Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

RainyDay wrote: »
    I cycle most of the time, and I get very frustrated when I see cyclists doing this crap too.

But remember, every Garda hour spent chasing cyclists is an hour not spent reducing the 200+ deaths and thousands of injuries caused by motorists on the road each year. Be careful what you wish for.

There has to be cyclists injured due to their own stupidity. It's not possible to cycle like some people do in Dublin and there not be injuries and fatalities.
    Tragedy wrote: »
    There is no evidence that Garda 'enforcement' has any positive effect on road injuries/deaths.

I'd much rather speed vans (as that's all Garda enforcement ever amounted to) at known accident black spots and Gardaí get back to actual policing.

Traffic enforcement IMHO should be privatised. A private company would have a camera on every traffic light and a speed camera on every road. The only way to avoid a fine would be to drive within the rules and laws of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Traffic enforcement IMHO should be privatised. A private company would have a camera on every traffic light and a speed camera on every road. The only way to avoid a fine would be to drive within the rules and laws of the road.
    Why stop at every traffic light? We should have cameras in every home. Most homicides take places in a home, as do most rapes. We can tender this to a private company and they can have a camera in every room of every house. If you're not breaking the law, you shouldn't have an issue with it. Right?

Right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

There has to be cyclists injured due to their own stupidity. It's not possible to cycle like some people do in Dublin and there not be injuries and fatalities.
    The number of cyclist fatalities is very low. Anecdotally, most relate to cyclists being caught under trucks, usually when trucks are turning left. I've never heard of a cyclist fatality relating to breaking red lights.

I'm sure there are some cases of cyclist injury due to such actions, but they seem to be fairly low on the overall scheme of things. Meanwhile, 200+ people are killed by motorists each year, and thousands of others maimed. So where do you want to prioritise your resources?

Tragedy wrote: »
    Why stop at every traffic light? We should have cameras in every home. Most homicides take places in a home, as do most rapes. We can tender this to a private company and they can have a camera in every room of every house. If you're not breaking the law, you shouldn't have an issue with it. Right?

Right.

If you want to install CCTV in your home you're welcome to do so and many people do. Within the home you have a reasonable expectation of privacy - not so on the roads. That's my polite reply my not so polite reply is; if you're going to engage in hyperbole at least try and make it relate to the matter at hand.

The number of cyclist fatalities is very low. Anecdotally, most relate to cyclists being caught under trucks, usually when trucks are turning left. I've never heard of a cyclist fatality relating to breaking red lights.

I'm sure there are some cases of cyclist injury due to such actions, but they seem to be fairly low on the overall scheme of things. Meanwhile, 200+ people are killed by motorists each year, and thousands of others maimed. So where do you want to prioritise your resources?

By your logic - smoking and fatty foods.

Your argument is a spurious one. The guards need to enforce the correct road usage by all parties. That's motorists, pedestrians and cyclists. It doesn't simply come down to fatalities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

/gazes wistfully around

I remember when all this was videos

josip wrote: »
    Not insignificant, but very low compared to the 200+ people killed each year by motorists - so where do you want to prioritise your resources? And like I said, there is no suggestion that any of those deaths result from errors by cyclists.
    Formal research from the UK about the causes of incidents where cyclists were injured put the blame firmly on motorists in the majority of cases.
    josip wrote: »
    Who else will be doing the killing apart from motorists?
    Yes, we agree on this one.

By your logic - smoking and fatty foods.

Your argument is a spurious one. The guards need to enforce the correct road usage by all parties. That's motorists, pedestrians and cyclists. It doesn't simply come down to fatalities.

It comes down to priorities. Where do you want to focus your resources - on saving lives or avoiding annoyance?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Wossack wrote: »
    /gazes wistfully around

I remember when all this was videos

Best I could do at short notice

It comes down to priorities. Where do you want to focus your resources - on saving lives or avoiding annoyance?

You are again making the assumption that enforcement = lives saved. If we make the resources argument then why are we spending money on cycle lanes - clearly they're not needed.

It's not an annoyance to the innocent motorist that goes through a green light after checking the way is clear, even waiting for pedestrians as in the above clip and ends up with a cyclist plastered over their front windscreen. That person has to live with that for the rest of their lives.

Furthermore for all the 'Irish Driving' slagging off - its amazing to me more people aren't killed. It's not the cyclists protecting themselves it's them relying on drivers to avoid them which, statistically, they do for the most part. Noting of course we're talking about fatalities here and not what the cost is to the health service in injuries due to negligent cyclists. The problem with that is that it's clearly generating a culture of contempt amongst cyclists in relation to the dangers of the roads which will only have knock on effect in injuries and deaths.

