Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manhattan [WGN - US]

Options
  • 04-09-2013 10:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

This sounds brilliant!....a must watch imo!, its NOT Gossip Girl! or Revenge....its the Manhattan project!

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/09/04/wgn-america-orders-13-episodes-of-drama-manhattan/200869/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Tvbythenumbers+%28TVbytheNumbers%29

WGN America has ordered 13 episodes of the drama, written and created by Sam Shaw (Masters of Sex) who will serve as Executive Producer alongside EPs David Ellison, Dana Goldberg and Marcy Ross. Emmy Award®- winning director Thomas Schlamme (The West Wing, Sports Night) is attached to direct and will also serve as Executive Producer under his Shoe Money Productions banner. MANHATTAN will begin production in New Mexico this winter for a Summer 2014 premiere.

Set against the backdrop of the greatest clandestine race against time in the history of science – the mission to build the world’s first atomic bomb in Los Alamos, New Mexico – MANHATTAN follows the brilliant but flawed scientists and their families as they attempt to co-exist in a world where secrets and lies infiltrate every aspect of their lives.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,324 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

hopefully it doesn't BOMB!

eh! eh! see what I did there?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭kmurph

Sounds explosive.

I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

kmurph wrote: »
    Sounds explosive.

I'll get my coat.

your lab coat?

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 85,391 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Manhattan starts on WGN America on Sunday, July 27

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

so did anyone watch this yet, im kind of in two minds about it,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Watched the first episode. I'll stick with it for now. I know the amounts of secrets leaking and sleeping around actually happened. Just once it doesn't stray too far into Desperate Housewives territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,998 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I thought it was a solid start and the look of the previews for the rest of the season make it look worth the while.

• Advertisement

the pilot was engaging, would be trying a few more episodes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Gonna give this a shot tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Watched the first episode. I'll stick with it for now. I know the amounts of secrets leaking and sleeping around actually happened. Just once it doesn't stray too far into Desperate Housewives territory.

I don't really get the DH reference though I've heard others use it too.
    It seemed like a pretty tense, serious drama to me.I wasn't overwhelmed by ep1 but I'll give it another go as it seemed decent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I don't really get the DH reference though I've heard others use it too.
    It seemed like a pretty tense, serious drama to me.I wasn't overwhelmed by ep1 but I'll give it another go as it seemed decent enough.

The DH reference means descending into soap opera using the serious stuff as a background. Desperate Housewives was a soap with murder and betrayal running as background. This is centered on some very interesting characters facing a moral dilemma (who also had lives worthy of a soap).
    It'll be worth watching either way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The pilot's got a bunch of stuff and contrasts it wants you to be aware of. We've got the newbies, stressed out project leaders, mission objective, supply shortages, cost of war, gender divide, an abundance of intelligence/intellectual capability, but a lack of time. At one point, a frustrated teenager shouts 'everything's a secret!' Funny, since I recently read some analyses of other shows lately wherein the complaint noted the need to drop big neon sign to alert viewers to certain things. That, and there's a little bit of repetition of this show justifying itself.

Episode 2's an improvement - some predictable moments, but more flow to the storytelling, core story remains the primary focus and all drama - conflict. Plus there was a
    Krypton
    reference in there.

episode 3, fun quote
    dunlavey that shot sid liao " i don't swim well, it's landlocked where i'am from "

soldier " then you will be the 1st guy in history to drown in the desert "

Enjoyed this weeks episode, story is moving nicely on, its well acted and shot pretty well too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I like this show. Reminds me of Rubicon - in a good way. There's the main project, how hard everyone works, security, etc. There's also subversion, even some of the women are getting on board with that, which is good to see. The science involves some bumbling, progress, mistakes, the human cost, and equations. Then of course, we Frank Winter who'll go to bat for his team, whilst not being afraid to tell them that they're idiots. The Army is obsessed with compartmentalisation - a word that perhaps crops up a little too often. People know bits, but few if any are aware of the big picture, and things are afoot in certain quarters. The more background female characters are prostitutes or there for some casual sexism. Overall, there's a decent balance between the bomb aspect and human drama. Each time the story inches along, this week's being
    Site X, and ze Germans.
    It doesn't seem to need to rely on big reveals. John Carroll Lynch popped up this week, you might recognise him from The Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Must admit to enjoying this. The actor who plays the one armed colonel must be getting sick of being so typecast though. The only times I've seen him on screen sees him wearing some kind of US Military officers garb.

Thoroughly enjoying this show, well acted, well scripted, well shot and a plenty of intrigue. The final five episodes should be good judging by the mini preview.

• Advertisement

Yeah, hopefully. Interesting to see where it goes now that (1.08)
    Isaacs has approached Winter.

I'm up to 1.10 with this. I don't want to say too much, but I rather like it, for example Olivia Williams's character. You root for the core characters, and the secondary ones have their place, too. Then there's Richard Schiff who pops up infrequently and makes his G2 man's presence known. The business of secrets still burns brightly through the show. Might upset a few Christians due to some aspects, but they've got the morality question covered, also.

Another great episode this week, judging by the interest here its clearly a massively underrated show. Hopefully it will be picked up for a second series, i see the ratings arent particularly good so thats a worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭larchielads

Took a punt on this and really glad i did considerin there is bugger all else on. Boardwalk empire nearly over altogether so i needed a fix and this so far has filled it. Didnt watch episode 11 yet.
    I know this series is nearly over and have no idea if theres gonna be series 2. Hope so.

1.11 was good. The men have the bigger egos, naturally, but there's no BS about the women. The jigsaw continues to come together, though it's a little shredded, too. Richard Schiff's G2 man continues to his light in people's eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,391 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Another great episode this week, judging by the interest here its clearly a massively underrated show. Hopefully it will be picked up for a second series, i see the ratings arent particularly good so thats a worry.

Renewed

I really dont know how i feel about this show. Some episodes are brilliant and some are so dull. Hopefully it can get more consistent next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Raf32 wrote: »
    I really dont know how i feel about this show. Some episodes are brilliant and some are so dull. Hopefully it can get more consistent next season.

I feel the same - it's well made, great score from Jónsi and Alex, fine cast and yet...

It just lacks something and maybe that is direction - maybe it's the fact that we know the ultimate outcome, but I watch it out of loyalty rather than love.

• Advertisement

evilivor wrote: »
    I feel the same - it's well made, great score from Jónsi and Alex, fine cast and yet...

It just lacks something and maybe that is direction - maybe it's the fact that we know the ultimate outcome, but I watch it out of loyalty rather than love.

Sums it up for me as well. Surprised to see it kept on tbh.

Advertisement