Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council housing

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lightenup

ceecee14 wrote: »
    You do realise that people with jobs can get council houses too? Anyone can put there name on the council list..

yes, apparently on this site if you are in a council house you are seen to be jobless and scamming the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

Jesus 10 years in an awful long time.
    We were about two.
    Hope you get your house soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Thanks. Does anyone know if Fingal Council own a specific estate in Waterville or own apartments across the whole area?

No they certainly don't own a cluster and it's news to me if they own apartments. Definitely not in my cluster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I know of people moved from this estate to Waterville, not sure of exact location of apartment but they're an older couple who's children moved out so they were relocated to a smaller property.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

doc11 wrote: »
    With 3 child and a baby maybe the council were wondering wheres the father disappeared to. Maybe he should be the one carrying the pram or god forbid housing his children?
    lightenup wrote: »
    yes, apparently on this site if you are in a council house you are seen to be jobless and scamming the state.

Can we cut out these type of posts please & thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 lightenup

Can we cut out these type of posts please & thanks
    My apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dani7x

So I was asked to bring in a landlord reference now...am I stupid to think the ball is rolling here??

• Registered Users Posts: 25,688 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No - the ball is rolling. Hopefully it will land up where you want it to. Good luck, I hope you've started to think about how to pay for furniture - and possibly flooring / curtains, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

A close friend is in a similar situ with fingal co co, as in she was asked a month ago to bring in paperwork, and had gotten the impression she was to be offered something, she is 'at the top of the list' (after 10 years) and her ll is selling the house.
    Does one get a grant of any kind when moving into a council house towards white goods or flooring, blinds ,beds etc?
    (In this area they're primarily 3 beds so she's thinking she might be a bit longer waiting for a 2 bed.) Good luck with your house Dani.

From what iv heard, anybody that's claiming social welfare should get the grant for furnishing a council house. The prices are different in every county so I couldn't even give a rough idea. Its all very helpfull anyway no matter how much they give

• Advertisement

You get a grant for flooring, beds and white goods (fridge, cooker and washing machine).

Sofas, wardrobes etc aren't included in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Amelia1402

I have recently been offered council house in Kerry. House is very small and I'm not complaining but I'm wondering would the county council mind if I built on a bit out the back to make kitchen/dining room bigger. Of course this will be out of my own pocket no asking them to pay for anything. Do anyone know if they have heard of people doing this. We have 3 kids and a dig and house is going to be very cramped.
    I'm not in a position to buy it off the council buy I would love to in the future if I got the house to the standard I wanted.

Amelia1402 wrote: »
    I have recently been offered council house in Kerry. House is very small and I'm not complaining but I'm wondering would the county council mind if I built on a bit out the back to make kitchen/dining room bigger. Of course this will be out of my own pocket no asking them to pay for anything. Do anyone know if they have heard of people doing this. We have 3 kids and a dig and house is going to be very cramped.
    I'm not in a position to buy it off the council buy I would love to in the future if I got the house to the standard I wanted.

I think you have so much of an area that you are aloud to build on. But it's quite small, you should ring the council and enquire

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Heard of a county councillor doing this in bray and was being evicted for it. It's not your house in theory and I would expect that it may never come up for sale as this is the kinda thing that created a supply issue in Dublin.

I would check with them before doing anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Calhoun wrote: »
    Heard of a county councillor doing this in bray and was being evicted for it. It's not your house in theory and I would expect that it may never come up for sale as this is the kinda thing that created a supply issue in Dublin.

I would check with them before doing anything.

He hasn't yet been evicted. They are going through the courts with it. And he didn't build an extension, he did up the attic if I remember correctly. But I do agree that it is unlikely to be allowed by the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

hdowney wrote: »
    He hasn't yet been evicted. They are going through the courts with it. And he didn't build an extension, he did up the attic if I remember correctly. But I do agree that it is unlikely to be allowed by the council.

Indeed, i didnt know the full ins and outs of his case but it was very high profile.

I wouldnt do anything if i had a council house without running it by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,688 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you want to make any structural change to a rental property, council or otherwise, you need to get permission from the owner. Councils won't necessarily say no, provided that what you are proposing is structurally sound, and you have the work done by registered, insured tradespeople.

The method for asking for permission will be covered in the sign-up process.

Kitchens are expensive things, so you may find people saying "how come he's getting a council house if he can afford to be doing that" - but I'm sure that the council checked your income before offering it to you.

Oh - and the tenant purchase scheme is currently suspended, as far as I know. Many people believe it should not have existed in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Kelly06

Do not alter a council house without first getting permission from the councils housing department. This permission will be signed off by the architects dept. the council house is your home but it does not belong to you, you have no right to alter it structurally whatsoever without the express permission of the council!

You say you want to buy it someday when you get it into good shape well..., the better condition it is in the more you will pay for it so your house with your extension built will be more expensive for you to purchase! The old tenant purchase scheme is now gone and a fairer system will be introduced.., it's thought that the new scheme will operate the more you earn the more you will pay for your house and you will have to pay clawback on the profit of a resale within twenty years. Thing is if you alter the house without permission you could find yourself not being allowed to buy it from the council.!

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭DJP

I'd love to know the places the council has in Blanchardstown or Dublin 15 generally. Because I am not going to take a place in most of the places I hear the council does have apartments in in the area. I would rather continue renting getting Rent Supplement and share with others.

• Advertisement

A few houses in Wellview from what I hear. A close friend is 'top of the list' and her situation got worse this week with her house going sale agreed. She is not keen on Wellview either, but would happily accept anywhere else. Just to ad I know there are decent people in Wellview, its the minority that give it a bad name.
    Is it just yourself or do you have a family? I believe there is very low stock of 1 bed units, these usually go to pensioners and there is a massive wait list there too.
    There are several council houses in various states of repair in the D 15 area for 70-130k for sale on Daft. I'm sure I saw one for 50k in Wellview too, I don't understand why the council doesn't buy them back, never should have sold them off in the first place.
    Unless you're waiting about 8 years, I wouldn't worry about being offered anywhere soon anyway.

I am on DA and have gone up the list a lot in the last three years (I am on it just over four years) and if I have gone up the list in the last year (I will get a letter in January telling me where on the list I am now) as I have in the last three or four years then I should get a place within the next year. Again though I am not living in some kip or beside some kip!

I am on DA and have gone up the list a lot in the last three years (I am on it just over four years) and if I have gone up the list in the last year (I will get a letter in January telling me where on the list I am now) as I have in the last three or four years then I should get a place within the next year. Again though I am not living in some kip or beside some kip!

I find your attitude a bit off, if you think Dublin 15 is full of kips then why don't you apply somewhere else that's up to your standard of living?

I live in Dublin 15. I do not think that Dublin 15 or any region of Ireland is "full of kips" and find your attitude childish.

zef wrote: »
    A few houses in Wellview from what I hear. A close friend is 'top of the list' and her situation got worse this week with her house going sale agreed. She is not keen on Wellview either, but would happily accept anywhere else. Just to ad I know there are decent people in Wellview, its the minority that give it a bad name.
    Is it just yourself or do you have a family? I believe there is very low stock of 1 bed units, these usually go to pensioners and there is a massive wait list there too.
    There are several council houses in various states of repair in the D 15 area for 70-130k for sale on Daft. I'm sure I saw one for 50k in Wellview too, I don't understand why the council doesn't buy them back, never should have sold them off in the first place.
    Unless you're waiting about 8 years, I wouldn't worry about being offered anywhere soon anyway.

One of the houses in Wellview was allocated last week. They stayed in it for a night and moved back out.

Before anyone asks, I live across the road and watched them move in and back out. Nothing happened overnight. Wellview is not a bad place to live, I stress that, I wouldn't be bringing up my family here if it was. It had a bad rep years ago but it is unwarranted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Absolutely ridiculous situation's allowed to happen I wish councils would clamp down on this crap .
    Reduce offers to one single offer refusals should be discharged from the housing lists .
    Homelessness at its worse and 10+ year waits and still there are a bunch of ungrateful people out there who waste opportunities to be housed

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Th3B1tcH

On the list over 14years (on DA also) and havnt been offered anything yet single person got no chance in Dublin

Advertisement