Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Worst Ever Christmas Song?

Options
  • 08-12-2014 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭

What is/are the worst Christmas songs ever?

I had the misfortune to hear a thing called Grandma got run over by a reindeer. Utter drivel. The melody is ripped off from an obscure 1940s Westernswing song called A Mother gave a son (much better song btw: unfortunately, the performer of A mother gave a son, Cliff Bruner, is dead and can't sue whoever stole his melody). With the unoriginal melody out of the way, we get to the worst part of this seasonal turkey: the lyrics! Silly and unpleasant all at once, this song neither succeeds as comedy, as a country song or as a Christmas song. I have heard a lot of Christmas songs ranging from religious to secular but this thing is definitely the worst of the ones I heard.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Christmas. Effing. Shoes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Alicat wrote: »
    Christmas. Effing. Shoes.
    ^^^ This. Times a thousand.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

anything that Michael Buble has sung has ruined the songs!! Can't stand him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Slade, i wish it could be Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Christmas Shoes, made worse by the fact that I seem to know most of the words. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

A Spaceman Came Travelling. For a start I absolutely hate Chris de Burgh, and also it is a really terrible song about an alien visiting baby Jesus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Stay another day E 17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Cliff Richard - Christmas Time.

Pure S***e!

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

Fairytale of new york. Over rated and over played crap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

Most of them, to be honest - I'm sure the list of good Christmas songs is much shorter...

• Advertisement

Cliff Richard - Christmas Time.

Pure S***e!

The Lord's Prayer thing too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

efb wrote: »
    The Lord's Prayer thing too

Even worse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Sometimes, one gets tired of the same songs over and over. Not that I'd hate them, but just overdone overheard.

In the shops, it is like a constant loop of Simply having a wonderful Christmastime, It will be lonely this Christmas, All I want for Christmas is you, White Christmas, Rock and roll Christmas, and the modern take on Santa Claus is coming to town.

In the pub, it is a constant Fairytale of New York by the Pogues. I actually prefer the Christy Moore version which is rarely played.

Thankfully, I am not hearing that Grandma reindeer cr&p as much ...

Even worse!

Ah! Good ol' Cliff! There was a time he was always in the charts at Christmas. Mistletoe and wine, The lord's prayer are two of them as is He is calling you on the Saviour's day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Its a toss up between Grandma got run over by a reindeer and fairy tale of new York. Both absolutely horrible songs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

A slow version of Silent Night is often more suitable for a funeral, than a "cheery christmas song"

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Straylight

Wonderful Christmas Time grates on my nerves like no other Christmas song, probably because I had to endure it every hour or so when I worked in a shop at Christmas. And I know this won't be popular round these parts, but I really hate Driving Home for Christmas. It just sounds to me like he's making up the lyrics as he's going along.

Of course there's a special place in hell reserved for the perpetrators of Christmas Shoes. It's possibly the worst song of all time, not just the worst Christmas song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Geraldine aka peter kay Once Upon a Christmas Song

File:OnceUponAChristmasSong.jpg

At this time of year- Craig from BB1

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Spookyspook

Last Christmas-wham

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Just listened to that Christmas Shoes drivel, it's hard to believe it was released in the past 15 years! Horrible sentimental shoite. Ugliest shoes ever made too. Gets my vote for worst Christmas song/worst song/worst video/worst miming etc. Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭wardy2

The cheeky girls - have a cheeky christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Straylight wrote: »
    And I know this won't be popular round these parts, but I really hate Driving Home for Christmas. It just sounds to me like he's making up the lyrics as he's going along.

Same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mandylevo

Really hate Last Christmas by Wham,and my daughter and I watched the video for East17 Stay and thought it was one of the most ridiculous things I've seen in ages, God it's so tacky

Straylight wrote: »
    Wonderful Christmas Time grates on my nerves like no other Christmas song, probably because I had to endure it every hour or so when I worked in a shop at Christmas. And I know this won't be popular round these parts, but I really hate Driving Home for Christmas. It just sounds to me like he's making up the lyrics as he's going along.

Of course there's a special place in hell reserved for the perpetrators of Christmas Shoes. It's possibly the worst song of all time, not just the worst Christmas song.

Thankfully, I have not heard Christmas Shoes and from what everyone says, I want to keep it that way! I agree with Wonderful Christmas Time and other such songs: personally, I don't find anything wrong with them per se apart from being jaded by them constantly being on! Visiting a shop let alone working in one makes one over familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭DeniG2

Christmas Shoes +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

What's Christmas shoes then?thankfully i have avoided hearing it it seems

Last Christmas-wham

Blasphemy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

KC161 wrote: »
    What's Christmas shoes then?thankfully i have avoided hearing it it seems

Look it up on Youtube, you won't regret it.

Actually no, you'll totally regret it, but you won't forget it.

It's a display of bad songwriting, bad singing, bad film direction and bad dentistry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I despise Paul McCartney-Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time.

Advertisement