Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you Value your pet?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

I would have paid anything to make my great dane, Henry, get better. He got really sick really fast back in February, over the course of about 2 weeks he deteriorated rapidly. For those 2 weeks I paid €112 per week for all the tablets the vet had him on, I would've paid that indefinitely if the tablets had made any difference but unfortunately they didn't do anything for him. I had him put to sleep and it was the worst decision I've ever had to make but he couldn't eat, sleep, stand up, sit down, he was just lying there as the weight literally fell off him, he went from 81kg to 72kg in the first week.
    It was the worst decision I've ever had to make and the hardest thing to cope with.
    I still think about him all the time. Henry was my best friend in the whole world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

I couldn't put a value on my dogs life.
    He means more to me than probably a lot of humans in my life. I think of what to feed him before i feed myself.
    he is the most goofy, clumsy eejet, but loyal to the heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

cloud493 wrote: »
    Animals are the best. They're always happy to see you, never yell at you or get pissed off with you over nothing, usually very affectionate.

I must show this post to my cat. Narky bipolar bastard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Would go into debt if needed. Absolutely love animals, if I saw anyone harming or abusing one I'd be capable of murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

One of my cats was very sick a few months ago. We thought she was going to die. She's only a year old but they couldn't find what was wrong with her. She had an mri. Spinal tap. Blood tests the works. Was in four different Vets and ran up a bill of four grand. I left electric picnic the day I got there to come back and be with her when she got worse and we didn't think she would make it. Had to pay the bills out of pocket not knowing if we would get it back from the insurance. I would have paid it ten times over to get her the care she needed no question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,236 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Wibbs wrote: »

They tried similar on cats, but they will just waste away on such a diet.

I have two cats who live entirely on dry food. I got fed up with putting out commercial 'wet' food, including expensive stuff, and it being ignored. They will eat a bit of cooked meat (provided its chicken) but that's it. They will try anything that they can steal off plates, but if you put it down for them its ignored. The vet always comments that they are in excellent condition, and they both have lovely coats. They are not showing any signs of wasting away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Dog means everything to us- far more than anyone else in our lives. We have insurance so will never have to make the tough decision, but tbh, 5 grand for a life? No question about it.

Think about what you pay in food, vets bills etc etc. Then think about the cost of gym membership, psychotherapy, even heating! Waste of money because our lovely little doggy keeps us fit, happy and warm <3

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

PucaMama wrote: »
    dogs arent wolves.
    Dogs are a subspecies of the wolf. Wolf canis lupus, dog Canis lupus familiaris. Obviously there are differences, especially behaviourally, but they haven't gone from near pure carnivores to cereal eating omnivores either. Some "pedigree" breeds by virtue of the fact that they're inbred mutants with sometimes very serious consequences of that* may require a different/softer diet alright, but feeding grains to dogs is daft and nose on one's face obviously so.
    I see nothing wrong with improving healthcare for animals in ireland.
    Who said any differently? I merely stated that the costs for basic pet healthcare have gone up and gone up massively, outstripping inflation and I blame the insurance industry.
    also if a dog lives until 12, gets its puppy vaccinations then its yearly booster how does it get to 40 vaccinations? its a booster every year, might be more than one at a time but still
    If a dog gets only three boosters/re vaccinations a year, over ten years that's 30 boosters. How come they need boosters every year and humans don't?

*EG a breed like the British Bulldog with their now caved in faces, breathing problems and stiff joints may have issues with a more tough raw diet of meat and bones.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Thus far owning a wolf has been surprisingly inexpensive. So I have not been tested on how far I would go to maintain his medical well being. But my expectation is the levels will be quite extreme. Anything that does not prove to be an ultimate detriment to my family is on the table. All else is expendable and I expect I would happy expend it if required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

:D oh sure DL they vary. Just like people, but in general they don't like it. It could also be your doggie channeling her inner puppy. :) Jumping to you to lick your lips for food, the hug is secondary kinda thing? Constriction of the body can be a calming thing for dogs, recalls pups being squished together with other pups. It's apparently how those anti stress dog jackets work. Funny enough I've read that wolves among themselves "hug" each other more than dogs do. It's more a paws and legs thing than full on body hug though.
    Wolves lick each others teeth as a greeting too!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Thus far owning a wolf has been surprisingly inexpensive.
    Hoping that's a typo or jokey reference. :eek::D If you did own a wolf it would get real expensive real quickly, your house would be destroyed and covered in wee and poo, the neighbourhood cat and dog population would see a fall off and any sickly neighbours with limps would want to stay indoors...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

My doggy does this with her buddies, first time I saw her do it was pretty odd but now it's a complete delight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

We had a three legged cat when i was a kid. It turned up on our doorstep in bits. It looked like a car had knocked it over. We brought it to the vet who set it's leg but said that it might need to be amputated and to come back in 6 weeks.

We brought it back and the leg was amputated. We had the cat for another 10 years. It used to hop around the house and it had a great life. We also called it Tripod.

If it came down to a grand or two for an operation and the option of amputation, I'd go with amputation. Simply because that is a fcuk load of money for me and I'd know the animal could have a happy life.
    If a pet was old, sick and not recovering, I'd have it put down. We had a cat that turned to skin and bone over a period of 6 months. It was sick, and not getting better (and 16 years old). Eventually we put it down, but it would have been far more humane to do it a few months earlier when we could see what was happening. It wouldn't matter how much it cost to treat the cat and keep it alive, it was going to suffer more and the most humane thing to do would be to put it to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Allison91

My 7-year old cat is fairly accident prone, lost his eye, has had some infections in his leg due to his love of cat fights. His leg would swell so he couldn't walk (the poor dote) of course brought him to the vet without hesitation. Last time he was at the vet was over a year ago, my dad found him choking on his food so he somehow did the heimlich and saved him! Forever grateful for that! He had mouth ulcers at the time but we had no idea.

your house would be destroyed and covered in wee and poo

The only destruction of my house that has ever happened was early on - when I took seriously but not seriously enough - that wolves are more social than dogs and you really simply can not leave them alone. You simply do not do it. Failing to take that seriously resulted in him eating into things of some value to me - such as actual walls. It is not an error I made often - or since.

He actually seems to be something of a pacifist. Something I learned when he actually did have a fight with a group of other dogs (they started it). Having despatched them - despite them being of German Shepard type - size and consistency - with an efficiency I have often analogized to watching expertly executed ballet - or Jackie Chan faced with 5 Dublin Craic Heads of Adam And Paul quality - he spent a week visibly depressed by it.

You mentioned cats though - and as someone who severely and strongly dislikes them - I am happy that his pacifism has not become knowledge in the local cat population - and I have no recollection of the last time I have seen a cat anywhere in or around my property.

Local dogs - aside from that gang who decided they wanted to have a go - the only reaction I have really noted in other dogs is bafflement. They walk up towards you in that usual bouncy way dogs do when they see another dog walker coming their way all ready to engage in the usual meet and greet that dogs love so much - but by the time they get within range their bounce has generally drained out and they just look at him knowing something is not right - but not quite sure what it is - and they just give us a berth.

Not sure I get the sickly neighbour reference though I must admit. My only neighbour of note comes no where near us at the best of times anyway except to flick holy water into my land and mutter prayers that our sinning souls be saved. He is quite religious - and not at all happy about several aspects of my life style and existence. Multiplied by the fact that my free Vipassana guidance classes that I give weekly and sometimes bi-weekly, are frequents by a priest and trainee priest from the general locality.

One thing I read in a book about another owner of a wolf - is that wolves have a regurgitation reflex for their young - where the cub will lick their nose and this will make the wolf uncontrollably vomit up edibles in a mother bird like fashion.

The author at one time owned the wolf AND a dog. And the dog cottoned on to this fact really quickly. With the result that the wolf would eat dinner as quikcly as possible and then run and hide. Because the dog would eat HER dinner as fast as possible - with the intention to then run after the wolf and get licking and eating.

Comical and Tragic at the same time.

My doggy does this with her buddies, first time I saw her do it was pretty odd but now it's a complete delight :D
    Yea they do it as pups to make the adult dogs in the family regurgitate food and keep this bonding behaviour into adulthood. One theory holds that this is where kissing in people originally came from. In a few cultures mothers prechew food for their weaning babies and we might kiss as adults as an echo of that. And kissing transfers information on health and genetics with it, which may be part of why dogs do it too. Oh and if you're ever lucky enough to interact with captive wolves, be aware, doggies may lick your face, but wolves will try and french kiss you.

Oh and apparently a dog licking your mouth has much less bacterial transfer than kissing a fellow human would. Their mouths are "cleaner". Their saliva contains very strong anti bacterial agents. Ever have your dog bury a bone and go back to it days later when it's utterly minging and chew away happily, whereas if you even picked it up you'd likely end up in hospital. :D This may also explain why a dog will often lick a cut on your hand or wherever. I always reckoned my various hounds were checking me for taste, the bastards, but it may be a healing, cleaning action.

