Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

http://m.limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/doon-best-in-limerick-harty-cup-derby-against-castletroy-1-6438215

Colmans have a good record v limerick teams in the past two years v creme de la creme in ard scoil they were beaten by just goal two years ago then drew last year.
    They haven't been white washed.
    Castletroy are no ard scoil.

They lost games bar v hamilton closely last year.
    They beat doon this year so they don't seem to fear limerick teams at all at all.
    The other points Is no neutrals or limerick fans give colmans a chance, this is red flag time for limerick they like to be the underdog, most limerick hurling teams mindset is still not comfortable with favouritism as they like Gavin o mahony in a splendid honest open a interview Sunday paper said some live in moral victory land,  Imo you can't be comfortable to win games unless you expect that beaten is not all great.
    Ireland rubgy has finally entered an age where they went to autumn international expecting to win.
    Ireland were favourite v Australia there games they lost in the past but now they are comfortable enough to win they can deal with favouritism
    On paper I have no doubt Castletroy deserve to be favourite and all things equal you would have to say they would win.
    But these are just the type game they loose.
    Looking at both sides there seemed to be no great spread of scoring today from play.

When the need is greatest limerick minor lorchan lyons three years harty cup Cosgrave and Nash likewise and minors with limerick they have that crucial ability to be game changers when the need is greatest on the other hand in individual battles imo.

Colmans are young, saich,o leary, linehan don't have that yet but will in time.
    Shane walsh does but that's where they may loose, that inexperienced resolve in the team as a whole bar one player.
    However they are essentially in a last sixteen knock out game they never or indeed myself expected them to be,nothing to loose, and have huge expierence for next year

All the pressure is on the limerick lad's.
    They are expected to win , huge setback if they loose as their expected to win.
    The key for colmans is limit the influence of three key men for them so you invariably put pressure on the rest of the Castletroy team.
    You do that by having a plan.
    Play a sweeper and absolutely savage work rate will give them a chance
    You crowd out Cosgrave, Nash and lyons in the middle third by swarming that aera.
    Castletroy imo are not good in a close game and we're lucky to beat Ag.
    If colmans are there With ten to go they could do it.

There is a cork connection in Declan Fitzgerald teacher who would know lot limerick lad's having coached them some time or another, is in Castletroy, he went to colmans and indeed won a dean ryan cup and I think a Harty cup
    He's used lot colmans principles from rings coaching manual in he had limerick minors in 2005 a very young coach he was got them to an all ireland final.
    He must have two emotions when they meet in the crucial game.

Colmans beat doon ruthless put away dls, there time is really next year. In one sense but with noel crowley helping them he will bring expierence and believe look what he done with a non cork school but now he is in one of cork greatest nursery school ever so they will be still strong in culture and traditional and they have a real chance.
    If walsh is fit and they go all out they have a chance

I presume Bruff or Kilmallock hold the game??

Cair was a strange choice two years imo for them v ard scoil before so who knows where it goes ahead
    Doon hammered Ag last year but this Ag team is completely different now to last year
    Last year they were young and Lost four games
    They Won two already this year
    Key is none lad's Colman’s or Ag get An injury tonight.
    Doon is a lovely place in limerick close to the tipp border but it's not just fairy tales and wind Mills up their the people are an honest, admirable, tough resilient breed,very genuine, and their hurling has always had a dogdness and steel to any team that bore those principles they had so if Ag think they turn up and out hurl these boys alone think again.

They have to match that grit and determination of doon so then imo their better overall team can win it.
    Doon were a better team last year imo with the brilliant dean coleman among others and they gave a master class v charville.

There well coached and bring real pride and honour to the school there a team easy to like.
    Murphy got most scores today so their not having great spread of scoring forwards.
    Also have no doubt doon will play with a sweeper.
    Ag won't out hurl them they must have a plan.

The cork limerick rivalry at schools and under age goes on with the two games coming up and is ideal in cork lad's can get familiar with some limerick lad's they could play later in April and who I'm convinced will meet in a Munster semi final no matter what happens in the meaningless ist game imo in April where have no doubt it's just shadow boxing to a degree imo.
    None of Wallis or ring will show their hand too early imo.
    It's a joke two best teams in munster are on same side of the draw again next year.
    No disrespect to Waterford but as proven in harty their dropped a level back and have new minor coach so I won't expect much.
    Their building again.
    Clare will be okay but not great
    Tipp will be strong but not as strong as cork or limerick but will improve greatly with easier draw and at least be hurling in to the summer a Quater Final all ireland at least as they will reach munster final.
    If cork minors got to munster they would improve no end.
    Some cork lad's are made for Croke Park, looney, smith, o mahony,o leary, kingston, flynn etc.

The key point now also is while corks schools are doing brilliant it would be fatal naively utter stupid to cork hurling imo if the powers to be thought ah all uproar cork recently Regards hurling was unfounded and no need to do more.
    No one was ever in doubt work was done mainly by volunteers for years but yes rebel og helped hughely but imo they still need more support compared to other counties.

Remember If cork stay doing exactly what there doing now and no more, others will in time do more so than like before cork stay static and we're surpassed again.
    Cork must continue to evolve.
    If we don't and stay the same and Waterford for example who had a fall off but I hear are reviewing schools hurling again with a plan if true will catch up

Cork can't afford fours years of greatness followed by five Years of mediocrity.
    This is not a hot air balloon when we go up we reach the summit but when the bubble is bust the balloon comes crashing down.
    If cork have seven teams each year in the harty, minimum we should have three making the knockout with at least a semi finalist.
    If we have five teams then two to qualify for the knock out is acceptable but every team must be competive.

It's very easy to know what other counties do in terms there cork men in Waterford coaching, in limerick vice versa so it's no secret when counties do a plan for the future.
    So If cork know that Waterford for example have a new coaching plan for five years, don't copy it but take certain  from it cork need to change and develop it   own strengths so that win or loose every two year a process of reviews win or loose at schools hurling must take place and at under age.
    Limerick have sustainable success in schools in munster at all levels and it's cause they have developed plans and long term project for the future.
    When Wallis goes, the great people like noel hartigan, etc can carry on he's blue print for excellence.
    Their tony Forristal team next year, They have every Saturday for the last few weeks six in total, introduction to hurling for the u13 in ul with around over a hundred young players introduction to development squads.
    There always building toward a better future. Immense Credit I always said for the way they evolved their underage and imo still the kings in munster.

Noel hartigan games manager is there and Wallis himself does coaching so that's what you want.
    Cork are starting do similar academy's but it shows you must keep it up.
    Sustainable success you must constantly evolve but stay static and you snooze you loose.
    Simply surpassing limerick for one year is no good it must be sustainable success for cork hurling to make a break through.

Ag through to a final Callaghan cup

Midelton play Michael shields old school spiorid naomh then rochestown in a semi final

Midelton won Callaghan cup before and lost hamilton last year

Imo they should concentrate fully on the harty cup and not Callaghan cup

Getting to a Harty cup final means your in an all ireland Quater Final so cork hopefully have a school in a final at least

• Registered Users Posts: 15 SchoolsFan

Late report but only in the door from the AG V Colmans game. I was at the Harty Cup game which was roughly a month ago and I must give huge credit to St Colmans they have really improved in that time.

From what I saw:
    AG got off to a great start1-1 up after a minute, goal from Dan Gunning after a surging run from Dayne Lee set him up. Straight away Colmans dropped back an extra defender no 10 (sorry no name as there was no team lists) to play in front of Lee who starts full forward. Lee found it hard to get going but he got some very physical treatment off the ball. In all fairness to St Colmans theyhung in there and Shane Aherne was lording midfield and setting up a lot of attacks. Pity that they had no real penetration inside and the AG full back handled things very well. Eddie Gunning was playing in the left corner at the start but once colmans dropped a man he took over a he was used as the spare man. colmans got a very soft goal just on half time to leave them training by a point. AG forwards struggled with the spare man and Evan Sheehan was fumbling ball and his striking was poor. Dan Gunning was fixing it hard also. Shane Walsh was well on top at CB for Colmans.

Second half:

Lordan, Shorten and Cronin AG management spent along time taking at half time before going in to their team. They made a great move by putting 11 (again no name) on the spare man who was operating behind the CB and brought Dayne Lee to centre forward , this meant that 3 was the free man and he wasn't comfortable in this role. On top of that theAG half backs played very good ball to the corners and Dan Gunning really came into it. Huge physical battle and Colmans while smaller certainly gave nothing soft. The AG got a very soft goal with about15 mins left to put them 5 up. I thoughtColmans would push up and forget about the sweeper it they didn't nod this played right into the AG hands. E Gunning sT behind his centre back and cleared a world of ball.

Colmans have a real chance against Castletroyis the stop LeTouche and Nash just like Doon did today. AG number 5 Walsh? had a great game motm IMO. Great in the air and his use of the ball is superb. AG top class keeper. I wonder though will they match Doons toughness?

SchoolsFan wrote: »
    Late report but only in the door from the AG V Colmans game. I was at the Harty Cup game which was roughly a month ago and I must give huge credit to St Colmans they have really improved in that time.

From what I saw:
    AG got off to a great start1-1 up after a minute, goal from Dan Gunning after a surging run from Dayne Lee set him up. Straight away Colmans dropped back an extra defender no 10 (sorry no name as there was no team lists) to play in front of Lee who starts full forward. Lee found it hard to get going but he got some very physical treatment off the ball. In all fairness to St Colmans theyhung in there and Shane Aherne was lording midfield and setting up a lot of attacks. Pity that they had no real penetration inside and the AG full back handled things very well. Eddie Gunning was playing in the left corner at the start but once colmans dropped a man he took over a he was used as the spare man. colmans got a very soft goal just on half time to leave them training by a point. AG forwards struggled with the spare man and Evan Sheehan was fumbling ball and his striking was poor. Dan Gunning was fixing it hard also. Shane Walsh was well on top at CB for Colmans.

Second half:

Lordan, Shorten and Cronin AG management spent along time taking at half time before going in to their team. They made a great move by putting 11 (again no name) on the spare man who was operating behind the CB and brought Dayne Lee to centre forward , this meant that 3 was the free man and he wasn't comfortable in this role. On top of that theAG half backs played very good ball to the corners and Dan Gunning really came into it. Huge physical battle and Colmans while smaller certainly gave nothing soft. The AG got a very soft goal with about15 mins left to put them 5 up. I thoughtColmans would push up and forget about the sweeper it they didn't nod this played right into the AG hands. E Gunning sT behind his centre back and cleared a world of ball.

Colmans have a real chance against Castletroyis the stop LeTouche and Nash just like Doon did today. AG number 5 Walsh? had a great game motm IMO. Great in the air and his use of the ball is superb. AG top class keeper. I wonder though will they match Doons toughness?

Schools fan brilliant brillant post

This thread craves elite posting

Such technical detail and forensic analytical insight I love that

I'm very happy reading that post in you said colmans played a sweeper I'm delighted they know too well that onlyway they beat Castletroy and obviously lee was a test run for marking Nash

They obviously had a view to next week and the results was not important for them they went about formulating plan for next week

Great that Ag had to think on their feet and over come sweeper as guaranteed doon play sweeper with Shane o connell who played that role last year now st six but the centre back will be covered by a half forward

Good to know lee was good at centre forward and then he started to play well

It's great news colmans will play sweeper next week and swarm middle third like I said in my preview and Ag beat a team playing like doon tonight

Five Ag could be ailein breathnach

Ten for colmans may bE padraig hannon glanworth it'd just a guess

Ag keeper is Darragh o connell played senior for na piarssigh while Keating was on holidays in summer
    Fine keeper alright

Pa Callaghan played centre back In inter firm game tonight they lost
    I wasn't at it was at a challenge match but response lost by four points over cork garda I heard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭seventh7

Super post, very indepth. for my tuppence worth Lee was very poor and if he has difficulty with the physicality of an O'Callaghan cup game he is going to suffer in a Cork jersey. There were 16 year olds on both sides who gave better preformances this evening. Alan walsh no 5 had a blinder in this physically sapping contest. People forget Evan Sheehan is only 15 years old and whilst he did suffer this evening he is one for the future. I have said time and time again I would pay to see dan gunning play and he did not let his side down despite taking a lot of physical attention. As the game developed it became more physical with cards being issued on both sides. Colemans have improved a lot from the first encounter and won a lot of 50/50 ball in all departments but could not breach the AG defence where I agree eddie gunning was supreme. Killian Ahern brought a cutting edge to the Ag his duel with Niall O'leary was a highlight. he won dirty ball and used it. O leary from Castlelyons has some cutting in him and these two will remember each other from this evening. There was a real Na Parsaigh look about the Ag starting 15. Darragh O Connell the goalie eddie Gunning, Alan Walsh, Robert O Meara, Colin O Sullivan,Eoin O' Leary, Killian Ahern, Jamie Morrisey, Dan gunning, Evan Sheehan, Dwane lee all hail from the Northside club. This team has the look of club side and will not panic when put under pressure. They can and will do better. Lee for me was a dissapointment this is the second I have seen him in the Harty and quite simply I expected a performance from what is now a Cork senior player. For Colman's Niall O leary was impressive at half back, Jeremy Siach was ineffective I felt the game passed him by as it was very physical. Shane Aherne had a very solid game and is a very mobile midfielder the colmans corner back a young lad with a serious head of hair was also excellent. If Colmans are to beat Castletroy the will have to score from the half forward line as they are very light inside. Stephen Condon is nice hurler but he will struggle with the physicality of the castletroy backline. Colmans must also keep the foul count down as they will be punished from dead balls.
    The Ag will have to improve if they are to get past Doon, physically I think they will rise to the challenge as they have the hurling also the introduction of Ahern gives them an edge as the rougher it gets the better this kid is. Tactically the AG have shown they can adapt to changing situations but they must get a performance from Lee. The over reliance on balls into the corners could also cost them unless they vary the deliveries and occasionally go route one.
    An very big week for Harty hurling next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Breadandbutter

The comments about Dayne Lee are worrying - I've seen him play over last few years and he has improved and no doubt has great ability

Maybe the cork set up is too much too soon for him - now that he has the name of being with the seniors that's carries extra expectation and will bring him special attention on and off the pitch - it's a lot for an 18 yr old who's doing his leaving as well - it's a busy year for him

it would be a shame if his game and confidence were affected

The comments about Dayne Lee are worrying - I've seen him play over last few years and he has improved and no doubt has great ability

Maybe the cork set up is too much too soon for him - now that he has the name of being with the seniors that's carries extra expectation and will bring him special attention on and off the pitch - it's a lot for an 18 yr old who's doing his leaving as well - it's a busy year for him

it would be a shame if his game and confidence were affected

I agree with you he is very young to have the weight of expectation on his shoulders. He will either assume it or it will consume him. This is what seperates the men from the boys pressure is a funny thing. If he is well mentored keeps his feet on the ground and avoids the pitfalls then he will overcome the difficulties.

Minors challenges ongoing

Played Castlemartyr over weekend and another game this Thursday night

Eoghan O Brien from Douglas showed up well, big strong hard working player who has improved hugely last few years

Cleverly they were out of the blocks early to appoint shane Kingston captain - given he is a dual player - this will strengthen his allegiance to the hurling panel

If popular opinion is to be believed he may be best off leaning more towards the hurling as the football seems to be derailing at the moment

Good luck to all the Corn Ui mhuiri cork teams today as final placings should be decided

seventh7 wrote: »
    I agree with you he is very young to have the weight of expectation on his shoulders. He will either assume it or it will consume him. This is what seperates the men from the boys pressure is a funny thing. If he is well mentored keeps his feet on the ground and avoids the pitfalls then he will overcome the difficulties.
    He was playing poorly v Castletroy before he was named in cork panel so a lot it is down to work ethic imo

He got three points that game two last night so he's poor but scoring which is good shows talent he has
    Once he increase work rate and realise special attention he gets he should be okay
    He has huge battle ahead v Shane o connell limerick minor
    O connell lords the air, and play half forward or half back
    He actually played half forward, and took player calibre Shane walsh senior player for three in doon game
    But Justin daly has him at six now
    Last year he was named at twelve but played six
    Brendan bulger is coaching doon also so remember a team plays sweeper will now have it perfected with king of it as player coaching them
    At harty cup last year final doon were more match ard scoil ist half with sweeper it's hard to break down

Any venues for the games

Hard to know will they do cahir for Ag game as doon close to Tipperary etc and onwards or would Kilmallock or charville be an option

Next week is a real tough one in midelton, Ag and colmans all got to win to go through and trying to pick a game is difficult to go to

Crowley the gdo that was in Dublin for about seven years he coached minors etc huge input their schools system is with castlelyons next year
    Great move if it happens for castlelyons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 goalmouth

I missed the first five mins so I didn't see the goal but overall it was a good game of hurling and I think AG deserved the victory in the end
    But I have to say the ref could have let it flow a bit more blowing for so called over use of the shoulder
    E Gunning was super last night but the full forward for colmans I don't think was able for him .
    All the Ag backs were good but colmans forwards were just a bit small a light
    D lee didn't have his best night but he is a marked man and defenders are goin to give him special attention
    For colmans Shane Walsh and the two o learys were there best players
    Last nights game should stand to these teams and hopefully give them the wins next week to progress further in the harty

As regards dan gunning they know all about him in limerick even their minor team expect him to start he's that good so young.
    The great thing regards him is limerick can know all they want about him there isn't an over reliance on him in limerick can't really double mark him,as tim o mahony, kingston and looney are three exceptional forwards that need special. Monitoring

Throw in the likes of robbie flynn some man to catch a ball all cork need to do is supply these guys with fast quality ball they do the rest

And just when you think your okay Michael o halloran played u21 club is lethal and strong so as good as collins, loughin grimes are for limerick they have huge ask ahead them

