Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

moving into my boyfriends farm...

• 14-10-2014 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22 kilkenny46

I am going to move in with my bfriend soon to his farmhouse,his parents live in another section of the house.I am a secondary school teacher and i have been told by a few people in the same situation that their boyfriends parents wanted a donation of €40,000 beforw this happened,is this the norm?Im not from a farm so i dont know thanks in advance for your advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Tell your boyfriend to move in with you !!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,863 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

kilkenny46 wrote: »
    I am going to move in with my bfriend soon to his farmhouse,his parents live in another section of the house.I am a secondary school teacher and i have been told by a few people in the same situation that their boyfriends parents wanted a donation of €40,000 beforw this happened,is this the norm?Im not from a farm so i dont know thanks in advance for your advice
    what is the 40k for?

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

run

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

[mod] That's a completely distasteful comment and absolutely no credit to you. [/mod]

Told by a few people but not your boyfriend or his family?

I've never heard of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I've never heard of this 40k before, what happens if you split up with him after a while do you wave goodbye to your 40k :eek: Wouldn't it be a great way to boost farm income keep bringing in different women charge them 40k get rid and shout next :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

What?

If this 'donation' ever comes up in conversation, tell your boyfriend to sort it out and if he can't, then leave...

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

It's all to do with "the land". You need to show that you are a person of substance and that any offspring will have good bloodlines. Secondary school teacher sounds OK. Complications arise if, for instance, the heir to a farm falls for a girl from "the terrace" in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kilkenny46

curioser wrote: »
    It's all to do with "the land". You need to show that you are a person of substance and that any offspring will have good bloodlines. Secondary school teacher sounds OK. Complications arise if, for instance, the heir to a farm falls for a girl from "the terrace" in the town.

Im from a nice housing estate near the town,i have my own wages definitely dnt need any land!!!!John yep thats a selection of true stories ive heard

Epfff you did right i didnt think that went on looking for money

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I've never heard of that 'custom' in over two decades of working in the countryside in several parts of the country.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Wind up.
    Pure and simple.

(If not a wind up, run like hell.)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭smokey-fitz

Em I think, maybe just maybe your friend is taking the p**s

Im from a nice housing estate near the town,i have my own wages definitely dnt need any land!!!!John yep thats a selection of true stories ive heard
    You miss my point, but the best of luck anyway.

Em I think, maybe just maybe your friend is taking the p**s

Im only quoting what she told me thats what a few people had to do that she knew

You miss my point, but the best of luck anyway.

What part am i missing curioser??were you taking the piss

If you are serious, and his parents are seriously looking 40k (how do you get on with them, by the way?) then either your boyfriend needs a slap upside the head, or you need to find somebody else.
    ( you haven't been leaving Nursing Home brochures lying around, have you?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭epfff

My great granny supposedly paid £300 to get into our family 100 plus yrs ago
    It was the tradition at tje time
    Bigger the farm the more the father of the bride had to pay to secure her future their/get her into wealth

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭mf240

Run . Run away quite fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭smokey-fitz

Im only quoting what she told me thats what a few people had to do that she knew

I know, I was just been a smart arse so no offence..

I and alot of others never heard anything of the sort, so thats why I'd think she was having a laugh. Also I'm sure your boyfriend would of mentioned this before, so I think you have nothing to worry about :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

Dowry all the go years ago.
    However if you take good care of your partner and help out farming wise I'm sure that will be enough

No urine extraction intended. The point is, if the requirement to pony up is genuine, the purpose is to establish your substance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Dowry all the go years ago.
    However if you take good care of your partner and help out farming wise I'm sure that will be enough

You don't have to life one finger on the farm if you don't want to.

You don't have to life one finger on the farm if you don't want to.

I farm with him anytime im there and for calfing etc im up in the night and school during the day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

No urine extraction intended. The point is, if the requirement to pony up is genuine, the purpose is to establish your substance.

If a dowry is needed to establish substance then perhaps they shouldn't be moving in together.
    Things may or may not work out long term but presumably if they're moving in together they should know each other pretty well and therefore know about substance or otherwise.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

[mod]I think we've had the entire gambit of possible jokes. The question seems genuine so let's keep the answers helpful please.[/mod]

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Howdoes somebody with 16 posts only have 7 show up?

Nekarsulm wrote: »

I had this in personal but the mod told me to move it over here lads its an honest question im serious about asking the questions

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

I had this in personal but the mod told me to move it over here lads its an honest question im serious about asking the questions
    Answer; Its not the norm.

/thread

• Advertisement

Nekarsulm wrote: »

The number of posts is correct, I presume posts in certain other forums don't appear in searches.

Adam Grant

Advertisement