Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying from Dealers on DD

• 01-10-2014 10:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

Any of ye know what the guys sourcing weanlings across Midlands an west of Ireland are like to deal with? Seem to be only people selling weanling bulls on done deal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

grange mac wrote: »
    Any of ye know what the guys sourcing weanlings across Midlands an west of Ireland are like to deal with? Seem to be only people selling weanling bulls on done deal?

Clare hill livestock are supposed to have a good rep. Never dealt with them tho. Chat to tubby he is fairly knowledgeable on the midland boys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

Would imagine ya will pay nice commission on the cattle bought compared to if ya got someone to tip down and buy for ya for a fixed fee e.g. 25 euro a head delivered....

also an extra unnecessary movement.

Reggie. wrote: »
    Clare hill livestock are supposed to have a good rep. Never dealt with them tho. Chat to tubby he is fairly knowledgeable on the midland boys

knowledgeable a very strong word Reggie :)

TUBBY wrote: »
    Would imagine ya will pay nice commission on the cattle bought compared to if ya got someone to tip down and buy for ya for a fixed fee e.g. 25 euro a head delivered....

Speak of an ass :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭grange mac

Huge demand down this side for weanlings fellas just going mad for them. Was going to look at some on dd down this side during week & was told dealer from Midlands bought entire stock of them.
    Have bought from 2 farms so far at reasonable prices but mystery remains as to wheather glut will come...I just won't pay stupid prices for them.

• Advertisement

Huge demand down this side for weanlings fellas just going mad for them. Was going to look at some on dd down this side during week & was told dealer from Midlands bought entire stock of them.
    Have bought from 2 farms so far at reasonable prices but mystery remains as to wheather glut will come...I just won't pay stupid prices for them.

Weather to break next week so if it's coming it will be soon enough

the egans in portlaoise seem to be putting huge numbers through just going by DD.
    question id ask ya grange mac is if dealer from midlands bought entire stock does that not mean he isn't exactly just picking up handy ones and you are going to be paying 30-40 a head on top.

did ya ever try Michael Coleman from delvin direction. He goes down west and buys to order with a set commission. Seems a sound fella from talk about him but never dealt myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

Sligo and leitrim have small farmers with quality Ai stock. worth a look if your well informed on prices and a good judge

the egans in portlaoise seem to be putting huge numbers through just going by DD.
    question id ask ya grange mac is if dealer from midlands bought entire stock does that not mean he isn't exactly just picking up handy ones and you are going to be paying 30-40 a head on top.

did ya ever try Michael Coleman from delvin direction. He goes down west and buys to order with a set commission. Seems a sound fella from talk about him but never dealt myself.

Never heard of him, if you had his number I'll give him a shout. Are you saying west as in west of Ireland as its a long way to skibbereen lol

Thanks tubby.

Never heard of him, if you had his number I'll give him a shout. Are you saying west as in west of Ireland as its a long way to skibbereen lol

Thanks tubby.

yeah - west as in balla, tuam, ballymote etc. Will pm ya number 2m.

• Advertisement

yeah - west as in balla, tuam, ballymote etc. Will pm ya number 2m.

Sound

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Have dealt with Clare Hill and found them straight and very ready

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

We dealt with him 20 years ago. Good as you will get. Descant man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Same here.

CS. what your experience of,likes of Clare hill that advertise on dd with regard price and weight.

Are the cattle the weight they say when ya see them. Is there much haggling from the printed price or take it or leave it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Catte as described and will buy to order ,a deal in them too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

If you want to know anything about dealers I know most of them....

Coleman is a grand man to get good stock and he does know his stock too! Bit of a temper though:P

Here and there you'll find a dealer throws in a rogue with a bunch. Never seen him do it, he often got a couple of small ones off us.

Used to date a dealer from Tipp, those were the days:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Coleman is a grand man to get good stock and he does know his stock too! Bit of a temper though:P

I don't like to speak bad of any man. So I won't.
    The best of any I know is Brian mc Redmond. Kinnegad area.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

What kind of stock you looking for grange,

What kind of stock you looking for grange,

Ideally nice chx but have picked up few lmx and si also so far. All around the 250-325 kg mark. Ideally good beef cattle but have to be weaned.
    I know bucked fed lads will be out soon so in no major panic.

• Advertisement

Ideally nice chx but have picked up few lmx and si also so far. All around the 250-325 kg mark. Ideally good beef cattle but have to be weaned.
    I know bucked fed lads will be out soon so in no major panic.

Oi :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

I buy cattle advertised on donedeal.
    Make sure when you are looking at the cattle that you have the cards in your hands to check their ages. The biggest problem I find with sellers is that a yearling can be any animal between 6 and 18 Months.

restive wrote: »
    I buy cattle advertised on donedeal.
    Make sure when you are looking at the cattle that you have the cards in your hands to check their ages. The biggest problem I find with sellers is that a yearling can be any animal between 6 and 18 Months.

my best one to date was buying cattle 500kg but never checked tags. When we met half way to exchange trailers there were a few of original but also a couple of runts i would never buy. He swore that they were same cattle even though the weaker ones were about a foot lower than ones i had seen. Anyway moral of story- take down tags of ones you have bought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

With the vast majority of farmers now part-time, how come we don't have more marts on a Saturday. It would save a lot of hassle for everyone.

Days are here, by the way;

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/toolbox/martdirectory.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

With the vast majority of farmers now part-time, how come we don't have more marts on a Saturday. It would save a lot of hassle for everyone.

Around here we've Saturday & evenings, but suppose every mart can't be the same day.
    Do agree, hateful having to use up holidays for a few hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

I don't think the wife would be impressed if I was gone an extra day a week.

I said wrote: »
    I don't think the wife would be impressed if I was gone an extra day a week.

think mine would be delighted :)

think mine would be delighted :)

Harsh

Sorry lads. Got few pm and forgot to send Michael Coleman number after. Don't think i breaking any rule as he advertises everywhere so its not a private no.
    anyway it 0876742351.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭Deano7

I buy cattle from DD a good bit, I find it's a great time saver if buying in quantity however the first time I brought a little over priced and one over aged. Make sure to look at the cards and know ur prices. Don't give big deposits either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Bealragh farms and Egan livestock are the same crowd. From Roscommon and have a place in portlaois aswell.

as far as i was concerned theyre different families, i know belaragh farms are egans alright as ive seen them sell locally, but i think they are different families, the lads in portlaoise have always been there for generations ive been told, belaragh farms have a yard in carlow alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

simx wrote: »
    as far as i was concerned theyre different families, i know belaragh farms are egans alright as ive seen them sell locally, but i think they are different families, the lads in portlaoise have always been there for generations ive been told, belaragh farms have a yard in carlow alright
    You could well be right, I seen on the ads it said to ring James. I know the lad in Roscommon Is James Egan and put 2 and 2 together knowing they had a place up the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Other than the problem with the additional movement are people not concerned about the health status of weanlings when buying from these warehouse type dealers.
    Lots of weanlings coming from different marts/farms/counties and bunched together for sale.
    Pneumonia is the one that initially springs to mind also loss of thrift due to be moved from billy to jack. Also how much extra are you paying on commission fees considering the lad that supplies them is getting a touch and they also will charge you a touch.
    Better off buying direct if you can or using a single individual recommended person/dealer who can purchase animals to your spec and pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

Base price wrote: »
    Other than the problem with the additional movement are people not concerned about the health status of weanlings when buying from these warehouse type dealers.
    Lots of weanlings coming from different marts/farms/counties and bunched together for sale.
    Pneumonia is the one that initially springs to mind also loss of thrift due to be moved from billy to jack. Also how much extra are you paying on commission fees considering the lad that supplies them is getting a touch and they also will charge you a touch.
    Better off buying direct if you can or using a single individual recommended person/dealer who can purchase animals to your spec and pocket.

well not if they were the last cattle on earth would I buy from a dealer

used to buy a lot of dealers and had nothing but trouble pneumonia left right and centre, with bord bia restrictions now I don't know how dealers aren't regulated more as I think its a big animal health issue

What breed and what sort of money?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

The asking price of steers on donedeal are getting ridiculously expensive.

Just thought I'd post.
    Was in Claire Hill yard this morning looking at weanlings, as were maybe five other lads.
    Place was manic, maybe 400 head of stock, lots of small weanlings from 200-300kg of all breeds. Some great heifers but looking too much money. Quite a few screws around 200kg looking €600 for them. Anything 250-300kg was looking €800+ which from a dealers yard with one movement already was too much.

Truck of cattle landed from what I presume was a Saturday mart somewhere and I'd reckon they were on the truck all night. Fairly stressed looking.

One lad then beating the hydes of stock trying to separate them, he knew nothing about handling stock an looked like a lad with a heavy head who'd be better off at home.

Saw maybe six lame animals and at leas as many with panting snotty noses.

Two ****s of dogs running round the yard nipping at stock that should just be shot and thrown in a hole.

Left and unlikely to go back. Had dealt with them in the past and was disappointed with the whole set up.

_Brian wrote: »
    Just thought I'd post.
    Was in Claire Hill yard this morning looking at weanlings, as were maybe five other lads.
    Place was manic, maybe 400 head of stock, lots of small weanlings from 200-300kg of all breeds. Some great heifers but looking too much money. Quite a few screws around 200kg looking €600 for them. Anything 250-300kg was looking €800+ which from a dealers yard with one movement already was too much.

Truck of cattle landed from what I presume was a Saturday mart somewhere and I'd reckon they were on the truck all night. Fairly stressed looking.

One lad then beating the hydes of stock trying to separate them, he knew nothing about handling stock an looked like a lad with a heavy head who'd be better off at home.

