D

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kildaremum

Wow - be proud and delighted. A win is terrific. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Absolutely fantastic result - sounds like you ran the perfect race and then some!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Well done DG! Cracking run and report.

Whoop whoop. Feckin brilliant race and a really good report to match. Congrats:D
    Thanks K :D Hope to see you at the Tom Brennan, I 'll be relying on you to pace me and bring me in near 20 as you break it ;)
    yaboya1 wrote: »
    Congratulations.
    Super result.
    Going to have to start indulging in the red wine diet myself if this is what it results in :D
    Thanks, at least you're not saying 'but what if you DIDN't drink it :)
    SamforMayo wrote: »
    Wow, that's amazing. You should be so proud. No talking it down lady! I think you have earned some more wine!
    Thanks SfM, I am proud, still buzzing today :) I took your advice there and had some more wine :D
    A super, super run. Over that final 500m it looked like 2nd place was gaining ground on you, so I reckon that finishing kick was timed just right to kill off a final assault and you finished with a comfortable lead. County Senior gold medal. They can never take that away from you.
    Hey, thanks! Dunno if it was finishing kick or flail but glad it did the trick. As this sinks in, it is really making me want to thank the European Championship schedule committee :D Nice running yourself, especially considering I get the impression XC is not your thing?! Nice work on the team gold....no they can never take it away...but we do have to be given them first, awards ceremony?!! :D

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    That's fantastic! Wow, what an achievement. Great report, you really had your game face on. I bet Fionnuala's relieved she was in Bulgaria :D. Congratulations and enjoy a well-deserved recovery.
    Hehe and thanks, she's not the only one who is relieved she was there :D
    laura_ac3 wrote: »
    That's fantastic DG!! Well done, great report too - it felt like I was right there reading it :)
    Thanks Lac3 :D
    annapr wrote: »
    Great running Dubgal!!!!! Fantastic report, I am in awe. Many more medals where that came from.

Love the wine warmup and prosecco cool down regime :)

But what's a Dubgal doing as wickla champion... When are the Dublin championships? ;)
    Thanks annapr, have to keep the liquids in ;) Your comment made me nearly choke on my Prosecco ;) with chuckling, well spotted sharp eyes. What can I say? I have dual citizenship :D born and bred in Dublin but my <3 is in Wicklow :)
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Wow!!! Deadly, well done!!
    Thank you! :D
    pconn062 wrote: »
    Super result! County champion is a super title to have.
    Thanks, when you put it like that...! (Still not quite real) :D
    Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Many congratulations - super result :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Fantastic you're doing Tom Brennan!! I was thinking yesterday that I might not bother but I'll definitely do it if you are .... we can drag each other round :D

• Advertisement

Mimojo wrote: »
    Absolutely deadly, many congrats, excellent race report! Dont put yourself down one bit, you had a super performance!!
    Thank you, really appreciate it! :D
    Ososlo wrote: »
    Wow! Fantastic to read this!!! That is brill. You should be extremely proud! 2015 is going to be an exciting year for you!
    Thank YOU for all your encouragement! 2015...no pressure then?! :D
    Great running! We're in good company here on this forum :)
    Thanks *shucks* :D
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Holy moley. Great win! Bravo.
    Thank you!! :)
    kildaremum wrote: »
    Wow - be proud and delighted. A win is terrific. Well done.
    Thank you kildaremum, I will :D
    Tom Joad wrote: »
    Absolutely fantastic result - sounds like you ran the perfect race and then some!!
    Thanks TJ, the gamble paid off but it coulda ended in tears :)
    Well done DG! Cracking run and report.
    thank you! Feeling good today :D

Fantastic you're doing Tom Brennan!! I was thinking yesterday that I might not bother but I'll definitely do it if you are .... we can drag each other round :D
    Deal :D Might even do the ferrycarrig 5 on the 4th as well, but will be focusing on the TB I think. It's probably a bit of a jump on my part but how cool would it be to start filling in the table on the 1st :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Wow. Fantastic performance and great guts. Super racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

Well done, super result and a most enjoyable race report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Well done, epic....

Wow. Fantastic performance and great guts. Super racing.
    paddybarry wrote: »
    Well done, super result and a most enjoyable race report.
    Well done, epic....
    Thanks, still not quite registered yet. All my non-running friends think it's hilarious I have a 'senior' title. I think they're expecting me to apply for my bus pass next. This is why I love boards :D

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    All my non-running friends think it's hilarious I have a 'senior' title. I think they're expecting me to apply for my bus pass next. This is why I love boards :D

That's so funny. My sis-in-law (perfectly lovely in every other way) regularly asks me if I'm still jogging...

That's so funny. My sis-in-law (perfectly lovely in every other way) regularly asks me if I'm still jogging...
    Blinkin sedentaries.... *eye roll* :D:D

Last week mileage total: 39
    Happy enough with that and intend to stay within the 35-42 bracket for the next month or so, hopefully introducing double runs on a Tuesday and Thursday, gradually.

Monday 15 December
    Rest

Tuesday 16 December
    Core: back to Day 1 of 30 Day Challenge plus a few knee bends and heels drops. This does not mean I have completed the challenge and am repeating the cycle...merely that I completed day 1 a couple of weeks ago. :o

Evening (nearly 9pm :-/ ): 10 miles lsr/recovery run, av 8:40 pace
    This was a post-race 'form and assessment run'. Everything ticked positively. Felt good with little or no remnants of Sunday's race in the legs, even the wind played ball and carried me home from miles 6-9 (despite bringing me to a virtual standstill a couple of times between miles 3-5). Pace ranged from easy to the lower-mid range of steady, no discomfort or forced effort. Nicely tired at finish.

Wednesday 17 December
    3.5 miles easy
    Lack of sleep is beginning to take its toll this week (coughing kids) and nearly didn't go out. Glad I did as looks like the next 3-4 days are going to be enforced rest days :eek: due to usual family baby sitters being occupied with Christmas preparations. How inconsiderate :D
    So with all my spare time :rolleyes: by Monday, you should expect me to be on Day 53 of the 30 Day Challenge :)

• Advertisement

Thursday 18 December
    Rest, club drinks that night. There was dancing involved at the end. Late home for the mil sitting with the kids but luckily I didn't have to face the wrath :eek: as OH got home half an hour before me :D

Friday 19 December
    8miles incl 5.25 tempo run. Felt I was flying on this, pace probably low 7m/m but paid for it as hip started to niggle badly enough towards the end. Getting a second opinion on it next week.

Saturday 20 December
    ?

sun 21 December
    Left it til late enough to go out for this. I had intended a lsr of 90 minutes but hip, hangover and time dictated a 45 min run, hip ok as long as I kept pace easy-steady and concentrated on form.

weekly total 27miles(only four runs:( )

Mon 22 December
    A late run (9pm): 6.5m easy effort at steady pace. Felt good.

Tuesday 23 December
    Early run (9am): no breakfast, just water and isotonic drink which I took with me for after session. This was a fartlek session: 3m warm up to park followed by 4miles fartlek of 10x400m surges with 200m in between each surge. This felt great, felt very strong and pushed myself hard enough. The hip only niggled on the 10th surge and the 200m were at a steady enough pace. 3m jog recovery jog home. All continuous, 10 miles. Really pleased to have got that done with for the day.
    Have a 10k planned for tomorrow but might pare that back if I decide to do a Goal mile on Thursday. There was a 'strictly no running on Christmas Day' rule in our house growing up but I'd really like to do a fast mile...decisions decisions....

Have a Happy Christmas boardsies, remember eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we run it all off! :D:D

That's a pretty good week Dubgal. Drinks, dancing and some good sessions! Ouch re. hip though, hope it's nothing. At the risk of nagging (:D) are you doing your core work ??
    Good luck with the Goal mile if you end up doing it. I don't think I'd be let away with it this year and I'm probably better off saving my legs for the Fat Turkey. Have a good one!

That's a pretty good week Dubgal. Drinks, dancing and some good sessions! Ouch re. hip though, hope it's nothing. At the risk of nagging (:D) are you doing your core work ??
    Good luck with the Goal mile if you end up doing it. I don't think I'd be let away with it this year and I'm probably better off saving my legs for the Fat Turkey. Have a good one!

Haha, it's been a busy one alright! And.....nagging appreciated but, no :( I haven't. I really need to incorporate this into a routine, as well as a few ancillary exercises. How do you do it BG? Anyone else any tips? I have to say I'm pretty ashamed at how woeful I am. I know all about the six weeks to form a habit theory...I need some tips for kicking off the six weeks...
    Same to you, best of luck with it. You sound as if you are feeling good. Always a good sign :)
    Thanks for the nag :D. Merry Christmas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=486

These twice a week (ssh I know it's from the dark side :D) - don't take too long and you will see the results in no time. Well explained too.

Another option is to take a circuits class once a week - I used to be terrible at doing core work at home but at least a circuits class forces me to do some work.

Tom Joad wrote: »
    http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=486

These twice a week (ssh I know it's from the dark side :D) - don't take too long and you will see the results in no time. Well explained too.

Another option is to take a circuits class once a week - I used to be terrible at doing core work at home but at least a circuits class forces me to do some work.

