Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate (v2) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Beano wrote: »
    head shots on a man running away from you? Have you seen the standard of a typical gangland hitman? they're lucky to hit the same county.

Except for of course Darren, although he is out of it now but he was the only one of Nidge's men who actually done target practise before a hit, thats why it phucked up Nidge when he had to take him out, as he was not only a friend but his best hit man ever. Darren would have got Patrick had he been still around.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

bazarakus wrote: »
    Does anyone know which part of Dubbers Love/Hate was set in? As in, what part were "the lads" (Nidge, Darren, Tommy, Elmo) all supposed to be from? John Boy too I spose. Is it ever referenced? Are any of the places it was shot clearly identifiable? I had me ears peeled all thru it for mentions but don't remember any, except in the final episode when The Guards talk about the suspect driving on the "Navan Road".

Season 3 had quite a few identifiable places, it's one of the reasons that I love that season the most. A lot of it was filmed around Dublin 8, particularly the quays and Thomas Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭DynamiteC101

The Sunday world had an article today about some film maker who is creating a fictional gangland series for TV3. Supposedly it's going to rival Love/Hate, and the film maker (Mark O'Connor) feels it will be the most realistic portrayal of gangland. He's not concerned about two similar Tv shows being done at the same time.

There's no point being cynical and I'd love to see another great Tv show like Love/Hate, but it will be interesting to see how this develops in terms of authenticity.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,248 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The Sunday world had an article today about some film maker who is creating a fictional gangland series for TV3. Supposedly it's going to rival Love/Hate, and the film maker (Mark O'Connor) feels it will be the most realistic portrayal of gangland. He's not concerned about two similar Tv shows being done at the same time.

I reckon we may stop being so harsh on Love/Hate if that comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭DynamiteC101

Eoin wrote: »

Ah don't have that attitude, it could be a success yet! We'll see how it goes sure, but I just don't know how they can give a more realistic portrayal of gangland than Love/Hate.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Thanks to a hilarious previous post by someone on this thread, when I was rewatching the finale the other night and Patrick came on screen, all I could see was this

10284529163_6d9a93a812.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

Hmm... it's TV3 though. Say what you will about RTE, but TV3 is a whole other thing. I can only imagine it'll turn out like Hollyoaks with guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,248 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Ah don't have that attitude, it could be a success yet! We'll see how it goes sure, but I just don't know how they can give a more realistic portrayal of gangland than Love/Hate.

Well, they'll have Paul Connolly to offer his insight I suppose! It could indeed be good, but TV3's own programs tend to be rubbish so I wouldn't bet on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Going by TV3's hard hitting documentaries on Irish society, I can't wait for this.

Watching all five seasons again for the craic ;)

During season 4, who's the lad loitering outside Terry's gaff and creeping him out? Is that ever explained?
    Also, is it ever explained how Moynihan figured out that Martin was a double agent? That scene always seems a bit random to me when I rewatch, almost as if there might have been a deleted scene somewhere that showed the lads monitoring him or something...

Philip 'Chunk' Rodgers. He is one of Nidges heavies. More of a bit part character then a main part. One of those background characters who doesnt get much dialogue.

• Advertisement

Except for of course Darren, although he is out of it now but he was the only one of Nidge's men who actually done target practise before a hit, thats why it phucked up Nidge when he had to take him out, as he was not only a friend but his best hit man ever. Darren would have got Patrick had he been still around.

Bullet proof vest would have been no good on Patrick. Darren would have nailed him on the head first time. Darren was as good a pipebomb maker as Patrick too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Eoin wrote: »

I'd say we'd be less harsh on "Deception".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

So, if you paste a few rumors together, we end up with TV3 offering us a Love/Hate style show focusing on travellers set in Limerick. Or Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭thingamagig

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Thanks to a hilarious previous post by someone on this thread, when I was rewatching the finale the other night and Patrick came on screen, all I could see was this

Omg! Absolutely. The man is so baby faced I can't suspend my disbelief enough to see him as a killer. There are times when he is excellent but the justification he gave before killing yer man (ahem, lot of characters to remember) was weak. That might be the internal dialogue that is going on in a character's mind, but it was in no way realistic to have him voice it. I don't think he is a strong enough character to take over from Nidge. But I like him- as a minor character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I will stake my boards membership on this, there will be no Love/Hate show where Paddy the Pipe Bomb maker is the main character

head shots on a man running away from you? Have you seen the standard of a typical gangland hitman? they're lucky to hit the same county.

Sure what would you do Beano? Stand on your head ;) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Philip 'Chunk' Rodgers. He is one of Nidges heavies. More of a bit part character then a main part. One of those background characters who doesnt get much dialogue.

I caught the name when Terry was entering it into Pulse, after posting that - but does he appear in any of the previous seasons? IMDB alleges that his run in the show was 2011-2012 and that he appeared in two episodes, but I can't for the life of me think of where he shows up in season 3 and I've literally just finished rewatching it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

They managed to hit a cat didn't they?! Patrick is a much bigger target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Yeah but it took about 50 bullets from an automatic, poor Paulie didn't have that luxury

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Looking forward to my big fat gypsie wedding (uncut).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I caught the name when Terry was entering it into Pulse, after posting that - but does he appear in any of the previous seasons? IMDB alleges that his run in the show was 2011-2012 and that he appeared in two episodes, but I can't for the life of me think of where he shows up in season 3 and I've literally just finished rewatching it :D

I am unsure why this Chunk Rogers (a Luke (from season 2) style prowler) was introduced as harassing the garda's family and then he does not feature again. He last appears in season 4's episode 3 where he is beaten up by the cops to provide a bit of action in what was an otherwise quiet dramatic focused buildup episode.

It sort of implied he was working for Nidge with something I recall Nidge saying earlier. The cops were constantly harassing him so Nidge probably organised this guy to get to the cops. It was in the aftermath of the cops (Terry in particular) being around Nidge's clubs.

I would have liked to have seen him again and this is why a 6th series is needed. There are still a lot of storylines to tie up. The pipebombing of Linda's house story was dormant for an entire series of course only to be resurrected in season 4. A series focusing on police brutality may be a risk and that's why the actions of the cops against Rogers (which was as Tony would say a solo run not sanctioned by Moynihan) was not followed up perhaps? A six series WITH NIDGE somehow is what we need. Bring Rogers into it to explain what he was and tie up his relations with the cops somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

:confused: rogers was a nobody, just a peripheral member of nidge's gang. He was sent to intimidate the policeman by watching his house to show they knew where he lived and who his family were. Nothing more nothing less, no great mystery to be cleared up

Likewise with the Linda story line, some things come out in the open, others remain secret for good. Not every storyline needs to be tied up, this masks real life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Dear mr carolan,

please could we have a new series focusing on that bit part extra you used in the 4th serious that never spoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I am unsure why this Chunk Rogers (a Luke (from season 2) style prowler)

That was my first thought actually, although to be fair no character can match the overwhelming creepiness of house-stalking, swan-killing, jacket-stealing Luke :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

That was my first thought actually, although to be fair no character can match the overwhelming creepiness of house-stalking, swan-killing, jacket-stealing Luke :p

That is true. Love/Hate seasons 1 and 2 focused so much on a lot of characters and brought in a lot of different storylines. The Luke story was interesting and he was one of the creepiest and frightening characters. Seasons 1 and 2 was before King Nidge really became the focus. By season 3 onwards, almost everything became focused on Nidge. Chunk Rogers was deploying exactly the same tactics as Luke but was almost definitely working for Nidge to show as another said he knew where the cops lived and knew how to give them a taste of their own medicine (Terry the cop in question had been spying on Nidge's club).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

They managed to hit a cat didn't they?! Patrick is a much bigger target.

you could take out a fly if you fire enough bullets and get lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Putinovsky

Lukas, Nidge's one legged bodyguard, makes a dramatic return and leads a group of vicious Lithuanian criminals with connections to the Russian mafia to the top of the Irish criminal underworld.

The Lithuanian's and Russians try to take over the high level drug dealing in the city leading to confrontation with Terrence 'BIG BALLS'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Love/Hate going French and German :pac:

http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2014/1119/660782-love-hate-to-be-screened-across-europe/
    RTÉ crime drama Love/Hate will be screened across Europe and dubbed into French and German in a new deal with on-demand film and TV service, Netflix.

In a statement, RTÉ said: "Following on from the recent ratings success of the Love/Hate season finale on RTÉ One, RTÉ is delighted to announce that Love/Hate will now be streamed on Netflix in France, Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg."

ITV Studios Global Entertainment on behalf of RTÉ has secured this multi-year subscription video-on-demand deal with Netflix. The deal will result in all five seasons of the drama being dubbed into French and German, a first for the series.

Love/Hate has already been sold to 30 countries, including the UK, Norway, Australia, the Middle East (including over 20 countries from India to Yemen), Singapore, South Korea, Israel, Brazil along with Hulu, Netflix and Amazon in the US.

Speaking about the deal, Jane Gogan, RTÉ’s Head of Television Drama, said: “This is fantastic news for RTÉ and Octagon Films. Our ambition has always been to make good drama for Irish audiences that can work internationally as well.

"After the excellent engagement with the most recent series of Love/Hate it's good to see international audiences looking for the show as well."

Great achievement for such as small broadcaster like RTÉ.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Bullet proof vest would have been no good on Patrick. Darren would have nailed him on the head first time. Darren was as good a pipebomb maker as Patrick too.

Darren failed to nail Darren in season 1 or 2. When Aido was the driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Darren failed to nail Darren in season 1 or 2. When Aido was the driver.

Jeez it's a pretty shyte hitman who can't even get himself.

Advertisement