She was once in kennels for three weeks and I noticed when she came back that she had started doing it when she was hungry. So now the food routine is: Sit, give me a kiss, eat your food. Very adorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Mr. Nice

*EG a breed like the British Bulldog with their now caved in faces, breathing problems and stiff joints may have issues with a more tough raw diet of meat and bones.

You almost sound like you know what you're talking about Ted. Except that British Bulldogs have an extremely strong bite force and have no trouble crunching through solid bone.
    Also, many are fed raw meat because it's better for their health.
    And stiff joints? Although prone to hip dysplasia, they are quite agile and athletic (albeit in short bursts).

Maybe next time you'll base your comments on some knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

What exactly was wrong with his coat if it was food related it would be only dull. Do you brush your dogs coat?

My dog started developing welts all over his ears and started scratching like mad. It got so bad he started to tear himself. We took him to the vet and he gave us ear drops to clean them out. That didn't work (he now has a strong fear of kitchen roll though) and welts started in his feet and legs. Took him back to the vet and he declared it must be an autoimmune infection and to prepare for the worst.

Me, in a panic went straight online and looked up everything. Ended up seeing a suggestion of allergies that had the same symptoms and rang the vet to hold off DDay. Changed his food to a hypoallergenic one and it was the greatest thing that ever happened him. Not only did the welts and scratching stop, his skin completely cleared up and his coat ended up super shiny. He had far more energy and was just a far happier dog. The food costs a fortune but I'd prefer to pay the 50euro for a bag than put my dog down over a disease he doesn't have.

When he does die, I'm going to be a mess. It'll be as bad as one of my siblings dying. That dog helped me through more things in life than any human I know.

I wouldn't under estimate the power of diet. The cheap dog foods don't have half enough in them to sustain a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭tradhead

heldel00 wrote: »
    Have a fair bit spent already and all cos some aul prick of a farmer was throwing poison around willy nilly!

I'm just curious here, was the farmer spreading poison on land that wasn't his own, or was the dog on his land?

Purely curiousity and I hope your dog gets better soon :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

what's the name of the food you have now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

bluewolf wrote: »
    what's the name of the food you have now

Burns Pork and Potato :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Quite a few times went without food for the guts of a week to take my cat to the vet, would do that for the pup too in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭flossy1

Had to put my dog down . I think I have lost a member of my family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

flossy1 wrote: »
    Had to put my dog down . I think I have lost a member of my family

You have. Very sorry for your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

5k on a cat, wouldn't spend 5k on any single animal. They will die anyway.
    Some really overdo it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Have 2 dogs, two good pets but working dogs also on the farm. Wouldn't go spending big money if needs be on any of them. Not that i am mean but would rather have that money for a family member or some family emergency.
    Have to put family first, pets second.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

every last penny i have would go to them. i also noted that lots of vet will let you pay of a large bill. And I have no sympathy to pet owners who won't bring their animals to the vet when they need it and don't give them every possible chance.if you think like that, get a pet-rock. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

[QUOTE

If a dog gets only three boosters/re vaccinations a year, over ten years that's 30 boosters. How come they need boosters every year and humans don't?

Thats the pharmaceutical companies for you. boosters are only recommended by most researchers every 3 years, except for lepto as the strain changes. Lepto needs to be done every year.Also, if you pay attention at your vets, you can vaccinate yourself. i do that. i pay 9 euro per vaccination of +10. if i only do lepto it's 3 euro a pop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Of course. If I was only going to be a half-assed pet owner, I wouldn't have bothered getting a pet at all.

Not saying that it wouldn't be painful to drop that much money on my dog, but I couldn't live with myself if he didn't get the medical care he needed because I was too stingey. That said, if it's not going to improve his quality of life, then the kinder thing to do is to let him go - it would be selfish to keep him alive but in pain, for my own sake.
    It's true though that you don't get it til you have a pet. We only got our labrador Rocky a year and a half ago, before that I wouldn't have got it either, but we love him to bits and couldn't imagine not having him around now. I work from home and I spend more time in his company than any human's! He's a gorgeous wee thing (by "wee" I mean 35kg of black furry cuddle monster).
    There's also the fact that he's your responsibility to look after - if you don't take care of him, nobody will.

For those asking about good quality dry food, we use Maxi Zoo's own brand, Select Gold. It's about 50 quid for the 12kg bag but it lasts about 6 weeks - they display daily feeding costs in the shop and I think it works out about €1.08 per day. He had been fed Bakers before we got him, but when we switched food it made such a difference to his energy and his coat - everyone comments on how shiny his coat is, he's very good looking. He also smells a lot better, and doesn't fart as much, or as badly! The salmon stuff in particular is great for shiny coats.

Advertisement