Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Policing Budget Chit Chat

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Cromlech

pb82 wrote: »
    Corrupt to the core

Totally agree, we need an overhaul but no doubt it would end up the same story again, especially with the younger politicians being mentored by those currently in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

It's like giving the keys to the sweetie shop to a group of children. You can't blame them if they trash the place and eat all the sweets.

You blame the people who gave them the keys ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

It's alright. Wait until the next marching season, the MLA's will be out in force to help us police the parades etc lmfao!!!!!!

Mop a top wrote: »
    It's alright. Wait until the next marching season, the MLA's will be out in force to help us police the parades etc lmfao!!!!!!

Sure they could put their people skills to good use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Rj408

We have too many MLA'S as it is, employing their family with their expenses and the cost of running that administration is massive. Too many staff too high a wage.

It's a sad state of affairs for people who want to join the police. I would imagine the old guard who are nearing retirement are worried the direction the cuts are going to take the PSNI in. We can barely police our streets as it it. Patton said 7,500.... last year PSNI said min of 7,000 and at the moment we have around 6,800 and 20 leaving a month. The numbers are just about being replaced and the force is bleeding.....It doesn't look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

I was speaking to someone in the know there about it, and they seem to believe that the chief is playing the politicians at their own game, you want to reduce budgets to the core, okay then this is what you will get, if the policing board and assembly think this is okay there is seriously something wrong with NI. Understatement.

You can't help but wonder is someone actively trying to sabotage the DOJ within NI, it's not like we've had a peaceful history or even peace as we speak, with the psni saying the terror threat is at at an all time high, and the budget is being cut at the neck, you can't help but wonder what the politicians are playing at. I can say a lot more there but I'm trying to be pc and level minded. I'm a 90's baby but even I realise that the politicians that run this country are dinosaurs living in the past with their own personal agendas at the core of their politics and can't put their bitter diferences aside for the sake of prosperity, I'm not just talking about the psni budget but the education budget etc too, everything, I'm more worried about my own prosperity and the opportunity to financially provide for a family than political gain. Should have done as many of my friends have done and that's leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

http://www.channel4.com/news/northern-ireland-police-service-psni-troubles-budget

Interesting report on the cuts within the PSNI and the fear it will spill out across the UK

http://www.psni.police.uk/chief_constable_s_formal_report_to_northern_ireland_policing_board_meeting_4_december_2014

There's the Chiefs report that was discussed at today's policing board meeting. He confirms intake 11 in January 2015 will be 40 as stated every squad after that will be done on course by course basis, they have an additional 56 million budget from the treasury and doj whether that makes up for anything I don't know, but he did say that they will work to maintain operational resilience at 6963. Anyway it will be interesting to say the least within the next couple of weeks with ac results coming out soon.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 63 ✭✭GavinusMaximus

This is from the DOJ budget review which is linked in the bbc article.

NI Community Safety College

It is likely that planned budget reductions will affect employee numbers, training policies and methods of training delivery within the three Services involved in this project.
    This may in turn, therefore, have a direct impact on the configuration and
    projected usage of the College, as well as the ability of the Services to meet future running costs.

The NI Community Safety College Steering Group (chaired by the Accounting
    Officers of DOJ and DHSSPS) therefore concluded that, given the number of uncertainties
    and high exposure to risk, it was necessary to pause to review the position. This view was
    shared by the Accounting Officers of the three Services, who also sit on the Steering Group.

Work is now underway to establish the training needs of the three Services in the
    current financial climate, and the infrastructure needed to support it. The review will consider sites and premises currently owned by the three Services and Policing Board, including Desertcreat. When this work is completed, the Steering Group will review the position and report to Ministers and the Executive for their views.

Looks like Desertcreat could maybe do with changing his username, it doesn't seem as though their any rush on the "new" training centre.
    I guess this is better than cutting more recruits, otherwise they'd have no one to train!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭valor rorghulis

They say the Twaddell camp costs 40k a night in policing, new starters on 19k. Wonder how many new constables that would have funded.

• Advertisement

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-30423672

The pay rate for some Personal Assistants helps explain the state of financial affairs in this country.

Advertisement