I can honestly say this forward line is best cork had in ten years or more at minor
    And it's not over rating them as o mahony, looney, kingston and gunning have all performed in harty cup this year which is minor standard

When landers can't make panel tells own story
    He's still being watches and told what to do get back in their

Billy dunne has not been going great for midelton or cork trial games either subbed in one

Huge talent but he'll have to perform cause like all rest if they don't loads options there
    Lad's this minor team this year I've huge hopes for backed with real confidence
    Playing castlematyr is fine but there not the elite of cork minor hurling club wise must play better clubs though

• Registered Users Posts: 31 goalmouth

As regards dan gunning they know all about him in limerick even their minor team expect him to start he's that good so young.
    The great thing regards him is limerick can know all they want about him there isn't an over reliance on him in limerick can't really double mark him,as tim o mahony, kingston and looney are three exceptional forwards that need special. Monitoring

Throw in the likes of robbie flynn some man to catch a ball all cork need to do is supply these guys with fast quality ball they do the rest

And just when you think your okay Michael o halloran played u21 club is lethal and strong so as good as collins, loughin grimes are for limerick they have huge ask ahead them

I can honestly say this forward line is best cork had in ten years or more at minor
    And it's not over rating them as o mahony, looney, kingston and gunning have all performed in harty cup this year which is minor standard

When landers can't make panel tells own story
    He's still being watches and told what to do get back in their

Billy dunne has not been going great for midelton or cork trial games either subbed in one

Huge talent but he'll have to perform cause like all rest if they don't loads options there
    Lad's this minor team this year I've huge hopes for backed with real confidence
    Playing castlematyr is fine but there not the elite of cork minor hurling club wise must play better clubs though

Heard last night there playing youghal tomorrow night don't have venue

goalmouth wrote: »
    Heard last night there playing youghal tomorrow night don't have venue

They played them last year up on the hill i think

All ireland u16 hurling preview school final Saturday

Good counsel panel v midelton

Coaches Declan wall pauric Cullen

I started from goal keeper, then corner back. Full back, corner back. Half back etc and done my analysis.
    I saw them play just once but a High octane thriller you could learn a lot bout their style of play.

Jack Byrne  Doyle mullinavat fine save v Evan niland kilkenny u15 keeper. super ability under a high ball and very agile.

Cathal o connor rathnure played sweeper brilliant reader of the game

Jack walsh rower inistioege terrific full back can play centre and did a fine job
    Very composed.

Chris keegan has done tremendously well particularly v charville scoring wise but in the dean ryan he broke a lot of ball.
    He got to do same in this game but he Is capable of doing so and he doesn't need to score just win ball and bring the excellent Chris power and dazzling silky skills hurling of liam gosnell in to the game game.
    Power could not start earlier games but impressed v flannans as a sub,brilliant v charville, and a goal and two v our lady's will start again.
    He can play half forward also so can start 15 but play as a half forward If they play the sweeper.

Richard hennessey Glenmore solid defender kilkenny u15 hurler

Two yellow cards so I presume won't miss the final

Jamie myler st James ramsgrange
    Very strong in the air fine point
    In Charlie terry he has a huge battle ahead.
    Charlie got two awesome scores in the dean ryan cup final,he is a good man to win ball and help midfield and will need to help twomey and crotty as o connor and Nolan are a formidable outfit and sinnott when he stays at half forward drops to midfield for puck outs.

Eoin porter cushintown wexford club fine hurler ireland u16 soccer international
    Played with Tony Davis son Eoin Davis who plays underage with Douglas and a fine gaelic footballer by all accounts, porter is a wexford hurler and footballer
    Plays football school

Andy leahy has a huge battle in he has a great opponent but jack walsh I won't be surprised he plays at six.
    Leahy should take huge confidence from doing as good as anyone could on Brian mcgrath and better than most.
    Brian mcgrath is an exceptional, exceptional hurler the best centre back in dean ryan and honestly I'd say up there with the Chris o leary, ronan lynch,jack mcdonnell,Colin Ryan, In comparison with harty and dean Ryan centre backs.
    Imo mcgrath is probably the closest to ronan lynch in so talented so young.
    If I was the coach I would be telling Andy how great mcgrath was so he realises how good he done against him.

Richard gill tullogher rosbecron kilkenny club plays minor kilkenny championship club very good hurler
    One main point with the defenders is there all very interchangable, very versatile, walsh went to six,porter can play full back, o connor played sweeper role like connor sullivan for cork such perfection he could easily go to half back and so in essence they can change in a game roles to suit the opponents they play so imo they will be very strong.

Midfield
    Sean Nolan horsewood wexford club, point terrific hurler
    Thomas o connor tullogher rosbecron goal and two points and very strong plays soccer ireland underage plays minor club in kilkenny championship, u15 kilkenny hurler, plays football school

Daire Crotty will have to mark o connor imo.
    He's got to stay with him in he's strong and fast and has to limit o connor
    Brendan twomey is a great worker and has hurling in coal face of midfield

Forwards

Luke sinnott Tadghmon wexford club superb goal and brilliant free taker
    Imperious under high ball, lords the skies, joy to behold, such young players be so so dominant in the air it was one of best displays aerial ball winning ability ive seen at school genuinely.

One man for the role, has to be mcdonnell.
    He has harty cup expierence and cork development expierence was outstanding all year for midelton he holds the centre well but imo must man sinnott.
    In he's goes to the wing, mcdonnell has to follow.
    Now sinnott is different and difficult to mark cause in he's like tj Reid he drifts in to full forward seemingly and is lethal.He does this in spells from what I saw the the last day.
    If hes at half forward on puck outs runs out to midfield to win clean ball.
    He's a tj Reid type of player,zonal defending won't hold this guy,you must do man man marking, this lad is imo an exceptional talent.

If he goes to full forward Sean o leary Hayes has has to pick him up.
    They must be constant in man marking him and it's vital communication between Hayes and mcdonnell and the line, in selectors must like you see most teams do man section ptich, to command instructions. If sinnott goes in they must communicate Sean o leary Hayes has to pick him up.
    That's the only time mcdonnell leaves him.

