Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TR072 Pharmacy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 katie44

Hi there,

Interested in doing Pharmacy this year, was just wondering if 565*/565 points for TCD/UCC based on first round offers or did these points drop for the 2nd round, does anyone have any idea?. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Sheep95

Just after accepting my place! Any advice anyone? And do you think accommodation is nesessary? I live in naas in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Sheep95 wrote: »
    Just after accepting my place! Any advice anyone? And do you think accommodation is nesessary? I live in naas in Kildare

First of all congratulations, 4 years of hard work are ahead of you (I'm serious).
    With that in mind, go on to budget travel and see if they've any cheap last minute deals and book yourself a holiday. You'll be greatful of it in November.
    Don't be scared ****less in your first quigley lecture, thinking you know nothing.....no one understands it!!!

I commuted from celbridge everyday, a lad in my year from naas moved out. It's commutable, your in Heuston within half an hour on the train, then a quick bus ride up the quays (about 10 mins on the 145). My brother on the other hand moved out to go to pats last year....needless to say he's moving back for second year.

It all depends on your financial situation, rents in dublin are a lot higher now than they were in 2010 and also how much you value having a home cooked meal every night! :p
    While I was jealous of friends living in town, they were jealous of me getting a proper dinner etc when I went home each night.

Going out wise it may hamper you for the first few weeks, but after that, you're fine. The course is so close knit, which Is understandable as you're in lectures with the same group each day. If you wanted to go out, there was always a chair for you to crash on.

Thanks for the reply! I'd be able to afford the accommodation, all my family is on to me to stay. Haha and I cooked most of our meals so it won't be any different! Is it hard to get a job in town? For weekend work?
    I'm dying to get started, no idea when it starts though, any ideas?

Jobs are there if you look for them, however, with the intensity of the course, you may not want to look for one!
    With regards to when it starts, week 5 is the first week of lectures so that'll be the 22nd I'm guessing with dredgers week the week before

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply! I'd be able to afford the accommodation, all my family is on to me to stay. Haha and I cooked most of our meals so it won't be any different! Is it hard to get a job in town? For weekend work?
    I'm dying to get started, no idea when it starts though, any ideas?

Pretty sure it'll be 22nd for 1st day of lectures as we started on the 23rd last year. Fresher's Week will be the week before and it'll be so much fun. Enjoy it because a 9am start every day will get tiring!

Regarding advice;
    1. Go to physiology lectures!
    2. Biochemistry makes no sense to anyone so don't freak out.
    3. Biology is the most pointless module ever but easy to do well in.
    4. Quigley is your new best friend.

Cheers for the replies! Haha I was reading through the old posts where you all started and it seems tough, and this quigley guy? Can't wait to see him in action! Anyone else starting too?

Cheers for the replies! Haha I was reading through the old posts where you all started and it seems tough, and this quigley guy? Can't wait to see him in action! Anyone else starting too?

Well I just finished 1st year (JF) so if you need any help I'll have notes to send on :D I didn't find it as tough as I thought I would to be fair but I would have found it a lot easier if I didn't wait to study until the last 3 weeks of term :P
    Quigley is my favourite person :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

My two years worth of sage advice on this thread :p

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80424065&postcount=74 - for the academic side of things.

For everything else
    1. Write off April/May for the next four years. You'll only really understand why in April... hopefully early April
    2. Don't buy any of the books you're recommended and please don't bring books to lectures, it's not like school.
    3. Don't buy a dissecting kit (unless you want a spare scissors, scalpel and selection of tweezers for some reason)
    4. Fresher's week is great craic, try and get on campus every day and join a few societies. Whatever you do, make sure you join DUPSA and get in on all the pharmacy events like the wine receptions, the pharmacy ball, the mystery tour etc. IPSA's the national pharmacy soc and they hold bigger events for all the three pharmacy schools, even better.
    5. Don't get too worried if you feel completely lost near the start (especially your very first lecture if Quigley hasn't changed it). It'll all start to come together near the end of the second term.
    6. Did I mention go to all the pharmacy events and enjoy yourself?

My two years worth of sage advice on this thread :p

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80424065&postcount=74 - for the academic side of things.

For everything else

Point 6 is the most relevant of that....you pay 5 euro and get unlimited wine:pac:

• Advertisement

Point 6 is the most relevant of that....you pay 5 euro and get unlimited wine:pac:
    But sadly, no cups for said wine unless you're there in the first few minutes. If you don't mind swigging from a bottle however... you're grand. :p

All this waiting around before I can meet my classmates is annoying so snyways, I'm Karl :)

Thanks everyone for the replies and help, I hate this waiting around!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Throwaway25

Hey guys, starting in September. Just wondering, do many people do the optional first aid course and what's that like?

Hey guys, starting in September. Just wondering, do many people do the optional first aid course and what's that like?
    Haven't heard of anyone who did it personally. I think it's part of the MPharm year anyway so you'll do it eventually.

Haven't heard of anyone who did it personally. I think it's part of the MPharm year anyway so you'll do it eventually.

It is, but I wish I'd done it.

It is, but I wish I'd done it.

Why's that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭BlutendeRabe

Around a fifth did it in my year (including myself). Its piss easy - just takes up around 2 hours of your time every Wednesday. Depending on your examiner, you'll be fed your answers (probably changed though).

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jessica95

Does anyone know when we can register online on my.tcd?

The harvest is past, the summer is ended, and we are not saved (well yet anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Farrem18

I'm starting the course in a few weeks too! :) i was excited until i started reading this thread haha

For the pre-reg requirements, does anybody know what "Modules Selected" is about? I didn't think we had a choice?

We don't.

The only choices i'm aware of are electing to take a broad curriculum module instead of PH2007 in second year (which is a pretty bad idea) and an elective in fourth year in PH4007 where you choose between Hospital, Community and Industrial pharmacy for your elective.

We don't.

The only choices i'm aware of are electing to take a broad curriculum module instead of PH2007 in second year (which is a pretty bad idea) and an elective in fourth year in PH4007 where you choose between Hospital, Community and Industrial pharmacy for your elective.

If you choose community pharmacy for your elective in fourth year, are you able to work in a hospital or industry or are you only qualified to work in community? After the internship like..

Farrem18 wrote: »
    If you choose community pharmacy for your elective in fourth year, are you able to work in a hospital or industry or are you only qualified to work in community? After the internship like..

Chose community and it's harder to get into hospital (that's for the internship). Chose hospital and it's hard but not as hard to get into hospital afterwards (someone has to die or retire)
    Chose industry and it's hard to get into hospital.
    ie hospital is hard to get into. Just because you do industry doesn't mean you'll get a job in industry straight away. It requires a bit of upskilling.
    All doing your prereg in hospital or industry gives you is a foot in the door.
    You can do community and still go on to work in hospital or industry. It's not like you become qualified as a industry pharmacist having done your intern in industry.

Chose community and it's harder to get into hospital (that's for the internship). Chose hospital and it's hard but not as hard to get into hospital afterwards (someone has to die or retire)
    Chose industry and it's hard to get into hospital.
    ie hospital is hard to get into. Just because you do industry doesn't mean you'll get a job in industry straight away. It requires a bit of upskilling.
    All doing your prereg in hospital or industry gives you is a foot in the door.
    You can do community and still go on to work in hospital or industry. It's not like you become qualified as a industry pharmacist having done your intern in industry.

So if i was torn between being a community pharmacist and hospital pharmacist, which would you recommend doing my electives and internship in?

Farrem18 wrote: »
    So if i was torn between being a community pharmacist and hospital pharmacist, which would you recommend doing my electives and internship in?

The elective is, as Dr Henman says, just to give you a taste of whats its like. Its not a prerequisite for entering a specific area of pharmacy. One girl I know, did the industry elective solely because the exam question was easier to answer. If you want to go into Hospital you need to get a work placement in the summer after 3rd year.

Do not worry about it at this stage. You've to get to grips with 1st year and survive Dr Totenkopf.

I have Dr. John Walsh as a Tutor. Any opinions on what he's like?

I have Dr. John Walsh as a Tutor. Any opinions on what he's like?

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Hmmm, not sure how I should interpret this...

Advertisement