Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sleep paralysis, share your story

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

It happened me once. I sleep on my side facing the wall usually.

I woke up like that, well thought that I had woken up. But I felt like there was someone standing beside the bed looking down at me.

I tried to turn my neck but couldn't. I was in a panic trying to turn myself around. Don't know how long I lasted but I tried count to 3 and then turn and I did. Of course there was nobody there.

Never felt fear like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

I used to get them quite frequently when I was 19 or 20 working and living in London. I had no idea for years what it was so it was quite terrifying. Nowadays I get them now and again but nearly always Saturday night/Sunday morning sleeping.

Previous experiences include high winds buffeting where I live even if there is no wind. Someone or lots of people trying to break the door into where I live or the worst is when someone comes in through the window. Which is why I have a pathological dread of open windows at night time.

But now that I know what they are, I can feel detached (most times) from the experience. One time a few months ago, I heard a monstrous hissing/growling combo close to my bed and I said (not really because I was sleeping but in my head): 'Is that the best you can do?'

I felt really badass after that and the sound went away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I'll await the links to this peer reviewed research...

I'll be waiting a while I imagine as well...

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0010945211002978
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1053810012000438
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0010945208001305

Whatever about the causes, out of body experiences are accepted to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭LucidLife

Whatever about the causes, out of body experiences are accepted to happen[/quote]

Dr Charles Tart is worth looking into too but I bet he is too cynical to understand or recognise even after seeing proof

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

'Woke up' couldn't move... realised it was sleep paralysis... chilled out and then woke up properly after a couple of minutes.... simples :P

Like a boss :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

sup_dude wrote: »

I never said OOB experiences aren't accepted. I'm arguing that something physical or spiritual actually leaving the body and going floating around the place is rubbish. IE it's not real, just either a dream/hallucination/the effects of an oxygen deprived/dying brain (in the case of near death experiences).

I never said OOB experiences aren't accepted. I'm arguing that something physical or spiritual actually leaving the body and going floating around the place is rubbish. IE it's not real, just either a dream/hallucination/the effects of an oxygen deprived/dying brain (in the case of near death experiences).

Told you he is to cynical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Its only happened to me once, quite recently actually back during the summer. I woke up probably around 2am or 3am. I couldn't move at all and I saw a black hand above me holding a lit fag and the hand was moving up and down towards my face as if I was smoking it. I had completely forgot where I was. (was staying in a friends spare room) I was a little freaked but I only lasted a couple of minutes until my girlfriend turned over in the bed and I snapped out of it. Couldn't go back to sleep after so I just watched some tv in the living room till the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

LucidLife wrote: »
    Whatever about the causes, out of body experiences are accepted to happen

Dr Charles Tart is worth looking into too but I bet he is too cynical to understand or recognise even after seeing proof[/QUOTE]

Are you refering to the experiment that Tart admitted himself he fell asleep during and had no one else monitoring the subject nor video recording the subject? That's solid science right there in action alright :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭dmm82

oooh its a horrible thing... the first time I got it I was only about 17.... got into bed and all of a sudden all the lights went off except for a big light going past my bedroom window, the whole bed was shaking and there was a huge roaring sound,it was like a train was going past the bed... I could feel something siting on me. I tried to scream for my Dad but couldn't move. Eventually it stopped and I was hysterical!! Ran downstairs bawling, I honestly thought a ghost had been trying to kill me!! My Dad laughed and said it was probably the "D/ T'S" from the weekend (I had been at my first rave that weekend so that was probably true :D )

Still happens me every now and again and always after I've had a mad weekend. And its still as scary every time :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

I get it quite regular, especially with strong chest pains which i still feel when I wake up.

Actually quite worrying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I think I've only had sleep paralysis once. I was staying in my cousin's house and woke up at about 9am, lying on my back and unable to move. It felt like my entire body was weighed down, and I had the feeling that 'someone' was standing in the doorway watching me, but I couldn't move my head to look.

