Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

cormie wrote: »
    It's an Astra G van 1.7DT MK4 in that video :)

Still learning :) Should have put some kind of audio on the silent parts, I even still feel like checking is my volume up if I watch it again and would have liked to have put this with Navi appearing when it says listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6Zq9OJr0xM :pac:
    May I ask what you use to edit the video?

Apologies if this has been asked, and answered, previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

I'd like to know how you edited it as well.

Heres one from just minutes ago.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'd like to know how you edited it as well.

Heres one from just minutes ago.

Took me 3 watches to find the old lady(?) on the right after the bus. Shocking evening out there. Got home safe myself, without incident, but be careful out there folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Took me 3 watches to find the old lady(?) on the right after the bus. Shocking evening out there. Got home safe myself, without incident, but be careful out there folks.

Not a little old lady. Unless she's wearing a hoodie and trackie bottoms, as well as sporting crutches. :)

Obviously a busy enough route for buses, and as always in such situations I wonder where the pedestrian crossings are.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

To those asking, the video editing software is Sony Vegas. I just go to youtube and search for what I want to do and there's usually a video tutorial :)

• Advertisement

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Not a little old lady. Unless she's wearing a hoodie and trackie bottoms, as well as sporting crutches. :)

Obviously a busy enough route for buses, and as always in such situations I wonder where the pedestrian crossings are.

Clip was captured outside the Mater hospital on the North Circular Road.
    The pedestrian crossing is at the point where I pass the bus, the lights are visible. I think theres another crossing just up the street.

I reckon she went across to the shop to buy some cigarettes.
    She was stopped there in the middle of the road with her hood up and staring across the road with head tilted down a bit. She probably didn't see me until I drove past, which makes two of us.

You might notice in the clip that she is all but invisible when aligned with the phone box on the right side of the street as she is standing absolutely still and is similar colour to it so she blends into the background. Partly explains why I didn't see her until the moment she comes out of its shadow if you know what I mean.
    I reckon it would be a good scenario for one of those thermal cameras that you can get fitted to the latest top of the range german cars.

The other thing I was watching was the car in front of the bus in case it would pull out.

Used to think this was a gimmick, but I think I'd like it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Ah jesus christ. I can't see how that is ecen noteworthy. The whole of Ireland feckin saunter across busy roads at all hours and she was not near getting in front of you, obviously waiting for traffic to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

So cyclist goes through junction as my light goes green, and then pulls out in front of me round the corner(with a 'slight' hand single)..
    Look closely

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Ah jesus christ. I can't see how that is ecen noteworthy. The whole of Ireland feckin saunter across busy roads at all hours and she was not near getting in front of you, obviously waiting for traffic to pass.

She was a sitting duck.
    Nice place to be waiting for traffic to pass on a wet dark night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

This morning - making a left turn from a minor to a fairly busy major road. The guy in the white van behind decides to try and 'undertake' on the left turn!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Jawgap wrote: »
    This morning - making a left turn from a minor to a fairly busy major road. The guy in the white van behind decides to try and 'undertake' on the left turn!

Wow, you left him nowhere to go. Fair play, he was a cheeky prick.

ken wrote: »
    Wow, you left him nowhere to go. Fair play, he was a cheeky prick.

To be honest he left himself nowhere to go :D

The road runs out and there's no hard shoulder and I'd already started to accelerate out of the turn when I realised he was there. I thought it was a bit of a dumb move so I wasn't inclined to extend any courtesy to him.

Further on he tried to overtake on double white lines a move he had to abort because of traffic calming islands - he was obviously in a hurry to get to the back of the traffic ahead of us!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭josip

Do some people at that junction use the hard shoulder as a merging lane to make it easier to get out into the flow of traffic, even though there's a stop sign?

josip wrote: »
    Do some people at that junction use the hard shoulder as a merging lane to make it easier to get out into the flow of traffic, even though there's a stop sign?

Here's the junction in daylight

Even if they do (and I have used the bit of road to merge)......and even if there was no 'stop' sign........undertaking a left turning car on a wet dark morning is silly at best and plain dangerous at worst. Plus, it's not like I stopped for the sake of it - as you can see there was traffic on the main road.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭josip

Even if they do (and I have used the bit of road to merge)......and even if there was no 'stop' sign........undertaking a left turning car on a wet dark morning is silly at best and plain dangerous at worst. Plus, it's not like I stopped for the sake of it - as you can see there was traffic on the main road.