Two ****s of dogs running round the yard nipping at stock that should just be shot and thrown in a hole.

Left and unlikely to go back. Had dealt with them in the past and was disappointed with the whole set up.

tell us what ya think though Brian and don't be sugar coating :D

Just thought I'd post.

Fair play for telling it as you saw it.
    I have personally heard similar reports although I also know lads who bought stock and were more that happy with them.
    As I said in my previous post my biggest concern from buying from warehouse dealers is illness especially pneumonia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

"One lad then beating the hydes of stock trying to separate them, he knew nothing about handling stock an looked like a lad with a heavy head who'd be better off at home."
    Is it no wonder cattle are half demented with ****tards like that hard man bating them.
    Stupid bastard is all he is for doing it

• Advertisement

I said wrote: »
    "One lad then beating the hydes of stock trying to separate them, he knew nothing about handling stock an looked like a lad with a heavy head who'd be better off at home."
    Is it no wonder cattle are half demented with ****tards like that hard man bating them.
    Stupid bastard is all he is for doing it
    A true story - 27 years ago or so, I was at a mart (now closed) buying a few calves. After the sale was over I was moving the calves that I bought into a single pen. A lad employed by the mart and only a few years older than me arrived to help. All was ok until we had to split 4 out of a pen of 12 or 15 calves. To cut a long story short the lad got stuck into the calves with an ash plant, I saw red and whipped the plant from his hand and whacked him hard across the back of his legs. He made a complaint to the owners of the mart but amazingly there were no witnesses ;)
    I did admit to one of the mart owners in private that I hit him and the reason why.
    No need to beat animals especially calves/weanlings. I find that a piece of hydodare pipe about two and a half foot long is sufficient to tap/nudge them on.

A true story - 27 years ago or so, I was at a mart (now closed) buying a few calves. After the sale was over I was moving the calves that I bought into a single pen. A lad employed by the mart and only a few years older than me arrived to help. All was ok until we had to split 4 out of a pen of 12 or 15 calves. To cut a long story short the lad got stuck into the calves with an ash plant, I saw red and whipped the plant from his hand and whacked him hard across the back of his legs. He made a complaint to the owners of the mart but amazingly there were no witnesses ;)
    I did admit to one of the mart owners in private that I hit him and the reason why.
    No need to beat animals especially calves/weanlings. I find that a piece of hydodare pipe about two and a half foot long is sufficient to tap/nudge them on.

Same story in tullamore mart. A drover there and any animal can't pass him without him hitting it. Had to walk away or would have said something. Thankfully didn't see him near any of my own.

tell us what ya think though Brian and don't be sugar coating :D

TBH I was disappointed and earlier in the thread I had said I purchased there with no problems. I'd hate any man to think I would be happy buying from that set up as is. From what I saw we were the third in a row to leave without dealing.

Nothing personal, previous stock I purchased were healthy and did well for me.

TBH I was disappointed and earlier in the thread I had said I purchased there with no problems. I'd hate any man to think I would be happy buying from that set up as is. From what I saw we were the third in a row to leave without dealing.

That place is only about 10mins from the home place and visited it once or twice in the last year. Both times neither of the brothers could be found. So left after 15 mins of looking around.

That place is only about 10mins from the home place and visited it once or twice in the last year. Both times neither of the brothers could be found. So left after 15 mins of looking around.
    Really. No one else on site to do a deal?
    I thought that they had a few well known guys working for them that would know their stuff.

Really. No one else on site to do a deal?
    I thought that they had a few well known guys working for them that would know their stuff.

Walked around both times and only met people that were there to buy. Good few left as I did seemingly after waiting around a while aswell

fair play to you Brian. That's what i love about boards when people give an honest opinion that others can go by. And as you said, it was a good report previously so obvious there no hidden agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

Same story in tullamore mart. A drover there and any animal can't pass him without him hitting it. Had to walk away or would have said something. Thankfully didn't see him near any of my own.

In Ennis mart a couple of years ago we had a heifer that was a bit nervous when being handled. Anyways like what others have said, one of the drovers was shouting and flaking every animal that came within reach of his stick and when he was driving our heifer up the chute outside the ring he hit the heifer right down on the tail bone. Well I've never saw a animal kick back as fast!!! straight into where the sun don't shine and all :D:D needless to say hes a bit more calmer these days ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Saw the same at the sim sale, beating the **** out of heifers a few weeks from calving that wer going the direction he wanted them to go. Really really wanted to turn the plant on him.

rushvalley wrote: »
    In Ennis mart a couple of years ago we had a heifer that was a bit nervous when being handled. Anyways like what others have said, one of the drovers was shouting and flaking every animal that came within reach of his stick and when he was driving our heifer up the chute outside the ring he hit the heifer right down on the tail bone. Well I've never saw a animal kick back as fast!!! straight into where the sun don't shine and all :D:D needless to say hes a bit more calmer these days ha.
    Justice was served :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement