Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run run run run run run run....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Just make sure to have two slices of cheese cake the night before the marathon.....!

Has your approach to the marathon changed now? Do you plan pace it any differently after the weekends result? It must have given you a big confidence boost.

Lastly! What the fueling plan for the morning of race day. Tempted to run on empty??

2 slices, I can't argue with that logic :)

Not much has changed except as you say a bit of a confidence boost. I still think I'll follow the plan of heading out conservatively but shooting for a sub 2:45 which definitely seems a lot more achievable now. If I feel good I'll push on but I'm not making the same mistake in Rotterdam of heading out with an exact time I have to achieve.

Fuelling, right now I'll probably take the same approach to the HM, coffee and a banana (or 2 coffees and 2 bananas :p) but I'll take on more carbs than normal a day or two before also. It's worked before for me before in Barcelona so I know I can do it but everything needs to go right. This time I'll make sure to take on water at each station even if it's a sip and I'll carry a dioralyte to take around half way. Funny enough in Rotterdam I had cereal and some other stuff I normally wouldn't eat and it didn't go down so well but I can't blame that race on my fuelling, it was probably one of many factors. I can't see any reason why I would change something that works well for me.

Monday 22/09 - AM + PM Recovery (10m)

AM: 5.2 miles in 40:55 @ 7:56 min/mile

Expected concrete legs for this one after the Charleville half but they were feeling surprisingly good.

PM: 5.1 miles in 39:22 @ 7:45 min/mile

This one felt harder that the morning, probably because it was hillier :o

Tuesday 23/09 - 15m Long

15.1 miles in 1:56:45 @ 7:43 min/mile

As usual, 3 mile jog down to the track to meet up with the club. After about 2 miles in I was faced with a life changing decision, to head for the hills or not. I probably shouldn't have with the race still in my legs but I went for the hills. I compromised though and told myself I'd take it very easy and not chase the group. I had a clubmate with my going a similar pace so the run just flew by as we chatted (when not climbing). We got back down to the track and I had one more climb to take care of and that was job nicely done. Legs felt good today and though pace was leisurely it was still a good workout with 1000+ ft climbed.

Wednesday 24/09 - AM + PM Recovery (10m)

AM: 5.3 miles in 41:20 @ 7:42 min/mile

Light jog around the neighbourhood and a few laps around the football pitches, very tired.

PM: 5.0 miles in 36:47 @ 7:20 min/mile

Felt a little more alive in the evening so headed down the hill into town for a loop and back up the hill, pace was quicker than this morning even with the hills but felt quite good overall.

Thursday 25/09 - 6m track @ MP (10m)

10.1 miles in 1:09:05 @ 6:52 min/mile

Session: 6 miles in 35:43 @ 5:57 min/mile

Usual Thursday track session. This feels more and more comfortable each week though it's probably not accurate to call it MP, it's about 10-15 seconds quicker and probably no harm either. This session has been good mental training for me, I used to find the 35+ minutes on the track very difficult at the start but now I find it quite manageable as I try focus on form and breathing and just getting comfortable at that pace.

Splits: 5:56, 6:07, 5:58, 5:57, 5:56, 5:45

Friday 26/09 - 5m Recovery

5m in 39:08 @ 7:49 min/mile

Felt like a rest day only running the 5 miles today. Got it done at lunch time as I slept in this morning. This for some reason felt really hard but it was quite warm out so maybe I can blame that. Gym for core + weights after work.

Saturday 27/09 - 10 mins hills & 6/6/6/5 min on grass (13m)

13.2 miles in 1:32:48 @ 7:03 min/mile

Part 1 of the weekend of death. Down to the farm where we set off for 10 mins of hills, got just under 7 reps of 200 meters done with 200m recovery. Finished that pretty wrecked and couldn't wait to get stuck into more...no wait the opposite, I felt like running away.

We trudged back to the pitches were I set off into a session of 6/6/6/6/5 mins on with 2 mins recovery. I was in as usual with clubmate DC for these, and overall it went really well. We planned on keeping the pace consistent and were told to run within ourselves and it felt exactly like that. Working hard but never really struggling, form and breathing was good. Broke in a pair of XC spikes and blister count was only 1 :)

Splits:
    6 mins @ 5:38 min/mile (1.07 miles)
    6 mins @ 5:34 min/mile (1.07 miles)
    6 mins @ 5:40 min.mile (1.07 miles)
    6 mins @ 5:38 min/mile (1.07 miles)
    5 mins @ 5:36 min.mile (0.86 miles)

Sunday 28/09 - Long Run AM + Easy 5m PM (25m)

Well I made it to Sunday, just the 25 miles to get through today. At least it wasn't a complete surprise, the coach told myself and DC after Charleville that we'd be doing 20m + 5m the next Sunday, as punishment for not winning. No it's just a thing he throws in during a marathon schedule, it's just getting the body even more used to running on tired legs.

AM: 20.1 miles in 2:22:35 @ 7:06 min/mile

This was probably the best long run yet. In with 2 club mates for this and it just flew by and felt so comfortable. We did 4 x 5 mile loops of the marina, perfect calm morning and the legs felt terrific for most of it which is a huge confidence boost. Without even noticing, pace just naturally increased throughout running the last 5 miles all below 7 mins and throwing in a 6:30 to finish.

PM: 5 miles in 38:17 @ 7:38 min/mile

I was feeling fine all day since the 20 miler and didn't really think this would be much trouble. How wrong was I. I went off shopping for the afternoon with herself and we dropped into the marina on the way home for a "nice" jog. It felt so strange heading out on another run but nicely strange. Into the first mile and I probably went out a bit quick, by mile 2 I was suffering. The legs felt empty, my energy levels felt really low and the chaffing! The chaffing!!! Argh! If I learned one thing from this run it was this: Vaseline. I got to mile 4 and finally things levelled out, I felt normal again and finished strong but if I have to do this again I won't be treating it with the same dismissive attitude again...and I'll use vaseline.

I'm pretty happy with that week after racing a half marathon last Sunday. Highest week yet in terms of milage and probably 2 more weeks of high milage before we start to reel it in. Next time I am not waiting until Monday morning to write my log, this has taken bloody hours.

Weekly milage: 89

Monday 29/09 - 75 min Recovery

9.7 miles in 1:15:56 @ 7:52 min/mile

Kinda tired for this and just wanted to get it done. I've started running hilly routes a lot more recently, it wasn't a conscious decision (I don't think) but I feel I'm getting a lot stronger as a result. I'm maintaining decent effort on the climbs and that can only be a good sign for Dublin which is by no means mountainous but as we all know has it's drags.

Tuesday - 15m Long

15 miles in 1:48:28 @ 7:14 min/mile

This was pretty good and the sluggishness from yesterday had faded. Ran 4 miles down to the club then ran 6 miles with a clubmate and the last 5 on my own. Picked up the pace for the last 5 and felt pretty good coming up the big climb at the end. These midweek long runs are a key component of a marathon schedule for me.

Wednesday - 5m Recovery + 5m Easy

AM:5.1 miles in 41:47 @ 8:16 min/mile

How did this happen? How is it suddenly still dark when I'm heading out on a morning run for feck sake. This was tough, legs still asleep but just plodded through.

PM:5.1 miles in 35:22 @ 6:59 min/mile

Contrast this to the morning run and you'd swear I had swapped in a new pair of legs (though I didn't really, don't be silly). I just headed out with no pace in mind and found myself very comfy at 7 min/mile and on a bumpy route. Nice run and headed off for a painful massage afterward as a reward (getting one of these every 10-15 days has been very beneficial).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

jebuz wrote: »
    How did this happen? How is it suddenly still dark when I'm heading out on a morning run for feck sake.

