Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mam or Dad?

Options
  • 17-10-2014 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭

So which of your auld pair do you like more? Who do you get on with better? I have to say it's Mam for me. When I was living at home, we'd absolutely kill each but things are great now that I'm out, and there's the whole Irish Mammy thing. Dad's cool though, don't get me wrong.

Mam or Dad: Which of them do you prefer? 69 votes

Me Ma (I'm male)
    0% 0 votes
    Me Ma (I'm female)
    37% 26 votes
    Me Dad (I'm male)
    31% 22 votes
    Me Dad (I'm female)
    18% 13 votes
    N/A but I'll write a lovely post explaining it
    11% 8 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Birth giver.

Oh Lady, who sprung me from your loins, in tears and blood and a bit of **** on top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

c_man wrote: »
    Mam or Dad?

Neither.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

Jaysus....I though Daddy or chips was hard!! Now you're asking Daddy or Mammy!!!??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Me Ma's dead, so have to say me Da I suppose. He's grand, but some of his opinions on issues such as the Middle East are getting more and more extreme as he gets older.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Me and my mam get on great, I'm her only sane child!! My dad is very like me, and he's quiet and not much craic but he'd do anything for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Wheres the option for neither?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Dad I suppose, because he's not around as much. I still live at home and would really like some space from them, but no, my mam's always around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

My folks just separated after 49 years, she caught him in bed with someone half his age,

He turned into a bollix because he got caught, angry sad bastard,

He never had a good word to say about any of us over the years, she held the family together, so my mam, by far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

ye should love and treasure them equally and do as much as you can for them .i had a great relationship with my dad and he passed away a few weeks and i miss him terribly
    those of us with one or two loving parents dont know how lucky we are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

neither

I would have said my Dad before, I felt sorry for him putting up with my mother, but then I came to realise that he's a grown man and he choose that and his passivity and detachment is every bit as bad as her more obvious flaws. Example, my Dad could collect me from the bus after not being in touch for months while I'm not even in the country and he would say literally nothing the whole way home, on the other hand if my mother collected me she would still not ask anything about myself, but instead probably rant about her problems, tell me about other people that are doing so great while making as much digs as she can, I dunno which is preferable really.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Even though me and my mum argue like mad some times, I would be lost without her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I could never choose, they are so different and fill completely different roles in my life.

I remember chatting to friends when I was a child about which one you would choose to live with if they split up and I used to always say I would move to a "children's home" rather than pick one over the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Where's the option for both equally?. It's like asking which of your children you love most. If you love people unconditionally then all are equally loved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Where's the option for both equally?. It's like asking which of your children you love most. If you love people unconditionally then all are equally loved.

You might love them equally but I'm sure you like one a bit more than the other :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I'm with Elle, I could never choose.

I miss my Dad so much since he died though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

I love them both. They're far from perfect. They're currently getting divorced after 22 years of separation where they remained friends. The divorce is mainly to divide assets but all the accusations, blame and anger has resurfaced and none of us are prepared to take sides. Neither have been themselves lately because of it and there's very little you can do to help when that's all they're focused on.

The funny thing is, I used to think they were chalk and cheese but the older I get, the more similar they seem.

I was closer to my mam growing up because I lived with her and we were pretty much best friends before i moved out, but the last 5 years, my dad and I have had some great days and nights out. Planning to go see Ireland v Italy in Rome in rugby next Feb and see the sights with him. That will be special :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

ElleEm wrote: »
    I could never choose, they are so different and fill completely different roles in my life.

I remember chatting to friends when I was a child about which one you would choose to live with if they split up and I used to always say I would move to a "children's home" rather than pick one over the other.

Yea but who would choose AFTER five minutes in the children's home :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Yarf Yarf

I think I get along better with my mam. She's a bit of a worrier, but she's much easier to reason with than my dad and much more placid. I like spending time with her. My dad gets wound up very easily. He's gotten a bit better recently, but I still wouldn't want to spend any extended period of time under the same roof as him. A couple of weeks here and there is usually enough to stay on good terms. Any longer than that and we're driving each other up the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 babysock88

Mammy...love Dad and he's a good person but the close emotional bond with my mammy. I'm an only girl too so a bit spoiled or I was as a child! ( :

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Both. As someone said on this earlier they do fill different roles. I won't get in depth but when I think of my parents I don't think of them as 2 separate beings I think of them as one thing. My parents who I love and would do anything for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Me Ma's dead, so have to say me Da I suppose. He's grand, but some of his opinions on issues such as the Middle East are getting more and more extreme as he gets older.

I think eveyones opinions get more extreme as they get older.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Neither, I don't have a close emotional relationship with either of them. We get along fine but we are not close there is nothing beyond the surface of the relationships.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I would have to say my mother.
    We kind of get on, living in different countries and talking on the phone maybe once a month or so works well for us.
    My father on the other hand I haven't spoken to in well over 20 years now, and I have no desire whatsoever to change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

My mother. She's the one who actually raised me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Me Ma or Me Da ?!

Think you mean my Mum or my Dad but in any case my Dad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

c_man wrote: »
    You might love them equally but I'm sure you like one a bit more than the other :)

As one died 47 years ago and the other 21 years ago your assertion is incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

cloud493 wrote: »
    Wheres the option for neither?

And 'both'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Lalealea

Both. They are totally different people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Ya can't split up ma and da! They're like Bennifer, TomKat, Julina. Mam and Dad are one entity, Mad.

Advertisement