Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are you looking forward to christmas this year?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Lyger wrote: »
    Each year I vow to watch every version of A Christmas Carol possible. Haven't succeeded yet. It really does make the auld heart sing.

It's wonderful, isn't it? "Man," said the Ghost, "if man you be in heart, not adamant, forbear that wicked cant until you have discovered what the surplus is, and where it is. Will you decide what men shall live, what men shall die? It may be that in the sight of Heaven you are more worthless and less fit to live than millions like this poor man's child. O God! to hear the insect on the leaf pronouncing on the too much life among his hungry brothers in the dust!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Enjoyed it as a kid - pressies, food, sweets and a sneaky beer or a snowball :)

Teens and Twentys were good for the parties and general frollicking.

Now its all rather meh. Someone will have the idea (ffs they have it every year) of going to mass, I'll pull a face and be told "You don't have to, if you don't want to".

Roll on 2015 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Yep, I have always enjoyed it. There is always something nice about shopping around that time of year with the lights, and the music playing. I don't think it loses it's magic as you get older, it just changes from being about Santa, to families/friends catching up, to playing Santa for the kids.

Between school, college and my old job I always had a good break of at least two weeks off over the period and you could really get into the spirit of things. Last year I only started a new job and had 2 days off which was a bit of a downer, gonna make sure it doesn't happen this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

Working a toy shop so not really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Lyger

token56 wrote: »
    Working a toy shop so not really.
    Worked in a toy department the year of Tellytubbies. Crikey... war, I've seen it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

People go bananas spending money each year, losing the run of themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Working again this Christmas day but looking forward to the days around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭GalwayGirl26

Going away for Christmas this year, and tbh I think that'll be the plan for the next few. Really looking forward to it! The family aren't big into it, and I just think there's so much build up to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Very much so!

lufties wrote: »
    People go bananas spending money each year, losing the run of themselves
    Yeh that's the part I dislike. Not the buying loved ones gifts, but the hysteria and chaos.

• Advertisement

jimgoose wrote: »
    It's wonderful, isn't it? "Man," said the Ghost, "if man you be in heart, not adamant, forbear that wicked cant until you have discovered what the surplus is, and where it is. Will you decide what men shall live, what men shall die? It may be that in the sight of Heaven you are more worthless and less fit to live than millions like this poor man's child. O God! to hear the insect on the leaf pronouncing on the too much life among his hungry brothers in the dust!"
    I love the depiction of him (Ghost of Christmas Present) in film/animation as a cross between Jesus and Santa, and the way he's kindly and so on, but then gets kinda bad-ass with Scrooge... and as a violent fairy-godmother in Scrooged. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

I love that christmassy vibe around towns and cities, people happy and jolly drinking and being merry. Going for the odd pint here and there with friends. After christmas day its just boring..hate all the hysteria though and endless consuming. Think I will avoid telly and deactivate my fb account again this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Vojera wrote: »
    Yep, although it's the first year I'll be spending Christmas day away from my family and staying with the wife's instead. We went to my home place last year so it's only fair. It'll be some change though.

I go to my wife's home place every year...have done for over 10 years.

Always make out like I'm giving in, but secretly like it, no cooking, no prep and her mother is a great cook.

So stress free Christmas again this year!

boobar wrote: »
    I go to my wife's home place every year...have done for over 10 years.

Always make out like I'm giving in, but secretly like it, no cooking, no prep and her mother is a great cook.

So stress free Christmas again this year!

Ninja! Vanish!! :)

I love the depiction of him (Ghost of Christmas Present) in film/animation as a cross between Jesus and Santa, and the way he's kindly and so on, but then gets kinda bad-ass with Scrooge... and as a violent fairy-godmother in Scrooged. :D

I think he's actually supposed to be God. When I get around to playing him in the movie, I'll wear a $3,000 Boss suit and drive a Lamborghini Miura Jota! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

my mom died christmas morning 16 years ago. have very little memory of that christmas. just kept going because the kids were young.
    but it hasn't ruined it for us. she wouldn't have had us miserable at that time of year, so we always enjoy the season and remember the good times.

i do appreciate that it is a lonely time for a lot of people though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Thats my favourite Christmas tune , starting to get a bit Christmassy now.

I think he's actually supposed to be God.
    Ah ok. In the Muppets one, he's totally a Santa-like character, but makes references to the god/Jesus stuff about himself.
    In the version with George C. Scott as Scrooge, Edward Woodward plays him - totally Jesus-looking with a crown of holly, and wearing a Santa-esque suit.

Thats my favourite Christmas tune , starting to get a bit Christmassy now.
    As Bing sang himself... "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmaaaaas". ;)

Oh wait, it's not - it's 18th October. :p

But it is the time of year that you start thinking about it all right. :)

Ah ok. In the Muppets one, he's totally a Santa-like character, but makes references to the god/Jesus stuff about himself.
    In the version with George C. Scott as Scrooge, Edward Woodward plays him - totally Jesus-looking with a crown of holly, and wearing a Santa-esque suit.

I think the role needs a bit more "Fun-Lovin' Criminals". ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I'm looking back to the year Christmas Day and New Year's Day fell within the one calendar year. That was an awesome year.

This happens every year btw.

Never saw the appeal of Christmas, just another day of the year at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭frostypants

Christmas for me as a kid was filled with tayto cheese and onions sandwiches, coke and of course tins of roses watching a thousand hours of telly :)

Really looking forward to Christmas this year. Finished college finally, so the last four year was spent studying during the Christmas holidays.

So plenty beer and maybe tayto sandwiches and enjoying the family for the first real Christmas in years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,023 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

lufties wrote: »
    If I could get a few weeks off work I'd shag off to Asia somewhere in mid december and come back in january when its all over

No trying to rub it in but I'm doing exactly that...away to se Asia for a month on the 10th dec. I feckin hate Xmas so this is the first one in ages I'm actually looking forward to

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'm also looking forward to opening the presents after mass on Christmas Eve. It's a tradition in our house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Yes very much so, been away for most of the year with working and then studying abroad will be heading back a week before Christmas looking forward to really catching up with friends and family i haven't seen much of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Eh, sorta. Mainly for the food. I LOVE Christmas dinner and pigging out with tons of sweets and biscuits.

All the adults in my family have agreed not to do presents this year though cos its a pain in the hole, so I'm going to take the cash I was gonna spend on that and get myself something nice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I already decided last time I was home I'm not going to come home for christmas this year. I've always gone home for the sake of other people, mostly grandparents but now my grandmother is in a nursing home, wont even know it's christmas or be able to come out for it, so there's really no point to put myself through so much stress that wont even be appreciated by anyone. It always interferes with my studies anyway, I'll likely have exams before and after christmas. So this year I'll find something else to do here, maybe volunteer/find something useful to do on the day itself, looking forward to not going home now actually! I like the atmosphere that time of year, just not so much the family duty part, plus a cousin is getting married right after christmas this year, another reason not to go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

This will be my first Christmas in my new home so yes, I'm excited. :) I've never spent Christmas with my boyfriend either since we were always in different countries so I can't wait for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Hate it with a vengeance. I had great Christmases as a kid, so that is not the reason, I just think everyone is expected to act falsely or be considered killjoys. I do like the fact that my 2 sons make a concerted effort to spend time with my wife and I, but recently they have taken to enjoying foreign holidays at that time of year.

Personally, I enjoy spur of the moment festivities, not this never ending build up to the "big day"

• Advertisement

Was really looking forward to it this year, had a number of things planned to treat my girlfriend but alas she left a few weeks back meaning that all the planning was for nothing.

Advertisement