Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PC Gaming, General & Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Got my new glorious master race machine.

Intel quad core i5 at 3.40 GHz, 8GB DDR3 and a 970 GTX with 4GB of GDDR5.

Also have a spiffy SSD Hard Disk, Windows boots in less than 10 seconds.

Tested it out on Titanfall. Rock solid 60 FPS with everything max at 3840x1080 on my friends monitor (my own is just 1080p)

Feeling really stupid buying that PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Got my new glorious master race machine.

Intel quad core i5 at 3.40 GHz, 8GB DDR3 and a 970 GTX with 4GB of GDDR5.

Also have a spiffy SSD Hard Disk, Windows boots in less than 10 seconds.

Tested it out on Titanfall. Rock solid 60 FPS with everything max at 3840x1080 on my friends monitor (my own is just 1080p)

Feeling really stupid buying that PS4.

How are you finding the GTX 970? Thinking of upgrading from my 6970.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    How are you finding the GTX 970? Thinking of upgrading from my 6970.

Seems to be the best value card when it comes to bang for your buck and 4 GB of GDDR3 means its well future proofed. This PC is a massive upgrade from my old dual core machine so not sure how big a leap it would be over a 6970.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The 6970 is very outdated at this stage - it's still an OK performer, but it's performance is the same more or less as a €100 GTX750 - which uses about a third of the power!

R9 290 and GTX970 are the best value cards at the moment. Either would be twice as fast as the 6970.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Wossack wrote: »
    I <3 Planetside2

shocking prices on in game items though :/

What server are you on? I'm VS on Colbalt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Wossack

What server are you on? I'm VS on Colbalt.

TR on Cobalt, but only like BR30 or so

made a couple of placeholder characters too, as am considering getting the anniversary bundle (so the other chars would get the 6month heroic boost also (?))

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

made a couple of placeholder characters too, as am considering getting the anniversary bundle (so the other chars would get the 6month heroic boost also (?))

I think they should get it alright. I know there were some cases where people didn't and SOE were looking into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I'm after ordering a new laptop over the weekend since my old one broke down a few weeks ago, kind of curious what games it should be able to handle - Intel i5 4200M 2.5GHz (3.1ghz turbo), Intel 4600 HD graphics, 8GB ram.

I'm not looking to play the overly demanding GPS stuff, more just a few titles like Civ 5/BE, maybe FIFA, etc. Also, can anyone recommend any other games similar to Civ or the likes (eg. something you can play more passively and extensively over a long time period per game)?

Would appreciate any suggestions in advance, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I'll keep a eye out for you. I run as Applehead for mighty Papa Vanu. I got the boost myself. Mostly for the armours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Billy86 wrote: »
    I'm after ordering a new laptop over the weekend since my old one broke down a few weeks ago, kind of curious what games it should be able to handle - Intel i5 4200M 2.5GHz (3.1ghz turbo), Intel 4600 HD graphics, 8GB ram.

I'm not looking to play the overly demanding GPS stuff, more just a few titles like Civ 5/BE, maybe FIFA, etc. Also, can anyone recommend any other games similar to Civ or the likes (eg. something you can play more passively and extensively over a long time period per game)?

Would appreciate any suggestions in advance, cheers!

It should be pretty OK for FIFA and BE at low settings and similar games, though it wouldn't be able to handle anything graphically intensive like Far Cry, Call of Duty, Battlefield etc. Sports, some strategy, and indie titles should largely be OK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It should be pretty OK for FIFA and BE at low settings and similar games, though it wouldn't be able to handle anything graphically intensive like Far Cry, Call of Duty, Battlefield etc. Sports, some strategy, and indie titles should largely be OK.

Cheers, that's grand then - all I'm really looking for, wasn't expecting much joy on the FPS type front but barring the GTA games (which don't really even count in that bracket) I haven't been into them for a few years for whatever reason.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It'd still run TF2 or CS:GO - anything Source Engine really, won't be amazing, but it'll definitely be playable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Just ordered A GTX 970 card. Decided to treat myself to an upgrade :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Cravez wrote: »
    Just ordered A GTX 970 card. Decided to treat myself to an upgrade :)

Sweet
    Which one did you go with?

Got one a week or so ago and quite happy with it so far,nice overclocks,low temps,and very frugal with power.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

EoinHef wrote: »
    Sweet
    Which one did you go with?

Got one a week or so ago and quite happy with it so far,nice overclocks,low temps,and very frugal with power.

Went with the EVGA FTW ACX 2.0

The clock and boost speed are on par with the 980 card buy obviously lacks the cores that the 980 has.

Looking forward to seeing how it runs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Cravez wrote: »
    Went with the EVGA FTW ACX 2.0

The clock and boost speed are on par with the 980 card buy obviously lacks the cores that the 980 has.

Looking forward to seeing how it runs :)

Nice man,should hopefully squeeze even more out of it. 1500/8000MHz is achievable on a lot of these cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Irrational Games hiring Unreal skilled type person.

I will hold off on a Swat Tactical Copper shooter 5 thread for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Thinking about an upgrade myself if/when I get my xmas bonus. Got an i5 (sandy bridge), motherboard and 8GB RAM in early 2012 and a 660ti in early 2013, so chronologically, the CPU/motherboard upgrade be due next. However, I'm thinking an upgrade to a 900 series card would be a better bang-for-buck upgrade. Am I right?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I mentioned it in the Upgrading forum but the r9 295x2 is currently available on overclockers.co.uk for under £500. It utterly demolishes a single 980 for £20-£100 more.

Personally, with the 390x not too far down the road I'm not sure it's worth it but it sounds like just about the best deal you can get for a GPU at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Thinking about an upgrade myself if/when I get my xmas bonus. Got an i5 (sandy bridge), motherboard and 8GB RAM in early 2012 and a 660ti in early 2013, so chronologically, the CPU/motherboard upgrade be due next. However, I'm thinking an upgrade to a 900 series card would be a better bang-for-buck upgrade. Am I right?

I've the same i5. I've not really noticed any game giving it trouble. A 970 (or whatever) would be a noticeable upgrade over a 660ti though.

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »
    I mentioned it in the Upgrading forum but the r9 295x2 is currently available on overclockers.co.uk for under £500. It utterly demolishes a single 980 for £20-£100 more.

Personally, with the 390x not too far down the road I'm not sure it's worth it but it sounds like just about the best deal you can get for a GPU at the moment.

The 295x2 is still silly money though and far more power than any single 1080p monitor system needs now or in the next couple of years.

nesf wrote: »
    The 295x2 is still silly money though and far more power than any single 1080p monitor system needs now or in the next couple of years.

So's the 980.

Even the 970 is probably overkill.

They're all great for 1440 though.

So's the 980.

Even the 970 is probably overkill.

They're all great for 1440 though.

I don't see why you'd consider more than a 970 for 1440p. Maybe triple monitor displays, or if you're recording footage you might want more but the 970 now is providing the kind of performance surplus I'd expect from a £350+ card a few years ago.

I don't see why you'd consider more than a 970 for 1440p. Maybe triple monitor displays, or if you're recording footage you might want more but the 970 now is providing the kind of performance surplus I'd expect from a £350+ card a few years ago.

Even a 980 struggles to max out 1440p for the newest FPS' or the likes of Crysis.

And particularly with 100hz+ monitors now being all the craze there's plenty of room for all those extra frames for games where they would've previously been overkill.

Even a 980 struggles to max out 1440p for the newest FPS' or the likes of Crysis.

And particularly with 100hz+ monitors now being all the craze there's plenty of room for all those extra frames for games where they would've previously been overkill.

What's holding back the 980? Memory?

What's holding back the 980? Memory?

Haven't a clue. I'd say it just gets into silly territory at the high end and you're having to pay a huge premium to eke out that last few %. It's probably not economical to do it with one card.

The thing is, people who get 1440p screens tend to be enthusiasts and the sort of people who're happy to shell out for Crossfire or SLI anyway.

Haven't a clue. I'd say it just gets into silly territory at the high end and you're having to pay a huge premium to eke out that last few %. It's probably not economical to do it with one card.

The thing is, people who get 1440p screens tend to be enthusiasts and the sort of people who're happy to shell out for Crossfire or SLI anyway.

True, SLI won't help with memory issues though. I wonder if 1440p becomes standard if we'll see 6GB cards at mainstream prices.

Is there anything good coming out...? I feel like I've fallen out of touch with gaming. I just play counter-strike for a few hours a few times a week to get my fix. Anything else doesn't seem to hold my attention for very long.

Sorry probably the wrong thread. I didn't read the "off-topic" part.

True, SLI won't help with memory issues though. I wonder if 1440p becomes standard if we'll see 6GB cards at mainstream prices.

1440p is between standards I'd say.

It'll probably stay as 1080 for most people and then jump to 2160 in 18 months time or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

The 6970 is very outdated at this stage - it's still an OK performer, but it's performance is the same more or less as a €100 GTX750 - which uses about a third of the power!

I'm still on a 6970 and I only have to turn down a few settings on a 1080 monitor so it will do me until they come out with a more definitive spec for Occulus Rift

Advertisement