I don't know how it was dark if you had been reading my report before you went out. You must have got out of bed at 3am! :pac:

Really can't wait to see what you do in Dublin. This training block has been excellent.

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I don't know how it was dark if you had been reading my report before you went out. You must have got out of bed at 3am! :pac:

Really can't wait to see what you do in Dublin. This training block has been excellent.

Ah but that was after my run, when I was actually awake :)

Thanks, things have gone really well and I couldn't be happier with the progress. I'm trying not to put pressure on myself for this one, just want to get through the training injury free and I'll give it my best bash on the day.

• Advertisement

Thursday 02/10 - 35 min track tempo

10.8 miles in 1:15:15 @ 6:58 min/mile

Session: 35 mins @ 5:48 min/mile (6.04 miles)

Pretty good session. I actually asked the coach was it worth going longer tonight as the recent tempos had been feeling pretty comfortable, I figured it'd be good to get a longer MP session in. He said no and to do 35 mins at 5:50 pace and so off I went, firmly put in my place. In with a group of 2 others, effort was consistent and felt ok, not particularly easy and I really think I'm starting to feel the cumulative fatigue of the training now. Surprised to hear my coach say afterwards that we'll start to freshen up now for the DCM, too soon?. I'm a bit concerned the fact I've only 2 x 20 milers done and he advised to do pull back to 15 miles this Sunday. That said, I have done quite of a lot of the 15+ milers and he seems to think that I've got the miles in my legs and I guess I've just got to trust him. I'd love to run the Cork county novice this weekend but it'll have to wait until next year. Instead I'm on the lookout for a 5m/10k race in a weeks time, should be a good sharpener.

Friday 03/10 - 5m Recovery on Treadmill

5 miles in 40 mins @ 8min/mile

We've a pretty decent gym here in work so one look out the window and my decision was made - the dreadmill. It's not ideal but better than getting blown away or getting a cold (that's the pre-taper paranoid starting to kick in). This was essentially a very boring 40 minutes. The TV wouldn't work so I had to watch the little computer screen showing a 400 meter track and a little virtual me running around it. It was a very good show, almost as good as TV but very predictable.

Saturday 04/10 - 10 mins hills + 5/5/4/3/2/2 mins on grass

12 miles in ??

I forgot the watch for this one but was probably a good thing in hindsight, I ran this purely on feel and it was a great session. Off we went to the hills for our first serving of punishment, 6 x 200m, got that done and then back to the grass. Plan was 3 x 5 mins (off 2 min recovery) followed by 4/3/2/1 mins but I made a bit of a mess of it. I was in with my usual group, ran the first 2 x 5 minutes well, I didn't know at the time but pace was in the 5:20's and I felt very strong. I was still feeling good in the 3rd rep and thought I had an extra gear so I made a bold move to leave the group, not something I'm used to doing but I figured if I can handle it why not. I caught up with a lone clubmate ahead who I know is better than me and and I worked in with him, no idea of the pace but was nippy. Turned out he was doing this rep in 4 mins so I figured I'd just stick with him for the 3/2/1 mins, adding an extra minute on at the end. I almost puked after the last 2 mins but I know I gave this session everything and it felt terrific. Not always ideal to leave everything in training, but I can't see the harm every now and then :) Quality session overall and happy to see myself make decisions like that to push myself harder when I know I can, sometimes it's too easy to just sit in with a group and get comfortable. I died a little inside when I had to manually input my session into Strava, not good for me.

Sunday 04/10 - 15 miles

15.2 miles in 1:44:12 @ 6:51 min/mile

Last long run as we start to wind down to the big day so we decided to up the pace for this, though it was never actually discussed :) In with a group of 4 for this so time really flew by as we chatted and I was surprised to see us comfortably pull off a few 6:30 miles in the middle feeling very good. To find a sub-3 marathon pace so comfortable for 15 miles is a huge confidence boost and it really serves as a good reminder that the bulk of the work for Dublin is done. It's a matter of now keeping the body fresh and winding it down sensibly while staying relatively sane! Headed out to a field in the middle of nowhere to laugh at support my clubmates in the county novice. Based on some of the painful grimaces out there, I wasn't missing too much.

Not much running to report on right now, the left achilles flared up on Sunday after the long run and was kinda painful to walk on. Doesn't feel like anything major, just overuse. Plan was a 10 miler for Monday but I knew that wasn't happening. Rested up and felt surprisingly positive and not worried, something's not right.

Tuesday 07/10 - 5 miles Easy

5.3 miles in 38:43 (7:18 min/mile)

Planned on a 10 miler today, achilles had been feeling fine so thought I was back to fitness. Ran down to club, headed off with them but achilles started paining me after about 5 miles so I called time on the run and walked home. A little worrying but nothing to be gained at this stage by pushing through pain and everything to be lost so I was taking no chances. If I need another day off I'll take it, weekly milage means little at this stage though I'm extremely keen to get back because I'm losing all of my fitness and I'm going to come last in the DCM. And I'm not being overdramatic.

Wednesday 08/10 - 5.6 miles Easy

I badly wanted this to go well and up until about 3 miles the leg was fine, but then the familiar shooting pain returned. Not enough to stop me running but I eased right up on the pace and headed for home feeling relatively uncomfortable. I Iced it immediately and ate some dinner, then I stared into space for a while. I'll likely take tomorrow off completely to let this sort itself out. Disaster of a week and starting to wreck my head a little. *nervous laugh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Doc Q the 5th

Wednesday 08/10 - 5.6 miles Easy

I badly wanted this to go well and up until about 3 miles the leg was fine, but then the familiar shooting pain returned. Not enough to stop me running but I eased right up on the pace and headed for home feeling relatively uncomfortable. I Iced it immediately and ate some dinner, then I stared into space for a while. I'll likely take tomorrow off completely to let this sort itself out. Disaster of a week and starting to wreck my head a little. *nervous laugh*

Priority is making the startline healthy but you already know that- take 1, 2 or 3 days rest if you have to- I know it can get in your head but those "off" days will have zero impact on your race...the work is already done.

Get better soon!

• Advertisement

Thanks mysterious doc :D

Yep you're right, rationally I know it won't make much of a difference to my race, but being rational is very hard when you're not running :)

Thursday 09/10 - 0 miles, gym & core session at lunch time to keep me sane

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Is it definitely achilles? Been to anyone about it?

No not definite but based on a similar injury on the other leg I'm pretty sure, same symptoms. Tomorrow if it's not improved I'll be seeing somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

No not definite but based on a similar injury on the other leg I'm pretty sure, same symptoms. Tomorrow if it's not improved I'll be seeing somebody.

I would say go and see someone anyway. If nothing else but for peace of mind.

Good call on resting it. I know it's not easy but luckily it is now and not in two weeks. It could be a blessing in disguise. An extra bit of rest might be exactly what you need.

You're in great shape. The work is done. You'll be back to it in no time. Rest up.

Friday 10/10 - 6 miles Easy

6.2 miles in 48:19 @ 7:47

6 very easy but more importantly pain free miles. Headed up to some GAA pitches near work at 4pm, beautiful crisp Friday evening and all I wanted was to get some miles in without any pain. I reluctantly took yesterday off and it seemed to have done the trick as I got this done without any issues and the achilles felt completely fine. Had a workmate with me so took my mind off obsessing about about the leg as we chatted away. Tick! Absolutely no session tomorrow, more grass running prescribed but really puts my mind at ease before a few* work scoops tonight.

