Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TR072 Pharmacy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I have Dr. John Walsh as a Tutor. Any opinions on what he's like?

My favourite lecturer in the school, didn't realise it until 4th year when I somehow was assigned his project (you do a research project in 4th year, why I was assigned him is a different story) but I wish I'd appreciated him more in my first two years. He is so approachable and helpful, although he does make you work
    In my opinion his method of teaching is the best of any of the lecturers, again I didn't appreciate it as much as I should in first and second.

Hmmm, not sure how I should interpret this...
    My favourite lecturer in the school, didn't realise it until 4th year when I somehow was assigned his project (you do a research project in 4th year, why I was assigned him is a different story) but I wish I'd appreciated him more in my first two years. He is so approachable and helpful, although he does make you work
    In my opinion his method of teaching is the best of any of the lecturers, again I didn't appreciate it as much as I should in first and second.

Nah if I'm being serious I would agree with quadrifoglio to be honest :) I absolutely love him. There is no doubt that he will make you work but I did like his material and he lectures in one of my favourite modules. I suppose he's not very well liked because he doesn't let people just slack and do nothing but he is a great lecturer and very approachable if you show a genuine interest to learn his material. One of the only lecturers I've noticed that actually bothers to try and learn names :D
    He's one of my references on my CV now too (and he's not even my tutor) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭BlutendeRabe

reichstag_468x329.jpg

Out of here with a 2:1. Thank christ.

Thanks to the following: [names snipped at author request].

Had a bit about people who pissed me off throughout the years but I'm going to omit it since I'm in such a jovial mood.

This is BlutendeRabe aka [names snipped at author request] aka Juan Ximinez de Zumalacárregui; the white knight of the far right, the foul owl with the death growl (ok I'm ripping off James Ellory with this), purveyor of obscure and semi-illicit docuements, irridentist secular republican, supporter of Vladimir Putin, reader of subversive literature, film buff; finally able to unfollow this thread.

Sayanora

PS Yeah I know this is the boards.ie equivalent of Gwenth Paltrow's oscar speech. So what? Im finally out of here.
    PPS I've had a pack of cigarettes, 8 nespressos, a quarter of baileys & a ****load of wine. Again so what.
    PPPS Anyone want my 4th year sample essays? Im cleaning out my locker either Saturday or Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I have Dr. John Walsh as a Tutor. Any opinions on what he's like?
    He's great. Approachable, helpful and sympathetic when anyone comes to him with a problem.

As a lecturer, he will keep you on your toes though. More than any other lecturer you need to know your stuff. Which, though it never seems it at the time, is actually very helpful when it comes to exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Farrem18

The elective is, as Dr Henman says, just to give you a taste of whats its like. Its not a prerequisite for entering a specific area of pharmacy. One girl I know, did the industry elective solely because the exam question was easier to answer. If you want to go into Hospital you need to get a work placement in the summer after 3rd year.

Do not worry about it at this stage. You've to get to grips with 1st year and survive Dr Totenkopf.
    Thank you very much for your help :)

• Advertisement

What is Andrew Harkin like? He is my tutor :)

Farrem18 wrote: »

I've not met him yet because he doesn't actually give any lectures in first year but he's gonna do some of my lectures now in 2nd (quite a lot if I remember correctly.)

Very serious, decent lecturer, hard marker and an ok tutor. He's a neuropharmacologist so you only see him in 2nd and 4th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Throwaway25

Thanks for the info guys.

Has anyone seen this in the new handbook?

"In calculating the final degree mark the following proportions will be observed:
    35% of the final mark will be awarded will be based on the overall mark in the JS year
    65% of the final mark will be awarded will be based on the overall mark in the SS year "

"In calculating the final degree mark the following proportions will be observed:
    35% of the final mark will be awarded will be based on the overall mark in the JS year
    65% of the final mark will be awarded will be based on the overall mark in the SS year "
    Your lucky for me it was 50 for final, 25 for js, 15 for sf and 10 for Jf.
    That screwed over a good few in our year

• Advertisement

They've been talking about for a few years. It's all part of some harmonisation project around Trinity. Not a change for the better if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

Does this apply for new incoming 1st years or also to current 4th/3rd/2nd year students?

They've been talking about for a few years. It's all part of some harmonisation project around Trinity. Not a change for the better if you ask me.

I think it is, but then my degree would be higher this way...

ahmdoda wrote: »
    Does this apply for new incoming 1st years or also to current 4th/3rd/2nd year students?
    Only for incoming first years. I think they checked with the college and there were some issues with applying it retrospectively.

I quite like the weightings of the years with respect to the overall degree as they are. There are so many people wanting to 'just pass' in first year since it doesn't contribute to their degree whereas I felt like I should at least try a little bit to do as well as I could since it would count (albeit such a small amount)

So does that mean 1st and 2nd year dont affect your final grade in 4th year whatsoever? All you need to do is scrape a pass in the 1st 2 years?!

So does that mean 1st and 2nd year dont affect your final grade in 4th year whatsoever? All you need to do is scrape a pass in the 1st 2 years?!
    For the new JF class and onwards, yeah. For the year after with the new 5 year programme, it's anyone's guess how that'll work.

