Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Bitch about daily life in NUIG!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

ciano1 wrote: »
    How do you do this? I've been meaning to since first year :P

In Office 365, Click the Settings Icon at the top-right of the screen > Options.

Click 'Organise Mail' > 'Inbox Rules' > '+' > 'Create a new rule for all arriving messages'

Name of rule is 'Forward to Gmail/etc'
    When message arrives and [Apply to all messages'
    Do the following: Redirect the message

A popup will come up, enter your personal email address, Ok and Save.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

This isn't a complaint, but I thought it might receive the most answers in this thread:o It's only a small question.

But I wonder is there any quite place in NUIG to have an online interview during the day?

My apartment doesn't have WIFI and towns a tad busy for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    This isn't a complaint, but I thought it might receive the most answers in this thread:o It's only a small question.

But I wonder is there any quite place in NUIG to have an online interview during the day?

My apartment doesn't have WIFI and towns a tad busy for it.

Engineering building or a room near BOI should have some empty rooms you can use and get WiFi

Engineering building or a room near BOI should have some empty rooms you can use and get WiFi

You could also I over to the Nursing Library and use a study room since they're nearly always available. Although they are for group study and the nurses can get a bit cranky over there :D

Are there problems with access control today? Anybody know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Thank you :)

Does anyone else really find the hoover-noises in the library really annoying?

Maybe it's just me...

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

Mr. G wrote: »
    Does anyone else really find the hoover-noises in the library really annoying?

Maybe it's just me...

you mean the blow dryer in the toilets? yeah I do!

you mean the blow dryer in the toilets? yeah I do!

Yes, very annoying! They are on every 3 minutes :mad:!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Yes, very annoying! They are on every 3 minutes :mad:!!

It's been a couple years but I always remember the library toilets being among the most disgusting on campus. Even the bar was usually cleaner!

I'd always go for a walk and find a better bathroom (thanks to the Knights Atari, Your man on the can guide :P ) The fresh air was usually helpful for studying too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

Idiots that decide to do their group project together in the study area in the library. Whispering really loud, taljing about the X-Factor and laughing like idiots every minute. Really frustrating when you want some peace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I thought the library would be open late this weekend.:(

MikeSD wrote: »
    Idiots that decide to do their group project together in the study area in the library. Whispering really loud, taljing about the X-Factor and laughing like idiots every minute. Really frustrating when you want some peace.

Man up and tell them to get a group study room. Or get a steward to do it.

Seriously, are they meant to read your mind that you're frustrated?

Seriously, are they meant to read your mind that you're frustrated?[/QUOTE

Never thought as a first year in college, I would have to deal with that sort of behaviour in a university library. It's sad if those kind of people can't realise how inconsiderate and immature they are.

MikeSD wrote: »

Seriously, are they meant to read your mind that you're frustrated?

Never thought as a first year in college, I would have to deal with that sort of behaviour in a university library. It's sad if those kind of people can't realise how inconsiderate and immature they are.

Aww diddums. Welcome to the real world, it has assholes too.

People in University are in the early 20's and by definition assholes by and large.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭wmirl

Yep, because in a university of ~17,000 students, everyone is going to be considerate and nice!

Alright I posted this a while ago. I agree with a lot of what ypu are saying. I was annoyed and needed to vent!

Everywhere on campus is f**king freezing today. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Why is Grindr blocked by NUIG wifi, but Tinder isn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

That poor dog was still on campus today

Totez adorbz, but I feel really bad for it :(

I hope it find its way home soon

• Advertisement

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Why is Grindr blocked by NUIG wifi, but Tinder isn't?

Is it blocked on eduroam?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭united2k11

HugsiePie wrote: »
    That poor dog was still on campus today

Totez adorbz, but I feel really bad for it :(

I hope it find its way home soon

What's the story with the dog? Is he actually lost and he is just staying around NUIG , or what? I seen him in the Cairnes, engineering building and arts milenium computer suites already on different days this week!

united2k11 wrote: »
    What's the story with the dog? Is he actually lost and he is just staying around NUIG , or what? I seen him in the Cairnes, engineering building and arts milenium computer suites already on different days this week!

No idea!

Was he white in colour? Small little enough dog?

I'd love if there was an official NUIG dog. He/She'd be the most loved dog. He could be in the corner by the couches outside the library reception all cuddled up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭united2k11

No idea!

I'd love if there was an official NUIG dog. He/She'd be the most loved dog. He could be in the corner by the couches outside the library reception all cuddled up :)

Yeah, white in colour with a brown collar, i think. Hope he is an official NUIG dog! He's really friendly and he was sitting on the couches in the engineering building with students earlier on today around 6pm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Is it blocked on eduroam?

Blocked on every college wifi looks like. You just can't send or revive messages. It's strange they may have consciously made the effort to block it, yet you can use tinder no bother

No idea!

Seems like NUIG just has to have an official dog :pac: A few years ago, a dog of a masters student, Foxy, became loved by all while hanging outside the library, formed a love-hate relationship with the library staff, and guarded the big yellow thing.

He graduated a while back. :D

wmirl wrote: »
    Seems like NUIG just has to have an official dog :pac: A few years ago, a dog of a masters student, Foxy, became loved by all while hanging outside the library, formed a love-hate relationship with the library staff, and guarded the big yellow thing.

I used to see him walking in to college in the morning with this girl. That was in 2011. I can only presume that by now the girl has graduated and no longer has her dog sitting patiently outside for her.

Some say Foxy is outside another place of work somewhere.

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Blocked on every college wifi looks like. You just can't send or revive messages. It's strange they may have consciously made the effort to block it, yet you can use tinder no bother

I understand that ISS have the network set up to only allow certain ports to connect out on, so SMTP on port 25 might not have been enabled to prevent a computer with a virus sending a sh*t load of spam and blacklisting their IPs.

A quick Google looks like it uses port 5222 and 80. Port 80 would be permitted but 5222 may not have been enabled for example. It's not blocked deliberately.

wmirl wrote: »

I heard - how cute!

Some people are allergic to dogs so it kindof rules out the possibility.

• Advertisement

I understand that ISS have the network set up to only allow certain ports to connect out on, so SMTP on port 25 might not have been enabled to prevent a computer with a virus sending a sh*t load of spam and blacklisting their IPs.

A quick Google looks like it uses port 5222 and 80. Port 80 would be permitted but 5222 may not have been enabled for example. It's not blocked deliberately.
    ISS do indeed block ports. You can't, for example, connect at all to Steam.

Port 5222 is the default for XMPP. Weird that they'd block that, given that it's an often-used port for communications.
    I used to see him walking in to college in the morning with this girl. That was in 2011. I can only presume that by now the girl has graduated and no longer has her dog sitting patiently outside for her.

Some say Foxy is outside another place of work somewhere.
    I thought Foxy's owner was male...?

Though Foxy is no longer at NUIG, his spirit lives on in the students who just won't leave the place, like me!

Advertisement