Saturday 11/10 - 9+ miles easy(ish)

9.3 miles in 1:04:23 6:53 min/mile

This was a great run and the first "proper" one since last Sunday. Sometimes you need to have something taken away from you to really appreciate it and I really did appreciate this one. I headed out again with no set plan, I'd just see how the leg was and do what I can. A smashing sunny evening here in Cork and I headed the 2 miles up to the local GAA pitches, legs feeling well rested and I just let them dictate the pace. Once I got onto the pitches I felt really good and was surprised to look down at a 6:30 pace so I just went with it. In hindsight I shouldn't have but I knocked out 2 nippy 6:22 and 6:14 miles before retreating back to the road, a group of about 30 little sh!ts bullied me to the point of submission, kids these days. I headed down to a grass park nearby where there were more brats, this time speeding around the grass on dirt bikes, where are the parents I ask. I did a few laps before getting sick of the vroom vrooms and headed back on the road and up the hill for home. Nice mix of grass, road and some hills thrown in, lovely job. The body felt great today and the rest has obviously done me good, I only wish the marathon were a lot closer, this could be a long 2 weeks.

Sunday 12/10 - 10 miles easy

10.3 miles in 1:14:37 @ 7:15 min/mile

Another cracking but chilly morning here in Cork. I look down on the city from where I live and there's a huge blanket of fog hovering over the city, beautiful sight. Ran down to the marina which was basking in sunshine and felt pretty good again today. I was tempted to do a few more miles at the end but for what benefit really, just stuck with the plan which was a 10 miler and got it ticked off with no problems.

Weekly milage: 36.8

ok let's just move on from that week :)

Monday 13/10 - 10 miles Easy

10.4 miles in 1:17:49 @ 7:29 min/mile

Headed straight out on the road from work and met a clubmate who lives nearby and we got some lovely miles in the evening sunshine. Such a breathtaking sight as we ran down a country gravel track overlooked Blarney in all it's golden green glory. Bit of a mixed route, countryside, housing estates , into the city and then back up to work for a lovely hot shower. Felt great today, very bumpy route and felt so strong coming up all the climbs. Achilles giving me no issues at all now and for that I am very thankful to my achilles.

Tuesday 14/10 - 70 mins Easy

9.6 miles in 1:10:10 @ 7:21 min/mile

Headed down to the track and I assumed I'd be doing a session with an XC race coming up this weekend. Coach said not to risk a session yet and to run easy around the track. It was pretty boring and hard to watch the rest of the group tearing it up but I couldn't really complain, I'm not injured, just being cautious. Ran back home after up the hill and again felt full of energy. Really looking forward to the XC this weekend which will allow me channel some of this positive energy (just have to negotiate my way through my brothers stag the night before).

Wedneday 15/10 - 11 miles mixed

AM: 5 miles in 40 mins @ 8 min/mile

Looked out the window at 7am and computer says no, I mean Conor says no. Given the handiness of a treadmill in work I opted for not getting drenched + boredom + watching virtual me running around a track on the computer screen + listening to a podcast.

PM: 6 miles in 45:12 @ 7:32 min/mile

Was down for my bi-weekly rub for this evening so said I'd integrate it with a run instead of driving down. 4 easy miles down to the city, 1 hour of EXCRUCIATING TORTURE and then 2 miles back up home. Job done and legs still feeling fantastic.

Thursday 16/10 - 10 miles w/20 mins @ MP

10.1 miles in 1:10:38 @ 7:01 min/mile

Session: 20 mins @ 6:01 min/mile (3.32 miles)

I was pretty eager to get some speed into the legs having had to sit out (rather jog out) Tuesday's track session and with a race this weekend I wanted to sharpen up a little. If anything with almost 2 weeks of easy running recently I just wanted a little affirmation that I'm still in good shape, no real logic to that I know. I ran 4+ miles down to the track as a warmup and I was about to jump into my usual 5:40-5:50 pace group until the coach told me to go with 6 min group. I thought fair enough I'll get some MP miles into my legs and actually quite enjoyed it. Pace was steady at a few seconds quicker than MP and I'm not sure if I was just over analysing or being paranoid but at times it did feel tough, nothing I'm going to lose sleep over as I know come race day I'll be well rested. I have trust in my training that I'll be able to comfortably tune into that pace on the day.

Friday 17/10 - 35 mins recovery

4.4 miles in 35 mins @ 7:53 min/mile

Just a routine recovery and kept it local, very local, i.e the gym in work and on a treadmill. Legs feeling really good still and this was the last run before the intermediates on Sunday which I'm really looking forward to, I just hope this weather sorts itself out a little - no actually a lot.

Is a race this weekend a good idea?

*Excuse my ignorance/lack of knowledge

• Advertisement

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Is a race this weekend a good idea?

*Excuse my ignorance/lack of knowledge

I'm no more knowledgable than you and believe me I questioned it too but this is what my coach advises and I trust him. He's already gotten me to a level I didn't think was possible this year and has always erred on the side of caution when it comes to backing off or resting up for races. For this one he obviously feels it'll enhance my chances in the marathon and the risk is worth it, I'm happy to go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

I'm no more knowledgable than you and believe me I questioned it too but this is what my coach advises and I trust him. He's already gotten me to a level I didn't think was possible this year and has always erred on the side of caution when it comes to backing off or resting up for races. For this one he obviously feels it'll enhance my chances in the marathon and the risk is worth it, I'm happy to go for it.

I always feel with the cross country that you recover a lot quicker. There's less impact on your legs and simply put, you just can't run as fast. Mentally it is tough and I think this is what might stand to you most in the marathon.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Yeah, no harm in questioning his motives. He knows your body and how you recover so it's right to put your faith in him. Coaches usually know their athletes better than the athletes know themselves!

Have a good one! Looks like a good sharpener before the marathon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Who is coaching you now? Someone in Leevale or is it still Jim?

I'm sure you've mentioned it in here somehwere but your log is really not that interesting so I only read it when I'm home like a loser on Friday nights :pac:

Yep Donie in Leevale, good buddies with Jim actually! Don't think I've mentioned it but I'll try make it more interesting for you, more cowbell?

Sunday 19/10 - XC County Intermediate

8th place, 4th placer for Leevale (team gold)

I don't want to talk about this for too long because the tears might break my keyboard. This was my 2nd XC race ever, my first being 2 years ago and I had obviously wiped that from my memory. This was quite the brutal reintroduction to XC but the good news is I made it through injury free, I helped the team to win gold but somehow I'm disappointed. I think I should have done better, mentally I wasn't with it today, I didn't fight enough and when I knew I had my place secured I was happy to just see it through.

Preparation wasn't ideal, I was in Dublin on my brother stag last night, 2am by the time I got to sleep having had to carry himself home and then up at 6:30am to get the bus back to Cork. I didn't drink too much but I did have toblerone cheesecake again in Luigi's, I'm not sure if it's the rocket fuel I once thought it was. Anyway the race was a pure slogfest. Strong headwinds, tough, energy sapping climbs and mud (and cowsh!t) up to your eyeballs. The course was 8k, 2 x 1000m laps an 4 x 1500m laps. I went out too fast and by the 2nd lap I was already dying a death wondering how I'd get through the rest of it. I was sitting in 8th and had a good gap on the guy behind me. My clubmate was just ahead of me but I didn't have the drive to stick with him and he gradually pulled away. I just persevered through the last 4 laps, I knew the pace was slowing but because I had such a gap behind me I didn't push more than I had to. I did find a second wind coming to the end and made up some ground but If anything this was a really good burnout session before the marathon. I didn't lose any places but I didn't gain any either and we ended up taking the gold pretty comfortably placing 3rd, 5th, 6th and 8th. XC is a completely different animal to the road races and I will be approaching my next one with a little more caution at the start.

Anyway this wasn't a goal race so not going to dwell on it too much, job done and on we go to the main event next week. Legs are about to be raised to a vertical position on the couch and shall remain there for the unforeseen future.

Weekly milage: 53

Top 10 finish and team gold after a night on the beer (although I am surprised you didn't perform to your expectations having consumed the Toblerone Cheesecake :pac:) doesn't sound so bad to me.

Anyway I'll just say one thing (or to be more accurate, quote you):
    Anyway this wasn't a goal race so not going to dwell on it too much

Exactly. On to next week.

Inspired by DublinRunner (i.e copying DublinRunner) I also have some time on my hands so I'm going to use it wisely and make a stats table, but a better one. In fact I'm going to go stat crazy, stand by.

Training Summary:

Month|Miles|Avg/Day|Ran|Rest Days|Injury Days|5k's|4m's|10m's|1/2 Mar's|Marathons|XC|Notes/Highlights
    Jan|251|8.09|27/31|4|0|2|0|0|0|0|0|Home from Asia, straight back into it :pac:
    Feb|282|10.07|26/28|1|1|0|0|0|0|0|0|Getting the miles in
    March|281|9.06|28/31|1|2|0|0|1|1|0|0|Looking on track with a 58:46 in mallow
    April|169|5.63|22/30|8|0|0|0|0|0|1|0|Not a good day in Rotterdam :mad:
    May|237|7.9|29/31|1|1|1|1|0|0|0|0|Joined club, started focus on track & speed
    June|250|8.06|28/30|2|0|2|0|0|1|0|0|Good 5k results
    July|297|9.58|30/31|1|0|1|0|0|1|0|0|2nd at Killarney 1/2 Marathon
    Aug|318|10.25|28/31|3|0|0|0|1|0|0|0|Starting to build milage for DCM
    Sept|336|11.2|30/31|1|0|0|0|0|1|0|0|Delighted with a 75:40 @ Charleville 1/2
    Oct*|143|7.52|16/19|1|2|0|0|0|0|0|1|Good news here soon? :confused:
    Total|2567|9.72|264/293|23|6|6|1|2|4|1|1|

Racing Summary:

vf8q2.png

Milage Chart for the last year

esot6.png

Ahhhhh, glad I got that out of my system, back to netflix.

Monday 20/10 - 8m Recovery

8 miles in 1:02:24 @ 7:49 min/mile

Final week of taper, how did we get here already! These weeks don't come around often, they're not pretty but you have to stand back and appreciate the fact you've made it this far injury free and be proud of the training you've put in. Of course that's easy to say and this week has been full off self doubt and nerves but it's just a case of pushing through the irrationalities and the doubt and getting yourself to the line. Nice easy 8 miler here into town and back though had to battle a wave of wind and rain. Legs felt fine after the XC the day before.

Tuesday 21/10 - 50mins easy

6:8 miles in 50:01 @ 7:19 min/mile

Winding it down boss, winding it down. Legs feeling very good today, headed down to the track and chatted with clubmates for a while and then headed back home before running about 2 minutes of a club warmup, shorted session ever?

Wednesday 22/10 - 40 mins easy(ish)

5.7 miles in 40:00 @ 7:01 min/mile

Over in London with work for a conference which I was pretty happy to attend as it would break up the week nicely and take my mind off...other things. Got to the hotel around 8pm, dropped my stuff and headed straight out for a run, over Tower Bridge and into the suburbs. Felt really good and pushed the pace early on letting the legs just pick a pace, figured I'd use this run to get a final bit of speed into the legs before Monday. Special mention to the lamb shank I had for dinner, holy sheep it was amazing.

Thursday 23/10 - 40 mins easy

5.2 miles in 39:23 @ 7:38 min/mile

Got through the riveting conference and was aching to get outside for a run. I headed out on a different route along the Thames, felt tired so pace was a lot slower than yesterday though I did pick up the pace at the end because some boyo was challenging me, childish but had to drop him. Getting so close now, in fact I might even go pace the room for a while while biting my nails, pacing always helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Best of luck on Monday Jbugs, you've put in a fantastic shift over the last couple of months. Hope you hit your goal and enjoy the day. Stay away from the cheesecake till after the race :)

TbL

Advertisement