For some reason, I immediately realised what was happening and told myself to go back to sleep. I woke up about an hour later, right as rain. I'll never know why I didn't panic, because it's bloody scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

killanena wrote: »
    Its only happened to me once, quite recently actually back during the summer. I woke up probably around 2am or 3am. I couldn't move at all and I saw a black hand above me holding a lit fag and the hand was moving up and down towards my face as if I was smoking it. I had completely forgot where I was. (was staying in a friends spare room) I was a little freaked but I only lasted a couple of minutes until my girlfriend turned over in the bed and I snapped out of it. Couldn't go back to sleep after so I just watched some tv in the living room till the morning.

Just to add. When I was young, maybe 3 or 4. I used to feel the sensation of being lifted out of bed and held by an old woman. I could never move during these experiences. Id be able to cry and then out of nowhere my light would turn on and my mam would come in and pick me up the same way.
    I have no idea how often that used to happen but they are some of my strongest memories of my childhood around that age. I started using a bed side lamp and it all stopped from there. Haven't experienced that sense.

One time when my girlfriend and I starting going out, I was staying over at hers and I could never sleep well there but she woke up all of a shot before and started choking for about 10 or so seconds. She was terrified and said it felt like someone just shoved their whole fist into her mouth and was trying to push it down her throat. She is still to this day kind of afraid to go to bed but this was nearly 3 years ago.

I don't believe in ghosts, daemons, spirits or any of that but I see how people could with frightful experiences such as these.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Anyone who's gotten this, have you ever tried lucid dreaming? I thought this stuff only happens when people try that and fail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Anyone who's gotten this, have you ever tried lucid dreaming? I thought this stuff only happens when people try that and fail

Nope it happens randomly and to all ages. I had it once when I was a child. It was terrifying.

• Advertisement

Dr Charles Tart is worth looking into too but I bet he is too cynical to understand or recognise even after seeing proof

Are you refering to the experiment that Tart admitted himself he fell asleep during and had no one else monitoring the subject nor video recording the subject? That's solid science right there in action alright :)[/quote]

One nights sleep doesn't erase the mans life work. You know what happens if you dont sleep long term? As I said before think what you will but do a little research and your views may change. All these posters are not lying. And remember this is one little corner of the world. OBE's are recognized in almost every culture in every country

If you think its rubbish why do you feel the need to even post anyway im curious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Wow, I'm shocked so many people have had experience of this.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned aliens yet. There is a massive connection with this to the Alien abduction phenomenon.

Which usually involves a small being coming into ones room and paralyzing them, then either levitating their body up and the feeling of being moved through a wall or window, or doing some creepy stuff to them there in the bed.

Sleep paralysis appears the be what most experts agree is happening for 90% of these alien abduction stories.

Always sounds so terrifying to read about. Never experienced it myself thank fck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Doesn't really happen to me, but the sound of wind blaring in my ears. FFS. That's not soothing!

I live a lucid life :) but all jokes aside I am big lucid dreamer. For a long time. Its similar to a lucid nightmare your right.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

It is so horrible, the worst feeling of not being able to move your head or lift your arm no matter how hard you try.

I imagine it's what being a vegetable is like.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

I said that I experienced the feeling of being pulled to the ceiling, I didn't say it was real. I said that it is a known common symptom of sleep paralysis. I never said it was spiritual but whose to say its not either.

When it happens it has been said that it is the same feeling that people have when they claim to have an out of body experience near death. That's not saying that either experience is 'real' or spiritual or not. People take what they will from it and have their own beliefs about what has happened.

I also explained that it is part of a disturbance between the normal sleep pattern during REM but its not as simple as just dreaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Used to get it fairly regularly, if it was particularly draining I would listen to some music or BBC world service to help me get to sleep more peacefully. Always seemed to help.

I seemed to suffer whenever I was stressed or anxious or my sleep patterns were out of synch.

There is nothing supernatural about it, it's a cause of many perceived paranormal episodes. Notably the out of body dreamers have never been able to prove their remote viewing ability in a scientifically controlled environment.

That's all the evidence you need.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I live a lucid life :) but all jokes aside I am big lucid dreamer. For a long time. Its similar to a lucid nightmare your right.

How long did it take you to get lucid on a regular basis? I tried it for about a week but had no success, was trying the method where you just lay totally still on your back until you dream. Do you keep a diary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭VanishingActs

The first few times it happened I seriously thought I was going insane or something. I felt much better after Googling and realizing it was a 'thing'. I mostly seem to get it when I end up sleeping on my back. Usually I just can't move, but I've had a few times where there was a figure standing over my bed and another time a figure on my chest. It's a horrible experience!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Have had one definite experience which freaked me out. See here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84176289&postcount=1147
    Thinking back there's some other experience that I had that I think might have been sleep paralysis, though it didn't scare me as much. At the time, I thought it was a ghost, now I'm not so sure:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63363411&postcount=801

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭tradhead

I don't know if this counts as sleep paralysis but it was freaky as f*ck.

I was just finished all but one of my final year exams in college. The last one was an online exam that our lecturer refused to give us a date for until the last minute, but which time I had decided to throw caution to the wind and book a holiday with my boyfriend at the time to his family's holiday home in Spain.

The exam turned out to be the morning after we arrived, so I was a teeny bit stressed, and also had a few glasses of wine before bed (ok, maybe I wasn't that stressed!)

At one point during the night, I woke up and saw a man standing at my boyfriend's side of the bed. He was a bit overweight, English or Irish-looking, wearing a white wife-beater vest and a weird orange beaded kind of hat- it looked like in the old comics when the dad at the beach would have a handkerchief knotted at the four corners to shade his head from the sun.

I actually thought to myself that I was hallucinating, but when I sat bolt upright in the bed he was still there. I screamed my head off (not once, but twice) and of course himself woke up not knowing what was happening- at which point the man disappeared and I dissolved into tears trying to explain to him what had happened.

It's never happened to me since but I was really, truly terrified.

How long did it take you to get lucid on a regular basis? I tried it for about a week but had no success, was trying the method where you just lay totally still on your back until you dream. Do you keep a diary?

I still find it hard to just turn it on any given night. Or else I don't remember. No I definitely dont keep a diary as these dreams get ridiculous with me. I have been lucid the last 3/4 night again but hadnt been all summer and I tried my damndest a few times. I spent about 4 months lucid almost every night maybe 4 years ago. I wasnt able stop it and was drained from it. Some use a coin to half wake them..
    Place coin upright on saucer on your chest and nod off...or anything similar...the sound will remind you your awake/asleep. Thats how people train themselves I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

tradhead wrote: »
    I don't know if this counts as sleep paralysis but it was freaky as f*ck.

I was just finished all but one of my final year exams in college. The last one was an online exam that our lecturer refused to give us a date for until the last minute, but which time I had decided to throw caution to the wind and book a holiday with my boyfriend at the time to his family's holiday home in Spain.

The exam turned out to be the morning after we arrived, so I was a teeny bit stressed, and also had a few glasses of wine before bed (ok, maybe I wasn't that stressed!)

At one point during the night, I woke up and saw a man standing at my boyfriend's side of the bed. He was a bit overweight, English or Irish-looking, wearing a white wife-beater vest and a weird orange beaded kind of hat- it looked like in the old comics when the dad at the beach would have a handkerchief knotted at the four corners to shade his head from the sun.

I actually thought to myself that I was hallucinating, but when I sat bolt upright in the bed he was still there. I screamed my head off (not once, but twice) and of course himself woke up not knowing what was happening- at which point the man disappeared and I dissolved into tears trying to explain to him what had happened.

It's never happened to me since but I was really, truly terrified.

Feckin English, even invading our dreams....

Sleep paralysis, wouldnt wish it on an enemy :)

I get it, and my son does also. I first began to get it, when I was pregnant with him

Wonder is there some corellation? I know some researchers believe it is hereditary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

I've never had sleep paralysis but it sounds terrifying and fascinating.