EDIT: STARTED NEW THREAD - SORRY FOR DERAILMENT - ALSO PLEASE CORRECT IF YOU FEEL MISREPED IN OTHER THREAD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

not sure its posted before? tis not I, and apologies for the language :p

Not sure what was bluer, the air round that driver or the lights on the cop car :D

You are again making the assumption that enforcement = lives saved. If we make the resources argument then why are we spending money on cycle lanes - clearly they're not needed.

You said "The guards need to enforce the correct road usage by all parties." That requires resources - either existing Garda resources or extra Garda resources. One way or other, it involves some Gardai spending time stopping cyclists who break red lights (including the majority of cyclists who break red lights while looking out for the own safety, and the minority of cyclists who break red lights recklessly) and Gardai spending time stopping cyclists who don't have bells on their bikes and Gardai spending time stopping jaywalking pedestrians. Every hour spent on these activities in an hour not spent on motorists who kill 200+ people each year on the roads and maim thousands of others.

It's not an annoyance to the innocent motorist that goes through a green light after checking the way is clear, even waiting for pedestrians as in the above clip and ends up with a cyclist plastered over their front windscreen. That person has to live with that for the rest of their lives.
    Yes, that theoretical situation would be very difficult for the driver to live with. As a fairly keen observer of cycle safety matters, I'm fairly sure that the theoretical situation that you outline hasn't happened in living memory here in Ireland.

So again, do you want to focus your resources on dealing with your theoretical risk, or on dealing with the 200+ people killed each year by motorists and the thousands maimed.
    Furthermore for all the 'Irish Driving' slagging off - its amazing to me more people aren't killed. It's not the cyclists protecting themselves it's them relying on drivers to avoid them which, statistically, they do for the most part. Noting of course we're talking about fatalities here and not what the cost is to the health service in injuries due to negligent cyclists. The problem with that is that it's clearly generating a culture of contempt amongst cyclists in relation to the dangers of the roads which will only have knock on effect in injuries and deaths.
    Yes, there is a culture issue, and I'd love to see it addressed and fixed. I'd love to see improvements in the standard of cycling for lots of reasons.

The fact remains that if you want the Gardai to address this issue, they will be diverted from other activities such as the, well, you know yourself by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,572 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...] apologies for the language :p

No apologies necessary. It was really appropriate language in that situation. :D

Addressed in other thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

huggs2 wrote: »
    This guy was lucky this time.

Looks like you need to get your headlight alignment checked out or you had the old foggers on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Clip 1. Merc is not even in the picture when our lights turn green - note the pedestrians crossing and their green man.

Clip 2. Car in the third lane still goes through the red.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Enjoyed that..both picture and the very eloquent commentary :).
    Not enough of them bollixes gettin caught.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Please tell me that's a joke :(

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

Another close one from this afternoon. ( must put that clock back an hour :o )
    White van goes through red light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

Brilliant, just brilliant - probs top of my all time dash cam list :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

The swearing just would not work with any other accent anywhere in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

On the drive home this evening.....

......a potential entrant for this year's Darwin Awards - to get an idea of how far out n the road she was walking checking where I had to drive in relation to the centre white line......

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Sherfin

First attempt to upload video, so hopefully this works.

On the way to work this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Jawgap wrote: »
    On the drive home this evening.....

......a potential entrant for this year's Darwin Awards - to get an idea of how far out n the road she was walking checking where I had to drive in relation to the centre white line......

Eh I think that's a ghost.
    I'm outa here :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Sherfin wrote: »

Harmless enough. Big wide straight road and looks like he started to pass before little old yaris indicated. If I had a euro for everytime I seen a slow yaris causing mayhem I'd be a rich man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

It works grand :)
    That had the potential to be a very serious incident!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Balrath Cross? Beside ballymagarvey? Live about 30 seconds from there! Dangerous enough bend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

What's even better is the lane hogger tried a brake check and wouldn't have been pulled over if they just moved left.

Surprised there's not a solid white on your side before that junction for that reason alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

gutteruu wrote: »
    Harmless enough. Big wide straight road and looks like he started to pass before little old yaris indicated. If I had a euro for everytime I seen a slow yaris causing mayhem I'd be a rich man.

Have to disagree. He passed the yaris five seconds after it indicated. Either his pass shouldnt take that long or he should be observing better and braking. Poor enough driving IMO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement