Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons For Waterford

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

When was the last time a "new" pub opened in Waterford not one that was just renamed but in a new building?,i can think of 5 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

When was the last time a "new" pub opened in Waterford not one that was just renamed but in a new building?,i can think of 5 ;)

Would Revolution be one? There wasn't a pub there before iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

5? Jaysis. I don't think I can think of any

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭Speak Now

???
    Uluru
    Oscars
    Dignity
    The bank
    Kasbah

Not recents I know :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Brendão wrote: »
    Would Revolution be one? There wasn't a pub there before iirc.

Yeah thats one
    ???
    Uluru
    Oscars
    Dignity
    The bank
    Kasbah

Not recents I know :(

I forgot about the bank and the kazbar so thats 7 baker street is another and revolution.

Anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

Dignity was a pub before it was called dignity.
    Katty Barry's wasn't if I remember correctly.
    Kitty kiernans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Dignity was a pub before it was called dignity.
    Katty Barry's wasn't if I remember correctly.
    Kitty kiernans.

Yeah, Dignity was O'Grady's Yard beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I see heineken are refusing to supply their dublin pubs... is it €3 a pint they sell beer for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭dzilla

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

If this comes to Waterford with cheap prices would you not have all the scumbags getting locked and causing trouble?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

STIG83 wrote: »
    If this comes to Waterford with cheap priceswould you not have all the scumbags getting locked and causing trouble?

That would be a concern id have, I'd rather pay a bit more in some other pub knowing that it's safe

Do they have cider ??

PTH2009 wrote: »
    That would be a concern id have, I'd rather pay a bit more in some other pub knowing that it's safe

Do they have cider ??

Thatchers and rekorderlig

Brendão wrote: »
    Yeah, Dignity was O'Grady's Yard beforehand.

O'Grady's yard then :)

We'll hardly see spoons before summer 2016?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

danjo-xx wrote: »
    I see heineken are refusing to supply their dublin pubs... is it €3 a pint they sell beer for.

I read that Heineken wanted different terms than they have asked for before for the Dublin pub, weatherspoons said no and then dropped them From every every pub in uk and Ireland (a contract that was worth €30m a year to Heineken)so it was weatherspoons that actually refused Heineken.

Apparently in the uk the big pub chains hold a lot of power over the suppliers but they have found in Ireland it is the other way around. I can see this changing soon. Weatherspoons already fell out out with Diagio and now Heineken.

Jimjay wrote: »
    I read that Heineken wanted different terms than they have asked for before for the Dublin pub, weatherspoons said no and then dropped them From every every pub in uk and Ireland (a contract that was worth €30m a year to Heineken)so it was weatherspoons that actually refused Heineken.

Apparently in the uk the big pub chains hold a lot of power over the suppliers but they have found in Ireland it is the other way around. I can see this changing soon. Weatherspoons already fell out out with Diagio and now Heineken.

Wetherspoons have a nice selection of beer and IPAs and bottled options. I don't know if they have bulmers / magners in Ireland I know they have other ciders I mentioned previously. Without Heineken and Bulmers they may have a problem suiting the fussy/casual drinker

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

dzilla wrote: »
    Wetherspoons have a nice selection of beer and IPAs and bottled options. I don't know if they have bulmers / magners in Ireland I know they have other ciders I mentioned previously. Without Heineken and Bulmers they may have a problem suiting the fussy/casual drinker

No Bulmers/magners.
    They have Thatchers over here instead. Much nicer and doesnt completely tear the stomach out of you

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

They do cheap food/Pub lunches also in the UK at least .Sometimes including a pint for free with a meal .

No Bulmers/magners.
    They have Thatchers over here instead. Much nicer and doesnt completely tear the stomach out of you

Yeah I like thatchers too, to be honest mate I don't drink the Bulmers or Heineken because there are nice drinks out there but some people wouldnt look past it because it is what they are used too. They are in a drinking 'rut'

The lunch and evening dinners with a pint are some value in the English Weatherspoons

dzilla wrote: »
    Yeah I like thatchers too, to be honest mate I don't drink the Bulmers or Heineken because there are nice drinks out there but some people wouldnt look past it because it is what they are used too. They are in a drinking 'rut'

The lunch and evening dinners with a pint are some value in the English Weatherspoons

Yes ,people get very attached to a particular brand of drink .When back in Ireland i ofter drink at the Porter house ,Dublin City and Bray .There you dont get regular brands as they brew their own beer.Their stout called a pint of Plain is my favorite.

• Advertisement

If this comes to Waterford with cheap prices would you not have all the scumbags getting locked and causing trouble?

Well in North London ,they Wetherspoon refused entry to our native caravan living tribe ,and are being sued for Racial discrimination .http://www.nationalheadlines.co.uk/845787/irish-gipsies-sue-wetherspoons-pub-for-100000-for-race-discrimination-after-it-turned-them-away/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

anto9 wrote: »
    Well in North London ,they Wetherspoon refused entry to our native caravan living tribe ,and are being sued for Racial discrimination .http://www.nationalheadlines.co.uk/845787/irish-gipsies-sue-wetherspoons-pub-for-100000-for-race-discrimination-after-it-turned-them-away/

Did the caravan living tribe win the case?

Did the caravan living tribe win the case?

It has not reached Court yet .They are only looking for 100,000 sterling .lol ,bless them !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

In Dublin they opened with relatively normal prices for the area in Blackrock which kept those who only wanted to get drunk on cheap drink away. After they built up a clientèle of the types of customers they wanted, they lowered the prices to what they are now. Now part of this is because they weren't generating enough footfall, but one of the consequences of this was that people wanting to go in and get hammered at noon weren't seeing likeminded people there but were instead faced with people in suits having lunch or mothers with their children, essentially a very undesirable environment for them.

I can not understand why they opened in ever so posh Blackrock ,Dublin .People living in that area are hardly price concious .They have another i believe in Blanchardstown ,Dublin ,which seems more suited ,as its a very working class area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I can not understand why they opened in ever so posh Blackrock ,Dublin .People living in that area are hardly price concious .They have another i believe in Blanchardstown ,Dublin ,which seems more suited ,as its a very working class area.

Blackrock has a population of around 20,000. Other areas within walking distance would multiply that figure. Plenty of less well off people within that number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

I think its more a matter of them walking into the Irish market rather than marching in. Establishing a presence slowly rather than just snapping up every huge pub that's out there.

In time they'll be taking over more the obvious places. I heard the Church at the end of Henry St. is a done deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

Blackrock is a nice area but isn't as posh as you''re making out by any stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Jimjay wrote: »

They wanted a "Behind closed doors" price fixing agreement to not sell the drinks cheap. Witherspoons turned them down and stopped a 60 million contract.

If the agreement was on paper they would have been done for price fixing.

• Advertisement

Trond wrote: »
    I think its more a matter of them walking into the Irish market rather than marching in. Establishing a presence slowly rather than just snapping up every huge pub that's out there.

In time they'll be taking over more the obvious places. I heard the Church at the end of Henry St. is a done deal.

I thought C&C bought the Church?

Advertisement