Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any one every have an operation?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭cookie24

For me....the removal of a pilonidal cyst which was 5 inches deep and diameter of 10 cent coin. Not very nice with about 3 month recovery time. Bandages changed daily which was rather painful.
    Wisdom tooth by the dentist. Took about 2 hours. He said afterwords it should have been done under general anesthetic. All the roots were curled inwards, so he first had to saw off the top of the tooth and then remove the individual roots. This is after him trying to pull out the entire thing. Extremely painful.

My mam...wisdom teeth under general anesthetic. But they had to dislocate her jaw to be able to get in at them. From what she has said its not a nice thing to go through.

ETA: about 6 months later a root the dentist never pulled came out. No pain but pretty bizarre.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Finally home and they've taken the píss!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

ryanf1 wrote: »
    A dry socket is another problem entirely and can be quite an emergency.
    What did he take to open his bowels? Im not the most regular at the best of times and I know all about the sore bum you can get, meant a quite embarassing visit to my GP even though I'd trust him with anything.

I have no idea what it was called but he has been back and forth to the doctor taking all sorts since the surgery. He had to take some kind of laxative and then he had some kind of cream/ointment for his .. delicate areas shall we say.

His oral surgeon wouldn't prescribe any painkillers for him, told him just to take neurofen and paracetamol which I was not impressed at - that's what caused all the problems I think. He was taking them for 2/3 weeks until they got the problem with the socket sorted out.

Best of luck anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,963 ✭✭✭✭bnt

After I had my appendix out, I developed a post-op fever, run some horrendous temperature, and had fans pointed at me for several days. I remember thinking "I feel fine, what's all the fuss about?" It was a hospital in a small-ish town in rural South Africa, I wonder whether that had something to do with it ..?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 15,693 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I was in hospital not so long ago this year actually. I had a twisted intestine. Not very nice and extremely painfull. The worst pain I have ever experienced. Anyways they had to operate on me to do that and they took out my appendix too (: . Feckers they did not even ask like. They were gona do keyhole surgery but in the end had to open me up to fix the intestine. The staples were a surprise for me too. I still remember the first nurse after saying we need to clean your staples. My jaw nearly dropped to the floor. I did not think getting them out two weeks later was too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭mags1962

I've also had my Gall Bladder removed a few years ago but what complicated it was that it was still attached to my diseased Liver at the time and I was one lucky guy.
    The morphine pump just caused me to hallucinate and stopped me from sleeping properly but the most important thing to remember is that there is always somebody in a much worse position than yourself so forget the self pity and get on with it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I loved it. Passed out to the sight of a fine young trainee German Nurse and up with shaved pubes and my boxers in a bag :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I had a tiny cyst removed from my back there in June gone by. There was a Girl beside me with big boobs waiting to be called but it was her mother I was looking at :D.... Bloody fine thing she was.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,182 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I had one to put screws in my leg and get patched up after a motorbike crash.
    Remember feeling drowsy beforehand after the anaesthetic, then I thought I blinked and turned to the nurse and asked her "am I going in now?"
    She says "no, we are all done now! You are coming out!"
    I looked down and saw patches on my shoulders,elbows,hands and legs and a cast on one leg!
    Felt like a right Dopey F*cker!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dexter Bip

Candie wrote: »
    Have to have my wisdom teeth removed under general anesthetic. I'm really not looking forward to it.
    Yeah Candie I had 3 taken out with no problems (not all at same time though), the relief from having them out, you just feel so light afterwards rather than the constant tension, pain and pressure... It's well worthwhile.

Same here. Misery for a few days but longtime relief. Had general anaesthetic a few times. Chainsaw accident/abdominal surgery/septoplasty/tonsillectomy/wisdom tooth. You never get used to the sensation of going under or how quickly you come to afterwards. Remember telling nurses how to barbeque chicken while on post op trolley. Hope they liked it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Dexter Bip wrote: »
    Same here. Misery for a few days but longtime relief. Had general anaesthetic a few times. Chainsaw accident/abdominal surgery/septoplasty/tonsillectomy/wisdom tooth. You never get used to the sensation of going under or how quickly you come to afterwards.

Im having all 4 of mine out next Thurs. Only 2 are a problem but surgeon wants to take them all because she says they will become a problem in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Glad you're home all right OP, take it easy, work can wait.

Next time I'm stuck in hospital I'm posting here too, that would make hospital insomnia more bearable.

I HATE THE SWISHY PILLOWS :mad: They're the work of the devil.

Woshy wrote: »
    I have no idea what it was called but he has been back and forth to the doctor taking all sorts since the surgery. He had to take some kind of laxative and then he had some kind of cream/ointment for his .. delicate areas shall we say.

His oral surgeon wouldn't prescribe any painkillers for him, told him just to take neurofen and paracetamol which I was not impressed at - that's what caused all the problems I think. He was taking them for 2/3 weeks until they got the problem with the socket sorted out.

