Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Policing Budget Chit Chat

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Just to confirm,campaign 2 refers to the one which is at the assessment centre stage yes?

Yes; Campaign 1 aka 1309 (September 2013) Campaign 2 aka 1405 (May 2014)

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Suzuka

All the more reason to try and score as high as possible at the AC! not that I can since I've done mine already :( lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Rj408

Does anyone have any intel on the actual numbers they are taking from campaign 2? Real sucker punch that the recruitment will be scaled back and stopped due to budget cuts, I hope the politicians can sort this out and things will be back to normal soon.

Its just about started again after what 4(?) years of nothing and now they are going to stop again? I mean none of us are getting any younger and those of us who have been waiting for this a number of years when they were not recruiting its even more frustrating!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 tino77

Just saw a story on the bbc website that the NI executive has agreed a £100m loan from the treasury.

I'm no economist but as David Ford says it is like taking out a second credit card when you've maxed out the first. From our point of view may be good for those in campaign 2?

tino77 wrote: »
    Just saw a story on the bbc website that the NI executive has agreed a £100m loan from the treasury.

I'm no economist but as David Ford says it is like taking out a second credit card when you've maxed out the first. From our point of view may be good for those in campaign 2?
    I dunno I'm not holding my breath especially since this line is in the article:
    the loan allows the executive to deal with urgent financial pressures in the health service, the PSNI and services for victims.

Makes me think PSNI will be under big pressure to use any extra money to bring back HET or pump more money into legacy issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

From what I've heard campaign 2 is going ahead as planned, and there is no other plans to stop that, even without this now 30 mil they're getting or whatever it is. HET I don't think will come back, there is a lot of politicking involved here regarding budgets etc and HET and any officer can say otherwise, but I know a lot especially the old guard, didn't look upon it well within the PSNI, paying people to police and question the police is essentially the way it is looked upon by many. You could see more volunteer redundancy within the PSNI again, not the same scale as Patten but it's up in the air from what I've heard through sources, would make a lot of new room for recruits on 19k and getting rid of some of the older generation on the guts of 50k for the old guard etc, time will tell all I suppose, there is a lot of speculation from everyone in the service too, so take what you hear from people with a pinch of salt including myself because what I've heard and the same as many others is hear say.

Everyone says recruitment stops the minute budget cuts enter the equation but not trying to reassure myself or anyone on here that isn't an option now because of the moratorium on recruitment the last few years, and the fact they're facing a staffing crisis as we speak, maybe 10 years ago when there was 7600 officers they would have stopped it, the campaign for January has been shelved as the chief con has said, I reckon it will be placed under next year's budget but again time will tell all, that's what I've been told by several sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭notbrazil

Suzuka wrote: »
    I dunno I'm not holding my breath especially since this line is in the article:
    the loan allows the executive to deal with urgent financial pressures in the health service, the PSNI and services for victims.

Makes me think PSNI will be under big pressure to use any extra money to bring back HET or pump more money into legacy issues

There's no pressure to bring back HET - in fact, it's the opposite as SF don't like it and the DUP are starting to bow to pressure from Loyalist elements who don't like their own atrocities being investigated, so are unlikely to challenge its demise.

Campaign 2 numbers are down from them looking 378 recruits to only 100. BBC News website, can't link because I'm new. Add www to start

.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-30333080

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Campaign 2 numbers are down from them looking 378 recruits to only 100. BBC News website, can't link because I'm new. Add www to start

.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-30333080

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-30333080

Jesus, literally the odds went from favourable to flip me that's tight, all we can do is wait and see what happens in a couple of weeks ac results may be different now compared to last time, good luck everyone awaiting I have a plan b in place big time this time over thankfully but it means I won't be home but I'll do what I need to do, could be a merit list of 400 people this time round for 100 jobs so we'll see, not all is lost just tighter, good luck all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

I doubt I'll be in the top 100. Top 200 and might have a slim chance but... Makes bad reading for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Cromlech

.S. wrote: »
    I doubt I'll be in the top 100. Top 200 and might have a slim chance but... Makes bad reading for me...

Take in to account the stages after AC with fails and no shows you are still in with a shout, it's not over untill you are told so. Just give your all to everything and even if you don't get it this time you can still walk away knowing you gave your all.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

I won't give up on it, I'll do everything I can. But isn't pleasant reading. Esp with all the deaths on roads, apparently increased threat again this xmas. They need officers...

.S. wrote: »
    I won't give up on it, I'll do everything I can. But isn't pleasant reading. Esp with all the deaths on roads, apparently increased threat again this xmas. They need officers...

Yeah, it sucks, there is a clear need for officers and there is no shortage of willing candidates here. If only they would.make cuts in other non essential areas in order to hire the required number.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭pb82

Cromlech wrote: »
    Yeah, it sucks, there is a clear need for officers and there is no shortage of willing candidates here. If only they would.make cuts in other non essential areas in order to hire the required number.

Define non essential? They have already cut all temporary staff, cut the hours enquiry offices are open to the public.

Reading David Fords words today I'm thinking civilian jobs will be cut soon aswell ( there is already a voluntary early retirement deal on the table on the mainstream civil service) and I know there are people thrashing out something similar for the police staff. Worryingly those that are let go could end up back at desk jobs instead of on the front line.

Huge transitional period for the organisation and interesting times ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 28 200WattWarlock

Cromlech wrote: »

And you're straight back into politics. Everybody has an agenda and a group to represent. It's just a pity that the front-line services tend to serve the same public, and all are fighting over the same budget.

Let's half the number of MLA's and use their wages, office costs and expenses instead :)

And you're straight back into politics. Everybody has an agenda and a group to represent. It's just a pity that the front-line services tend to serve the same public, and all are fighting over the same budget.

Let's half the number of MLA's and use their wages, office costs and expenses instead :)

No doubt. 105 MLA s £48,000 a year each and £70,000 office expenses complete joke heaviest in the UK population and representation wise. This is hard reading for us in campaign two, missed the boat this time god knows how long we will have to wait.

I wonder if the top brass would take a pay cut off volunteer to retire to free up some much needed man power space. It's not like the budget is tiny in comparison to other forces, who have more officers. Overhaul of the entire system coming too if the Tory party get into power come May.

Fingers crossed for those who really want it, you can only do your best the rest is all politics. Chances getting slimmer each time I read the news ffs!!

pb82 wrote: »
    Define non essential? They have already cut all temporary staff, cut the hours enquiry offices are open to the public.

Reading David Fords words today I'm thinking civilian jobs will be cut soon aswell ( there is already a voluntary early retirement deal on the table on the mainstream civil service) and I know there are people thrashing out something similar for the police staff. Worryingly those that are let go could end up back at desk jobs instead of on the front line.

Huge transitional period for the organisation and interesting times ahead

I didn't just mean within the DOJ. If every department within the executive cut back on non essential expenditures there wouldn't be the need for budget cuts and therefore the PSNI could recruit necessary numbers. As others have said and I have mentioned before, if any cuts are to be made it should be to MLA salaries.

I'm in no way interested in politics and no expert in economy but even I can see clear mismanagement of funds a Stormount. If the Northern Irish politicians actually focused on the jobs they have rather than trying to one up each other, then maybe there wouldn't be such a deficit in the funds in this country.

This is just my opinion. Obviously people will disagree, it's just I can't see where our taxes re going, when all we see are cuts to policing, healthcare and social security to name but a few.

The NI Assembly didn't lose 1p on their budget for next year

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭pb82

The NI Assembly didn't lose 1p on their budget for next year

Corrupt to the core

• Advertisement

pb82 wrote: »
    Corrupt to the core

Totally agree, we need an overhaul but no doubt it would end up the same story again, especially with the younger politicians being mentored by those currently in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

It's like giving the keys to the sweetie shop to a group of children. You can't blame them if they trash the place and eat all the sweets.

