Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix and Marvel Team Up For Five Shows

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,367 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Marvel's Daredevil series to debut May 2015.
    Marvel's Daredevil series will debut on Netflix in May 2015.

Showrunner Steven S DeKnight promised that fans can expect a "gritty" feel to the show.

digitalspy

Netflix CCO Ted Sarando says that the decision to launch Daredevil, followed by Luke Cage, Jessica Jones and Iron Fist and eventually blend the characters into The Defenders was - as one would suspect - entirely inspired by the success of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
    "What we love about this particular set of heroes is that they're a little more down to Earth. Costume wise and also in that these are gritty crime stories, more in the streets than in the clouds."

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/08/27/netflix-head-says-daredevil-and-the-defenders-can-be-darker-than-marvel-movies

• Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I predict all 4 will be bland, boring mush like Agents of Shield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Thargor wrote: »
    I predict all 4 will be bland, boring mush like Agents of Shield.

I recommend you watch Agents of Shield again then, picks up a hell of a lot after the Cap2 Tie in, so much so that most people are actually looking forward to season 2 now!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

No it didnt, I dont know how to describe it wihtout saying bland over and over, its just so soulless, probably because of the casting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Thargor wrote: »
    No it didnt, I dont know how to describe it wihtout saying bland over and over, its just so soulless, probably because of the casting.

It did though? As confirmed by almost everyone who has watched it that I know of. Now I understand you may still not have liked it, but it certainly does improve quite a bit after the Cap2 tie in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, I've yet to watch the remainder of the series myself, but a big blocker to any enjoyment was the relatively charmless cast. Good chemistry and charisma can often compensate for deficiencies in a plot or setting, but by the time I jumped ship I was sick to death with the whole team - particularly Skye. I found none of them particularly engaging or interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 85,370 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Mike Colter cast as Luke Cage and Krysten Ritter cast as Jessica Jones

Mike Colter is a great choice I think.

Krysten Ritter I'm not so sure about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Bah. I was really hoping Terry Crews would get Luke Cage....

Bah. I was really hoping Terry Crews would get Luke Cage....

I'd say he is tied to a multi year contract on Brooklyn Nine Nine so he was never going to get out of that. No way Fox are letting someone out of their contract to work for a rival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

True enough. Unfortunate though!

David Tennant cast in Jessica Jones series.
    Marvel and Netflix are proud to announce that David Tennant will star as the villainous Kilgrave in "Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones," an all-new 13-episode series premiering on Netflix in 2015 following "Marvel's Daredevil."

An enigmatic figure from Jessica’s past, Kilgrave’s reappearance will send shockwaves through the former super hero’s world.

http://marvel.com/news/tv/23978/david_tennant_joins_marvels_aka_jessica_jones_for_netflix

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I'm still crossing my fingers on HBO picking up MAX for a series.

I'm all for HBO but to be honest Netflix really have shown the ability to produce shows that are approaching the premium quality that HBO have done for so long. Over the next few years, as they grow even more, I can see them putting out shows with the look and feel and detail of some of HBOs best. They're already pumping out massive budgets, and even though that doesn't always signify a good show it shows that they're trying to give their shows the best chance possible. There'd be no issue with OTT cursing, violence and sex either similar to HBO, Starz and Showtime I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I'm all for HBO but to be honest Netflix really have shown the ability to produce shows that are approaching the premium quality that HBO have done for so long. Over the next few years, as they grow even more, I can see them putting out shows with the look and feel and detail of some of HBOs best. They're already pumping out massive budgets, and even though that doesn't always signify a good show it shows that they're trying to give their shows the best chance possible. There'd be no issue with OTT cursing, violence and sex either similar to HBO, Starz and Showtime I'd imagine.

Oh good, cause that the ones thing that could have really jazzed up Game of Thrones.

