Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AC/DC New album and Tour.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,541 ✭✭✭✭briany

Ed Graham who used to drum for The Darkness and Stone Gods would be a good fit, but I remember reading a few years ago he had to have both hips replaced after he got some blood disorder, he left The Darkness recently, could be more health problems who knows.

Good shout. Maybe AC/DC would want someone in and around their own age, though, I don't know.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Graham would be great but he's had serious health problems, I don't know would he be able for it.

On the age profile, I think they'd happily take an 18 year old with them if they had a similar groove to Rudd.

This lad is 21/22, I'm pretty sure they'd sign him up if he was available

Graham would be great but he's had serious health problems, I don't know would he be able for it.

On the age profile, I think they'd happily take an 18 year old with them if they had a similar groove to Rudd.

This lad is 21/22, I'm pretty sure they'd sign him up if he was available

You see it sometimes though, where an older band will take on a member who's 20, 30, or 40 years younger than the average of the rest of the members. That's OK if he/she is a background figure but as a full member it looks a bit out of place to me, like Wolfgang Van Halen in Van Halen or Adam Lambert with Queen. As good as they may be, it's always a case of the odd one out. I think if AC/DC wanted, they'd have world class drummers lining up around the block to play for them so I don't think it'd be too difficult to find someone who not only has groove but also is in the 'peer' age range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I think it's fairly safe to assume that they'll have an old guy on drums. I doubt they'd ever consider anyone under the age of 40.

AC/DC drummers (along with Malcolm and Cliff) have always blended into the background so I doubt they'd want anyone who would draw extra attention which a young drummer or someone mega famous from another band would do. It might not be yer man from the videos but I reckon it'll someone of his era and recognition.

Unless they have any other nephews/grandkids who play the drums.....!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Tesco TripleChicken

McDave wrote: »
    Bought ROB yesterday and have listened through 6 or 7 times already, so I'm giving it a rest before refamiliarising myself with it.

I'm assuming most people here are fans and will buy it themselves, and will try to get to any Dublin concert that might be scheduled. So here's my tuppence worth.

Pluses
    - Really strong opening. 'Rock or Bust' and 'Play Ball' both sound really good, and are straight additions to the AC/DC canon. Classic stuff;
    - Stevie does a really good job, especially on those opening tracks. He's got a bit of the DNA alright;
    - Brian's vocals are very good;
    - Rudd's drumming is up to his trademark standards, whatever about the reported difficulties getting him into the studio.

Minuses
    - The album really tails off after the storming start. TBH it almost sounds like a different band from track 3. Someone mentioned that 'Rock the Blues Away' sounds like another version of 'Anything Goes' off Black Ice. They have a point. While it's not bad, IMO it's far too poppy for AC/DC;
    - I'm struggling to remember tunes or riffs from later songs. It's not that they're bad. They're just not striking enough. In time they may turn out to be slow burners, and more qualities might shine through.

Overall
    I'm getting a bit of an SUL vibe off this album (my least favourite album outside FOTW). To me SUL was a half-hearted effort with a couple of knock-out tracks. So far, I'm hearing nothing to elevate ROB above SUL, let alone better later-era albums like Black Ice and Ballbreaker. For instance Black Ice had a few really good tracks, plus an interesting departure in 'Stormy May Day'. They haven't used that direction as a springboard for a foray into, say, a bit of southern Skynrdy blues, with added hardness.

I'm prepared to give ROB more time to grow, but there's no way I'd be giving it any more than 3/5 at this stage.

I've listened through the album about 8 times now according to iTunes, and the only tracks that really stand out to me are Rock or Bust and Dogs of War. I've been kinda listening to it passively (while busy doing something else) so maybe I just need to give it a proper listen to appreciate it. Good album, but a bit too short in my opinion. Average track time looks like it's around 3mins, while Black Ice was around 4 mins, and Ballbreaker almost around 5 mins by the looks of it (just having a glance through iTunes library).
    Overall I'd put BI, BB and SUL above ROB, and probably give it a 6.5/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Much as I love AC/DC and I've grown up with them since the early days, they haven't made a decent album since the 80s.

Still at this very late stage of their career a band well worth seeing live but their days of producing an album of note finished quite early in Brian's career with the band.

adox wrote: »
    Much as I love AC/DC and I've grown up with them since the early days, they haven't made a decent album since the 80s.

Still at this very late stage of their career a band well worth seeing live but their days of producing an album of note finished quite early in Brian's career with the band.

That's your opinion, but no albums of note? Black Ice absolutely smashed the rock charts when it hit and the following tour did close to half a billion dollars. It's probably AC/DC's most dense and varied album to date as well. It's certainly their longest, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭fluke

I partially agree. The band (and Brian's career with them) peaked with BiB.

For me the output after BiB was pretty hollow and sounded like the band going for a sound driven by playing to stadiums. However, SuL and BI (and to an extent Ballbreaker) showed the band returning their roots. The last two albums are really strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

For my money, the Razor's Edge was more than a decent album. Ballbreaker was decent too. I'd have my doubts about the post-80s rest, although any fan will listen to them more than the odd time.

One week on, I've put ROB on my iTouch and given it a few more listens on the go. I think it's a bit better than Black Ice. Just that bit more consistent, and fuller sounding, and easier to listen through. To that extent, it's more like Ballbreaker, and with a similar sound.

Songwise, the twin punch start is still the highlight. Rock the Night Away is still too poppy for me. Miss Adventure is close to unlistenable filler. Dogs of War gets back on track, but not to the level of ROB or Play Ball. I like the martial tempo of Rock & Roll Thunder - very good. The next few tracks are very listenable peaking again with Sweet Candy. Emission Control closes on a relative low.

Verdict: definitely worth buying - in the round more likeable and listenable than Black Ice - on a par with Ballbreaker - not as good as Razor's Edge.

Brian Johnson has really come to the fore over the last two albums. I hope he can keep the motor going. If Angus stays interested, there's no reason why AC/DC can't produce one more album. Maybe lose the schoolboy kacks, and give freer rein to a bluesier style that accommodates Brian's strengths. They're living legends now. Take a chance on changing gear?

• Advertisement

One week on, I've put ROB on my iTouch and given it a few more listens on the go. I think it's a bit better than Black Ice. Just that bit more consistent, and fuller sounding, and easier to listen through. To that extent, it's more like Ballbreaker, and with a similar sound.

Songwise, the twin punch start is still the highlight. Rock the Night Away is still too poppy for me. Miss Adventure is close to unlistenable filler. Dogs of War gets back on track, but not to the level of ROB or Play Ball. I like the martial tempo of Rock & Roll Thunder - very good. The next few tracks are very listenable peaking again with Sweet Candy. Emission Control closes on a relative low.

Verdict: definitely worth buying - in the round more likeable and listenable than Black Ice - on a par with Ballbreaker - not as good as Razor's Edge.

Brian Johnson has really come to the fore over the last two albums. I hope he can keep the motor going. If Angus stays interested, there's no reason why AC/DC can't produce one more album. Maybe lose the schoolboy kacks, and give freer rein to a bluesier style that accommodates Brian's strengths. They're living legends now. Take a chance on changing gear?

I'd like to see Angus come in regular clothes just for the dumbfounded reaction that would take place, but he'll never change and very would want him to. Brian Johnson also mentions that Angus is like Clark Kent in that he puts on his suit and he becomes something more, basically. So the suit is good. And speaking of Brian Johnson, his vocals have been superb over the last two albums. O'Brien has really gotten the best out of him. I still can't work out how Johnson manages to sing like that at 67 and smoking rollies.

briany wrote: »
    I'd like to see Angus come in regular clothes just for the dumbfounded reaction that would take place, but he'll never change and very would want him to. Brian Johnson also mentions that Angus is like Clark Kent in that he puts on his suit and he becomes something more, basically. So the suit is good. And speaking of Brian Johnson, his vocals have been superb over the last two albums. O'Brien has really gotten the best out of him. I still can't work out how Johnson manages to sing like that at 67 and smoking rollies.

It was good to see Angus playing in his civilian clothes in the pictures on the inside cover of Rock or Bust. And he's giving it loads too, not your typical 'in the studio' pictures. Probably the closest we'll get to seeing him doing that.

As for Brian's voice, I'd say it's the fact that he does smoke that makes him sound like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

That's your opinion, but no albums of note? Black Ice absolutely smashed the rock charts when it hit and the following tour did close to half a billion dollars. It's probably AC/DC's most dense and varied album to date as well. It's certainly their longest, anyway.

It was a fairly feeble album. It sold tons and the tour was a huge money spinner.

ush wrote: »
    It was a fairly feeble album. It sold tons and the tour was a huge money spinner.

Dude you're out to lunch. Sure there was a bit of filler in there and the fat could've been trimmed. However, Black Ice is as varied as AC/DC had been in a long long time.

fluke wrote: »
    Dude you're out to lunch. Sure there was a bit of filler in there and the fat could've been trimmed. However, Black Ice is as varied as AC/DC had been in a long long time.

I like Black Ice and think it's a really good album but apart from a bit of slide guitar on one song, I don't see it being any different musically than any other album. So I don't agree with the argument that it is more varied. It's an AC/DC album, you know what you're getting and you get exactly that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Bit of filler? Ok. Can't remember if it was "varied" as most of it really wasn't worth listening to again. Same with Stiff Upper Lip. Ballbreaker was the closest they came to having an entire album worth listening to again. Love Bomb and Caught With Your Pants Down were filler. Otherwise Rubin got the best out them since the Back in Black.

