Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notifications & Dropdowns not working in Chrome browser

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I'm using Chrome on Windows 7. I'm not having the same problem but it's something similar. The drop downs appear when I move the mouse over them, the one for notifications/profile settings works fine however when I go to the My Forums drop down it appears but it is blank i.e. none of the forums I'm subscribe to show up just a blank box. They seem to appear after a period of time and this period of time seems to be random (haven't properly checked as it takes ages for them to appear). This just started happening yesterday or Thursday, it works fine when I log into the site on Firefox on this machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Happening to me also and none of the usual fix the issue.

Could it be a glitch with one of the servers. If I leave the drop down box open its starts to populate after about 16/18 seconds, it usually stops after filling about 1/4 of 1/2 of the menu and if I select one of my forums the rest of the menu completes just as the page refreshes to the new forum.

Anyone else see this behaviour.

Using chrome 38.0.2125.102 on android 4.1.1.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

There's a number of recent complaints about the same thing, and there's a thread in site development about it:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057289289

Unfortunately site dev has been abandoned for several months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Vexorg wrote: »
    Happening to me also and none of the usual fix the issue.

Could it be a glitch with one of the servers. If I leave the drop down box open its starts to populate after about 16/18 seconds, it usually stops after filling about 1/4 of 1/2 of the menu and if I select one of my forums the rest of the menu completes just as the page refreshes to the new forum.

Anyone else see this behaviour.

Using chrome 38.0.2125.102 on android 4.1.1.

Slightly different behaviour on PC. After around the same amount of time it still looks blank but on mousing over the blank area it will populate with the forum list. It populates the full list for me though.

Chrome: 38.0.2125.101 m on Win 7 64bit

nesf wrote: »
    Slightly different behaviour on PC. After around the same amount of time it still looks blank but on mousing over the blank area it will populate with the forum list. It populates the full list for me though.

Chrome: 38.0.2125.101 m on Win 7 64bit
    More or less the same thing is happening to me too except moving the mouse over the area doesn't always populate the list. I'm using Chrome 38.0.2125.101 m on Windows 7 32 bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

Works for me on Chrome.

One thing that annoys me about Google Chrome is on Firefox, I can use the mouse scroll button on a person's username to open their profile in a new tab, but this doesn't work with Chrome; instead, it gives you a drop-down menu. Then when I use the scroll button on "View Public Profile" on the drop-down menu, it just navigates to the person's profile instead of opening a new tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

"My Forums" not working for me - Chrome on OSX Mavericks

324835.png

• Registered Users Posts: 42,084 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

My Forums drop down not working for me as well. Using Chrome on Windows 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Same here. FF on Kubuntu.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Spear wrote: »
    There's a number of recent complaints about the same thing, and there's a thread in site development about it:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057289289

Unfortunately site dev has been abandoned for several months now.

Thanks for that feedback. Why is it being ignored?

Not working for me on either Chrome or IE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Same for me - on Chrome, My Forums is just coming up blank. If I double click, or wait about 20 seconds, I can get it working, but then the next time I go there it's the same again.

This is unbelievably annoying, and what's more annoying is that so many people seem to be experiencing the same thing, and we're getting no information as to whether anyone is even aware of our complaints, looking into it, has an explanation, or whatever. There is at least one thread in Site Development about this as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Yup having the same issue with Chrome, thought it was a problem on my end but seeing as others are having the same issue methinks something has gone wonky with the coding somewhere. Not a major issue but still a mild irritant I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Happening here too. And it is amazingly annoying as that was a very handy feature. I have not upgraded chrome recently and if boards is not doing any coding at the moment then I dont understand what could have changed.

Chrome on Win 7.

Works fine on IE on the same pc...but who wants to use IE?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

Same here ... Chrome W7

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Oh good, technophobe here and having the same problem. Thought it was an issue with my ancient laptop. Use Chrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Same on all browsers :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Chiming in, same here. Chrome 38.0.2125.101 on fresh install of w7.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,718 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Noticed this last night on my phone - HTC One (M7) Chrome 38.0.2125.102; Android v, 4.4.3.

Can provide more info if it's any use.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Happening for me on my work laptop (W7) but not at home on W8.1

Same build of Chrome, AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,784 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

TrueDub wrote: »
    Happening for me on my work laptop (W7) but not at home on W8.1

Same build of Chrome, AFAIK.

Same for me - except I'm not sure of the Chrome builds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Hi I have the same issue in Firefox, Windows 7

The forum lists will drop down but the User panel and the "my Forums" list will not drop down when you hover over them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I've given the admins a nudge so that hopefully someone from the office will check this.

Edit: an admin has acknowleged it and it's flagged for the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

I have the issue on chrome but not on firefox, This is what im seeing on chrome

325093.jpg

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

This is potentially related to the 'Stay logged in' box when logging in - if you don't tick box, the My Forums and Control Panel drop down menu do not work as they should; if you do tick it, they work properly.

If people could check that out and see if it makes a difference for you, that would be great. That was just the conclusion after a quick look this evening. We think Andres may have looked at this issue previously but he is out of the office this week; we'll try asking him tomorrow and hopefully he will have a quick fix/recommendation for it. If not, we will look into a fix but it may be another little while as Pablo is working alone at the moment.

In the meantime, if checking that box does or does not make a difference, let us know. Thanks for your patience on this :)

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I've always ticked that box - at home and in work. Seeing same issue on both PCs - both using Chrome. I just tested what Vexorg noticed - after about 10ish seconds if I move the mouse around the box all the forums appear as soon as I mouseover them. But not until about 10 seconds after opening the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

That makes it worse for me niamh,I log out and go back in unticking stay logged in and when i hover over the username and My Forums theres nothing happening, Now find it hard to find the log out button.

Yeah same here, already had that box ticked when I was logging in - just double checked it to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Tried it, logged out, cleared chrome cache, cookies , etc. Logged back in with "stayed logged in" selected, my forums menu is empty.

Installed opera, and menus work fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

That didn't make any difference for me, either. The Stay Logged In box is always ticked for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement