Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wellies recommendation?

Options
  • 20-10-2014 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

Just discovered that my wellies, that I bought about 18 months ago, are leaking. The left in the heel, the right in the toe. I think the brand was Elite, cost about €15.
    The previous wellies I had were from Lidl/Aldi, last about 12 months. And prior to that I'd got wellies in Homebase, for about €15 that lasted less than two years.

Can anyone recommend a brand that last? What are those Dunlop Purofort wellies like? And more importantly, how long do they last? Are they worth the extra money?

Are there any brands that come with a five year guarantee? I'm sure wellies used to last longer in previous years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

I have a pair of Hunter Balmoral Neoprenes. At €140 you'd want to be getting ten years out of them but two years in mine are still going strong. You get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Limofarmer

Can anyone reccomended a good pair of wellingtons that offer proper foot support .something with proper arch and foot support ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

1 to 1.5 years for 15 or 12 quid? sounds like incredible value to me! thats not even a euro per month. As Gok wan would say, the cost / wear ratio is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Suckler

Dunlop Purofort Thermo safety wellies, great job. Comfortable and warm, you could sleep in them.

Downside - too warm for hot days ( but then most are). Also the cost, very expensive.

Aul lad wore out two pairs of hunter neopprene lined wellies. Said they were very comfortable and plenty warm during winters but didn't last any time. Pricey for what they ended up lasting.

Picked up a pair of ordinary Dunlop Puroforts in the creamery and they've lasted twice what the hunters have.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Suckler wrote: »
    Picked up a pair of ordinary Dunlop Puroforts in the creamery and they've lasted twice what the hunters have.

Have a pair myself and hate them. Find them too big and clunky.

OP. jesus, how long would you like 15 euro wellies to last? You must be like AP2014, doing 2 hours a week :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

have the dunlop purofort aswell, got a different pair a few weeks ago, dont know the name, they are really light made from the same stuff as cow cubicle mats, takes alot of getting used to them. They are comfortable though, says they are made in poland on the bottom of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Have bikina here great boot. Good support for walkinh on the concrete and are warm in winter

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

Have bikina here great boot. Good support for walkinh on the concrete and are warm in winter

Agree on the bekina, thought u were in a bikini at first reading!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Gautama wrote: »
    Are there any brands that come with a five year guarantee? I'm sure wellies used to last longer in previous years.

Those were the days of the "Silver King" wellington. Lasted for years, but minimal grip, would freeze the feet off you in winter, and melt them in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Here is an old thread on wellies. A little light reading there was even a fella call sharpshooter around then

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057100402

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Was wearing MuckBoots today. Savage comfort in them. Nice bitta grip aswell. €130 as fair as I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭skoger

I bought a pair of puroforts about a year ago had to take them back within the week as there was a hole in one. Got them replaced no bother. The second had to go back around jun/jul time as the seam at the back was coming apart just above the heel. I had to wait a week or so for the rep to come and look at them before they'd change them. No problems with the third set yet but I don't know if I'd buy another pair even if I get a couple of years out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

I have a pair of dunlope. Profort and I like them. I'd recommend buying a seperate insole for any wellie but the support in the dunlope is very good I find. The steel toes ones look heavy to me though especially if ur walking a through a mucky field.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 laurinjames

I find a good pair of riggers boots much much better than wellies.
    Far less sweaty in the summer, and far warmer in winter.
    Nearly everyone in construction has moved on from wellies to riggers boots.

For hygiene and comfort reasons alone. No footwear you are wearing every day, day in day out, should be used for 5 years. When I find a good pair, I buy several and alternate between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

the rigger boots are great. Depends what your going through - the rigger boots go up to mid-shin so if you were going to be around deepish water? youll get rigger boots in Aldi/lidl from time to time for about 20 euro. Still ive a pair of their wellingtons steel toecaps and all and there a great boot!

the rigger boots are great. Depends what your going through - the rigger boots go up to mid-shin so if you were going to be around deepish water? youll get rigger boots in Aldi/lidl from time to time for about 20 euro. Still ive a pair of their wellingtons steel toecaps and all and there a great boot!

There's nothing muckier or wetter than winter construction sites, wellies are definitely more waterproof if you are going to be standing in deep water for hours, but at a price, and it's time to question you working methods and set up if it involves standing in deep water all day. So it's horses for courses really. I wouldn't advise spending only 20 euro on something you will be wearing 8 hours a day, day in day out, as part of making your living. Penny wise and pound foolish as the old people used to say. Grand for some diy man 1 or 2 hours a week, that's about it. You spend all day in your footwear and on your feet, and it's worth spending a little time on a good set up. Farmers think nothing of splashing tens of thousands on machinery, but never think about their own workwear and how to get the most out of it and the comfort and suitability for doing extra and longer work in all weathers. I worked out a few years ago it's not the 80's anymore and there's no need to be spending all day in a pair of jeans and a jumper and cheap wellies that were never meant for working in for long days, all day, every day. There's great workwear available now, that makes working them long hours a bit easier and more comfortable. So why not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

There's nothing muckier or wetter than winter construction sites, willies are definitely more waterproof if you are going to be standing in deep water for hours, but at a price, and it's time to question you working methods and set up if it involves standing in deep water all day. So it's horses for courses really. I wouldn't advise spending only 20 euro on something you will be wearing 8 hours a day, day in day out, as part of making your living. Penny wise and pound foolish as the old people used to say. Grand for some diy man 1 or 2 hours a week, that's about it.

:eek:

Kovu wrote: »
    :eek:

if you're horny lgbt forum >>>thataway

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Limofarmer

I was often told to that good footwear and a proper bed/mattress are important as if not wearing one you're probably in the other

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

if you're horny lgbt forum >>>thataway

Kovu's always horny, he hangs around this forum in a semi aroused state waiting for any young filly that may wander by. He's a hound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Fresianglen

Definitly Dunlop. Great wearing out of them

Kovu's always horny, he hangs around this forum in a semi aroused state waiting for any young filly that may wander by. He's a hound.

you'd better look out so . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Limofarmer wrote: »
    I was often told to that good footwear and a proper bed/mattress are important as if not wearing one you're probably in the other

What's wrong with being in both?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Bought a pair of seeland boots on Saturday. Fair comfort in them but they were 80 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Gautama

OP. jesus, how long would you like 15 euro wellies to last? You must be like AP2014, doing 2 hours a week :D

Would be hoping about five years at least, like the used to in the past. I wouldn't wear them daily. Maybe once or twice a week, for a few hours.
    You get what you pay for.
    Generally I would agree with you, and would happily pay a bullseye or more if I knew they'd last but...
    skoger wrote: »
    I bought a pair of puroforts about a year ago had to take them back within the week as there was a hole in one. Got them replaced no bother. The second had to go back around jun/jul time as the seam at the back was coming apart just above the heel.
    I find a good pair of riggers boots much much better than wellies.
    Too shallow.
    Nearly everyone in construction has moved on from wellies to riggers boots.
    Definietly out.

For hygiene and comfort reasons alone. No footwear you are wearing every day, day in day out, should be used for 5 years. When I find a good pair, I buy several and alternate between them.

I must have a dozen or so pairs of shoes so I do plenty of rotation. One pair of wellies should do me.

I see you're banned, what happened there, I wonder?

Thanks for the responses. Think I'll buy Dunlop Puroforts in the sales if they're still on.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

I wouldn't advise spending only 20 euro on something you will be wearing 8 hours a day, day in day out, as part of making your living. Penny wise and pound foolish as the old people used to say. Grand for some diy man 1 or 2 hours a week, that's about it. You spend all day in your footwear and on your feet, and it's worth spending a little time on a good set up. Farmers think nothing of splashing tens of thousands on machinery, but never think about their own workwear and how to get the most out of it and the comfort and suitability for doing extra and longer work in all weathers..

agree with you totally. the OP never really said what type of work they were going to be doing. I started buyin the snickers workwear stuff a few yrs back. Expensive but lasts for years and great for winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭huwboy

agree with you totally. the OP never really said what type of work they were going to be doing. I started buyin the snickers workwear stuff a few yrs back. Expensive but lasts for years and great for winter.

Nora's are the best for in the parlour or tractor work in my view and i wouldn't swap them, but when it comes to working with stock/around stock then steel toe caps are a big bonus really, so it does depend on what you're going to be doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Thanks for the responses. Think I'll buy Dunlop Puroforts in the sales if they're still on.

Watch out, there are now a range of purofort wellies. The cheapest of the range is crap and to be avoided

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Well, I bought a pair of Puroforts in Dairygold and there's a bloody slit already in the top of one of them. Checked there and I only bought them in January this year and they cost €70.
    You'd expect them to last at least a year at that price. I don't wear them that much either as only part time farming.:mad:

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

Advertisement