I wouldn't worry bout they playing four man inside full forward line, they will  know mcdonnell is very good so they will always drop a forward out to mark him.
    Sinnott cannot be left marked by a corner back in he is lethal in the air imo mcdonnell or leary Hayes only men for him as leahy has huge task keeping Higgins quiet.

Mark o niell guessrane wexford club Fast and direct hurler

Jim ryan rower inistioege kilkenny u15 hurler
    Good fast hands, helps midfield very good hurler on breaking ball.
    Mcconville midelton been super all year and this should be some mouth watering battle,two fine hurlers.

The full forward line

Rory Higgins rathnure two points very strong
    Ed leahy has to pick him up in he Is imo the best forward in their full forward line.
    Leahy held fair brother of our lady's as good as could be expected he is top top corner back that can play five or six.
    Played in the dean cup final last year, so he has huge expierence and confidence from last year.

Jimmy Sutton fethard strong in the air
    Sam wall guessrane wexford club
    Good hurler.

Adam daly and o connor compliment Sean o leary Hayes in the full back line, daly being a relevation starting the last day.
    They have a tough hour ahead against a fine good counsel inside line.

Subs

Darragh Hartley Glenmore u14 kilkenny hurler
    Darren Hayden Tadghmon

Eammon o sullivan horsewood
    Michael galvan rower inistioege
    Eoughan bryne rathnure
    Michael cleere Geraldine o hanahrahan
    Tom Doyle rower inistioege
    Evin Murphy cushintown
    Alec hatt rower inistioege

Extended panel
    Ricky mcgrath
    Robrie walsh
    Shane byrne
    Thomas furlong
    Diarmuid kehoe
    Domhnall mcgahan
    Danny Murphy
    Jp furlong
    Darragh lyons injured also but very good hurler I was told at match
    Andrew walsh captain injured not sure if he'll play
    Wexford lad's told me at the game he's very good at football also.
    Shane byrne

MIDELTON EAST CORK SCHOOL CURRENT DEAN RYAN CUP CHAMPIONS
    Management alwyin kearney tim collins
    1.Ross Walsh (St. Colman’s)
    2.Adam daly midelton
    3.Sean O’ Leary Hayes (Midleton)
    4.Ed Leahy (Aghada)
    5.Sean O’ Meara (Midleton)
    6.Jack McDonnell (Aghada)
    7.Ryan McConville (Midleton)
    8.Daire Crotty (Carrigtwohill) – Captain
    9.Brendan Twomey (Carrigtwohill)
    10.Charlie Terry (Aghada)
    11.Andrew Leahy (Killeagh)
    12.padraig o brien (midelton)
    13.Chris power (midleton)
    14.Conor Keegan (Carrigtwohill)
    15.Liam Gosnell (Carrigtwohill)
    16.Aaron Walsh (Killeagh)
    17.Aaron Walsh Barry (Carrigtwohill)
    18.liam o shea lisgoold
    19.Eoin O’ Sullivan (St. Colman’s)
    20.Kalen O’ Donoghue (Aghada)
    21.sean o connor rathnure
    22.Christopher Coughlan (Killeagh)
    23.Sean O’ Sullivan (Midleton)
    24 Eoin Dorgan (Fr. O’ Neill’s)

25 jamie Landers
    26 john O’ Dwyer
    27 Natthew Leahy
    28 M ichael Kelly
    28 Cathal Gunning

Players played in this year harty, leahy and jack mcdonnell as half forward

Routes to the final

MIDELTON
    Ist round
    Midelton beat Nenagh 2-23 to 3-13

Quater Final
    Midelton beat flannans jamsie.o connor 4-8 to 3-8. Flannans played the sweeper clare style in that game, a fine team to be fair that will be serious harty cup team two years imo.

Semi final
    Midelton beat charville 2-11 to 0-7

Dean ryan cup final Midelton 1-10 to our lady's 0-12

In 4 games they scored 9-52 and conceded 6-40
    Their average scoring per game is around 2-13 approx conceding an average per game of just over one goal and ten

Midelton beat Ard scoil last year at cashel venue to win since 1989 and end 24 year wait for dean Ryan cup when Brendan butty mccarthy carrigtwohill lifted the famous trophy in Munster u 16 1/2 hurling in the de la creme de la creme of this age group in Munster Hurling but lost the all ireland final to an exceptional kilkenny cbs team.

Midelton have experience of last year in Padraig o.brien, Charlie terry, mcdonnell,ed leahy were all involved in the panel. Huge bonus to them.

Ed leahy started half back, jack mcdonnell half forward, padraig o brien corner forward got vital point in dean ryan final so that belief experience will be enormous benefit them in Cashel

Midelton won rice 2012, cork 14 colleges also captain fantastic jack mcdonnell back then ,they also won white cup in 2013
    ,have lost none or at most just one approximately game down the years with this group.

The school down the years Won and contested rice cup regularly, won white and dean,Callaghan cups, u 14 cork title etc, in essence this wonderful truly wonderful I mean wonderful now, great cork school of former great legend Brian cocranan, donal og cusack, The rock who won a Harty as a half forward and fine one at that, etc has evolved culture from hoping to win to believe they will and expect win at all levels and huge benefit for them in any final

Core of good counsel group  also won Paul mcgirr cup this year in football beating rochestown 1-16 to 1-5 when rochestown had quality players such as John cashman, Shane kingston, ciaran cormack, Evan Ryle,Sam collins bar cashman all playing among others corn u mhuire while cashman plays harty cup.

Eoin porter, tomas o connor 8 points in the football final, Luke sinnott, mark o niell Jamie myler all played a part in that all ireland win proving their big game winners also beat in hurling st Kierans, all ireland champions kilkenny cbs, and a athenry side in Galway that had seven clarinbridge hurlers in which clarinbridge won three feile in row 11,12,13 and had mark Kennedy who played in the tony Forristal for Galway,Evan niland 1-12 on Galway minor panel just 15,certain starter imo next year and conor walsh who played tony Forristal also so they have beaten teams with top players and don't fear anyone and have huge confidence in their own ability and credit due at the end of them for that.
    A very formidable opponent.
    Work ethic is hugely important with these lad's.