Best of luck anyway!
    He's still suffering with it? The cream will have been Daktacort: green and white tube that you keep in the fridge. Ive been given fairly strong painkillers and I just discovered one causes constipation and the other Diarrhoea so my hope is they will counteract each other and my bowels will move normally, not optimistic though

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

cookie24 wrote: »
    For me....the removal of a pilonidal cyst which was 5 inches deep and diameter of 10 cent coin. Not very nice with about 3 month recovery time. Bandages changed daily which was rather painful.

*Googles pilonodial cyst*

:eek: Jaysus

He's still suffering with it? The cream will have been Daktacort: green and white tube that you keep in the fridge. Ive been given fairly strong painkillers and I just discovered one causes constipation and the other Diarrhoea so my hope is they will counteract each other and my bowels will move normally, not optimistic though

Lets just say the original constipation caused further, more painful bum problems! Hopefully your drugs won't cause too many problems anyway :)

Had a few operations in my life but had a particularly bad experience last time so that memory is making me more nervous than I need to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Yeah, the constipation is not nice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Itzy wrote: »
    Anyone every have a procedure done before? I'm stuck in hospital after having my appendix removed yesterday and dreading the thought of possibly having my gallbladder removed tomorrow. My stomach already hurts like fúck. So I'm posting here to take the píss out of it and hopefully take my mind off it as I do some work as well.

Six of em. The anaesthetic is a hoot!
    Relax. It'll be grand:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

cookie24 wrote: »

I had surgery for the very same hellish ailment 3 times. Definitely makes one feel very grateful to have health.

Other surgery included removal of appendix (straightforward) and surgery for a torn Achilles tendon (this time last year) So hoping for an accident free 2014, do far so good, hope I've not just jinxed myself

Yeah, the constipation is not nice.

That time was a much bigger operation but I went 9 days without emptying my bowels before action was taken by my GP and had one that day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

A friend of mine was in hospital one time for an operation of the nether region :eek: The orderly came to him on the morning of his operation armed with shaving foam and razor I'm here to shave you he said my friend said that's grand I already shaved I need to shave your pubes the orderly said :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Sam Kade wrote: »
    A friend of mine was in hospital one time for an operation of the nether region :eek: The orderly came to him on the morning of his operation armed with shaving foam and razor I'm here to shave you he said my friend said that's grand I already shaved I need to shave your pubes the orderly said :D

That reminds me of a terrible joke I heard once..

Patient wakes up and in a very low whisper says to a young doctor..."Are my testicles black?".....doctor looks under the blanket and says no, they're not in a confused voice.

Doctor goes on about his business and the nurse asks the patient what he said to the doctor.

Patient : I just asked him "Are my test results back?"

boobar wrote: »
    I had surgery for the very same hellish ailment 3 times. Definitely makes one feel very grateful to have health.

Other surgery included removal of appendix (straightforward) and surgery for a torn Achilles tendon (this time last year) So hoping for an accident free 2014, do far so good, hope I've not just jinxed myself

Having been very ill and in hospital recently I've really realised how true it is that your health is your wealth. I was completely debilitated for about two months but it was pregnancy related so for a particular reason and for a finite time. My heart really goes out to anyone suffering from a long term illness that has to live like that permanently.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Cue the most massive erection he'll ever have!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Cue the most massive erection he'll ever have!
    :confused: The orderly was a man and so was my friend who isn't merry.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 KimmyKims

Tonsils out when i was 18 in 2004

Radical hysterectomy in 2012 for Cervical Cancer. What a fun time...

Had surgery last Tuesday to remove some other stuff so recovering from that now. Not going particularly well but ive been through worse.

Hope all is well :)

KimmyKims wrote: »
    Radical hysterectomy in 2012 for Cervical Cancer. What a fun time...

Had surgery last Tuesday to remove some other stuff so recovering from that now. Not going particularly well but ive been through worse.

Hope all is well :)

Your very young to have surgery like that. I know there wasn't really any other option but women 20 years older than you go into that operation reluctantly. My mum had it age 40, not cancer but it was a last resort and Doctors had been putting it off for years and in the end only did it because there was no other option.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 KimmyKims

Your very young to have surgery like that. I know there wasn't really any other option but women 20 years older than you go into that operation reluctantly. My mum had it age 40, not cancer but it was a last resort and Doctors had been putting it off for years and in the end only did it because there was no other option.

Indeed it was very hard to go through but i just wanted the cancer gone. My oncologist gave me every test and scan under the sun to determine the best course of treatment and unfortunately it all had to go. I consider myself lucky really , im here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

As a boy of about 12 was refereed to the Eye, Ear and Throat hospital for acute tonsillitis, about a week later I arrived at admissions and the doctors declared me fit and did not admit me.

A few years later I was sent in with symptoms of appendix, again sent home and not admitted.

Fear of the hospital seemingly cured me.

However, after 50 more years of self curing, I've had a month in patient and a triple heart bypass and all that goes with that, and last month had my eye cataract removed, so now I see the world in crystal clarity.

I guess you are better by now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

I'm actually in the hospital here with the Mrs. She's in for a Colonoscopy.
    She's bloody milking it for all it's worth, a nightmare all day yesterday because she had to fast.

I didn't help much when I offered to loosen up things down below ahead of the procedure

Advertisement