Way too much filler on Black Ice and Stiff Upper Lip. Singles were ok though. The Black Ice shows really dragged through War Machine, Black Ice and Anything Goes.

I agree. There's the big single (R'n'R Train), bluesier stuff (Stormy May Day), poppier stuff (Anything Goes) and even a bit of an experiment in R'n'R Dream which uses some production tricks like those repeats on Brian's voice (round 'n' round 'n' round) along with that reverse envelope thing on the guitar leading into verses. Only thing is there's not much variance in the tempos. It's mainly mid-tempo with a couple of slower ones thrown in.

I like Black Ice and think it's a really good album but apart from a bit of slide guitar on one song, I don't see it being any different musically than any other album. So I don't agree with the argument that it is more varied. It's an AC/DC album, you know what you're getting and you get exactly that.

When I say varied I mean within the AC/DC world. However, the idea that every (and I mean each every) album that 'DC has released is the same, is a lazy argument.

Bit of filler? Ok. Can't remember if it was "varied" as most of it really wasn't worth listening to again. Same with Stiff Upper Lip. Ballbreaker was the closest they came to having an entire album worth listening to again. Love Bomb and Caught With Your Pants Down were filler. Otherwise Rubin got the best out them since the Back in Black.

Way too much filler on Black Ice and Stiff Upper Lip. Singles were ok though. The Black Ice shows really dragged through War Machine, Black Ice and Anything Goes.

Wow. I think were on complete opposite sides of the track. Ballbreaker is okayish and at least it's a return to their roots, but the Rubin sessions were 'interesting' - Rubin is known for coming in now and again to the studio and saying tweak this or that, he's not really a hands on guy and I think the Youngs found it difficult working with him.

Wow. I think were on complete opposite sides of the track. Ballbreaker is okayish and at least it's a return to their roots, but the Rubin sessions were 'interesting' - Rubin is known for coming in now and again to the studio and saying tweak this or that, he's not really a hands on guy and I think the Youngs found it difficult working with him.

What's weird is that AC/DC get accused of being the samiest band around and yet I can hardly find two people who agree on what's good outside of the ones generally regarded as the classics. Ballbreaker is a good album that suffers from a jangly kind of production style. It sounds ultra close mic-ed and, as a result, you can even hear the plec hitting the strings. It's my opinion that this ultra close up style of production takes away from the production rather than adds to it, though. Rubin's had a good deal of success with what he's done, but it's not a winning formula for everyone.

• Advertisement

Listened to Black Ice the other day. After the opener, for me it really dragged all the way until Stormy May Day, and then again until Rock N Roll Dream, after which it's pretty alright to the end. And SUL. Lots of filler between the excellent opener and closer.

Agree with your appraisal of Ballbreaker. I liked Rubin's production. I'm increasingly seeing ROB as picking up from that vein.

Listened to Black Ice the other day. After the opener, for me it really dragged all the way until Stormy May Day, and then again until Rock N Roll Dream, after which it's pretty alright to the end. And SUL. Lots of filler between the excellent opener and closer.

Agree with your appraisal of Ballbreaker. I liked Rubin's production. I'm increasingly seeing ROB as picking up from that vein.

I wouldn't class songs like Anything Goes, Skies on Fire or Money Made as being mere 'filler'. AC/DC at their strongest, particularly in the Johnson era, have a good sense of melody in their music and even the lesser songs on Black Ice are at least shooting for a hooky chorus or a little motif.

I wouldn't class songs like Anything Goes, Skies on Fire or Money Made as being mere 'filler'. AC/DC at their strongest, particularly in the Johnson era, have a good sense of melody in their music and even the lesser songs on Black Ice are at least shooting for a hooky chorus or a little motif.
    There were lots of BI songs I thought might grow on me, but which never did. Listening to them the other night reminded me of how little BI grew on me overall. Whereas Ballbreaker, which I'm happy to give more than the occasional whirl, did. It's funny how perceptions differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

AC/DC for the Aviva in July ?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Iceberg

Aviva Stadium, July 1st, Tickets on sale 9am next Wens (17th)

Iceberg wrote: »
    Aviva Stadium, July 1st, Tickets on sale 9am next Wens (17th)

€87.50 is a bit steep don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

€87.50 is a bit steep don't you think?

Totally and especially just before Christmas! Any news on when they are going to announce the other European dates. I might make a small break of it and fly to another country to see them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

That's a ****in joke of a price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Prices only start at €87.50, throw on another few squids for Ticketbastard too.

I wouldn't mind seeing them but fcuk those prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

€87.50 - That is ****ing steep as hell. Any word on who the support will be or would that be announced a couple of weeks before the show.

Advertisement