They would got huge confidence in Beating Kierans and kilkenny cbs however for bones thirty five minutes they struggled to shake of fourteen men and while changes were made that won them the game the sweeper allowed a one six to point lead become level pegging at half time in which sweeper allowed Galway minor panelists Evan niland scorer one tewilve one six play be curbed.
    The sweeper system they played well the last day I feel will do it this time also with Cathal o connor performing the role.
    What's hard to know is who drops back from forwards in they were allowed to do that role as athenry had a man sent off.
    Crucially if they want a sweeper they have to sacfrice a forward this time.

Midelton beat jamsie.o connor flannans sweeper system already so they know how to beat such a system.
    If midelton need to play a sweeper liam o shea can play deeper allowing terry play deep, and twomey dropping back.

Midelton Must keep cool heads and composure is a must but they can be beaten
    The fact they don't have a semi final replay won't affect them at all all in the dean ryan final was played Friday where good counsel had game Saturday so both teams have had similar break and being just their fifth game they will be relatively fresh

Midelton can win in the sun,Rain the wind,a huge confidence of a team and haven't peaked yet.
    I had questioned our lady's in after epic semi final thriller week before could they replicate that magnitude performance just week later, always tough ask.
    Midelton ground out a win so this is more in them.
    The fact that good counsel won unlike our lady's in struggled beat fourteen men should have midleton aware in good counsel know they can improve so enthralling battle awaits.

Behind any good man they say There is the support of a good  woman or now days even a man itself which there's nothing wrong with that at all at all.
    Behind any good team is a good coach. You can't have one with out the other.
    In any post I do I have a strong correlation with management to talent available.
    I can't emphasise how significant great coaching is.
    It's the foundation of success.

Good counsel are a further example of good indeed excellent coaching.Wall and Cullen have won various u14 Leinster with this group players, u16s Leinster title's also.
    But looking at Declan wall cv it's impressive to be honest.
    Mullinvat in kilkenny were not doing as good as they expected to be in intermediate hurling in kilkenny.
    Two years ago they had a review, and they said In their agm they had training inconstantes but knew the talents was there.
    They even mentioned it in the local paper.
    Kilkenny, such honesty even in a club team to say we have problems and it's not right.That's why kilkenny will never have problems.
    They said it and no one got offended, it was not personal they just made observation of training.
    Nothing more or less.

Christ if that was done in cork they be black smoke,do not critise.
    Anyway, wall took over and just  guess what happened next , no we don't have to go 50:50 or phone a friend he won a Leinster intermediate hurling title to compliment the county title he won in year two this Sunday.
    Mullinvat ist ever lenister intermediate title he coached them to it and just their fourth county intermediate title.
    Out of 27 matches so far with mullinvat, between league and championship and alward cup and challenges he has won 24 games as coach this year winning the league and championship.
    Two challenge matches he lost and the alward cup

Just look at that record it seems to me he's real kilkenny breed of coach, whether it's a challenge match or a game of ping pong or marbles or chess or snap he wants to win. I like and admire and respect coaches like that and I don't care what county there form.
    I always respect a winning Mentailtly. I crave for a cork coach with that Mentailtly.
    They lost the alward cup and apparently he wasn't a happy bunny.But he evolved the team.

That mullinvat team lost an 21 county final but he came in and developed them further.
    Sign of a good coach.
    He's involved with development squads in kilkenny and coaches on speed work.
    He wouldn't be involved in kilkenny If he wasn't good.
    Wouldn't be surprised to see him with a kilkenny intercounty team in the future.He's record is on an upward curve of progression

He seems a winner to be honest. He has a ruthless attention to detail by all accounts he will know midelton inside out and don't be surprised if midelton in the dean ryan cup final he had watched as they knew If they won their semi final they play the winners so as their game was a day the dean ryan final they had to watch them as they could not wait til they won their game as it was day after and would of been too late.

He's a good coach with a Kilkenny Dna, never beaten so they have a side line that can game manage.
    More importantly they have that ruthless winning Mentailtly both on and off the field.
    This will be some all ireland for midelton to win if they win it.
    They have wexford hurlers and carlow lad's also.
    Dont be fooled carlow have good hurlers just look at mullins that played with na piarssigh and cork as fine a player he was.
    They beat dublin in underage recently.

Alwyin kearney and tim collins are good coaches fot midelton and are winners too.
    They coached white cup, rice cups. Dean Cups success, and crucially have made changes in games like bringing in Chris power to start and also made changes in games so they can game manage.
    Alwyin an accomplished player for midelton would I think played cork b team in strikes.
    Good young coach.You see he would have had the benefit seeing jerry Wallis coach midelton before Coaching so he knows good drills.
    Being a teacher himself he would have been a good student so he knows when to learn, you couldn't learn more from a coach the caliber of Wallis.

Both sides have good coaching and both have played a sweeper in their time so this yes even at school could be tactical have no doubt as both teams lost an u16 all ireland final in good counsel two years ago,midelton last year so both want to win.
    School hurling has evolved also.

Good counsel have expierence confidence Paul mcgirr cup in football And will do history by being the ist ever school to hold all ireland football and hurling in the same year at U16.Before any one says dualism is alive however keep in mind football was won in may the hurling usually takes place in February but moved forward this year at the request of the schools.

The football Is over. So it hasn't been week after week hurling and football.

midelton have pain hurt last year final loss and that can be a huge motivating factor in itself and I don't feel their overwhelming favourites if indeed at all so their isn't huge pressure on them
    Imo id have both teams evens.

This is a school that done cork hurling proud no matter what
    Just one note Sean o leary Hayes if anyone has free day wants to see potential cork senior full back, and how full backs should dominate a game and do orthodox style full back play watch this lad.

Now not to pick him for cork but to see how a full back should play a game.

