Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyre Choice - Any experience with these?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭pbthevet

They both look like summer tyres. So both gonna be pretty useless for the type of driving ur hinting at. Get khumo or pirelly all season or winter tyres. Best grip and lifespan. Im a vet ive been there done that worn the teeshirt.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

pbthevet wrote: »
    They both look like summer tyres. So both gonna be pretty useless for the type of driving ur hinting at. Get khumo or pirelly all season or winter tyres. Best grip and lifespan. Im a vet ive been there done that worn the teeshirt.

What are you on about?

OP, the Uniroyals are highly regarded, did a lot of research into them when I was looking at tires and they'd be on the top of my list for tires I reckon.

Yes they are a brillient tyre. But not for irish roads. Look at them sure, no grip at all

Is there a winter version? The sun picture beside them also im sure means they are a summer tyre?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I've a set of the Uniroyals on my car and certainly have no complaints about them, they seem nice and quiet as well as being pretty good on some cross country (i.e. regional and local!) roads over the weekend. They're only on about 500miles at this stage so it's not in any sense a review.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

I dont think they are considered summer tyres at all ,both are supposed to be very highly regarded when it comes to wet weather grip one of the reasons im looking at them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

We have the Rainsport 3's on our MX-5 and I can assure you that they have plenty of grip thank you. They're particularly good in rain, as you might expect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Yes they are a brillient tyre. But not for irish roads. Look at them sure, no grip at all

Is there a winter version? The sun picture beside them also im sure means they are a summer tyre?

Just because there is a picture of a sun doesn't mean the tire won't perform well on wet road;)

Its all about temperature regarding summer vs winter tyres not the weather. Any summer tyre will only be 60% as good as a proper winter tyre.

Ive done the courses, had the same opinions, learnt my lesson, will never go back

Its your life, do what you want

Its all about temperature regarding summer vs winter tyres not the weather. Any summer tyre will only be 60% as good as a proper winter tyre.

Ive done the courses, had the same opinions, learnt my lesson, will never go back

Neither manufacturer state that these are summer tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

projectgtr wrote: »

It is a summer tire, but i wouldn't worry that much. Reviews are positive.
    Irish winter is like summer in other countries for most of the time.

• Advertisement

projectgtr wrote: »

Well they are one or the other? You should find out.

My sister uses them on an audi a3 to replace the continentals that were on it. They are rainmaster 2. I dont think they are great but im fussy. They do clear water very good tho. Sidewall is a bit soft tho. After a year they look very flat to me and dont see where the grip is to come from For the winter ahead

wonski wrote: »
    It is a summer tire, but i wouldn't worry that much. Reviews are positive.
    Irish winter is like summer in other countries for most of the time.

Irish summer is like winter most of the time. Is the good summer clouding your vision?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi op, I bought 2 recently off oponeo .ie and already had 2 rainsport 3 on the front.

I had 4 rainsport 2 on my vrs Octavia found them very good but were very noisey.

Now have rainsport 3 and wow the difference is amazing in less sound.

I had left the old rainsport 2 on the rear for a bit longer then should have and still the rear never stepped out even when testing on roundabouts in very wet conditions.

They do wear quick but I value my car and life and I think the little extra cost is worth it in the end.

Do not ever make the mistake that Chinese tyre are ok even with e mark as they are extremely dangerous imo.

OSI wrote: »
    There's also the option of them being all season tyres (which they are), of course you know that having done a course and all.

Obviously.

Course is the rally ireland winter driving course i get for free every year. Just did it

Benifits of owning a 530d

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

Another vote for RS3's here. I have 4 of them on my car. Even when dumping the clutch on a wet day they cope fine. Unlike the sunnys the previous owner had put on. Wheelspin all the way to third lol.

Well they are one or the other? You should find out.

My sister uses them on an audi a3 to replace the continentals that were on it. They are rainmaster 2. I dont think they are great but im fussy. They do clear water very good tho. Sidewall is a bit soft tho. After a year they look very flat to me and dont see where the grip is to come from For the winter ahead
    Obviously.

Course is the rally ireland winter driving course i get for free every year. Just did it

Suprisingly i find im very easy on tyre wear in my car, the weight of the car probably has a lot to do with it, the civic would have substantially less weight than the a3 or 5 series this will change the tyre wear and grip a fair bit. My past tyres have been road legal R compound tyres so im used to stiff sidewalls and very low wet grip so an all weather tyre will suit me perfect for daily driving.

