Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notifications & Dropdowns not working in Chrome browser

Options
  • 13-09-2014 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭

Hi

Not sure if you can help me wth this but, suddenly and for no reason i can think of some of the dropdowns no longer work for me on the site when i use the Chrome browser.

All the dropdowns from the category tabs across the top work fine but the Notifications box no longer appears, the dropdown under my username with threads, private message etc doesn't appear and neither does the dropdown under "My Forums"!

I now have to click the small arrow beside both to go directly to the pages to see the threads with new posts.

Any ideas what is causing this, everything works fine in Firefox but i prefer to use Chrome. This is really annoying though :(

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I'm the same.

I get a blank menu when I hover over where it says "My Forums."

aZK33Pk.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Happens from time to time to me also. clearing the browser cache and a browser restart fixes the problem here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I'm using regular Chrome, it's still broken :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

fine on my chrome

• Registered Users Posts: 60,301 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Not working for me today on Chrome either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,301 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Checked on IE and Firefox not working on either of them for me.

I wonder did I change some settings by mistake the only drop downs that don't work are on my Screen Name and My Forums I also lost the number of fourms following that have replies.

All other drop downs work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Having the same problem here across IE, Firefox and Opera. Tried resetting the appearance options to default then clearing the cache and restarting the browser but it had no affect.

Also, the reading area reset to normal width rather than full width at the same time the dropdowns stopped working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Same problem for myself on chrome

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,074 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved to site dev as I think there's enough of a body of reports to warrant it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Same issue here.

- No notification box.
    - No dropdown menu on my username or My Forums.
    - Cosy mode no longer working, stuck on full padding.

This is happening on 5 separate machines that I've been using over the past week or two. Have tried clearing cache and all that stuff to no avail.

Here're the diagnostics:

Operating System: Windows 7
    User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/38.0.2125.101 Safari/537.36
    Your Browser
    Javascript Enabled: Yes
    Cookies Enabled: Yes
    Java Enabled: Yes
    Flash Version: 15.0 r0 installed
    Your Resolution
    Screen: 1600 x 900
    Current Browser: 1600 x 775
    Colour: 24 bit
    Our Server
    Date/Time: Wednesday 08th of October 2014, 22:58:26
    Name: www.boards.ie (janice)

Not working in IE either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

For me, My Forums won't give the drop down list unless I click it twice, even then it's slow (Chrome)

Seems okay with Firefox.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Tested on Firefox here in college. Broken as well for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I've seen it broken on on multiple firefox versions (ESR & normal channels), as well as chrome. All running Win 7.

Also not working on firefox running on Linux.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

This issue resolved itself for me for a while but has come back again over the last 2 weeks on two separate computers that I use and is now not only on Chrome but Firefox too?

Still no response or acknowledgement from a system admin/dev on this thread however?? I thought that's what the "sys" forum is for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Same issue here in Chrome on W7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The 'My Forums' list is completely empty for me, on Chrome/W7 x64. I think everything else is ok, just no list of followed forums (the drop down appears but is completely blank)

Myrddin wrote: »
    The 'My Forums' list is completely empty for me, on Chrome/W7 x64. I think everything else is ok, just no list of followed forums (the drop down appears but is completely blank)

This reminds me, I forgot to say it in my original post, but the My Forums tab on the homepage is completely blank for me. Other tabs are fine. When this started about a week or two ago, I used to be able to fix the issue by refreshing the page, but that has stopped working now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

The My Forums dropdown is broken for me too - regular Chrome on Win 7 and this is the first time I've see this crop up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Same here. It must have something to do with the Chrome update the other day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Hi,

Over the last couple of days, the My Forums dropdown list is blank for me when using Chrome - it's there when I access the Site using IE.

I've cleared my cache etc but no joy.

Any idea if this is a bug (I doubt it) or if I've done something stupid (much more likely)?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Sorry, I've just seen that this issue is reported in another thread. Feel free to close or merge this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Same here. It must have something to do with the Chrome update the other day.

It's not just chrome that's affected.

It looks like it could be something funky with the html, for instance the dropdown arrow next to the username points to /vbulletin/usercp.php so it loads that page rather than producing the dropdown (or did they just open on hover, it's been so long I can't remember :p).

It's not just chrome that's affected.

It looks like it could be something funky with the html, for instance the dropdown arrow next to the username points to /vbulletin/usercp.php so it loads that page rather than producing the dropdown (or did they just open on hover, it's been so long I can't remember :p).

They opened on hover. The link to the CP was always behind there IIRC.

You'd imagine it has to be something on Boards' side since it's affecting loads of different browsers (IE, Chrome and FF for me on various machines anyway).

Did Dav go messing around with the system again before going on holidays? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Being gone for me on my mac using Chrome the last few days, chrome on my android tab just updated and now it has the problem as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Is there currently a drop down issue with the user profile? In the top right corner where user name is listed next to my forums the drop down menu isn't active for both selections.

Running chrome on PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

same here, OS X on safari.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

working fine for me (IE on win7) , its not a traditional drop down (as in click to get options) but more of a mouseover effect.

you don't have scripts disabled for the site?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Working fine for me, FF, windows 8.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

LoLth wrote: »
    working fine for me (IE on win7) , its not a traditional drop down (as in click to get options) but more of a mouseover effect.

you don't have scripts disabled for the site?

Ya, that's what I mean. It has always been a mouseover effect dropdown, at least on my last log in 5 days ago.

Now however the arrow is visible but when I hover over it there is nothing happening. I checked chrome settings and 'allow all sites to run JavaScript (recommended)' is checked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Same thing happening here. Using Chrome.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement