Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Bitch about daily life in NUIG!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

wmirl wrote: »
    ISS do indeed block ports. You can't, for example, connect at all to Steam.

Port 5222 is the default for XMPP. Weird that they'd block that, given that it's an often-used port for communications.

Blizzards battle.net too. They wont let us have any fun :(

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭wmirl

Blizzards battle.net too. They wont let us have any fun :(

Given the bandwidth usage of a bunch of students' downloading games off Steam and Blizzard, it's at least understandable for them to block it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

ISS do indeed block ports. You can't, for example, connect at all to Steam.

Since when? I've used the college network before to download games :D

Since when? I've used the college network before to download games :D

Just tried loading Steam on eduroam and I'm getting a "can't connect to Steam network". I know NUIGWiFi blocks it also. It's been like that for at least a couple of years now.

I'm sure there's ways around it, but I've never been arsed putting that much effort into it since I've UPC at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Mr. G wrote: »
    I understand that ISS have the network set up to only allow certain ports to connect out on, so SMTP on port 25 might not have been enabled to prevent a computer with a virus sending a sh*t load of spam and blacklisting their IPs.

A quick Google looks like it uses port 5222 and 80. Port 80 would be permitted but 5222 may not have been enabled for example. It's not blocked deliberately.
    *steatches head*

Alright, I'll at least pretend to understand that :p

On another note, for you to work in NUIG, is it a requirement for you to absolutely hate your job and have no sort of interaction with customers beyond 'next please'?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    *steatches head*

On another note, for you to work in NUIG, is it a requirement for you to absolutely hate your job and have no sort of interaction with customers beyond 'next please'?

Yes.

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    *steatches head*

I technically work for the college as a tutor, I enjoy teaching my students!

I technically work for the college as a tutor, I enjoy teaching my students!

Admin staff *can* be quite bad. Not all of them of course.

Lecturers in general are down to earth and lovely. Same with library staff. So helpful.

I was really surprised to hear about the gender discrimination in hiring staff after the case recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Lecturers in general are down to earth and lovely. Same with library staff. So helpful.

I was really surprised to hear about the gender discrimination in hiring staff after the case recently.

You're lucky to even get to talk to admin staff. Its as if their opening times are when you have a lecture, lab etc

You're lucky to even get to talk to admin staff. Its as if their opening times are when you have a lecture, lab etc

Except for staff talking money, they're awful in the bialann. Especially subway.

• Advertisement

Don't have to tell me about some of the admin staff. I've been here long enough :pac:
    Except for staff talking money, they're awful in the bialann. Especially subway.

They're not technically employed by the college. Campbells handles the catering in the Bialann (unless that's changed since I last checked)

IMO that was either a farce or blown out of proportion. There's a minuscule number of women involved in CS - that doesn't mean its discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Ficheall

IMO that was either a farce or blown out of proportion. There's a minuscule number of women involved in CS - that doesn't mean its discrimination.

Someone fill me in on the gossip, please!

Interesting. Do we know who those promoted to Senior Lecturer ahead of her were? I'm finding it difficult to find that info.

The only one I've found so far who was promoted in 2014 is John Breslin, and I'm pretty sure everyone knows he's amazing. Who is the guy mentioned in the article that apparently wasn't eligible?

Ficheall wrote: »
    The only one I've found so far who was promoted in 2014 is John Breslin, and I'm pretty sure everyone knows he's amazing.

Heil Cloud :D :pac:

Before anyone jumps down my neck for calling it a farce, here's why I believe it is:

An internal report in 2010

A number of quotes can be taken from it, but IMO the most important are these:
    There are three promotion criteria in the SL Promotion Scheme; i) research and scholarly standing ii) teaching and examining and iii) contributions to the school, university and community.
    Given that men have more advanced research careers (more have
    completed their PhDs, they have far more experience of doctoral supervision, they have published more successfully and won more research grants) it is not surprising that men have been promoted more quickly than women and that this leads to feelings of perceived unfair treatment on the part of many women.

They're not technically employed by the college. Campbells handles the catering in the Bialann (unless that's changed since I last checked)

You're correct, I think it's Aramark that got the contract when it was tendered.

I don't even like Subway anyway.

Ugh. I've just read through that report, and it certainly doesn't make it look as though there's discrimination against women.

Maybe the case in question was different, and it would be nice to see some evidence supporting that, rather than the soundbites fit for a newspaper. Any of that floating around?

Also, from the report:
    "...training in gender awareness for senior managers and
    challenging the male culture"
    Seriously? This report is supposed to have been written by academics, is it not?

Here's more info on it:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1503189886613331/
    Micheline Sheehy Skeffington has recently taken on and won a gender discrimination case against NUIG at the equality tribunal. Perhaps you can help with Micheline's campaign to right this wrong and the gender imbalance at Galway University. This Tuesday 9th at 1.15 pm in the University quad she is going to announce the three conditions she is making to the university for any inclusion in a task force they are setting up (read below to see 3 conditions)
    "It has been reported that I have agreed to help the University with their task force. I have not agreed to do anything formal like this. It does not take a task force to promote 5 women or address the recent round of promotions that was also flawed. These must be addressed first. On Tuesday, I will be making public my 3 conditions to being officially involved in any way. They are attached and I have already given them to the President for circulation at higher university levels.
    I have one suggestion that you might help with: we plan to get as many supporters as possible to come to the NUI Galway Quadrangle at 1.15pm for the announcement of these conditions. The media will be present, hopefully RTÉ TV as well as members of the print press who have already extensively reported our case. It would be brilliant to have as many people –especially women- turn out in our support as possible.

Dr Micheline Sheehy Skeffington’s three conditions for working with NUI Galway.
    The president of NUI Galway has invited Dr Micheline Sheehy Skeffington to help him put right the University’s shocking imbalance of women in senior posts. Dr Sheehy Skeffington would really welcome this possibility and feels she could contribute a lot because of her own experience fighting her case. However she does not want this to simply be a way of brushing the problem yet again under the carpet. Therefore she has three conditions for her involvement

1. That NUI Galway promotes the five other women who, along with Dr Sheehy Skeffington, were interviewed but not promoted in 2009. They want their promotion back-dated to 2009 but are willing to forego any damages because it is the recognition of their worth which means most to them.

2. That NUI Galway admits that the subsequent round of promotions in 2014, for which there have been at least 20 appeals, was also flawed. That NUI Galway immediately puts this right in a way which at least ensures gender balance among the successful candidates, as half those shortlisted and deemed eligible were female.

3. That the aim of any attempt by NUI Galway to address the issue of gender imbalance in senior posts be to have an equal amount of women as men in such posts, and that from now on the percentage of women promoted from each level will reflect the percentage at that level.

Interesting. Do we know who those promoted to Senior Lecturer ahead of her were? I'm finding it difficult to find that info.

The only one I've found so far who was promoted in 2014 is John Breslin, and I'm pretty sure everyone knows he's amazing. Who is the guy mentioned in the article that apparently wasn't eligible?

She mentioned that there wasn't thorough grading of applicants for positions and that it wasn't transparent, and I quote that the university were going to "brush the problem, yet again, under the carpet".

More info on it here:

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/micheline-sheehy-skeffington-i-m-from-a-family-of-feminists-i-took-this-case-to-honour-them-1.2027451
    “There were 46 people from across campus who went for promotion to senior lectureship in the 2008 round,” she says. Of those candidates, 23 men and seven women were shortlisted for interview, of whom Sheehy Skeffington was one. By the end of the selection process, in 2009, 16 men and one woman had been promoted.

I thought it was a load of bull, but I don't know now. I can't believe it would happen in this day and age. I'm torn between both sides tbh, that's my opinion.

You're correct, I think it's Aramark that got the contract when it was tendered.

I don't even like Subway anyway.

Subway is usually a last resort of mine if I can't be arsed walking all the way to 37 West when it's pissing rain :pac:

• Advertisement

A system being flawed does not instantly equate to gender discrimination. Unless you're a lawyer trying to prove your client was discriminated against of course.

Her demands are laughable, and enforcing gender quotas will only hurt the University in the long run. Based on that 2010 report, females are generally speaking the weaker candidate - not because they're female, but because they've done less in their career. Forcing the University to promote weaker candidates just because they're female is a load of bollicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭orl

Always go back to primary sources if in doubt.The original decision is on 9thlevel.ie posted on 25th November

It doesn't look good for NUIG: least academically qualified person was first on the promotion panel, only one woman promoted and she came last on the panel, somebody did not have the required service and was appointed, amazing person came fourth last (she was a mother). I'm sure the college would have appealed if there were weaknesses in the decision. They have appealed the Mary Dempsey one so it's not as if they capitulate every time.

Cheers.

It makes for an interesting read:
    http://9thlevel.ie/wp-content/uploads/SheehySkeffingtonEqualityRuling.docx

I wouldn't agree with all of it, and I'm not 100% convinced that MSS was discriminated against on the simple grounds that she was a woman, but it does look as though the process was a bit of a shambles. Looks like we need a little more bureaucratic red tape. Bring out the Vogons!

Cheers.

It makes for an interesting read:
    http://9thlevel.ie/wp-content/uploads/SheehySkeffingtonEqualityRuling.docx

I wouldn't agree with all of it, and I'm not 100% convinced that MSS was discriminated against on the simple grounds that she was a woman, but it does look as though the process was a bit of a shambles. Looks like we need a little more bureaucratic red tape. Bring out the Vogons!

NUIG have A LOT of red tape as it stands.

That was my point, aye.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭orl

She would never have come first on the panel - her publication record was not good enough. Some men suffered too because of cronyisim. However, like calls to like. So when like1 is promoted, he gives a hand to like2. The problem is there are not too many female like1s. Therefore in NUIG at least women suffer more from cronyism than men.

So now we have even more cronyism with MSS demanding the promotion of these 5 women just because she says so?

And gender quotas are bad news. By all means, fix the system so that people are fairly promoted, but promoting someone just because they are a woman isn't really any better than the cronyism they're supposedly trying to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

So now we have even more cronyism with MSS demanding the promotion of these 5 women just because she says so?

And gender quotas are bad news. By all means, fix the system so that people are fairly promoted, but promoting someone just because they are a woman isn't really any better than the cronyism they're supposedly trying to avoid.

there is an argument that gender quotas can provide the radical shift needed to dislodge lingering sexism in institutions. On there own they are not enough on their own but they are part of the solution.

knowing NUIG they'll bring in quotas and true to fashion will leave it at that instead of actually striving to remove sexism from the universities institutions

there is an argument that gender quotas can provide the radical shift needed to dislodge lingering sexism in institutions.

That's ironic, because gender quotas would be sexist - just not towards females.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

That's ironic, because gender quotas would be sexist - just not towards females.

thats like saying affirmative action is racist towards whites

Advertisement