You blame the people who gave them the keys ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

It's alright. Wait until the next marching season, the MLA's will be out in force to help us police the parades etc lmfao!!!!!!

Mop a top wrote: »
    It's alright. Wait until the next marching season, the MLA's will be out in force to help us police the parades etc lmfao!!!!!!

Sure they could put their people skills to good use.

We have too many MLA'S as it is, employing their family with their expenses and the cost of running that administration is massive. Too many staff too high a wage.

It's a sad state of affairs for people who want to join the police. I would imagine the old guard who are nearing retirement are worried the direction the cuts are going to take the PSNI in. We can barely police our streets as it it. Patton said 7,500.... last year PSNI said min of 7,000 and at the moment we have around 6,800 and 20 leaving a month. The numbers are just about being replaced and the force is bleeding.....It doesn't look good.

I was speaking to someone in the know there about it, and they seem to believe that the chief is playing the politicians at their own game, you want to reduce budgets to the core, okay then this is what you will get, if the policing board and assembly think this is okay there is seriously something wrong with NI. Understatement.

You can't help but wonder is someone actively trying to sabotage the DOJ within NI, it's not like we've had a peaceful history or even peace as we speak, with the psni saying the terror threat is at at an all time high, and the budget is being cut at the neck, you can't help but wonder what the politicians are playing at. I can say a lot more there but I'm trying to be pc and level minded. I'm a 90's baby but even I realise that the politicians that run this country are dinosaurs living in the past with their own personal agendas at the core of their politics and can't put their bitter diferences aside for the sake of prosperity, I'm not just talking about the psni budget but the education budget etc too, everything, I'm more worried about my own prosperity and the opportunity to financially provide for a family than political gain. Should have done as many of my friends have done and that's leave.

http://www.channel4.com/news/northern-ireland-police-service-psni-troubles-budget

Interesting report on the cuts within the PSNI and the fear it will spill out across the UK

http://www.psni.police.uk/chief_constable_s_formal_report_to_northern_ireland_policing_board_meeting_4_december_2014

There's the Chiefs report that was discussed at today's policing board meeting. He confirms intake 11 in January 2015 will be 40 as stated every squad after that will be done on course by course basis, they have an additional 56 million budget from the treasury and doj whether that makes up for anything I don't know, but he did say that they will work to maintain operational resilience at 6963. Anyway it will be interesting to say the least within the next couple of weeks with ac results coming out soon.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 63 ✭✭GavinusMaximus

This is from the DOJ budget review which is linked in the bbc article.

NI Community Safety College

It is likely that planned budget reductions will affect employee numbers, training policies and methods of training delivery within the three Services involved in this project.
    This may in turn, therefore, have a direct impact on the configuration and
    projected usage of the College, as well as the ability of the Services to meet future running costs.

The NI Community Safety College Steering Group (chaired by the Accounting
    Officers of DOJ and DHSSPS) therefore concluded that, given the number of uncertainties
    and high exposure to risk, it was necessary to pause to review the position. This view was
    shared by the Accounting Officers of the three Services, who also sit on the Steering Group.

Work is now underway to establish the training needs of the three Services in the
    current financial climate, and the infrastructure needed to support it. The review will consider sites and premises currently owned by the three Services and Policing Board, including Desertcreat. When this work is completed, the Steering Group will review the position and report to Ministers and the Executive for their views.

Looks like Desertcreat could maybe do with changing his username, it doesn't seem as though their any rush on the "new" training centre.
    I guess this is better than cutting more recruits, otherwise they'd have no one to train!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭valor rorghulis

They say the Twaddell camp costs 40k a night in policing, new starters on 19k. Wonder how many new constables that would have funded.

• Advertisement

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-30423672

The pay rate for some Personal Assistants helps explain the state of financial affairs in this country.

Advertisement