A certainty to be minor full back in two years bar injuy.
    A joy to behold in he's play o leary is a leader and commander of he's unit also.
    I truly can't wait for this game I'm like a child counting the days to Xmas. At last common sense prevailed and the game Is in the all weather in wit and the ptich will suit both teams and even in incessant rain the game can still be Fast flowing
    The game I saw in North campus in ul was on a top surface.

Call It hugely difficult game to call honestly,two evenly matched teams and I saw both play, counsel just once but hugely impressive.
    These lad's are eager to hurl, huge enthusiasm for the game.
    Before they played athenry they were on the ptich warming up themselves, getting the touch in, well before the game, could not get on the ptich fast enough.
    They are a fine team with a young coach also.

Good counsel yes came back when they had a man advantage, when athenry got a man send off, but the level of compsure and work ethic and do not panic mantra really has made me not as adamant as I was last week midelton would win.
    Either team can win it really comes down imo to who performs to their ability on the day.
    This must be the ist time I ever sat on the fence, did not predict a winner. I honestly can't as this game is too too evenly matched in players and management.

I hope the rock, cusack, cocranan, Paudie sullivan, all great I mean great really great great players support midelton Saturday as their former pupils and if I was manager I'd be using Brian the great or cusack to give these lad's a motivating talk in the week up to the game.
    Cusack would be an inspiration and cork Camoige team I hear were delighted with him in he's talk the pre week the all ireland final

I don't know the ref but Fergal horgan I presume would be the man for It,a good referee, no referee is perfect but he's good.
    He won't blow for everything.
    This could be some game and a shame there will be only one winner.

He was playing poorly v Castletroy before he was named in cork panel so a lot it is down to work ethic imo

He got three points that game two last night so he's poor but scoring which is good shows talent he has
    Once he increase work rate and realise special attention he gets he should be okay
    He has huge battle ahead v Shane o connell limerick minor
    O connell lords the air, and play half forward or half back
    He actually played half forward, and took player calibre Shane walsh senior player for three in doon game
    But Justin daly has him at six now
    Last year he was named at twelve but played six
    Brendan bulger is coaching doon also so remember a team plays sweeper will now have it perfected with king of it as player coaching them
    At harty cup last year final doon were more match ard scoil ist half with sweeper it's hard to break down

Any venues for the games

Hard to know will they do cahir for Ag game as doon close to Tipperary etc and onwards or would Kilmallock or charville be an option

Next week is a real tough one in midelton, Ag and colmans all got to win to go through and trying to pick a game is difficult to go to

Crowley the gdo that was in Dublin for about seven years he coached minors etc huge input their schools system is with castlelyons next year
    Great move if it happens for castlelyons

I am not convinced by lee he mouths a lot at his own players and not in a positive way. He is undoubtly talented time will tell. I would not start him at full forward I would play him at right half forward and let him have a free role. I would put Ahern in full forward ball in hand he will be difficult to stop. Played there before for Cork u16s with good returns 1-3 against Waterford and 6 points against Laois. The Ag will handle the sweeper system with runners coming through the middle laying balls off to the corners. Intruiging contest winner takes all. Ag coaches were quick to counter last night and seem to be able think on their feet. Seriously good hurlers on this Ag team looking forward to next week. Na Parsaigh coaches must be looking forward with a lot of optimism to the coming year at Minor grade where they will be a force.

I am not convinced by lee he mouths a lot at his own players and not in a positive way. He is undoubtly talented time will tell. I would not start him at full forward I would play him at right half forward and let him have a free role. I would put Ahern in full forward ball in hand he will be difficult to stop. Played there before for Cork u16s with good returns 1-3 against Waterford and 6 points against Laois. The Ag will handle the sweeper system with runners coming through the middle laying balls off to the corners. Intruiging contest winner takes all. Ag coaches were quick to counter last night and seem to be able think on their feet. Seriously good hurlers on this Ag team looking forward to next week. Na Parsaigh coaches must be looking forward with a lot of optimism to the coming year at Minor grade where they will be a force.

Good assessment tactical wise

Is christy connerry going stay castlematyr or go to na piarssigh

Gardiner should do well with the U21

Who's doing the minors next year

Have not a clue but will ask my man in Na Parsaigh. rumour has it that this years under 16 coaches. Joe O meara, Neill O Connor and two other lads will take on the minor's. But this has to be confirmed. O' Meara played minor for Cork and senior for Na Parsaigh he is astute and comitted.
    Gardiner who knows, quite a few of this years minors with the likes of Eddie Gunning and Brian O' Callaghan will make up the u21 squad.

Have not a clue but will ask my man in Na Parsaigh. rumour has it that this years under 16 coaches. Joe O meara, Neill O Connor and two other lads will take on the minor's. But this has to be confirmed. O' Meara played minor for Cork and senior for Na Parsaigh he is astute and comitted.
    Gardiner who knows, quite a few of this years minors with the likes of Eddie Gunning and Brian O' Callaghan will make up the u21 squad.

Sounds good

I heard bout o meara all right good

Sarsfields showed why you need good coaching at minor

Your man out there eammon o sullivan I think if I'm correct had them this year

He's Kilmallock originally played with them

Young good coach

Ballyhea have set up a committee to find manager

I wonder at times in club with committee
    If you have astute shrewd secretary club that understand game and has he'd nose and ear to the ground they know the top young coach to approach
    And saves wasting time

These committee imo serve no real purpose at club level really in picking a manager

• Advertisement

Next years club minor championship should certainly be a cracker

I think Eddie Gunning Dayne Lee And the goalie O callaghan will be overage - on the age they were competitive when younger but seemed to derail for a while - hopefully back on track now

I ve seen an awful lot of this group on the age over the years ( premier mostly )and Blackrock have always won the majors up along with Fr O Neills on their heels

Sars are shored up with that very talented 1998 team and will be competive next year also and Douglas have made great strides last year or two as well and have the most talented kid in the age in the county in Shane kingston

2015 club championship will be something to look forward to

in terms of inter county they have never produced the goods so far ( discounting Eugene Carey tournament as irrelevant ) and I've not seen significant progression over the years with the dev squads so it's hard to know

The talent is there and here's hoping Ring et al can work the oracle - we need it

spot with the overage players, If you have seen a lot of the premier then would you be of the opinion that there are players on the city premier one teams that merit an opportunity at minor level and are not getting a look in for whatever reason.