Apparently it's highly genetic, and alcohol aggravates it. I used to play my guitar next to my flatmate's room and it often gave him sleep paralysis when he'd been drinking.

Not sure if my playing contributed to that, too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭GalwayGuitar

Here is a good method: get 6 hours of sleep. Then get up and be active for an hour. Read a book or go for walk etc. Then go the back to sleep. Hopefully you will fall asleep but your brain or part of it, will think you're still awake.

If it works you'll lucid dream. The next steep is to realise you're dreaming. Since lucid dreams are so vivid you may well think you're actually awake, and as such won't do anything you normally wouldn't. My technique is to look at the time on my phone (or any clock or watch) and then look at it again. The second time you look, the time will have changed. Now you know you're dreaming and can start to explore your dream. The hard part now is not to wake up.

As for sleep paralysis, I occasionally get it. Sleeping on your back definitely increases the risk. I rarely hallucinate, only once did I experience a heavy weight on my chest. A few times I felt myself being pulled out of the bed and being thrown violently around the room. Why can't the hallucinations ever be pleasant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Got this for the first time last week, so funny that this thread happened to crop up.

I was asleep in the bed, then woke up to the knowledge that people had broken into the flat and were in the hallway outside our room. Tried with all my might to get up or shout but was completely devoid of the power necessary to move my body or make a sound. The gf said I was making slight jerky movements in my sleep and making the odd whimpering sound.

Found it very distressing. Would not recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Yokes

/Thread

conorh91 wrote: »
    I've never had sleep paralysis but it sounds terrifying and fascinating.

Apparently it's highly genetic, and alcohol aggravates it. I used to play my guitar next to my flatmate's room and it often gave him sleep paralysis when he'd been drinking.

Not sure if my playing contributed to that, too.

That's exactly what it is, terrifying and fascinating. Once I found out it was natural I could still feel the terror during the event itself but laugh once I was awake.

GerB40 wrote: »
    That's exactly what it is, terrifying and fascinating. Once I found out it was natural I could still feel the terror during the event itself but laugh once I was awake.

If your laughing at the event your not sharing the same experience as most here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭CdeC

This has happened a few times to me but not in ages. Always a feeling of unbelievable terror and trying to scream for someone to help me but not being able to make a sound or move. Just awful.
    Lived with a guy who had it for the first time and he was so shook. Was relieved when I told him what it was. He pretty much thought he was going through the start of some sort of nightmare on elm street horror movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

I used to get a thing where id dream that i couldnt breath, and actually stop breathing in my sleep.

id try desperately to wake up and get breathing again and would do so at the last minute, gasping for breath. This always happened when id stay out for a whole weekend, keeping myself awake on something stronger than coffee....

If your laughing at the event your not sharing the same experience as most here

I'm laughing after the event, when I'm fully awake and consciously aware of what just happened. As I said, I got used to them.. I have no doubt others have had worse experiences than I but when I knew what was happening the terror quickly subsided. Going from "I'm literally getting killed" to "This again, fúck off and let me sleep" is what made me chuckle. I've actually felt an adrenaline boost after waking up from these events which does prove that mine were tamer than others..

I haven't had any since I gave up drink and drugs so that kinda proves to me to me that these weren't your average natural ones, just chemically induced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

It started happening to me about 10 years ago when I was on shift work. I don't believe in ghosts normally but I was convinced the house was haunted. I sold the house and it happened in the new house too AND the next one.

I'd wake up and there would be something standing beside me at the head of the bed, I could just about see it out of the corner of my eye. It felt like it was pure evil and wanted to kill me. I'd try moving or shouting but would be completely frozen. This would last a short time and I'd wake up shouting. I actually punched my wife once. Scary stuff.

