Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Biggest cinema screen in Ireland?

• 09-10-2014 10:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering where this was, and if for the experience it was worth it, for a really big film or whatever, if not closeby.

I remember the big fella in liffey vally was pretty big?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

I thought the Savoy on o'connell street had a massive screen.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Screen 17 in Cineworld is the biggest as far as i know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Vue (1 and 2) and the Savoy 1 are still the biggest. Which one is larger depends on the aspect ratio of the film, as the Savoy is 2.35:1 and Vue is 1.85:1, so the Savoy can show scope-shot films without letterboxing.

The experience in Vue is generally very good, though image quality can be a mixed bag. The big screens are really huge and are 4k equipped, but they have a tendency to show 2D films in their 3D screens, where the picture is substantially dimmed by the 3D filters that they aren’t able to remove.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

So its between Vue 1&2, Savoy screen 1 and Cineworld 17.

i should start a poll :P

What about this new fancy one in Cork?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Didn't Cineworld claim they have the biggest screen in Ireland with the iMax? If not then why is this called Imax and the bigger screens elsewhere are just regular screens?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

The IMAX screen is squarer in shape which should be taken into account. So scenes that aren't shot in IMAX just take up the middle.

Screen 9 in Cineworld is huge too and it's proper 2.35:1.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Didn't Cineworld claim they have the biggest screen in Ireland with the iMax? If not then why is this called Imax and the bigger screens elsewhere are just regular screens?

It’s IMAX branded. The licensing is very expensive and restrictive. Hence all the faux-IMAX rip-offs like iSense and OmniMAXX, which are really the same thing. I’m surprised Vue hasn’t come up with their own yet.

so this omniplexmaxx in Rathmines how would that rate?

"A minimum OmniplexMAXX screen measures 15 meters in ‘Flat’ ratio or over 20 meters in ‘Scope’ ratio. We curve the screen by 5% for optimum ’light gain’ and to achieve a more even spread of light."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

As far as I know Mahon Point's Maxx screen (Formerly screen 1) is 21m wide and 8m high, giving a diagonal of 22.47m. Surprised there doesn't appear to be easily available reliable info on exact screen sizes throughout the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Always thought Savoy had the biggest myself....?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

savoy or vue, bigger than the imax one I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Pretty sure it's Savoy 1.

Pretty sure it's Savoy 1.

I see on another site the Savoy 1 being 70ft (21.33mtrs) so that means the Mahon point one would be bigger...

But there should be an easier way to find this info

This is the best I’ve come up with over the years. I don’t know how accurate they are. And it doesn’t take account of aspect ratios. Having a bigger screen means nothing if most of it is unused.

Savoy 1 - 21.4 x 6.8 m (most of the width is obviously unused, even for scope films)
    Screen 17/IMAX in Cineworld - previously 17.1 x 7.3 m, current dimensions unknown (they expanded it a bit to meet IMAX standards. it’s now flat)
    iSense Odeon Point Village - 17.6 x 8.8m
    Mahon Point/OmniMaxx - 21 x 8 m (Not sure about these, the site says this screen is flat - is it?)
    Ster Century/Vue in Liffey Valley - 195 square metres (Somebody good at maths might be able to calculate this, but I guess it’s at least 19 metres wide)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Man ejected from large cinema for disrupting movie with Surveyor's wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Arkaron

So, Interstellar is supposed to be released in 70mm IMAX for a couple of days before expanding to digital everywhere, if I understand things right? Any clue as to where we might get a chance to see it in that format?

Arkaron wrote: »
    So, Interstellar is supposed to be released in 70mm IMAX for a couple of days before expanding to digital everywhere, if I understand things right? Any clue as to where we might get a chance to see it in that format?

The BFI IMAX in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Arkaron

I meant in Ireland, but I gather from your post that we're pretty much punked, then. :(

Arkaron wrote: »
    I meant in Ireland, but I gather from your post that we're pretty much punked, then. :(

Yes, unless it's shown early in 35mm somewhere.

It would be very nice if the Lighthouse got it in 35MM early, but I'm not holding out tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

on the Odeon website it said

Blanchardstown ISENSE
    Screen Size - 9.1m high x 18.9m wide.

Point Village ISENSE
    Screen Size - 9.2m high x 18m wide.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

They should make the information freely available on their sites and tickets stating the screen size, sound setup and the projectors resolution and aspect ratio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭beaker

This is the best I’ve come up with over the years. I don’t know how accurate they are. And it doesn’t take account of aspect ratios. Having a bigger screen means nothing if most of it is unused.

Savoy 1 - 21.4 x 6.8 m (most of the width is obviously unused, even for scope films)
    Screen 17/IMAX in Cineworld - previously 17.1 x 7.3 m, current dimensions unknown (they expanded it a bit to meet IMAX standards. it’s now flat)
    iSense Odeon Point Village - 17.6 x 8.8m
    Mahon Point/OmniMaxx - 21 x 8 m (Not sure about these, the site says this screen is flat - is it?)
    Ster Century/Vue in Liffey Valley - 195 square metres (Somebody good at maths might be able to calculate this, but I guess it’s at least 19 metres wide)

Rathmines/OmniMaxx - 19 x 8m

According to this review of the cinema. Compares surprisingly well to the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Dundrum never seems to get mentioned. Anyone know the size in Screen 1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭wotausername

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Mahon point Maxx screen is the biggest, and its flat

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Pretty sad how cinemas screen information isn't just freely and easily available in Ireland. And how we don't even have a proper IMAX screen, not like the digital one in Dublin. Hopefully cineworld push to be one of the early IMAX screens to receive the new IMAX laser projectors. Although even then their screen is still pretty small in comparison to international standards.

Maybe it's larger in person but that really doesn't look all that special.

Ah maybe it is then: http://www.carlow-nationalist.ie/2015/04/17/carlow-imc-cinema-unveils-biggest-screen-in-ireland/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,716 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Biggest isn't best I've found. A lot of the bigger screens opening these days have all these gimmicky digital projectors and sound systems with nonsense branding, seemingly designed so they can charge more for tickets than necessarily improving the cinema experience. I'd take a 35mm or 70mm equipped medium sized cinema over them any day of the week, and most of those screens are reserved for an endless parade of bland blockbusters anyway. They can boast of high resolution and high fidelity, but I haven't found one worthy of the premium yet.

For my money Savoy 1 and Lighthouse 1 remain the best screens in Dublin. The former for its majestic old school cinema design, the latter because it's a high quality screen that doesn't overwhelm. As Goldilocks would say, it's just right ;)

• Advertisement

Lighthouse 1 is like the IFI's main screen minus the neck strain and leg cramping. It's so perfect. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

e_e wrote: »
    Lighthouse 1 is like the IFI's main screen minus the neck strain and leg cramping. It's so perfect. :)

I watched "Us" yesterday in Lighthouse 1. Have to say, I agree with above completely.

For reference, I've been in Carlow's Galactic screen a good few times, which measures a staggering 60ft by 25ft but felt much preferred Lighthouse 1.

Its a much sharper image, and the sound system is excellent. The screen is curved, so it gives a wrap around effect. There were a few panning shots in the movie where I felt the image was transitioning around me.

I'd love to know what size it is. All this cinema screensize information should be readily available tbf :mad:

-edit
    oops, bumping a very old thread :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I watched "Us" yesterday in Lighthouse 1. Have to say, I agree with above completely.

For reference, I've been in Carlow's Galactic screen a good few times, which measures a staggering 60ft by 25ft but felt much preferred Lighthouse 1.

Its a much sharper image, and the sound system is excellent. The screen is curved, so it gives a wrap around effect. There were a few panning shots in the movie where I felt the image was transitioning around me.

I'd love to know what size it is. All this cinema screensize information should be readily available tbf :mad:

-edit
    oops, bumping a very old thread :/

I agree. Cineworld used to have the size of all there screens outside each one. Not sure if they still do. Every cinema should do it do.

Have you ever been the the Galactic screen in Mullingar? Its quite good.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »

I agree. Cineworld used to have the size of all there screens outside each one. Not sure if they still do. Every cinema should do it do.

Have you ever been the the Galactic screen in Mullingar? Its quite good.

Hey. No just been to the Galactic screen in Carlow, but I imagine because of the galactic trademark, they should all be the same size(?)

Booked my "Avengers: EndGame" tickets for the Imax screen in Cineworld in Parnell Street. I don't think Ive seen a movie specifically shot in Imax format before, so I'm looking forward to that.

Ms

Hey. No just been to the Galactic screen in Carlow, but I imagine because of the galactic trademark, they should all be the same size(?)

Booked my "Avengers: EndGame" tickets for the Imax screen in Cineworld in Parnell Street. I don't think Ive seen a movie specifically shot in Imax format before, so I'm looking forward to that.

Ye maybe all there Galactic screens are the same size. A pity they got rid of the one in the Savoy.

The Imax screen in Cineworld is a great screen alright. I don't go there much now do because most of the films shown in that screen are 3D and I don't do 3D. Am always looking out for 2D films to see in it do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

AMKC wrote: »
    Ye maybe all there Galactic screens are the same size. A pity they got rid of the one in the Savoy.

The Imax screen in Cineworld is a great screen alright. I don't go there much now do because most of the films shown in that screen are 3D and I don't do 3D. Am always looking out for 2D films to see in it do.

Liemax I take it? Are there any proper imax cinemas left anywhere at this stage? Last “imax” I was in was the BFI in London and thought that was a bit disappointing, wasn’t sure what it actually was. It didn't give me that sense of vertigo which I’d get from the old giant ones.

• Advertisement

Liemax I take it? Are there any proper imax cinemas left anywhere at this stage? Last “imax” I was in was the BFI in London and thought that was a bit disappointing, wasn’t sure what it actually was. It didn't give me that sense of vertigo which I’d get from the old giant ones.

I absolutely agree, they need to drop that branding or IMax need to require a minimum screensize before people can use it.
    I went to see Tomb Rader in the Lincoln Square Imax that is 100 feet by 80 feet. Now that was massive.

Even the IMax format doesnt look right to me. 22:11 looks more like the human visual perception IMO. I think Imax was developed for nature documentaries and the like, but just stuck around.

I dont see the massive benefit of the included content below

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yNDkvNzcwL2kwMi9FbmRnYW1lSW1heC5wbmc=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Shred

I was looking to book Endgame earlier in the week and trying to decide where to go, it really needs to be a decent sized screen. I'm ideally looking for a Saturday morning show to try and avoid the usual phone using/chair kicking/feet on chairs/talking at full volume assholes and looked at the following:

Movies at Swords - the screens are just too small
    Odeon Point ('iSense' - the Liemaxiest of all Liemaxes); it's available alright but it'd cost circa €45 for 3 tickets at 10am (one is a child) - absolute robbing gits!
    Cineworld - 3d Liemax; so that's out
    Savoy - I couldn't be arsed since they carved it up
    Vue - it's showing on something like screen 10 - screw that. I saw Alien Covenant in screen 12 (iirc) there and it was like someone's sitting room.
    The Lighthouse - they don't have it.

Cinema in Dublin really has gone to shít.

Where is there a decent large screen showing movies in 2d these days, even if it's a bit outside Dublin, and where is the actual biggest screen in Ireland now out of curiosity?

Shred wrote: »
    I was looking to book Endgame earlier in the week and trying to decide where to go, it really needs to be a decent sized screen. I'm ideally looking for a Saturday morning show to try and avoid the usual phone using/chair kicking/feet on chairs/talking at full volume assholes and looked at the following:

Odeon Point ('iSense' - the Liemaxiest of all Liemaxes); it's available alright but it'd cost circa €45 for 3 tickets at 10am (one is a child) - absolute robbing gits!
    Vue - it's showing on something like screen 10 - screw that. I saw Alien Covenant in screen 12 (iirc) there and it was like someone's sitting room.

Where is there a decent large screen showing movies in 2d these days, even if it's a bit outside Dublin, and where is the actual biggest screen in Ireland now out of curiosity?

I'm open to correction on this, but the biggest 2d screen in Ireland is the Galactic Screen 1 in Carlow. (I don't know if all "galactic" screens are the same size)

https://carlow-nationalist.ie/2015/04/17/carlow-imc-cinema-unveils-biggest-screen-in-ireland/

Its 60ft by 25ft and more fitting to the 2.39:1 cinema widescreen format. Should be quiet enough on a Saturday morning too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭tommythecat

I have to say that the maxx screen 1 in rathmines is very large and it also had Dolby atmos so the sound is really great in there. And usually in 2d. I think it is 62 by 26ft. I managed to get a half day off work last week and was the sole occupant of the screen for Captain Marvel, It was glorious.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

I'm open to correction on this, but the biggest 2d screen in Ireland is the Galactic Screen 1 in Carlow. (I don't know if all "galactic" screens are the same size)

https://carlow-nationalist.ie/2015/04/17/carlow-imc-cinema-unveils-biggest-screen-in-ireland/

Its 60ft by 25ft and more fitting to the 2.39:1 cinema widescreen format. Should be quiet enough on a Saturday morning too...

Ok sound, that's a decent sized screen alright.

• Advertisement

I have to say that the maxx screen 1 in rathmines is very large and it also had Dolby atmos so the sound is really great in there. And usually in 2d. I think it is 62 by 26ft. I managed to get a half day off work last week and was the sole occupant of the screen for Captain Marvel, It was glorious.

Nice one, I'll check that out.

Ms

I love having a whole cinema screen just to oneself. Then I can laugh as load as I want, cry change seats, etc. I went see ''Battleship'' when it came out years ago and had the whole cinema to myself. I though I was going to have a whole cinema too myself for ''First Flight'' but not so unfortunately.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Adren

Been trying to figure this out for Endgame. What I've got so far:

Endgame was intentionally shot by the directors on a new camera called ARRI ALEXA 65, which can capture the image in IMAX digital ratio 1.90:1 in 6k. The movie is being released in Scope (2.39 : 1) too obviously.

The IMAX cinemas in Dublin (Parnell St. and Blanchardstown) are official IMAX screens, so regardless of their size, they will definitely show Endgame in the aspect ratio the director wanted you to see Endgame in.

Two problems present themselves for the IMAX showing of Endgame:

1. Resolution:

IMAX projectors use 2x 2k resolution cameras, to give the perceived resolution of 2.9k. Only in London Leicester Square will you get IMAX dual projection laser 4k

2. Possibly Only 3D

I have been told by Cineworld that they will not be showing Endgame in 2D. And Blanchardstown were unable to confirm if they would eventually show it in 2D.

Solutions: (I don't like 3D)

1. iSense have 4k projectors, Dolby Atmos, and their screens are 16 x 8, allowing for 2:1 aspect ratio, which allows for the IMAX aspect ratio of 1.9:1

However the question is, will they actually show the movie in that aspect ratio? It's possible they will only show it in 2.39:1, as I'm guessing IMAX have the rights over the other aspect ratio. Does anyone have any insight into this?

I'm just wondering as well, if the screens in iSense are 2:1 ratio, and most films are scope, what are they are they ever doing with that space at the top and bottom?

Regarding MAXX Rathmines I don't know if their projectors are 2k or 4k, or the aspect ratio of their screens.

My understanding is that iSense gets the same digital print that every other cinema gets. So in this case, 4k and scope 2.35:1. IMAX is a proprietary format, so they aren't going to help out a faux IMAX competitor.

MAXX Rathmines is a scope screen. Check earlier in the thread for exact dimensions, but as i recall it's about the same width as iSense, maybe a bit wider.

I wouldn't place much so much importance on screen size personally. Projection quality/brightness is far more important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Vue in Ashbourne. Just off M2 and 15 mins from M50. I remember reading that it had the largest screen in Leinster outside of Dublin.

It's going through the rebrand process so there's a lot of work to be done in the lobby and the service can be slow but they have an ongoing promotion.

Every movie, every day €4.99.

I should add that it's in a pretty boring retail park , which is handy for parking but nowhere nearby for grub if you're trying to kill an extra hour or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Adren

Projection quality/brightness is far more important.

Hey Sad Professor, on that note, setting aside the fact that it seems unlikely that we will be able to see Endgame in 2D IMAX, would you recommend IMAX(3D) projection or iSense / MAXX projection?

Edit:

Actually just came across this regarding IMAX projectors:

The two 2K images are projected superimposed on each other with a half-pixel offset, using super-resolution imaging to increase the perceived resolution to approximately 2.9K. For 3D presentations, one projector is used to display the image for each eye, while 2D presentations use the superimposed images to allow for a brighter 22-foot lambert image.

So it seems, since for 3D they cannot superimpose the image to give the extra brightness, it looks like 3D IMAX is a no go really re: brightness. But resolution should still be a percieved 2.9k for 3D, if I've understood it correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

Rathmines alos has one of the smallest screens in Ireland that is around the same size as the screen you would see in your local pub to show sporting events.

With screens that small its kind of pointless going to the cinema if you have a half decent home cinema system.

Advertisement