Any who back on topic
    I see plenty of people have experience with the Uniroyals, havent heard a bad word abou them tbh, has anyone tried the Potenzas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I thought these seemed like a good price, until I checked my own tyre size

€100 per tyre, be as well off purchasing here, and how are you getting them delivered? I could only find £2.99 per tyre to mainland UK only?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,160 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There is a drop down box for delivery to the ROI.

I used to buy off camskill before but the sterling exchange rate and increased delivery charged to the ROI made it no longer viable.

I still couldnt find it, anyway
    I only got one tyre when I checked camskill initially, now 4 options?
    I checked eiretyres and there are more options but their website seems to have changed and I cant compare the tyre ratings and no chart to reference it off, probably there with a bit more looking but it says free shipping.

Im trying to get the wear out of my tyres but will check again when I do,
    how about fitting? whats the cost and saving then?

Disposal is going to cost, plus fitting and balancing, is there still a saving?

I saved all in close €55.

Tyres were €92 each free delivery ¢€15 fitted and old tyre taken. I probably could have got done for less elsewhere but just bald tyres on rear badly needs off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

I've rainsport2 on my jaguar, mad grip in the wet, and you wanna see the plume of spray on the motorway! Will definitely replace them for the same again.

serious3 wrote: »
    I've rainsport2 on my jaguar, mad grip in the wet, and you wanna see the plume of spray on the motorway! Will definitely replace them for the same again.

don't as 3 get rid of water quicker have best rating for this big improvements also less road noise very happy with 3's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Ha, back in yer box OSI!

OSI wrote: »
    I know right. Imagine owning a car with so much torque they have to give you a free winter driving course in the Rally School every year. Weird that none of the other owners of 530ds, or even 535ds on here have ever mentioned doing the course before. Still, would have to be a good few days long to teach you how to judge tyres based on some clip art beside a picture.

The course is one day long and came free from my dealer. Wasnt bad but its not why im giving my opinion

OP asked for opinions, he can choose whatever he wants

Mine is simply this: the rainsport2/3 is a summer tyre with excellent water evacuation abilities. But it will not outperform a good quality winter tyre on irish road conditions.

That is all. Just my opinion and its from experience. For what its worth im running continentals but obviously they not cheap. I did ask the instructers regarding good replacement tyres. They suggested pirelli or khumo winter tyres with a leaning towards khumo for duration and value. That surprised me to be honest bubthere you go.

Goodnight

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

water evacuation

lol, would you go away out of that. I think you are evacuating the urine out of us :D

Whats the response and price of getting tyres fitted that you bring along yourself, (assumign you priced and arranged in advance)

I cant see the kwik fits and advances or some other places being interested in this at all, are they?
    How much to get a tyre fitted, breakdown for fit, disposal of old and balancing

are people going to small sized tyre fitting businesses?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭A Law

I got 19 235 35's fitted in lusk for 20 a corner. Balanced and disposal included, sound lads.

cerastes wrote: »
    Whats the response and price of getting tyres fitted that you bring along yourself, (assumign you priced and arranged in advance)

I cant see the kwik fits and advances or some other places being interested in this at all, are they?
    How much to get a tyre fitted, breakdown for fit, disposal of old and balancing

are people going to small sized tyre fitting businesses?

normally get mine done for €40 for a set of four that would be my local garage not a franchise. I normally drop the 4 wheels and tyres in and collect them later.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fmcg_scribe

Yep, that's the way to go. Most tyre fitters will not refuse the business.

On the higher end tyres for larger wheels, you can make big savings by buying from internet sellers (for example, http://www.tyres-pneus-online.ie/) and getting a local indepdent tyre fitter to fit them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fmcg_scribe

Agreed.

Winter tyres are most effective when temperatures go below seven degrees Celsius.

Two winters ago, there were a lot of days between, say, November and March that met that requirement.

However, last winter was mild and wet, so winter tyres might have been less value unless living on high ground.

Overall, because we don't get much snow and ice in this part of the world and because our climate is still classed as temperate, summer tyres generally function well as "all season" tyres.

Obviously, for drivers in Scotland and many other European countries, there is value in having two sets for tyres for summer and winter.

I have put Goodyear Eagle 1 Asymmetrics on three cars (740i, 535d, and Lexus IS 300) and I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Uniroyals look OK and seem to be good value for money, however, compared to many other brands, they are not tested by magazines and various websites often enough to draw any definite conclusions about how they compare to rival brands.

Sites like http://www.tirerack.com/ are often good for reviews and tests but Uniroyals seem be a blank there.

Advertisement