Thanks, I will definitely have a proper look at them later. I like the way it is not just crunches. It really is a case of allocating some time for them and sticking to it (as opposed to putting it mid-way down my list of things to do for the day :D )
    Maybe the minute the 2yo goes down for a nap? "Straight to core...do not deviate...do not procrastinate..." (said in poor imitation dalek voice).

A circuit class would be a good solution but at the moment I am using all my 'get out of the house' cards for running :D
    Bungy Girl allocates Monday as one day for core etc, something I should be doing too as that is also my non-running day.
    Thanks again TJ!

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    A circuit class would be a good solution but at the moment I am using all my 'get out of the house' cards for running :D
    Bungy Girl allocates Monday as one day for core etc, something I should be doing too as that is also my non-running day.
    Thanks again TJ!

I'm sure it would probably be better if I did 'little and often' as opposed to the current Monday madness but a girl has to maximise those Get Out Of The House cards ;) I try to do another Pilates class and/or a Body Balance class on a Friday too, but if that doesn't happen I'll do some of the exercises at home when Bungy Jr's asleep. When I was coming back from a bad back injury and the core work was critical, I'd prioritise it and not allow myself to run until I'd done it. That sort of discipline escapes me now that my back is better :o but prevention is definitely better than cure so I'm going to look at creating some short workouts (another New Years resolution) that I can do at home e.g. a 10 min/15 min/20 min set that I can do maybe 3 times a week in the house. Maybe something like that would work for you too ? Create a playlist to go with it and put a (nagging) reminder in your phone :D

• Advertisement

I'm sure it would probably be better if I did 'little and often' as opposed to the current Monday madness but a girl has to maximise those Get Out Of The House cards ;) I try to do another Pilates class and/or a Body Balance class on a Friday too, but if that doesn't happen I'll do some of the exercises at home when Bungy Jr's asleep. When I was coming back from a bad back injury and the core work was critical, I'd prioritise it and not allow myself to run until I'd done it. That sort of discipline escapes me now that my back is better :o but prevention is definitely better than cure so I'm going to look at creating some short workouts (another New Years resolution) that I can do at home e.g. a 10 min/15 min/20 min set that I can do maybe 3 times a week in the house. Maybe something like that would work for you too ? Create a playlist to go with it and put a (nagging) reminder in your phone :D

When I was disciplined in this regard I found fitness blender was good for short 15/20 min core workouts. Trouble is if you break the routine at all its hard to go back!

Thanks sfM, I'll look into that too. Merry Christmas to you and yours :)

Ok, I didn't make my Christmas Eve planned 10k, and my default 'make up' for that would have been a Goal mile on Christmas Day but I didn't make that either. Not great in the short term but in the bigger scheme of things, so what?!

So by today I was absolutely ITCHING for a run... by Christmas night I informed himself I would be *quote unquote* leaping out of bed FIRST THING (my emphasis) and heading off for a looooong run. Ha.

And after the usual procrastination, lie-ins (not mine this morning), procrastination and teeth brushing (never had a good run on gritty teeth) I finally left the house just after midday. The original intention was for a lsr, 10 miles or so but very possibly more. I have my countdown schedule sorted for next week's XC race sorted and today allowed for an extension - especially after two days of festival rest - so I left the OH with instructions to come looking for me if I didn't return after two hours.

It has been a wet day today. I noticed that but ventured out in fleece leggings and a short sleeved t shirt. I figured I'd be warm, cos I'd be running for a while. It was a great run but not the wisest run. The rain was of the COLD variety so two hours running was not particularly bright but y'know, today I needed to just get out and run..... (Log title ref)

I tried holding myself back but decided to go with the flow by mile 7. I know I am a newbie at all the science of running slow and within heart beat but sometimes you just have to go by how you feel and just run because you fecking love it and that's what I did. I was feeling strong, ridiculously strong for a lsr. I knew that I would have the wind in my face on the way home and was prepared for a bit of grit but a funny thing happened, I actually increased my pace cos I could, so I did. The wind dictated that I leaned into it and was therefore following a perfect full body lean chi running stance. Of course that didn't last forever and with 3 miles to go I was feeling the pinch but feck it, I had done 12 miles by then so could afford to relax.
    A rough 'maymyrun' guide showed that I had run 15 miles in about 2hrs 5mins give or take. I finished soaked, cold and stiff but a few stretches, a hot bath and shower (feckin bath ran cold) and a glass of red (cough cough) = all's well that ends well :D

Sounds awesome. A good day to run :)

Jaysus you nutcase! Well done. In my new invigorated embrace the core work phase I did Jillians Michaels 6 week, 6 pack workout on Christmas Eve and today! It's tough but I have followed her 30 day shred before and it is effective! There is a good mix in it, try it! However I'm that sore I won't be able to get out of the bed in the morning.

• Advertisement
Advertisement