It rarely happens now, I've been off shift work for 7 years and rarely drink, maybe that has something to do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

Been experiencing this for a while now. Only today did I find out that it has a name and that others get it!! :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Same fat bitch all the time. Big masculine woman with brown bobbed hair, wearing a checked shirt and when I open my eyes she is right there nose to nose with me and then slowly moves away but still stands lookin at me. Not as regular but as frightening as ever when it does happen.
    I find it happens more often if I'm sleeping in a strange room or if I haven't closed the blind properly and not used to the moonlight shining in making shadows etc. Or if I have a jacket/ dress ... hanging on back of wardrobe door

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I've only had it once and that was New Years day of this year. Obviously, I'd been on the lash the night before and I awoke with this face staring down at me and I felt suffocated and couldn't move.

At first, I thought I had pulled someone horrific who was starting some weird kinky shít but after a few seconds I realised whatever I was staring at was not human. After about thirty seconds I woke up with my three friends staring at me wondering why I was screaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

heldel00 wrote: »
    Same fat bitch all the time. Big masculine woman with brown bobbed hair, wearing a checked shirt and when I open my eyes she is right there nose to nose with me and then slowly moves away but still stands lookin at me. Not as regular but as frightening as ever when it does happen.
    I find it happens more often if I'm sleeping in a strange room or if I haven't closed the blind properly and not used to the moonlight shining in making shadows etc. Or if I have a jacket/ dress ... hanging on back of wardrobe door

Haha that sounds awful. It sounds like Mary Harney :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

A cross between Mary Lou and Mary Harney!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Have it for over a decade along with other parasomnias. Have not had an incident in the last year however. At one point I was having up to 2 a week. When you have them enough they end up being bothersome more than anything. Waking up unable to move, aware why you can't move but wanting to adjust yourself before going back to sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭madalig12

Have not had these is a while but used to quite a bit. Never saw figures though, for me it was like my arms and legs were being held down or pulled out of bed. Remember trying to scream continously with no sound until i eventually did out loud. Freaked me out a good bit but i found if my head was lower on the pillow this wouldnt occur. So i dont let blood run to my head at night;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Cfour

I've been getting these for years so I am aware that it's sleep paralysis as it starts to happen. however the experience is so realistic, I am convinced every time, that it's actually happening, this time for real.
    I 'wake up' paralysed and too frightened to breath. I hear someone approaching the room, the creaks on the stairs, the turning of the door handle etc. I can't open my eyes but I can feel/hear the person approaching the bed, sitting on the edge right next to me, weighing down on the duvet and breathing on the side of my face. The sensation is horrific.

The way I deal with it is to tell myself to calm down and to take deep breaths. I remind myself that I will always snap out of it before 5 deep breaths and once that happens I can scream/push him off. However, once I snap out of it I don't need to scream because there's no one there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

it happened to me last year. i slept in the spare room because I wanted to read and the mrs was sleeping in our own room. I must have fallen asleep and then thought I was awake because I heard a woman at the end of the bed praying or chanting in whispers. I then felt the duvet being slowly lifted at my feet and this person slowly crawling up the bed. I was frozen with fear at this stage and fully awoke. I had assumed my wife had slept walked and got into the bed so I slowly moved my hand to the other side of the bed but there was no one there. I wasn't sure if I was relieved or terrified at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

I get it every few months, usually if the day before was stressful or I went to bed over-tired.

The last time I opened my eyes and couldn't take a breath. I could look across my room at my door but couldn't move the rest of me or (at least it felt like) move my lungs enough to breathe.

I heard a strange, harsh voice whispering my name and I went to scream. To me, the scream sounded mangled and loud but it can't have been too loud as it didn't wake anyone in the house up!

There seems to be a lot of incidences being reported on here where a whisper is heard or a non-person is seen. Wonder what causes that part.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

Thank God this isnt just me. Ive had it a few times. In my parents house ive seen dhadows at the door. Tried screaming but couldnt. Would eventually wake up. Worst was i was staying on a boat on the shannon. Went there after a heavy weekend to take a break. I woke to what i can describe as old man indian chief type person beside my bed praying. Couldnt move or scream. Soon realised it was this dream again so closed my eyes real tight and opened again. Only this time he was still there. Took a few goes to wake from this one. Definitely a chemical reaction. Scary as fook

• Advertisement
Advertisement