Though... if you're scraping passes in 1st and 2nd year, you're not going to find 3rd and 4th much easier! Some modules though like PH1005 though you can safely coast through without a care. A fair bit of first year ends up being relevant in third year which is surprising.

For the new JF class and onwards, yeah. For the year after with the new 5 year programme, it's anyone's guess how that'll work.

Though... if you're scraping passes in 1st and 2nd year, you're not going to find 3rd and 4th much easier! Some modules though like PH1005 though you can safely coast through without a care. A fair bit of first year ends up being relevant in third year which is surprising.
    Im a part of the new JF class haha! Hmm i think i would prefer 1st and 2nd year to count for something.. In my opinion it would give you more of a push to do well!

Im a part of the new JF class haha! Hmm i think i would prefer 1st and 2nd year to count for something.. In my opinion it would give you more of a push to do well!
    If you want something to work for, do schols in second year! Worth it if you can get it but considering you haven't even had your first Fresher's week let alone lecture yet, it may be a bit premature for you to even hear about schols :p

Not having 1st/2nd year count will take a good bit of pressure off anyway so it's not that bad. Especially when it comes to things like the pharmaceutics practical exams and PH2003 that bring a lot of people down.

If you want something to work for, do schols in second year! Worth it if you can get it but considering you haven't even had your first Fresher's week let alone lecture yet, it may be a bit premature for you to even hear about schols :p

Not having 1st/2nd year count will take a good bit of pressure off anyway so it's not that bad. Especially when it comes to things like the pharmaceutics practical exams and PH2003 that bring a lot of people down.

My PH1004 written exam brought me down :pac: I can imagine 2003 is going to be horrible. I'm dreading Fabio's stuff but I think Sasse's will be okay (famous last words :P )

• Advertisement

I suppose theres pros and cons to everything! Are you finished your degree? You are like a pharmacy pro haha

I suppose theres pros and cons to everything! Are you finished your degree? You are like a pharmacy pro haha
    No, a fourth year who happens to know too much! :p

quadrifoglio and BlutendeRabe are the only two active posters who are finished and graduating.

Anyone here who sat Schols in 11/12? Yee had the same Disease for P3 as we do (Seasonal Influenza + Vaccination). Was wondering how you went about it.

Anyone here who sat Schols in 11/12? Yee had the same Disease for P3 as we do (Seasonal Influenza + Vaccination). Was wondering how you went about it.

There were no schols awarded that year in pharmacy....so not good :pac:
    One of my friends might have some info though so ill ask him

• Registered Users Posts: 1 enumi

Hi everyone,
    I’m so glad I found this thread, maybe someone will be able to help me answering some of the questions I have. I would like to apply to Pharmacy graduate programme when I finish my current degree as I currently dislike it… a lot. I’m doing general nursing but I always had interest in chemistry and biology and I suppose few years back I wasn’t sure what I was doing when I was filling my CAO. Anyway I would like to do pharmacy as soon as I finish my current degree. I haven’t done chemistry or maths in a while now but I did Higher level in both for LC but got C3 in HL chemistry. I’m currently looking over maths course for science degree just to refresh some of my memories.

I have completely forgotten everything from leaving cert chemistry. And I’m just a bit worried it would be too difficult to do pharmacy degree with little or no basic information. Do you think I have a chance to do well if I study hard? Could anyone recommend a book or maybe a night course (? If there is something like that available) so I could refresh my memory and somehow prepare myself for all the chemistry being thought in the pharmacy degree.
    I would also have more interest in community pharmacy. I have read through this thread that people say that RCSI is better if you are more interested in that area. Is that true? Or is the course pretty much the same no matter where you do it?
    Also is the course 5 years long now and you finish with MPharm or is it still 4 years and you can choose do to the extra year, does anyone know how it works ? I would really appreciate your help ! :)

You'll be starting next year with the integrated 5 year programme, all in Trinity with experience starting in 3rd year.

Unless you've forgotten the fundamentals, you should be fine without any refresher courses. LC Chemistry and the chemistry you'll do in Pharmacy are really two completely different animals. If you had time to kill and wanted a book to read, Hart and Craine's Organic Chemistry is a nice and gentle intro to organic chemistry. It's not crucial though, tbh, it's not even crucial studying for first year...

I'm dreading Fabio's stuff

You're in second year now? Yeah that was horrible. His lectures are worth going to, simply for the off-topic chat. Anything important is in his slides. Anything really important has no words attached :P

You're in second year now? Yeah that was horrible. His lectures are worth going to, simply for the off-topic chat. Anything important is in his slides. Anything really important has no words attached :P

"I don't want you learning chunks of text out of the Pharmacopoeia"
    *All lecture slides are chunks out of the pharmacopoeia*

Plus I don't find him nice or helpful at all. Was completely dismissive of me in labs last week and didn't help me when I asked him to.

• Advertisement

"I don't want you learning chunks of text out of the Pharmacopoeia"
    *All lecture slides are chunks out of the pharmacopoeia*

Plus I don't find him nice or helpful at all. Was completely dismissive of me in labs last week and didn't help me when I asked him to.

I never had that with him I must say. For the pharmacopoeia, what he told us was to know how to do the tests and one or two samples. So know how to do loss on drying, total ash, volatile liquids etc and give one or two examples for each.
    You don't need to know, well we didn't ever last thing about tests and limits for whatever plants he's chosen

Advertisement