Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Biggest cinema screen in Ireland?

• 09-10-2014 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering where this was, and if for the experience it was worth it, for a really big film or whatever, if not closeby.

I remember the big fella in liffey vally was pretty big?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

I thought the Savoy on o'connell street had a massive screen.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Screen 17 in Cineworld is the biggest as far as i know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Vue (1 and 2) and the Savoy 1 are still the biggest. Which one is larger depends on the aspect ratio of the film, as the Savoy is 2.35:1 and Vue is 1.85:1, so the Savoy can show scope-shot films without letterboxing.

The experience in Vue is generally very good, though image quality can be a mixed bag. The big screens are really huge and are 4k equipped, but they have a tendency to show 2D films in their 3D screens, where the picture is substantially dimmed by the 3D filters that they aren’t able to remove.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

So its between Vue 1&2, Savoy screen 1 and Cineworld 17.

i should start a poll :P

What about this new fancy one in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Didn't Cineworld claim they have the biggest screen in Ireland with the iMax? If not then why is this called Imax and the bigger screens elsewhere are just regular screens?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

The IMAX screen is squarer in shape which should be taken into account. So scenes that aren't shot in IMAX just take up the middle.

Screen 9 in Cineworld is huge too and it's proper 2.35:1.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Didn't Cineworld claim they have the biggest screen in Ireland with the iMax? If not then why is this called Imax and the bigger screens elsewhere are just regular screens?

It’s IMAX branded. The licensing is very expensive and restrictive. Hence all the faux-IMAX rip-offs like iSense and OmniMAXX, which are really the same thing. I’m surprised Vue hasn’t come up with their own yet.

so this omniplexmaxx in Rathmines how would that rate?

"A minimum OmniplexMAXX screen measures 15 meters in ‘Flat’ ratio or over 20 meters in ‘Scope’ ratio. We curve the screen by 5% for optimum ’light gain’ and to achieve a more even spread of light."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

As far as I know Mahon Point's Maxx screen (Formerly screen 1) is 21m wide and 8m high, giving a diagonal of 22.47m. Surprised there doesn't appear to be easily available reliable info on exact screen sizes throughout the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Always thought Savoy had the biggest myself....?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

savoy or vue, bigger than the imax one I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Pretty sure it's Savoy 1.

Pretty sure it's Savoy 1.

I see on another site the Savoy 1 being 70ft (21.33mtrs) so that means the Mahon point one would be bigger...

But there should be an easier way to find this info

This is the best I’ve come up with over the years. I don’t know how accurate they are. And it doesn’t take account of aspect ratios. Having a bigger screen means nothing if most of it is unused.

Savoy 1 - 21.4 x 6.8 m (most of the width is obviously unused, even for scope films)
    Screen 17/IMAX in Cineworld - previously 17.1 x 7.3 m, current dimensions unknown (they expanded it a bit to meet IMAX standards. it’s now flat)
    iSense Odeon Point Village - 17.6 x 8.8m
    Mahon Point/OmniMaxx - 21 x 8 m (Not sure about these, the site says this screen is flat - is it?)
    Ster Century/Vue in Liffey Valley - 195 square metres (Somebody good at maths might be able to calculate this, but I guess it’s at least 19 metres wide)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Man ejected from large cinema for disrupting movie with Surveyor's wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Arkaron

So, Interstellar is supposed to be released in 70mm IMAX for a couple of days before expanding to digital everywhere, if I understand things right? Any clue as to where we might get a chance to see it in that format?

Arkaron wrote: »
    So, Interstellar is supposed to be released in 70mm IMAX for a couple of days before expanding to digital everywhere, if I understand things right? Any clue as to where we might get a chance to see it in that format?

The BFI IMAX in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Arkaron

I meant in Ireland, but I gather from your post that we're pretty much punked, then. :(

Arkaron wrote: »
    I meant in Ireland, but I gather from your post that we're pretty much punked, then. :(

Yes, unless it's shown early in 35mm somewhere.

It would be very nice if the Lighthouse got it in 35MM early, but I'm not holding out tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

on the Odeon website it said

Blanchardstown ISENSE
    Screen Size - 9.1m high x 18.9m wide.

Point Village ISENSE
    Screen Size - 9.2m high x 18m wide.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

They should make the information freely available on their sites and tickets stating the screen size, sound setup and the projectors resolution and aspect ratio.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭beaker

This is the best I’ve come up with over the years. I don’t know how accurate they are. And it doesn’t take account of aspect ratios. Having a bigger screen means nothing if most of it is unused.

Savoy 1 - 21.4 x 6.8 m (most of the width is obviously unused, even for scope films)
    Screen 17/IMAX in Cineworld - previously 17.1 x 7.3 m, current dimensions unknown (they expanded it a bit to meet IMAX standards. it’s now flat)
    iSense Odeon Point Village - 17.6 x 8.8m
    Mahon Point/OmniMaxx - 21 x 8 m (Not sure about these, the site says this screen is flat - is it?)
    Ster Century/Vue in Liffey Valley - 195 square metres (Somebody good at maths might be able to calculate this, but I guess it’s at least 19 metres wide)

Rathmines/OmniMaxx - 19 x 8m

According to this review of the cinema. Compares surprisingly well to the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Dundrum never seems to get mentioned. Anyone know the size in Screen 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭wotausername

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Mahon point Maxx screen is the biggest, and its flat

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Pretty sad how cinemas screen information isn't just freely and easily available in Ireland. And how we don't even have a proper IMAX screen, not like the digital one in Dublin. Hopefully cineworld push to be one of the early IMAX screens to receive the new IMAX laser projectors. Although even then their screen is still pretty small in comparison to international standards.

Maybe it's larger in person but that really doesn't look all that special.

Ah maybe it is then: http://www.carlow-nationalist.ie/2015/04/17/carlow-imc-cinema-unveils-biggest-screen-in-ireland/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,091 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Biggest isn't best I've found. A lot of the bigger screens opening these days have all these gimmicky digital projectors and sound systems with nonsense branding, seemingly designed so they can charge more for tickets than necessarily improving the cinema experience. I'd take a 35mm or 70mm equipped medium sized cinema over them any day of the week, and most of those screens are reserved for an endless parade of bland blockbusters anyway. They can boast of high resolution and high fidelity, but I haven't found one worthy of the premium yet.

For my money Savoy 1 and Lighthouse 1 remain the best screens in Dublin. The former for its majestic old school cinema design, the latter because it's a high quality screen that doesn't overwhelm. As Goldilocks would say, it's just right ;)

• Advertisement

Lighthouse 1 is like the IFI's main screen minus the neck strain and leg cramping. It's so perfect. :)

Advertisement