Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What commonly misspelled words annoy you the most?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Aubrey loves Joe

Lil ta b worrin bout lads

• Registered Users Posts: 20,907 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

We're all human beans, we all make mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Karl Stein wrote: »
    A comma between your first two sentences would be preferable to a full stop as what 'it' refers to becomes unambiguous.

I'm afraid that would be incorrect. A semi-colon would serve, or perhaps a conjunction like 'as' or 'because'. However, breaking it into two separate sentences is completely fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

lodes off rong speeling anoy me

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Fingers!

Why is it so hard to spell dislexic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

A comma between your first two sentences would be preferable to a full stop as what 'it' refers to becomes unambiguous.

I genuinely fail to see how "it" could be ambiguous here tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

I'm afraid that would be incorrect. A semi-colon would serve, or perhaps a conjunction like 'as' or 'because'.

A semicolon would be correct if the second sentence could stand alone unambiguously. The second sentence was rendered ambiguous due to your misuse of a full stop.
    However, breaking it into two separate sentences is completely fine.

Not for those who demand high standards of others.

A semicolon would be correct if the second sentence could stand alone unambiguously. The second sentence was rendered ambiguous due to your misuse of a full stop.

Not for those who demand high standards of others.

When separating two complete but related sentences you use a semicolon. Using a comma in that instance is incorrect.

I would stop pursuing the course you're on at the moment. Firstly, as you will look like a fool, and secondly, I believe it's against the rules of this forum.

Plus for "it" to be ambiguous, there would have to be two possible referents, I honestly don't see what could be the other referent in the sentence.

I genuinely fail to see how "it" could be ambiguous here tbh.
    It lends gravitas and authority to my speech.

The sentence above is meaningless, by itself, because 'it' refers to nothing.

Each sentence should make sense independently. The sentence above only makes sense if we ignore the full stop that preceded it.

• Advertisement

The sentence above is meaningless, by itself, because 'it' refers to nothing.

Each sentence should make sense independently. The sentence above only makes sense if we ignore the full stop that preceded it.

*facepalm*

"It" refers to "a slow and deliberate manner", the manner in which an action is accomplished. That's not nothing.

Pronouns can perfectly start a sentence, whether they refer to a person, an inanimate object, or even a notion.
    "I hate racism. It makes me angry."
    "I walk fast. It helps me think."

Are these ambiguous ?

"It" refers to "a slow and deliberate manner", the manner in which an action is accomplished. That's not nothing.

Only if you ignore the full stop.

It seems the OP is getting irked by this discussion. I take no pleasure in stressing people out so I'll leave 'it' at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

"It" is a clown called Pennywise in Stephen King's second finest work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Simonigs1.0

Principal - Principle.

KNOW THE DIFFERENCE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Alot. A lot of people seem to think it's one word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Carers and careers and the people on the Carers forum who cannot tell the difference between the two in spite of notice at the top of it.

It doesn't annoy me. Nothing about language, spelling or grammar annoys me. But for the benefit of anyone who thinks there is a phrase Ying and Yang, it is actually Yin and Yang.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Tigersliding

Prostate as prostrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Phase being used instead of faze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Bricriu

Seperate
    To/too

Bad spelling irks me, whatever the word, especially in public news outlets (it is part of their job to use language correctly). Even the RTE news website is not immune !

Even the above is not immune: RTÉ is the correct spelling.

Bricriu wrote: »
    Even the above is not immune: RTÉ is the correct spelling.

There's another discrepancy. RTÉ is pronounced R T E. The Luas announces the National College of Ireland as CNÉ, but pronounced as C N A.

Karsini wrote: »
    There's another discrepancy. RTÉ is pronounced R T E. The Luas announces the National College of Ireland as CNÉ, but pronounced as C N A.

A as in far or A as in bay?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

Is it just me, or is the standard of spelling, particularly amongst younger people, absolutely atrocious?

People spelling college as collage is the one that irks me the most. What about you?

You should probably try to perfect your use of commas before getting annoyed over other people's spelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Thru instead of through.

Seems to be getting more common and it drives me nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

When separating two complete but related sentences you use a semicolon. Using a comma in that instance is incorrect.

I would stop pursuing the course you're on at the moment. Firstly, as you will look like a fool, and secondly, I believe it's against the rules of this forum.

You know that when you post here, people respond to you in such a way because, judging from any posts you make, because you are a despicable person. I'm sure your future posts will result in such responses.

Here's just a piece of utter smugness from your "blog":
    I caught up on some important work matters from the Orient once I got back and set upon enjoying my day off. I noticed that The Baroness is starting to get a little bit chubby so I insisted we both go on a 20km cycle before lunch. I have to make sure I look at her portion sizes as well. She’s still in great shape, obviously, but once you start to slip it’s game over and I’m not having that.

I mean, do you ever just think about how pathetic your outlook on life is? Judging other people and thinking you're superior when you're clearly not. You're full of shít mate.

And idgaf, I will take the ban.. Just saying what everyone else is thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Only one ect

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Taught instead of thought. Grrrrrr.

A as in far or A as in bay?

A as in "Bay". It's literally what É should be pronounced as, such as "sin é". In which case RTE should probably be pronounced as RTA if they insist on using the fada. They never did until 1995.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Drakares wrote: »
    You know that when you post here, people respond to you in such a way because, judging from any posts you make, because you are a despicable person. I'm sure your future posts will result in such responses.

Here's just a piece of utter smugness from your "blog":

I mean, do you ever just think about how pathetic your outlook on life is? Judging other people and thinking you're superior when you're clearly not. You're full of shít mate.

And idgaf, I will take the ban.. Just saying what everyone else is thinking.

Just had a quick look at his blog there, and it's clear to me that it's a big giant troll. The dude is living a fantasy he will never come close to realising.

Let him off. And I hope you don't get a ban for that.

Advertisement