Agree completely with you, I strongly dislike the "my time is more important than your time" drivers. There seem to be more and more of them on the roads.
    I was just wondering if that was the first time someone had tried that move there.

josip wrote: »
    Agree completely with you, I strongly dislike the "my time is more important than your time" drivers. There seem to be more and more of them on the roads.
    I was just wondering if that was the first time someone had tried that move there.

First time I've been undertaken there, but yes people do use the bit of road to filter into the traffic sometimes.

I think I know the van in question (didn't get a chance to clock the reg to confirm it) and it is someone I've seen do some pretty silly stuff in terms of overtaking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

To be honest he left himself nowhere to go :D
    The road runs out and there's no hard shoulder and I'd already started to accelerate out of the turn when I realised he was there. I thought it was a bit of a dumb move so I wasn't inclined to extend any courtesy to him.Further on he tried to overtake on double white lines a move he had to abort because of traffic calming islands - he was obviously in a hurry to get to the back of the traffic ahead of us!

That's the funny thing. These lads are darting past people, accelerating and braking hard, driving up people's backsides and a few hundred yards down the road they're backed up with everyone else. Pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Jesus. wrote: »
    That's the funny thing. These lads are darting past people, accelerating and braking hard, driving up people's backsides and a few hundred yards down the road they're backed up with everyone else. Pointless.

Some people think they have discovered the 'secret' to beating traffic by undertaking, etc.

There is no secret, we're all in the same boat and you'll save yourself AT MOST 5 minutes if it's a good length journey. See it everyday with people undertaking in bus lanes only to meet them further up the road.

I get great enjoyment when they box themselves into a lane that's moving slow and lose the ground they fought so hard to make up.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,722 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Sorry for the length of this video, need to get on the cormie train with the video editing software. You can see the cyclist nearly getting taken out of the game twice - firstly by the Merc then by the Mazda. The Mazda was behind me and seemed to get in a rage when I let the Ford out of the garage on the left, so he moved into the right turn only lane and carried straight through the junction. Got a fair old pelt of the horn for that. Near the end of the video at 4:30 or so, you see the same Mazda go through a red onto the N11. Seriously aggro driving from him.

Edit: also, apologies for the poor video and sound quality. I got my dash cam from a Chinese taxi driver for next to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

You can do most basic functions pretty easily in Windows Movie Maker. It's free and pretty intuitive.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ie/windows-live/movie-maker

Just click off the rest of the stuff in the setup if you only want movie maker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

This guy was lucky this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Bloody lucky WVM was on his phone and not looking at the lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

Bloody luck WVM was on his phone and not looking at the lights.
    That's a bit harsh. Looks like he was waiting for the pedestrians to finish strolling across the road.

Gosub wrote: »
    That's a bit harsh. Looks like he was waiting for the pedestrians to finish strolling across the road.

Nah, not a chance - he's have inched forward if he'd seen the lights change. Either that or it was a WVW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

huggs2 wrote: »
    This guy was lucky this time.

It should be legal to run over cyclists who do that.

FYP :pac: On a serious note it's about time the guards started doing something about idiot cyclists. I was on my way home at rush hour last night along Baggot Street and people were just being complete dicks. I was very surprised how patient drivers were being.

That and people that cross on the quays against the traffic turning in from the left and hold everything up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

FYP :pac: On a serious note it's about time the guards started doing something about idiot cyclists. I was on my way home at rush hour last night along Baggot Street and people were just being complete dicks. I was very surprised how patient drivers were being.

That and people that cross on the quays against the traffic turning in from the left and hold everything up.

I cycle most of the time, and I get very frustrated when I see cyclists doing this crap too.

But remember, every Garda hour spent chasing cyclists is an hour not spent reducing the 200+ deaths and thousands of injuries caused by motorists on the road each year. Be careful what you wish for.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Well, in many countries in EU it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

RainyDay wrote: »
    But remember, every Garda hour spent chasing cyclists is an hour not spent reducing the 200+ deaths and thousands of injuries caused by motorists on the road each year. Be careful what you wish for.

There is no evidence that Garda 'enforcement' has any positive effect on road injuries/deaths.

I'd much rather speed vans (as that's all Garda enforcement ever amounted to) at known accident black spots and Gardaí get back to actual policing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Looks like fairly badly designed junction.
    You are obliged to keep left when intending to turn left, so in theory there shouldn't be any space for van to undertake you.
    But unfortunately to keep left there on this junction, you would need to be at big angle towards main road which would limit your visibility - so that's why it's no good.

BTW - are you sure you had you indicator on?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement