Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council housing

Options
  • 06-11-2014 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all, I have been on the council waiting list over 4 years now and although I have been ringing them every second day to find out of any updates, one person says my file was reviewed and just waiting on a house to pop up and the next person tells me 4 years is not a long time that I might have to wait another 4! I have seen a house in an area that iv chosen and rang to put my name in for it. All they said was its most likely vacent because it needs work done. It's been vacant for a long time and they don't seem to be even thinking about giving it to someone soon. Has anybody any recommendations on how I can push this further?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

dani7x wrote: »
    Hi all, I have been on the council waiting list over 4 years now and although I have been ringing them every second day to find out of any updates, one person says my file was reviewed and just waiting on a house to pop up and the next person tells me 4 years is not a long time that I might have to wait another 4! I have seen a house in an area that iv chosen and rang to put my name in for it. All they said was its most likely vacent because it needs work done. It's been vacant for a long time and they don't seem to be even thinking about giving it to someone soon. Has anybody any recommendations on how I can push this further?

The average wait for housing is 10-12 years .
    4 years is nothing at this stage all you can do is bide your time and hope something eventually comes up when it's your turn

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dani7x

I'm in Waterford and 4 years is the average waiting time here. the council told me that when I applied. And when I rang today, they said I'm almost at the top of the list because it's been 4 years. So if anyone has any suggestions on how to push for a certain house that's borded up in an area that nobody wants..which I'm willing to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Try your local TD...get him to write them a letter explaining your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

You will be told when something comes up. That's all I can tell you.
    Four years is nothing to wait. It's 10-12 years+ for Dublin.
    Just be patient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

They'll contact you when there's something available for you. 10-12 years sounds about right to me, but then again I'm one of those people who has to buy their own house. Be patient and thankful you're on a list in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

Im in tramore here its 3/4 years and it is about same in Waterford now the councils have amalgamated
    I'd try and see John halligan he helped my friend with the council.
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

I know of someone with 2 kids (1 teen and 1 adult) who was waiting over 20 years on the council list in South Dublin - it was not a good living situation in that time for them - and sadly the mother passed away (just before she was 40) just as the letter had come to say they were accepted for a 2 bed apartment.

The council list is based (I think) on needs. If you already have a roof over your head - you're not anywhere near top priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

SMJSF wrote: »
    I know of someone with 2 kids (1 teen and 1 adult) who was waiting over 20 years on the council list in South Dublin - it was not a good living situation in that time for them - and sadly the mother passed away (just before she was 40) just as the letter had come to say they were accepted for a 2 bed apartment.

The council list is based (I think) on needs. If you already have a roof over your head - you're not anywhere near top priority.

Its also based on the area that you live in different areas have different waiting times, even if the needs are the same, here its around the 4 year mark, whereas the person with the same needs might be 10 years in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They'll contact you when there's something available for you. 10-12 years sounds about right to me, but then again I'm one of those people who has to buy their own house. Be patient and thankful you're on a list in the first place.

Constructive, non-prersonalised, on-topic posts only please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lightenup

dani7x wrote: »

Sometimes they need to be reminded, I know a person in my area (D4) that has a 3 bedroomed wheelchair accessible house for himself and his daughter (in her 20's) but who are able bodied! yet another woman has 4 children in a 2 bedroom flat on the second floor, she has to carry her pram etc up to the second floor every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

lightenup wrote: »
    Sometimes they need to be reminded, I know a person in my area (D4) that has a 3 bedroomed wheelchair accessible house for himself and his daughter (in her 20's) but who are able bodied! yet another woman has 4 children in a 2 bedroom flat on the second floor, she has to carry her pram etc up to the second floor every day.

Seriously, carrying a pram up to the second floor of a flat everyday is not hard work compared to what most people have to do 5 days a week to have a home...

Piriz wrote: »
    Seriously, carrying a pram up to the second floor of a flat everyday is not hard work compared to what most people have to do 5 days a week to have a home...

What do mean by most people?clearly a single mother with 4 children, or a person who is not able bodied would be better suited to a 3 bedroom house, than 2 able bodied people?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

What do mean by most people?clearly a single mother with 4 children, or a person who is not able bodied would be better suited to a 3 bedroom house, than 2 able bodied people?

You know what I mean...

Unfortunately till the current situation is changed that allows in some cases 1/2 adults to hold onto 3,4 and in some 5 beds for life while they where originally housed on there needs ,
    People forget kids grow up and move out ,
    At this stage people housed should have there tenancy reviewed regularly till they no longer need multiple room properties ,
    In the uk when all the private housing associations took over local authorities housing they literally had to knock on thousands of doors to find out if properties were under occupied

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 215 ✭✭ceecee14

You do realise that people with jobs can get council houses too? Anyone can put there name on the council list..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

ceecee14 wrote: »
    You do realise that people with jobs can get council houses too? Anyone can put there name on the council list..

Or be told when they apply for rent allowance that they HAVE to be on the council housing list. Which actually is not true as a kind Welfare Officer informed me. I am happy in rented accommodation and have no desire or need of a council house and I know many others in similar circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,745 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ceecee14 wrote: »

Anyone can try, but only people who have a housing need will be accepted onto the list. That basically means judged as unable to afford to house themselves.

This is checked at the time when people register, and these days again when they're being considered for a house.

But after the house is allocated, people can keep it for life, no matter whether they get a job, or better paying job, or not. Many people who get allocated council houses do more education and end up earning a lot more.

Hi, I am on the waiting list in Fingal and I want a place in my own part of Fingal Dublin 15. I am around number 400 in Blanchardstown as of last January. Does anyone know how much longer I can expect to wait? I will get an updated letter from the council in January telling me where I am on the list but I would love to know how much longer abouts. I.e will it be one year or two or considerably longer?

Probably a lot longer depending on your current situation .
    How long are you currently waiting

If I remember correctly fingal only allocated something like 14 properties last year to tenants

• Registered Users Posts: 25,745 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Basically you're waiting for around 400 council tenants to either die or move somewhere else.

Council tenants don't move often, and you can probably say that ones who do are balanced our by the numbers who will come on to the list with more needs than you.

So to get an estimate:

Find out the number of council houses in the area
    Find out the average annual death rate (will be hard to find out just for council tenants, maybe use the overall one for the country instead)

Multiply the two together:
    eg 2000 houses x 3% death rate = 60 deaths

Divide that by the average number of people living in a council house
    eg 60 / 1.5 = 40
    (totally made up numbers, I have no idea what Ireland death-rate for adults is.)

Then divide your place on the queue by the number of deaths each year
    eg 400 / 40 = 10 years to wait.

Of course this is very rough, and doesn't take account of council tenants having poorer-than-average health so being likely to die younger. Or the fact that you may need a specific type of house (eg 3-bed if you have a few kids). And it can be impacted if there are health-issues in the neighbourhood, eg a bad winter for the 'flu could see a few vacancies open up. Or the fact that not all people living in the house have rights to the tenancy if one person dies (partners do, kids don't).

But it gives you a general idea.

(I know some people will think this is horribly clinical, and that you can't possibly talk about passing like that. Well, sorry to offend you, but you can, and it's what planners have to do. What I've posted is basically what the situation boils down to in many council areas.)

Basically you're waiting for around 400 council tenants to either die or move somewhere else.

Council tenants don't move often, and you can probably say that ones who do are balanced our by the numbers who will come on to the list with more needs than you.

So to get an estimate:

Find out the average annual death rate (will be hard to find out just for council tenants, maybe use the overall one for the country instead)

eg 60 / 1.5 = 40
    (totally made up numbers, I have no idea what Ireland death-rate for adults is.)

Of course this is very rough, and doesn't take account of council tenants having poorer-than-average health so being likely to die younger. Or the fact that you may need a specific type of house (eg 3-bed if you have a few kids). And it can be impacted if there are health-issues in the neighbourhood, eg a bad winter for the 'flu could see a few vacancies open up. Or the fact that not all people living in the house have rights to the tenancy if one person dies (partners do, kids don't).

(I know some people will think this is horribly clinical, and that you can't possibly talk about passing like that. Well, sorry to offend you, but you can, and it's what planners have to do. What I've posted is basically what the situation boils down to in many council areas.)

That's it exactly it sounds cold but If local authorities are giving our 10-12 properties a year and your 400 -600 on the list .
    Two factors matter deaths and evictions .
    or in rare cases voluntary hand backs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭DJP

So to get an estimate:

eg 60 / 1.5 = 40

Gatling wrote: »
    Probably a lot longer depending on your current situation .
    How long are you currently waiting

If I remember correctly fingal only allocated something like 14 properties last year to tenants

Cheers! I will get a letter in January telling me what number I am on the list again. I will find it very interesting to find out! :) I would think that a tiny number of council houses and apartments (I am for a 1 bed apartment) are made available every year but I have gone up the list a lot in the last few years, and given that there are thousands on the list it should be moving faster, otherwise most people will be waiting for 20 plus years to get a place.

Does anybody know what council apartments there are in Blanchardstown. Parnell, Waterville and Avondale, I think (some of these the council own)- are there any other places does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

With 3 child and a baby maybe the council were wondering wheres the father disappeared to. Maybe he should be the one carrying the pram or god forbid housing his children?

doc11 wrote: »
    With 3 child and a baby maybe the council were wondering wheres the father disappeared to. Maybe he should be the one carrying the pram or god forbid housing his children?

I don't think you can house your children or carry a pram when you are deceased.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

10 to 12 years for Dublin? :o
    That is an insane amount of time. A persons life can change so much in those years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

I don't think you can house your children or carry a pram when you are deceased.

So her and her husband and 4 children lived in a 2bed and then he died after the baby was born. That's awful for the poor women.

10 to 12 years for Dublin? :o
    That is an insane amount of time. A persons life can change so much in those years.

One dublin list based off current allocations of less than 10 properties per year it will take 40 years to clear one particular list .

We're 8 years on the sdcc list we've given up seen an apartment before our 2 kids are grown up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Cheers! I will get a letter in January telling me what number I am on the list again. I will find it very interesting to find out! :) I would think that a tiny number of council houses and apartments (I am for a 1 bed apartment) are made available every year but I have gone up the list a lot in the last few years, and given that there are thousands on the list it should be moving faster, otherwise most people will be waiting for 20 plus years to get a place.

Does anybody know what council apartments there are in Blanchardstown. Parnell, Waterville and Avondale, I think (some of these the council own)- are there any other places does anyone know?

Lots of houses in Wellview boarded up atm and being renovated for people to move into. One was given out on Friday (I know the family who got it). There are about 7 more to be handed out over the next few months. Some are refused once or twice before someone takes them (in the case of a four bed it was refused twice before someone finally moved into it).

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭DJP

Thanks. Does anyone know if Fingal Council own a specific estate in Waterville or own apartments across the whole area?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

Don't believe where you're told you are on the list. I did for years, and then one year rang and was told 'oh we don't actually have a list as such'. It's not an honest waiting list, people go to politicians and get skipped up. I waited 10 years and then gave up.

• Advertisement

doc11 wrote: »
    So her and her husband and 4 children lived in a 2bed and then he died after the baby was born. That's awful for the poor women.

She and her husband had 3 children, she found out she was pregnant after he passed away, it's of little consequence the specifics of her situation, the point being that there are two people living in a 3 bedroomed wheelchair accessible house that could be better allocated.

Usually it is done on a points basis, so you would need a certain amount of points to be offered accommodation.

Advertisement