Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are you looking forward to christmas this year?

Options
  • 18-10-2014 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

Personally, I'm dreading it. Its a very lonely time of the year for some people. If I could get a few weeks off work I'd shag off to Asia somewhere in mid december and come back in january when its all over. My birthday is xmas eve and I still can't stand that time of year.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Get Halloween out of the way first op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I always used to love Christmas when I was younger. All the giving and receiving presents and going out with your friends and snuggling on the couch with a roasting fire and the Christmas movies. My dad died in early December a few years ago and Christmas has kinda lost its sparkle now but I know he would want us to be happy so we do try.

It's a lovely time of year for the children it's lovely to see their faces light up when they see the tree going up and the lights being switched on. And on Christmas morning of course:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'm looking back to the year Christmas Day and New Year's Day fell within the one calendar year. That was an awesome year.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Yes, always did. I love it, and so did my Dad, who died last year. We remember the Night-Rider.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I'm looking back to the year Christmas Day and New Year's Day fell within the one calendar year. That was an awesome year.

1976 i remember it well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Christmas is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Yep, although it's the first year I'll be spending Christmas day away from my family and staying with the wife's instead. We went to my home place last year so it's only fair. It'll be some change though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Yes I am ,I'm looking forward to the ex falling out of the attic when she tries to get the tree and decorations out of it .
    That,ll learn the mad cnut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Lyger

Yes, I LOVE Christmas!
    lufties wrote: »
    Personally, I'm dreading it. Its a very lonely time of the year for some people. If I could get a few weeks off work I'd shag off to Asia somewhere in mid december and come back in january when its all over. My birthday is xmas eve and I still can't stand that time of year.
    Ah that sucks... It is a very hard time of year indeed for a lot of people - it's all about being happy and jolly, and that's hard enough under normal circumstances when you're aching inside.
    I've had those Christmases too, which makes the good ones all the more sweet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

I like it to a point. Love when the decorations are up. Hate the fuss over dinner, whether to ask the parents or secretly hope they go to other siblings. Swear every year we are not having turkey but always end up having it anyway. Ya its an emotional time of year when family have passed away, but nice to remember with fondness the times they were there. In my case our firstborn died near Christmas and it took a good 9 years for that pain to ease and for me not to be a phsycho around his anniversary! I enjoy the Santa shopping and though one is too old for it now, have another one just getting in on it so will have that for another few years. And when they are all grown up and willing each other to ask Dh and I for Christmas dinner, I will remember with fondness the way I too used to do that - but will still go regardless to the house with the best cook :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

It's not the same as it was when I was younger, and can in fact be quite a sad time of year. I won't be alone for it, but it's not something I'm looking forward to.

Ghekko wrote: »
    In my case our firstborn died near Christmas and it took a good 9 years for that pain to ease and for me not to be a phsycho around his anniversary!
    I'm so glad to read the pain has eased a bit and that you can deal with it more easily. :-)

Macavity. wrote: »
    It's not the same as it was when I was younger, and can in fact be quite a sad time of year. I won't be alone for it, but it's not something I'm looking forward to.
    Yeh I felt like that for a few years - just that the thrill had faded compared to when I was younger (which is natural) and then because of personal stuff making it a hard time.
    But then... it started to get magical again! I don't know why, but I feel lucky! Didn't think I'd ever recapture that. :-)

Lyger wrote: »
    Yeh I felt like that for a few years - just that the thrill had faded compared to when I was younger (which is natural) and then because of personal stuff making it a hard time.
    But then... it started to get magical again! I don't know why, but I feel lucky! Didn't think I'd ever recapture that. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Love Christmas dinner, one of the times I'm happiest.

We always have walking-bird - with all the trimmings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Yes, I LOVE Christmas!

Ah that sucks... It is a very hard time of year indeed for a lot of people - it's all about being happy and jolly, and that's hard enough under normal circumstances when you're aching inside.
    I've had those Christmases too, which makes the good ones all the more sweet.

As a single person it can be annoying when you are alone in a foreign land. Also, my folks live in a small paraochial town in ireland that I left nearly 15 years ago. 2 nights is enough, after that I start to get extremely restless. It gets so boring. Ugh.

Being single in and of itself at Christmas isn't an issue for me personally; being single following the heart being broken though... extremely difficult at Christmas; especially when you see all the happy couples - friends, family, even strangers, and you're trudging home on your own Christmas Eve...

Being single in and of itself at Christmas isn't an issue for me personally; being single following the heart being broken though... extremely difficult at Christmas; especially when you see all the happy couples - friends, family, even strangers, and you're trudging home on your own Christmas Eve...

Light a huge coal fire on Christmas Day, and that night put your feet up in front of it with a bottle of four-star port, a sh1t-load of mince pies and Dickens' "A Christmas Carol". ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Have a little one due around Christmas so really looking forward to it! Big fan of Christmas anyway, lots of food, drink and craic with friends and family :)

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Have a little one due around Christmas so really looking forward to it! Big fan of Christmas anyway, lots of food, drink and craic with friends and family :)

Ah! A Tiny Tim!! :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Nah not really, it's not a big deal in my house at all, it's just another date on the calender, we throw up a tree and all that, but we don't do anything christmassy as such

jimgoose wrote: »
    Dickens' "A Christmas Carol". ;)
    Each year I vow to watch every version of A Christmas Carol possible. Haven't succeeded yet. It really does make the auld heart sing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I LOVE Christmas - the one time of the year when I don't have to do anything for anyone else only sit on me hole and eat and drink all round me! :D

Oh yeah, presents too, they're always nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭shuffles88

I am but not for the presents and all that, I'm in college as a mature student and felt like Christmas had lost the 'magic' when I worked because I was always in work right up to and straight after Christmas. We were also incredibly busy in the run up to Christmas so the whole season would pass you by as you sat staring at a computer screen. Now that I have a Christmas Break I get to spend time with my family, it's almost like having Christmas when you were a child again.

I LOVE Christmas - the one time of the year when I don't have to do anything for anyone else only sit on me hole and eat and drink all round me! :D

Oh yeah, presents too, they're always nice :)

Google Images "david mann santa" for an idea of my mate delivering toys to hospital Christmas Eve on his Harley-Davidson. Ho ho ho!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Yes 25% social welfare bonus wooooo thank you everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Yes 25% social welfare bonus wooooo thank you everyone!

Gets you an extra pizza this year, how bad! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I don't know. I might buy myself a George Strait CD.

Advertisement