Ray Donovan and Southland writer Cheo Hodari Coker will be the showrunner on Marvel's Luke Cage

Netflix & Marvel Television announced today that Cheo Hodari Coker will serve as executive producer and showrunner of the anticipated series, "Marvel’s Luke Cage." Coker is writing the first two episodes of the series that will premiere in 2016, everywhere that Netflix is available.

http://marvel.com/news/tv/24362/cheo_hodari_coker_will_serve_as_executive_producer_and_showrunner_of_marvels_luke_cage_for_netflix

Looks like they want to release a series every 6 months.

Netflix outlines plans for Marvel series
    Netflix has outlined some of its plans for its growing collection of Marvel series.

The team-up between Netflix and Marvel has already proven a huge success, with the premiere of Daredevil earlier this year enjoying huge acclaim from both critics and fans. The series, though, is just the start of Marvel’s move to build an entire world around Hell’s Kitchen on the streaming service, with shows following Jessica Jones, Iron Fist and Luke Cage all in the pipeline, leading up to a crossover miniseries about The Defenders.

Speaking at its dedicated day during America’s TV press tour, Netflix’s Chief Content Officer, Ted Sarandos, confirmed that things were moving full steam ahead, with plans to release 475 hours of original content this year. One of those will be Marvel’s Jessica Jones, which will arrive in the fourth quarter of 2015.

The series, starring Krysten Ritter and David Tennant, will be the second super hero Netflix show of the year. Indeed, Sarandos confirmed that the idea is to release a new show every six months.

Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, and Luke Cage, leading up to a miniseries about the Defenders.

“Then, they will cross over and do a combined season [The Defenders] once we’ve launched the first season of each of the four characters,” he told the press (reported by Collider). “Some will selectively have multiple seasons, as they come out. The cadence of it, though, we believe, will probably be about two launches a year.”

One of the two set for 2016, of course, will be Daredevil’s second season, which will feature Jon Bernthal as The Punisher. With so many characters spinning off and crossing over, could The Punisher get his own standalone outing?

“It is possible for sure. That’s the beauty of the Marvel universe,” said Sarandos, later, also noting that the Netflix MCU characters “could spin out into films too”.

How violent will their take on Punisher be? Daredevil Season 1 showrunner Steven DeKnight said it was “doubtful” that it would be as violent as War Zone – “That was pretty violent” – but also pointed out that Daredevil wasn’t as violent as people thought.

“I always say it was more implied, it wasn’t nearly as violent as The Walking Dead, a show that I love, because for them, if somebody would have crushed somebody’s head in a car door, you would have seen the head crush on screen.”

He also added that he felt Daredevil was snubbed by the Emmys for the series’ stuntwork. “It’s the only one that really surprised me and I was really upset about… for Daredevil not to be nominated in stunts felt like an insane oversight. “That’s not to take anything away from the people who were nominated, but.. that fight scene at the end of episode 2 in the hallway, it just lit up the internet.”

DeKnight, as we already know, has stepped down from his role for Season 2 of Daredevil – his job on the new run, as he puts it, is to “have two pom-poms [and] wave them very frantically” – but he’s told the new showrunners that he’s around if they have questions.

Jessica Jones showrunner Melissa Rosenberg has already picked his brains, she revealed at the event. She also outlined the differences between the shows:

“Jessica Jones is a very different show than Daredevil. We exist in the cinematic universe. The mythology of the universe is connected, but they look very different. Tonally, they’re very different. If you pick up Bendis’s graphic novel, Alias, and you pick up Daredevil, they’re wildly different.”

She also praised Ritter, who doesn’t wear a mask like Charlie Cox did in Daredevil.

“Daredevil has an outfit. Charlie Cox can get a break once in a while. My show is called Jessica Jones. There is no mask,” she commented. “Krysten Ritter is the hardest working actress in the ‘biz.”

http://vodzilla.co/blog/vod-news/netflix-outlines-plans-for-marvel-series/

The Defenders will be shot back to back with Jessica Jones season 2 confirmed by Krysten Ritter.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2016/05/11/krysten-ritter-confirms-back-to-back-filming-for-defenders-and-jessica-jones

• Advertisement
Advertisement