Next years club minor championship should certainly be a cracker

I think Eddie Gunning Dayne Lee And the goalie O callaghan will be overage - on the age they were competitive when younger but seemed to derail for a while - hopefully back on track now

I ve seen an awful lot of this group on the age over the years ( premier mostly )and Blackrock have always won the majors up along with Fr O Neills on their heels

Sars are shored up with that very talented 1998 team and will be competive next year also and Douglas have made great strides last year or two as well and have the most talented kid in the age in the county in Shane kingston

2015 club championship will be something to look forward to

in terms of inter county they have never produced the goods so far ( discounting Eugene Carey tournament as irrelevant ) and I've not seen significant progression over the years with the dev squads so it's hard to know

The talent is there and here's hoping Ring et al can work the oracle - we need it
    Enlighten me please how a 1998 team are eligible for minor
    We are in 2014
    To break it down that's a sixteen year gap

I don't think these minors played in 98 realistically at any age

Unfortunately I have to correct you you are wrong to say kingston is the most talented minor in cork

Tim o mahony is just as talented and I'm aware you probably don't have much interest in teams out side the city so I will enlighten you with my knowledge

Tim o mahony has been outstanding I'm the harty cup and 21 championship and played senior for newtown, that's in North cork by the way

He played senior and came on as a sub v na piarssigh and had brilliant Darren mannix in trouble

He's equal to kingston a super talent

Also looney is going to be cork senior and had performed for aghada at intermediate

Halloran is just as equal as kingston

You are talking nononese of the highest order if you think the u17 tournament is meaningless

Limerick didn't think so when lot fringe minors like Byrnes houlian and Boylan were allowed played in it in lead up the minor final

Yes a lot cork and limerick lad's missed it due other games but it's treated seriously so much so kilkenny brought a star studded team even without minors down and had both john power and dj Carey sons involved
    Through years Cork dominate it but never win minor simply as coaches at minor were not there to follow on the progress

That will change now
    I know from talking to coaches clare, KK,,etc they value the tournament
    It's in need of some tweaking but huge value to underage hurling

spot with the overage players, If you have seen a lot of the premier then would you be of the opinion that there are players on the city premier one teams that merit an opportunity at minor level and are not getting a look in for whatever reason.

Seventh we went through that debate few week ago and clearly proved last this year no clear cut ommission city lad's

I posted cork minor panel this year close to it few weeks ago and to be fair you couldn't argue single player on it

And lot close calls
    Shane walsh landers didn't make it two examples they would walk on any minor panel elsewhere
    Competition is huge

You pick city lad's club country think it's bias and vice versa

There's no bias trust me

I'm still waiting for a single exam Ple in over twenty years management in game proven coach like ring won all around him does club bias

Complete nonense to suggest he does
    At lower levels I agree you have a point but not this minor set up

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

We've already established there is a conspiracy against city hurlers Seventh led by Ring, do catch up.

Sorry sir, its just a pet hate of mine. I like to step back and take a look at an athlete because in essence this is what these kids are. Envision what they can become if they are developed looked brought on. I have a professional qualifaction in the subject field so I like to waffle on a bit excuse me. our learned friend TTM has a wealth of knowledge and in fairness to him he share it on a regular basis. I have seen a lot of these kids over the last four years and watched the type of athlete we are bringing through at all underage grades. We favour lighter mobile kids and we then expect them to compte against larger framed individauls in other County structures. Its my opinion and this is what this forum is about opinions, that we consistently get it wrong when it comes to a selection model. We do have not a blueprint to get us back to the top of the pile. There are issues with standards across the city county divide its apparent when you see the quality of games produced in the underage sections. As for bias there will always be bias in some shape or form as opinions of players will differ from person to person. I really hope for the sake of Cork hurling that someone has the foresight to see this. I have seen the morphology of kids across all grades in Cork and the promient counties that make up the hurling elite. Kids vary in size and make up across the country but one thing I have observed is we pick them small and they suffer as a consquence.

Sorry sir, its just a pet hate of mine. I like to step back and take a look at an athlete because in essence this is what these kids are. Envision what they can become if they are developed looked brought on. I have a professional qualifaction in the subject field so I like to waffle on a bit excuse me. our learned friend TTM has a wealth of knowledge and in fairness to him he share it on a regular basis. I have seen a lot of these kids over the last four years and watched the type of athlete we are bringing through at all underage grades. We favour lighter mobile kids and we then expect them to compte against larger framed individauls in other County structures. Its my opinion and this is what this forum is about opinions, that we consistently get it wrong when it comes to a selection model. We do have not a blueprint to get us back to the top of the pile. There are issues with standards across the city county divide its apparent when you see the quality of games produced in the underage sections. As for bias there will always be bias in some shape or form as opinions of players will differ from person to person. I really hope for the sake of Cork hurling that someone has the foresight to see this. I have seen the morphology of kids across all grades in Cork and the promient counties that make up the hurling elite. Kids vary in size and make up across the country but one thing I have observed is we pick them small and they suffer as a consquence.

And as a footnote I never siad there was a bias against city players by Mr Ring in any shape or form. I was referring to other age groups and selections for winter training panels.

Extremely difficult to argue with that

Lot of truth there

Congrats to mticheatown cbs winning munster c under 16 hurling beating blarney With around seven clubs represented.
    Normally football country wonderful win for hurling down there.

Coached by the one and only Anthony Nash
    Congratulations horse you must be delighted being that aera

Ucc won fresher semi final play the all star all laden Ul with twenty eight panel players who all represented different counties underage in cork next Monday freshers league final coached by the magnificent Declan Fitzgerald

Ul have trevor horgan and Darren o driscoll carrigtwohill on the panel

They meet b final tommorrow hurling league also

Rochestown qualified corn u mhuire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭CORKDOUBLE

Anyone of our experts at the football games today ....real in depth coverage of the hurling games ....please the same on the football lads ...thanks in advance.......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement