Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AC/DC New album and Tour.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Anyway forgetting about those magnificent beasts from Airbourne for one minute (I know some people can't help but bring them up)

I really like that new song even though they re-use the riff from All Screwed Up, it's definitely on the same level as the Black Ice material, this album will be their best since Back In Black :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭briany

Anyway forgetting about those magnificent beasts from Airbourne for one minute (I know some people can't help but bring them up)

I really like that new song even though they re-use the riff from All Screwed Up, it's definitely on the same level as the Black Ice material, this album will be their best since Back In Black :pac:

Neither of the two released would quite have the anthemic fist-raising quality of RnR Train, and as AC/DC tend to release their best or at least most live friendly songs as lead singles, it's unlikely that the album will get much better than what we've already heard. That's not to say they're bad, oh no, but I can't imagine it being as good as Black Ice, unfortunately.

All Screwed Up is a great song. All the tracks off of Stiff Upper Lip are very good. It's a very mid-tempo groove-oriented album, with much more emphasis on a boogie feel and it has probably the best, most natural sound since Mutt Lange. Especially House of Jazz. That's a stomper.

http://grooveshark.com/s/House+Of+Jazz/4QeQgf?src=5

I'd give a YT link but AC/DC's management have apparently sent the copyright elves forth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭LETS GET NAKED

Was wondering which song they're gonna open the set with on the next tour and have fizzy balls again just thinking about seeing them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

briany wrote: »
    Neither of the two released would quite have the anthemic fist-raising quality of RnR Train, and as AC/DC tend to release their best or at least most live friendly songs as lead singles, it's unlikely that the album will get much better than what we've already heard. That's not to say they're bad, oh no, but I can't imagine it being as good as Black Ice, unfortunately.

I agree, optimistic thinking there from SYN. I'm hoping it'll be a good album but like Briany, i can't see it as being an album we'll be raving about in 6 months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Was wondering which song they're gonna open the set with on the next tour and have fizzy balls again just thinking about seeing them again.

I'm gonna take a wild guess that it will be Let's Play Ball. :D

• Advertisement

Relatively small thing, but will Stevie be doing backing vox as well? Did he do them in 88? Will AC/DC be able to do 'Dirty Deeds...' without Malcolm's frog voice bit? At least they still have Angus to go 'YAAAAAAAARRGH!'at the end of it...

Also, regarding backing vox, they sound great on official live releases but a bit off-key in many bootlegs. Makes me wonder if the official ones get touched up in post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

• blastman wrote: »

Really looking forward to it after reading that!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

blastman wrote: »

Don't read too much into that, place was full of DC Nuthuggers.

Metallica had a listening party for Load or St Anger, can't remember which, in an Arena in NYC, the fans went nuts over it

scudzilla wrote: »

Metallica had a listening party for Load or St Anger, can't remember which, in an Arena in NYC, the fans went nuts over it

Exactly. Look at what he says about Lets Play Ball and the title track and how good he thinks they are. While I think they're ok, they aren't classics by any means and if he's that enthusiastic about them two, I think his enthuasism for the rest of the tracks can be taken with a pinch of salt.

I'm still looking forward to the album though and hope it's decent.

• Advertisement

Exactly. Look at what he says about Lets Play Ball and the title track and how good he thinks they are. While I think they're ok, they aren't classics by any means and if he's that enthusiastic about them two, I think his enthuasism for the rest of the tracks can be taken with a pinch of salt.

I'm still looking forward to the album though and hope it's decent.

Yeah, Rock or Bust is very standard fare by AC/DC standards. Nice little rock song, but it's pretty sparse on ideas. I don't really hear it lighting up stadiums and arenas around the world. Play Ball could get people going, though.

It's usually AC/DC's 'stadium' songs that get all the fanfare, but there's about 70 percent of their back catalog that never gets a mention. Like any fan of the band, I'm more interested in what's after track 1 'cause the band can make rock songs that put out a serious groove but aren't really meant for live play. Even on the last album, Black Ice, songs like Rock 'n' Roll Dream are great headphone songs. I think the real quality of an album should be judged in what goes in between the singles, 'cause as far as I'm concerned, an album is still sh*te if it contains one great number and 9 stinkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭fyfe79

scudzilla wrote: »

Yeah, every printed press review of an AC/DC album for the last 20 years has been the same - "the last album got great reviews, but hasn't aged well, but this one is fantastic!". The massive bands always get good reviews so that the publication in question will get their interview 'cos they haven't p*ssed off the band.
    In this case, a room full of die-hards, probably after a few drinks, listening to the new album being blasted at convert volume, aren't going to be non biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Sugarlumps wrote: »

Great interview. One of the annoying things when you follow a band through their album junkets is that they basically give the same interview about 30 or 40 times. Stern's one of the only interviewers with the sense, or maybe the license, to ask a few probing and interesting questions.

• One week to go until the new album is out ( at least in Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

i know there are bullsh1t rumours all the time but i heard today that a major rock band are playing in punchestown on june 13.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

i know there are bullsh1t rumours all the time but i heard today that a major rock band are playing in punchestown on june 13.

thats my band - "skullcrushers"

thats my band - "skullcrushers"

Double live album - "Punchestown Punch-Up".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Blackie Grey

Heard some of the new album-awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭LETS GET NAKED

Heard Hard Times and Rock the House myself the other day thought they were pretty good (especially RTH, probably my favourite so far). So far I prefer this to Black Ice, but I didn't really like Black Ice. Prefer it to Ballbreaker and probably Razor's Edge as well from what I've heard so far.

Both of the new songs I heard are 2:40~, so would expect the main complaint with this album to be that it comes and goes and the weaker tracks will probably be completely unmemorable.

Anyway, the album doesn't sound like Black Ice part 2 imo, more kind of Flick of the Switch/Blow up your video groove. I hope there's a couple more with the kind of upbeat sound that Play Ball has.

Rock the house will be a complete banger live, people will have this album written off before they hear it, but if songs like Rock the house were on For Those about to Rock instead they'd be looked back on fondly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Pretty interesting review, I agree with his point about their lyrics

www.theguardian.com/music/2014/nov/24/acdc-rock-or-bust-first-listen-review

• Heard some of the new album-awful

Where can you hear it?

Where can you hear it?

"Hard Times" and "Rock the House" leaked some time over the weekend. Sounds like they were being played on a radio station and someone ripped them. Both are mid tempo, going for a syncopated, funky-ish rhythm, similar to the titular title of Black Ice. Neither are going to particularly set the world alight but they're both decent filler. As for where you can hear it, I suppose I can't give a positive answer that would be Boards friendly, but some sniffing around on the web should produce results.

The album sounds very Black Ice-ish in terms of the production. No surprise given it's by the same producer in the same studios. Since it's mainly the production which differentiates AC/DC albums, this is very much akin to Black Ice.

New video, it's slightly better than the last one

That's more like what you want to see from an AC/DC video. Few fans rocking out with the band, just what's needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Rock Or Bust is available for streaming on iTunes
    http://smarturl.it/RockorBustStream

Anyone had a listen yet? I won't get a chance till this evening myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Anyone had a listen yet? I won't get a chance till this evening myself.

I've had several listens to it, it's nothing game changing, just good 'ol reliable AC/DC

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I've had several listens to it, it's nothing game changing, just good 'ol reliable AC/DC

I keep going back to Dogs of War.

low pitched voice

"Dogs of war..."

Yes, absolutely no real surprises. The band try one or two production tricks here and there, though. Nothing that messes with the formula, but certainly stuff that makes it sound like a modern record. The production of the guitars sounds like a carbon copy of Black Ice to me. There's definitely parallels of BUYV in the sound with the reverb, except it's not as strong and it's not there to cover up Brian's voice which was flagging badly on that album. I prefer the warmer, up-front production of Vanda & Young, myself.

• Advertisement

I know it can be argues that all AC/DC sound the same (and that's part of the fun!) but following on from what Briany says about RoB sounding like Black Ice, the song Rock The Blues Away is very very similar to Anything Goes.

Edit - jaysus that's a short album. All done in about 35 mins. Not overly impressed on first listen but I'll give it a few more spins before writing it off.

Advertisement