Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Radio 1 on 252!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

He suggests DRM while then going on about low DAB penetration. As always, Waters can't take a consistent point in a debate.

DRM is dead, and has been since day 1.

And he's more obsessed with "the gays" than the Derek Mooney thread on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Yeah i concede that it is such a pity that of all people to articulate the concerns about the closure of LW 252kHz then journalist John Waters can bring a lot of baggage with him as he does beat the whinging drum a bit too often in modern Ireland particularly in recent years. I would not be an enthusiastic supporter of John Waters normally so I was surprised to find myself praising him as he normally drives me up the walls. I was just glad to see the article in the Irish Independent raising the issues and concerns about the loss of the service, nothing more, nothing less.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/co...-30628452.html

Incidentally, does anyone on here know if RTÉ Radio arranging for the RTÉ Radio One Extra digital feed to be restored on SKY Digital platform once the LW 252 is switched off on Long Wave on 27th of October? It was previously on as RTÉ Radio Europe on EPG No: 0142 but the feed was removed some time ago and nothing replaced the slot in that position on the Sky Digital Radio EPG. This would be a positive move one would have thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

?......Last night, I was listening to John Creedon on his RTÉ Radio One show and John read out various requests and dedications as he often does including one topical one from a listener in the UK who indicated that following the broadcast of last night's show he would no longer be in a position to tune-in following the forthcoming closure of LW 252kHz later this month..............What a shame if the said individual is not aware of the other methods or is internet-friendly like some of us now take .

The person managed to send an email, he can't be that stuck in fairness.

RTE have wasted enough money oven the years, they're trying to reduce costs.

It's a tough call but they usually can't win.

More Music wrote: »
    The person managed to send an email, he can't be that stuck in fairness. RTE have wasted enough money oven the years, they're trying to reduce costs. It's a tough call but they usually can't win.

I am not sure how that listener communicated his message which John read out on Tuesday night's edition of The John Creedon Show. Believe it or not there are some people who send in mail and requests via more conventional methods and RTÉ Radio will often mention the address option. That said, maybe you are right More Music, RTÉ must save money and it is a tough call.

More Music, do you think that they should shut all of the RTÉ Radio services currently broadcasting on the FM band too as this will surely save even more funds therefore reducing costs further given that they are all available in various Digital formats for a number of years already? Like you said earlier, they usually can't win so maybe they should just bite the bullet and go the whole hog as RTÉ keep banging on about their services being on "Digital" and so on when defending the closure of this service!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1002/649442-rte-longwave-radio/
    In a statement, Ireland’s Catholic bishops said the loss of the service would mean fewer people would be able to listen to religious programmes.

John Waters and now the Catholic bishops. This is sounding like a better idea all the time.

• Advertisement

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1002/649442-rte-longwave-radio/John Waters and now the Catholic bishops. This is sounding like a better idea all the time.

My concerns have never been made on behalf of the Catholic Church or indeed John Waters for that matter. I know that there are those people out there who will miss this service as I cannot see them navigating the Broadband Internet or DAB etc; I also think you have a very dismissive attitude to those who just want to hear their RTÉ Radio One in areas where FM is either very unreliable or inaudible. The Church & John Waters along with all Irish citizens have a right to advocate their viewpoint even if we hate what they stand for on a whole host of issues down through the years.

There are people who want to hear Radio One and if they are outside DAB areas, the current FM signal is often unsatisfactory in many rural areas - RTÉ says it's on Saorview/UPC/SKY but many people do not want to be restricted to hearing their RTÉ Radio One via their TV Set as some may be used to availing of this service while commuting/driving for a living! Why would RTÉ not sort out their reception blackspots first before shutting vital services to certain regions as it is. Many people are already finding it tough to make ends meet but RTÉ seem to think that it should be a simple enough switch but not for all.

Once this service is closed down on October 27th, there will be no rolling back on the decision. Personally speaking I think this is an own goal and those listeners will eventually be better served on FM in their local areas by local independent stations, community radio & hospital radio stations where they will hear items such as Death Notices, Hospital Radio Requests, Mass and so on. I am thinking of my parents generation who find these changes very hard to take as they want to independently tune-in of their own accord in their own way as they always have done.

Our senior citizens, commercial travellers, commuters, hauliers, farmers, taxi/cab drivers and so on deserve some dignity and respect when the national broadcaster decides to shut down a vital access signal for many of the national radio station and one month's advance notice is completely unsatisfactory. There is also the issue of the service going out to those of the Irish diaspora currently living outside the Republic of Ireland. They may as well shut all the RTÉ Radio services broadcast on FM too if they are going to justify cost cutting and that the services are all available Online via the Internet and so on at this rate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Cork_chick_94

While it may be true that the BBC did shut off many of their own radio services on AM over the years when it came to their equivalent public service broadcasting radio channel (i.e.) BBC Radio 4 they too attempted to shut down Radio 4 on Long Wave 198kHz a number of years ago but after much public outcry from those at home and abroad they reversed the decision and the service has remained on long wave along with FM and Digital. The only problem is that the Radio 4 long Wave service will eventually close once the equipment reaches the end of it's life however; this gives the BBC a bit more time and not cut off those listeners who have come to heavily rely on this method of receiving was is for them an essential service.

I'm not so sure that here in Ireland if our own national public service broadcaster, RTÉ Radio have not yet fully understood and come to recognise that the withdrawal of RTÉ Radio One on LW252kHz (previously the service went out on 567+729kHZ Medium Wave but this was transferred to Long Wave) is going to cause many people a lot of inconvenience and upset as LW is very user-friendly and easier to access for the likes of the older generations in Ireland and the UK and beyond, drivers, commuters, farmers, and so on. If RTÉ Radio One had a universally strong FM signal across Ireland and/or DAB (Digital Audio Broadcast) across the whole of Ireland then maybe they would have a strong argument however; telling people who are used to receiving the service that they can still do so providing they access the service via UPC/SKY/Saorview/Online Internet/DAB/FM it really makes no sense to someone who wants the same access and flexibility to be able to continue listening to this service whilst on the move in areas where DAB does not operate and where FM is not a reliable broadcast source. The other method options restricts people to hearing the service to where the TV set is located unless they live in an area currently serviced by DAB transmissions or have full regular FM reception coverage.

However; if RTÉ Radio insists on turning it's back on a small yet very loyal listening community at home and abroad then I hope they do move the dial towards other commercial independent radio broadcasters as I am quite sure they will appreciate their support! RTÉ may as well be telling them to move to digital or lose the signal which is fine in accountant speak but not so fine where reaching out to those in some parts of rural Ireland, senior citizens, farmers, drivers, commuters, Irish ex-pats tuning in from outside the state!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Rock Solid

Long Wave 252.needs to be kept on, Its a very important signal for people in poor coverage areas for Fm, Dab and Saorview, the signal is mono and important for listeners in the Country and west of the UK, Rte can find other ways to cut back, Rte radio is availabe on Astra 28.2 East FreeSat, its important that 252 remains on air.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Telling people to use DAB is a waste of time.

I'm not sure of anywhere on this island where people who use 252 out of necessity are going to be in a position to switch to DAB.

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    Telling people to use DAB is a waste of time.
    I'm not sure of anywhere on this island where people who use 252 out of necessity are going to be in a position to switch to DAB.

Exactly - RTÉ Radio suggested those effected use DAB or FM instead of what they currently have been using (i.e.) LW 252kHz - they just do NOT seem to get that the people most inconvenienced actually cannot hear DAB or that RTÉ Radio One on FM is completely unreliable in some locations making the LW 252kHz signal a vital reliable service.

Other alternative options RTÉ Radio suggested include: Saorview/UPC/SKY/Internet - mind you, not everyone wants to switch their TV set on just to hear RTÉ Radio One and then be restricted to staying in room that the TV set is situated when up to now they ironically had more choice & freedom in where they were listening in the house or car etc;

It's meant to be the national public service radio channel in Ireland and should have the widest available platform and strongest signal coverage nationwide for all citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Other alternative options RTÉ Radio suggested include: Saorview/UPC/SKY/Internet - mind you, not everyone wants to switch their TV set on just to hear RTÉ Radio One and then be restricted to staying in room that the TV set is situated....

Do their radio's follow them around the house from room to room unlike their TV sets?

Do their radio's follow them around the house from room to room unlike their TV sets?

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit but if you wanna go down this path, hey we can all adopt an abrupt tone!

Hardly surprising that this smart-ass remark just happens to come from someone in the Dublin area (no offence to intelligent Dubliners) where the FM and DAB both have strong reception signals. Not everyone has a TV Set in every room in the house but most households tend to have more radio sets via different devices from in-car radio, alarm clock radios, midi hi-fi systems, ghettoblasters and so on. Some of these devices are relatively light-weight which means they are "portable" and can be easily taken to different parts of the house or garage or outside.

Let me educate you further Losty as you have failed to grasp the issue despite many posts. In certain parts of Ireland that you clearly have little or no experience of there will be no DAB and the FM signal is virtually useless due to constant drop-out. In this day and age one would think it would not be an issue but it is a major problem.

Why would people in this situation who currently rely on Long Wave 252 be satisfied with what is being proposed if FM and/or DAB is either not reliable or available at all in their area or else it involves further investment and is more restrictive where they are based unlike the existing signal method which has worked pretty well. So, if it is cheaper to switch it off, then RTÉ Radio should have boosted their FM and DAB in these areas first ahead of a one month advance countdown to switch off of the Long Wave transmitter.

If you bothered to think and educate yourself about other Irish citizens who are living "outside the pale" you would quickly learn that in certain areas the infrastructure is well below par whether it be radio, broadband, mobile phone signal coverage and so on. Such investment in infrastructure would actually help the regions attract more business enterprises, foreign direct investment and jobs and ease the pressure and gridlock in the Dublin area as well but this would be smart thinking and too much to expect from the current administration. It's all about day to day and very little middle - long term planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I don't know what your actual grá of LW is but there is no getting around that it is not the only way to receive RTE 1 in today's Ireland. Of the few parts of Ireland with inadequate FM coverage of RTE 1, and let us be honest in saying that we are talking small pockets of the population, it is still easily and freely available via other means, even if it means that your alarm clock or ghetto blaster can't receive it on LW :rolleyes:

As regards to your suggestion that masses of people and communities are solely reliant on LW or with every device tuned to 252, frankly that's just clutching at straws. If investment is to be made and money spent, well it's made on the new and not the old. To even suggest that a lack of LW will hinder businesses investment shows that you aren't at the races in this regard. Seriously.

PS; I've spent plenty of my life in the Mayo Gaeltacht and FM and phone signal was never an issue wherever I went ;)

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit but if you wanna go down this path, hey we can all adopt an abrupt tone!

Hardly surprising that this smart-ass remark just happens to come from someone in the Dublin area (no offence to intelligent Dubliners) where the FM and DAB both have strong reception signals. Not everyone has a TV Set in every room in the house but most households tend to have more radio sets via different devices from in-car radio, alarm clock radios, midi hi-fi systems, ghettoblasters and so on. Some of these devices are relatively light-weight which means they are "portable" and can be easily taken to different parts of the house or garage or outside.

Let me educate you further Losty as you have failed to grasp the issue despite many posts. In certain parts of Ireland that you clearly have little or no experience of there will be no DAB and the FM signal is virtually useless due to constant drop-out. In this day and age one would think it would not be an issue but it is a major problem.

Why would people in this situation who currently rely on Long Wave 252 be satisfied with what is being proposed if FM and/or DAB is either not reliable or available at all in their area or else it involves further investment and is more restrictive where they are based unlike the existing signal method which has worked pretty well. So, if it is cheaper to switch it off, then RTÉ Radio should have boosted their FM and DAB in these areas first ahead of a one month advance countdown to switch off of the Long Wave transmitter.

If you bothered to think and educate yourself about other Irish citizens who are living "outside the pale" you would quickly learn that in certain areas the infrastructure is well below par whether it be radio, broadband, mobile phone signal coverage and so on. Such investment in infrastructure would actually help the regions attract more business enterprises, foreign direct investment and jobs and ease the pressure and gridlock in the Dublin area as well but this would be smart thinking and too much to expect from the current administration. It's all about day to day and very little middle - long term planning.

I don't know what your actual grá of LW is but there is no getting around that it is not the only way to receive RTE 1 in today's Ireland. Of the few parts of Ireland with inadequate FM coverage of RTE 1, and let us be honest in saying that we are talking small pockets of the population, it is still easily and freely available via other means, even if it means that your alarm clock or ghetto blaster can't receive it on LW :rolleyes:
    As regards to your suggestion that masses of people and communities are solely reliant on LW or with every device tuned to 252, frankly that's just clutching at straws. If investment is to be made and money spent, well it's made on the new and not the old. To even suggest that a lack of LW will hinder businesses investment shows that you aren't at the races in this regard. Seriously.

PS; I've spent plenty of my life in the Mayo Gaeltacht and FM and phone signal was never an issue wherever I went ;)

Ah Losty, you have misread my previous post again - I never said that a lack of LW will hinder businesses investment! They should have had a decent FM signal put in place and/or DAB in these areas before switching off LW. Otherwise keep LW going until they sort it first. My point was that due to the poor infrastructure already in place in certain areas of rural Ireland many are stuck relying on LW to hear RTÉ Radio One and now they intend cutting it off. The same areas often have slow dial-up Internet speeds, poor mobile phone signal coverage, many have zero Broadband altogether! I am fully aware LW is not the way of the future. Ah now, get with the programme as you look even more stupid when you are quoting mine back and you still fail to understand some very simple points raised :rolleyes:

To be honest I would be surprised if you have ever listened to RTÉ Radio One FM by choice. You were probably listening to another radio station on FM when you were in the Mayo Gaeltacht I suspect :confused: As for the mobile phone signal, I wonder if you would find the same strength mobile phone signal coverage if you opt to switch mobile network – somehow I would doubt it very much! Just in case you are not aware, the Mayo Gaeltacht is only one part of rural Ireland - there are many other areas and I did say certain parts of rural Ireland rather than the whole of rural Ireland. I cannot understand how young people do not have the intelligence to understand that folk obsessed with LW252 just want to hear the channel in a clear flexible way. Many of these people are in their Over 60s and are not inclined use Internet or understand how to get radio in this way. Once it goes off LW (if they cannot hear Radio One on FM) they are restricted and become a lot more dependent on others to access the service each time for them via other methods.

In relation to RTÉ Radio on FM is I have often found that of all their channels on FM, the problem one is not RTÉ 2fm, RTÉ RnaG or RTÉ Lyric fm which all seem to come through fine most of the time - the one that is erratic is usually RTÉ Radio One on FM - the main national public service channel from RTÉ. If RTÉ Radio was serious about investing in new technology then they should have ensured that they had it all covered properly first. It was pointless moving this audience away from Medium Wave and over to Long Wave for a few years as this move was inevitable as it has been yesterday's technology for decades - even long before Internet/mobile phone communications became commercially available to the mass population here. At this rate, I would not be surprised if RTÉ Radio expanded their presence on DAB despite the complete disaster it has become in the UK given RTÉ's past form in this regard. Furthermore, RTÉ has always done little or nothing for the Irish diaspora living outside the state.

In the past RTÉ had a complete monopoly where Radio & TV were concerned in this state however; now that there is a whole host of independent commercial national, multi-city, quasi national, regional, local, community and hospital radio licences not to mention all the other international and internet radio channels, I think they are foolish in how they have handled the whole matter. To lose goodwill when there is now a hell of a lot of healthy and varied competition from at home and abroad is never a good idea.

P.S: RTÉ have certain responsibilities as the national Public Service Broadcaster in this state and they cannot (unlike commercial broadcasters such as: NewsTalk, Today FM, TV3 etc;) be solely concerned with ratings and audience share as they provide a "social service" to the nation and must adequately cater for minorities when introducing major changes too ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Where *are* these "certain parts of rural Ireland"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Cork_chick_94

Is that Shay Byrne who does the top of the hour announcements on lw advising listeners to retune to FM or digital before october 27 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Chun the Unavoidable

MYOB wrote: »

well, sometimes in my kitchen (near the Garda Factory in Tipperary) RTE1 can wander about the 89.6 FM and the radio cant lock on.

it also glides past 2FM all the time which I find quite endearing.

neither of which would persuade me to switch to LW252

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

thats a good question.

heres the map of the main transmitters, and theres a whole raft of auxiliary transmitters to fill in where the main one doesn't reach.
    http://www.rte.ie/radio/page/138471-rte-radio-ways-to-listen/

The main transmitters in the west and south have up to a dozen auxiliary transmitters each providing local coverage to the likes of Castletownbere or Malin head so coverage at this stage is pretty extensive now to be honest.

Ah Losty, you have misread my previous post again - I never said that a lack of LW will hinder businesses investment! They should have had a decent FM signal put in place and/or DAB in these areas before switching off LW. Otherwise keep LW going until they sort it first. My point was that due to the poor infrastructure already in place in certain areas of rural Ireland many are stuck relying on LW to hear RTÉ Radio One and now they intend cutting it off. The same areas often have slow dial-up Internet speeds, poor mobile phone signal coverage, many have zero Broadband altogether! I am fully aware LW is not the way of the future. Ah now, get with the programme as you look even more stupid when you are quoting mine back and you still fail to understand some very simple points raised :rolleyes:

To be honest I would be surprised if you have ever listened to RTÉ Radio One FM by choice. You were probably listening to another radio station on FM when you were in the Mayo Gaeltacht I suspect :confused: As for the mobile phone signal, I wonder if you would find the same strength mobile phone signal coverage if you opt to switch mobile network – somehow I would doubt it very much! Just in case you are not aware, the Mayo Gaeltacht is only one part of rural Ireland - there are many other areas and I did say certain parts of rural Ireland rather than the whole of rural Ireland. I cannot understand how young people do not have the intelligence to understand that folk obsessed with LW252 just want to hear the channel in a clear flexible way. Many of these people are in their Over 60s and are not inclined use Internet or understand how to get radio in this way. Once it goes off LW (if they cannot hear Radio One on FM) they are restricted and become a lot more dependent on others to access the service each time for them via other methods.

In relation to RTÉ Radio on FM is I have often found that of all their channels on FM, the problem one is not RTÉ 2fm, RTÉ RnaG or RTÉ Lyric fm which all seem to come through fine most of the time - the one that is erratic is usually RTÉ Radio One on FM - the main national public service channel from RTÉ. If RTÉ Radio was serious about investing in new technology then they should have ensured that they had it all covered properly first. It was pointless moving this audience away from Medium Wave and over to Long Wave for a few years as this move was inevitable as it has been yesterday's technology for decades - even long before Internet/mobile phone communications became commercially available to the mass population here. At this rate, I would not be surprised if RTÉ Radio expanded their presence on DAB despite the complete disaster it has become in the UK given RTÉ's past form in this regard. Furthermore, RTÉ has always done little or nothing for the Irish diaspora living outside the state.

In the past RTÉ had a complete monopoly where Radio & TV were concerned in this state however; now that there is a whole host of independent commercial national, multi-city, quasi national, regional, local, community and hospital radio licences not to mention all the other international and internet radio channels, I think they are foolish in how they have handled the whole matter. To lose goodwill when there is now a hell of a lot of healthy and varied competition from at home and abroad is never a good idea.

P.S: RTÉ have certain responsibilities as the national Public Service Broadcaster in this state and they cannot (unlike commercial broadcasters such as: NewsTalk, Today FM, TV3 etc;) be solely concerned with ratings and audience share as they provide a "social service" to the nation and must adequately cater for minorities when introducing major changes too ;)

What a nasty, insulting post.

• Advertisement

Ah now MYOB, do you really think that people who have been forced to rely on AM to hear RTÉ Radio One are asking for LW to be saved just for a laugh or even pure nostalgia. Personally, I think they would prefer to receive the channel in the clear all the time and on the move but were stuck with MW and now LW until 27th of October. I made reference to one example in an earlier post so; if you are genuinely curious take a look back in the thread and all will be revealed - I've heard other contributors mention it as well but I'm pretty sure the folks who handle technical matters at 2RN on behalf of RTÉ know all the various blackspots around the state. I suppose you also think that Broadband Internet and Mobile Phone Signal Coverage is strong across the whole of rural Ireland too :rolleyes:

The mind boggles - For those who rarely or never travel outside the pale, take an extensive drive around various parts of rural Ireland with just RTÉ Radio One on FM the whole time and you will be surprised. Parts of the main Killarney - Limerick route ? Parts of main Cork - Limerick route - experience of signal frequently dropping in/out making it almost impossible to hear Radio One on FM but at least you can currently re-tune to LW252 kHz and have no problems on LW except the service will close and unless FM/DAB is available in these areas this will be even more unsatisfactory. We're talking main primary roads here where the FM signal for RTÉ Radio One is very erratic and disintegrates - Improve FM and/or expand DAB before shutting down the LW option for those who currently have to rely on the service.

thats a good question.

heres the map of the main transmitters, and theres a whole raft of auxiliary transmitters to fill in where the main one doesn't reach.
    http://www.rte.ie/radio/page/138471-rte-radio-ways-to-listen/

The main transmitters in the west and south have up to a dozen auxiliary transmitters each providing local coverage to the likes of Castletownbere or Malin head so coverage at this stage is pretty extensive now to be honest.

Maps are all very fine in theory but travel the roads and you will wonder why the map does not always reflect the reality - Mobile Phone coverage maps can often be very clever with their marketing of extensive coverage as well especially outside large urban areas!!

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1002/649442-rte-longwave-radio/

John Waters and now the Catholic bishops. This is sounding like a better idea all the time.

and
    If John Waters is against it, you can sign me up as fervently in favour of it. His opinion is worth about one-tenth of that of your average internet poster.

Waters is a chronic whinger with a clear conflict of interest here, in that he has had his share of run-ins with RTE. He even manages to get a dig in at homosexuals as well, just for the sake of it.

I'm lolling my ass off at his suggestion that we all upgrade to Digital Radio Mondial, but that this somehow doesn't require any additional investment. Yeah John, the elderly in the UK will be flocking out to upgrade to DRM.

A very poor article that has a few stock phrases about the elderly diaspora but is just a thinly-veiled dig at RTE.

Any fair-minded independent person who looks back at your posts will know that you are well able to be nasty and insulting towards others in your own previous posts - examples of which I've included above by way of reference. We are all entitled to our individual opinions and to argue the pros and cons however; if someone dismisses my opinion out of hand in such an insulting way, I will defend it vigorously whether you or your friends like it or not! If you wanna get personal, then except the same treatment back matey! :mad:

Maps are all very fine in theory but travel the roads and you will wonder why the map does not always reflect the reality - Mobile Phone coverage maps can often be very clever with their marketing of extensive coverage as well especially outside large urban areas!!

This is true. I was doing some work out in Airside near Swords during the summer. My boss asked me if I could test 3's 4G coverage out there as their map reported full coverage. In reality I lost 4G outside the Pavilion shopping centre and had nothing at all in Airside.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Ah now MYOB, do you really think that people who have been forced to rely on AM to hear RTÉ Radio One are asking for LW to be saved just for a laugh or even pure nostalgia. Personally, I think they would prefer to receive the channel in the clear all the time and on the move but were stuck with MW and now LW until 27th of October. I made reference to one example in an earlier post so; if you are genuinely curious take a look back in the thread and all will be revealed - I've heard other contributors mention it as well but I'm pretty sure the folks who handle technical matters at 2RN on behalf of RTÉ know all the various blackspots around the state. I suppose you also think that Broadband Internet and Mobile Phone Signal Coverage is strong across the whole of rural Ireland too :rolleyes:

The mind boggles - For those who rarely or never travel outside the pale, take an extensive drive around various parts of rural Ireland with just RTÉ Radio One on FM the whole time and you will be surprised. Parts of the main Killarney - Limerick route ? Parts of main Cork - Limerick route - experience of signal frequently dropping in/out making it almost impossible to hear Radio One on FM but at least you can currently re-tune to LW252 kHz and have no problems on LW except the service will close and unless FM/DAB is available in these areas this will be even more unsatisfactory. We're talking main primary roads here where the FM signal for RTÉ Radio One is very erratic and disintegrates - Improve FM and/or expand DAB before shutting down the LW option for those who currently have to rely on the service.
    You don't even have to look at the Killarney - Limerick route, just stay in Killarney town itself. Was doing work in Killarney last Saturday and had to resort to 252 (best signal between 88.4, 89.5 and 90.0) to listen to the All Ireland replay as all 3 FM frequencies were either weak or ridden with multipath.

Karsini wrote: »
    This is true. I was doing some work out in Airside near Swords during the summer. My boss asked me if I could test 3's 4G coverage out there as their map reported full coverage. In reality I lost 4G outside the Pavilion shopping centre and had nothing at all in Airside.

I know it happens quite a lot but they really do not want you to say it too loud and I can see why. When it happens in an large urban area, you might have a competitior network that has good coverage there but when it happens in some of the rural spots you can be stuck or else very limited.

marno21 wrote: »
    You don't even have to look at the Killarney - Limerick route, just stay in Killarney town itself. Was doing work in Killarney last Saturday and had to resort to 252 (best signal between 88.4, 89.5 and 90.0) to listen to the All Ireland replay as all 3 FM frequencies were either weak or ridden with multipath.

Actually that is a disgrace that Killarney town itself, a large busy urban area of Co. Kerry which has a major influx of Tourists from home and abroad contributing to the Irish economy but unable to obtain a satisfactory FM signal for RTÉ Radio One whereas the frequency that gives reliable reception is being shut off before the end of this month. I bet Radio Kerry is fine on FM and I suspect Newstalk and/or Today FM are both coming through alright or what is the story with these radio channels in terms of reception in Killarney ?

I find on the train that I'm constantly hopping between Mullaghanish and Knockmoyle for RTE. Can't speak for Radio Kerry though.

Karsini wrote: »
    I find on the train that I'm constantly hopping between Mullaghanish and Knockmoyle for RTE. Can't speak for Radio Kerry though.

Yeah the signal for FM on trains used often be erratic but my experience of listening to radio on the train is a while back. I recall most FM radio channels used break up so gave up on it but that's a good few yrs ago.

I'd be more up to date with listening to it in the car or at home in Cork City - thankfully I have no issues where I live but I would stand up for those who will be seriously inconvenienced by RTÉ Radio decision to close LW 252 without boosting their FM/DAB in areas that have major problems down through the years. I mean why else would they have bothered re-tuning to LW 252kHz in fairness.

I also came to rely on LW252 every now and again when driving enroute from Cork to Galway particularly in places where those FM signals would be going up and down and static interference. The irony was that I would often be able to re-tune the other RTÉ Radio channels such as: 2fm, RnaG or Lyric fm but Radio One for some reason was always a bit of a problem in some places.

• Advertisement

and

Any fair-minded independent person who looks back at your posts will know that you are well able to be nasty and insulting towards others in your own previous posts - examples of which I've included above by way of reference. We are all entitled to our individual opinions and to argue the pros and cons however; if someone dismisses my opinion out of hand in such an insulting way, I will defend it vigorously whether you or your friends like it or not! If you wanna get personal, then except the same treatment back matey! :mad:

Ok, I've obviously offended your religious sensibilities by not liking John Waters or the Catholic bishops, that wasn't my intention, but I have serious issues with both him and them, well-founded issues I think it's fair to say.

However, I don't think I've been rude to any contributors to this thread, unlike you; when someone replies in disagreement to your post, as Losty Dublin did, and you respond by calling him stupid and lacking intelligence, well that's not very nice now and all it shows is how weak your underlying argument is.

The debate is over, the right call has been made. Hopefully RTE will stick to their guns on this very sensible decision and not cave to the fringe elements, however vocal they may be.

Good luck.

Advertisement