Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix and Marvel Team Up For Five Shows

Options
  • 07-11-2013 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/11/07/daredevil-luke-cage-iron-fist-jessica-jones-tv-series-coming-to-netflix-leading-into-the-defenders-miniseries
    Marvel is going big on the TV show front. Really big. The company has signed a deal with Netflix to produce four separate new live-action TV series – Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist and Jessica Jones. The four shows will then lead into a team-up miniseries, The Defenders.

Daredevil will come first in 2015, followed by Jessica Jones, Iron Fist and Luke Cage. Netflix notes “the epic will unfold over multiple years of original programming,” and that it will take “taking Netflix members deep into the gritty world of heroes and villains of Hell's Kitchen, New York,” indicating the series will be very interconnected (Hell’s Kitchen is of course Dardevil’s traditional home in the comics). Each series has a minimum commitment of 13 episodes each. The Defenders is described as “a dream team of self-sacrificing, heroic characters.”

Marvel Television in association with ABC Television Studios will produce the series.

"This deal is unparalleled in its scope and size, and reinforces our commitment to deliver Marvel's brand, content and characters across all platforms of storytelling. Netflix offers an incredible platform for the kind of rich storytelling that is Marvel's specialty," said Alan Fine, President of Marvel Entertainment. "This serialized epic expands the narrative possibilities of on-demand television and gives fans the flexibility to immerse themselves how and when they want in what's sure to be a thrilling and engaging adventure."

"Marvel's movies, such as Iron Man and Marvel's The Avengers, are huge favorites on our service around the world. Like Disney, Marvel is a known and loved brand that travels," said Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos. "With House of Cards and our other original series, we have pioneered new approaches to storytelling and to global distribution and we're thrilled to be working with Disney and Marvel to take our brand of television to new levels with a creative project of this magnitude."

Talk about Marvel seeking such a deal, for four series and a miniseries, surfaced last month. Among the characters being used, Daredevil is notable as the second live-action interpretation of the character, after the 2003 movie starring Ben Affleck. Marvel got the film and TV rights back to the character in 2012, after 20th Century Fox was unable to begin production on a new movie in time to stop the rights from lapsing. Marvel previously had developed a never-filmed Jessica Jones project for ABC, written by Melissa Rosenberg (Dexter, Twilight). No writers or producers have been announced as yet for the new Marvel TV shows.

On the heels of the launch of Marvel's Agents of SHIELD, there has also been talk of a possible Agent Carter TV show for ABC, starring Hayley Atwell as her Captain America character.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

This could be epic, given that Netflix isn't shy of giving complete creative freedom to writers and producers of TV Shows. As long as it's aimed towards a more mature market, rather than the tween-y feel of the likes of Agents of SHIELD, this could be a great hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,417 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That sounds impressive.

But wonder is this leading to a Disney takeover of Netflix?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Jessica Jones -- fantastic! Always thought Alias would make a great HBO-style TV show.

Would love if they went with a Punisher TV series based on the latest short.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

That sounds impressive.

But wonder is this leading to a Disney takeover of Netflix?
    Don't think so really. Disney and Netflix had signed an exclusive deal about a year ago, which would give Netflix first-run rights of all Disney films after their theatrical release starting from 2016. They obviously have a strong partnership, with a long term startegy involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I'm glad Daredevil is one of the four.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Dman001 wrote: »
    This could be epic, given that Netflix isn't shy of giving complete creative freedom to writers and producers of TV Shows. As long as it's aimed towards a more mature market, rather than the tween-y feel of the likes of Agents of SHIELD, this could be a great hit.
    I would say many of the creative restrictions come from Marvel themselves. They want to appeal to the widest audience and that audience includes young teens.

Although if budgets are tight I can see it helping the shows as most superhero stuff these days relies too heavily on the special effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

DAREDEVIL YES!!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,520 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Now who will Nathan Fillion play :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,732 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Excellent news. It means Marvel could present fresh take on these characters and give us a break from the typical mass destructive fare.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Don't think so really. Disney and Netflix had signed an exclusive deal about a year ago, which would give Netflix first-run rights of all Disney films after their theatrical release starting from 2016. They obviously have a strong partnership, with a long term startegy involved.

I knew about that deal but there has been talk of a Netflix take over a few times in the last year. Netflix would be the prefect outlet for Disney instead of starting their own streaming service in the future a good partnership for both and for use the viewer if it stays around the same price point.

I just hope they cast it right.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I don't think you could really aim Jones' story at a tween audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

Ugh. I looked them up and those seem like a spectacularly dull choice of heroes. The 4 lesser known heroes all basically have superhuman strength and toughness, so we'll be subjected to not one but 4 heroes whose ability is simply to punch stuff real good and not get killed? That doesn't sound very promising. They could always put some interesting spin on it, of course, but if the writers had anything interesting in mind why couldn't they have chosen more interesting heroes to work with in the first place?

Daredevil is slightly more interesting, but he did have a pretty bad film, which coupled with the choice of the other 4 heroes doesn't inspire confidence. His superpower is basically that even though he's blind he can use sonar to function as if he wasn't blind (plus a few side benefits), which has always been a bit of a head scratcher. Also he's an acrobat. So basically blind-but-not-really lawyer who fights real good. Lawyer dramas have been done to death on television, and apart from that it doesn't seem to offer much beyond all the other heroes who punch stuff good.

Anachrony wrote: »
    Ugh. I looked them up and those seem like a spectacularly dull choice of heroes. The 4 lesser known heroes all basically have superhuman strength and toughness, so we'll be subjected to not one but 4 heroes whose ability is simply to punch stuff real good and not get killed? That doesn't sound very promising. They could always put some interesting spin on it, of course, but if the writers had anything interesting in mind why couldn't they have chosen more interesting heroes to work with in the first place?

Daredevil is slightly more interesting, but he did have a pretty bad film, which coupled with the choice of the other 4 heroes doesn't inspire confidence. His superpower is basically that even though he's blind he can use sonar to function as if he wasn't blind (plus a few side benefits), which has always been a bit of a head scratcher. Also he's an acrobat. So basically blind-but-not-really lawyer who fights real good. Lawyer dramas have been done to death on television, and apart from that it doesn't seem to offer much beyond all the other heroes who punch stuff good.

I really recommend you read Alias, because Jessica Jone is anything but your typical comicbook superhero. Here's a spoilerific snippet from Wikipedia:
    As Jewel, Jones was an upstart heroine with a fairly uneventful career until she intervened in a disturbance at a restaurant involving longtime Daredevil foe Zebediah Killgrave, the Purple Man. Killgrave effortlessly placed Jones under his mental control, a situation that would continue for several months. Though she was not sexually assaulted herself, Killgrave enslaved and humiliated Jones, forcing her to watch as he raped a succession of college coeds whom he had abducted and mind-controlled for his amusement. Killgrave also forced Jones to beg him to have sex with her, often until she broke down in tears, only to deny her, as a form of psychological abuse. After eight months under his control, Jones began to lose the distinction between his will and her own, developing a kind of Stockholm Syndrome.

It's not exactly Agents of SHIELD!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,732 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I really recommend you read Alias, because Jessica Jone is anything but your typical comicbook superhero...

It's not exactly Agents of SHIELD!

Very true, but Marvel are likely to eliminate that in order to attract the widest audience possible, including teenagers.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

It's a pity that they split Luke Cage & Iron Fist into separate shows. In the comics they formed a partnership "Heroes For Hire", there's more potential for story in their 'odd couple' pairing than on their own.

I actually think a tv series would suit Daredevil better than a full movie. Ongoing storylines and the street-level nature of Daredevil's enemies would be more interesting in a tv format.

Anachrony wrote: »
    Ugh. I looked them up and those seem like a spectacularly dull choice of heroes. The 4 lesser known heroes all basically have superhuman strength and toughness, so we'll be subjected to not one but 4 heroes whose ability is simply to punch stuff real good and not get killed? That doesn't sound very promising. They could always put some interesting spin on it, of course, but if the writers had anything interesting in mind why couldn't they have chosen more interesting heroes to work with in the first place

Alot of people said the same when Ironman was chosen, Marvel also have the problem that they sold the rights to alot of their characters to different companies.

Also they can't please eveyone and this is also a way to expand the Marvel Universe to get people to buy more Marvel products.

Very true, but Marvel are likely to eliminate that in order to attract the widest audience possible, including teenagers.

Widest audience possible is on Disney's own network ABC, though. The choice of Netflix, and the choice of characters, makes me think they're going to go something a bit less mainstream. Netflix's own output so far (House of Cards, Orange is the New Black) is closer to HBO/AMC than ABC.

FWIW, I'd be surprised if they did push the Jessica Jones thing above so far, but I don't think it's going to be Buffy Mk. 2 either.

Disney/Marvel pumping $200 million into making these and Daredevil will be the first series released in 2015.

Source

Michael C Hall said he would consider playing Daredevil.

Dexter as Daredevil I could see that working.

Variety

• Advertisement

These shows will be part of the MCU the Marvel crossovers is about to get whole lot more complicated.

Link

Michael C Hall said he would consider playing Daredevil.

Dexter as Daredevil I could see that working.

Variety

Definitely, if he bulked up a bit.

Anyone think the Punisher has a chance of returning to our screens anytime soon?

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Definitely, if he bulked up a bit.

Anyone think the Punisher has a chance of returning to our screens anytime soon?

I enjoyed the Thomas Jane and Travlota movie, didn't watch the sequel as I heard it was terribad.

I would welcome Frank Castle back to the big screen though!

I enjoyed the Thomas Jane and Travlota movie, didn't watch the sequel as I heard it was terribad.

I would welcome Frank Castle back to the big screen though!

I preferred WarZone to be honest. Both Jane and Stevenson are excellent fits for the character.

H. H. Asquith

They have had three Punisher films now and none really worked although enjoyable in there own rights.

I'm just not sure the Frank works on the big screen.

I could see it working on Netflix or a Cable Network where his story can be told over a season.

He could be intro'd in Daredevil for his own series down the line.

They have had three Punisher films now and none really worked although enjoyable in there own rights.

I'm just not sure the Frank works on the big screen.

I could see it working on Netflix or a Cable Network where his story can be told over a season.

He could be intro'd in Daredevil for his own series down the line.

I'm still crossing my fingers on HBO picking up MAX for a series.

H. H. Asquith

I'm still crossing my fingers on HBO picking up MAX for a series.

My guess is that won't happen Disney have ABC for there own shows like Agents and a working relationship with Netflix for these four shows.

They wouldn't want to piss Netflix off with the billions they get off them for exclusive rights.

My guess is that won't happen Disney have ABC for there own shows like Agents and a working relationship with Netflix for these four shows.

They wouldn't want to piss Netflix off with the billions they off them.

The Punisher MAX series was the set of comics I read. I wouldn't trust anyone but HBO not to foul it up but that's even assuming it even gets a look in for an adaptation.

H. H. Asquith

I think Netflix is a safe set of hands for these they seem to be getting the right people in. Drew Goddard on paper looks like the prefect show runner and if given the freedom he needs I think he will do a great job.

Netflix Originals so far have been to a pretty good standard for a first time company making there own shows.

• Advertisement

This has now lost it's showrunner Drew Goddard :(

This following Edgar Wright leaving Ant-man yesterday is there trouble ahead for Marvel.

link

Advertisement