Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying from Dealers on DD

• 01-10-2014 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭

Any of ye know what the guys sourcing weanlings across Midlands an west of Ireland are like to deal with? Seem to be only people selling weanling bulls on done deal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,362 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

grange mac wrote: »
    Any of ye know what the guys sourcing weanlings across Midlands an west of Ireland are like to deal with? Seem to be only people selling weanling bulls on done deal?

Clare hill livestock are supposed to have a good rep. Never dealt with them tho. Chat to tubby he is fairly knowledgeable on the midland boys

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

Would imagine ya will pay nice commission on the cattle bought compared to if ya got someone to tip down and buy for ya for a fixed fee e.g. 25 euro a head delivered....

also an extra unnecessary movement.

Reggie. wrote: »
    Clare hill livestock are supposed to have a good rep. Never dealt with them tho. Chat to tubby he is fairly knowledgeable on the midland boys

knowledgeable a very strong word Reggie :)

TUBBY wrote: »
    Would imagine ya will pay nice commission on the cattle bought compared to if ya got someone to tip down and buy for ya for a fixed fee e.g. 25 euro a head delivered....

Speak of an ass :D

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭grange mac

Huge demand down this side for weanlings fellas just going mad for them. Was going to look at some on dd down this side during week & was told dealer from Midlands bought entire stock of them.
    Have bought from 2 farms so far at reasonable prices but mystery remains as to wheather glut will come...I just won't pay stupid prices for them.

• Advertisement

Huge demand down this side for weanlings fellas just going mad for them. Was going to look at some on dd down this side during week & was told dealer from Midlands bought entire stock of them.
    Have bought from 2 farms so far at reasonable prices but mystery remains as to wheather glut will come...I just won't pay stupid prices for them.

Weather to break next week so if it's coming it will be soon enough

the egans in portlaoise seem to be putting huge numbers through just going by DD.
    question id ask ya grange mac is if dealer from midlands bought entire stock does that not mean he isn't exactly just picking up handy ones and you are going to be paying 30-40 a head on top.

did ya ever try Michael Coleman from delvin direction. He goes down west and buys to order with a set commission. Seems a sound fella from talk about him but never dealt myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

Sligo and leitrim have small farmers with quality Ai stock. worth a look if your well informed on prices and a good judge

the egans in portlaoise seem to be putting huge numbers through just going by DD.
    question id ask ya grange mac is if dealer from midlands bought entire stock does that not mean he isn't exactly just picking up handy ones and you are going to be paying 30-40 a head on top.

did ya ever try Michael Coleman from delvin direction. He goes down west and buys to order with a set commission. Seems a sound fella from talk about him but never dealt myself.

Never heard of him, if you had his number I'll give him a shout. Are you saying west as in west of Ireland as its a long way to skibbereen lol

Thanks tubby.

Never heard of him, if you had his number I'll give him a shout. Are you saying west as in west of Ireland as its a long way to skibbereen lol

Thanks tubby.

yeah - west as in balla, tuam, ballymote etc. Will pm ya number 2m.

• Advertisement

yeah - west as in balla, tuam, ballymote etc. Will pm ya number 2m.

Sound

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Have dealt with Clare Hill and found them straight and very ready

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

We dealt with him 20 years ago. Good as you will get. Descant man.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Same here.

CS. what your experience of,likes of Clare hill that advertise on dd with regard price and weight.

Are the cattle the weight they say when ya see them. Is there much haggling from the printed price or take it or leave it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Catte as described and will buy to order ,a deal in them too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

If you want to know anything about dealers I know most of them....

Coleman is a grand man to get good stock and he does know his stock too! Bit of a temper though:P

Here and there you'll find a dealer throws in a rogue with a bunch. Never seen him do it, he often got a couple of small ones off us.

Used to date a dealer from Tipp, those were the days:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Coleman is a grand man to get good stock and he does know his stock too! Bit of a temper though:P

I don't like to speak bad of any man. So I won't.
    The best of any I know is Brian mc Redmond. Kinnegad area.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

What kind of stock you looking for grange,

What kind of stock you looking for grange,

Ideally nice chx but have picked up few lmx and si also so far. All around the 250-325 kg mark. Ideally good beef cattle but have to be weaned.
    I know bucked fed lads will be out soon so in no major panic.

• Advertisement

Ideally nice chx but have picked up few lmx and si also so far. All around the 250-325 kg mark. Ideally good beef cattle but have to be weaned.
    I know bucked fed lads will be out soon so in no major panic.

Oi :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

I buy cattle advertised on donedeal.
    Make sure when you are looking at the cattle that you have the cards in your hands to check their ages. The biggest problem I find with sellers is that a yearling can be any animal between 6 and 18 Months.

restive wrote: »
    I buy cattle advertised on donedeal.
    Make sure when you are looking at the cattle that you have the cards in your hands to check their ages. The biggest problem I find with sellers is that a yearling can be any animal between 6 and 18 Months.

my best one to date was buying cattle 500kg but never checked tags. When we met half way to exchange trailers there were a few of original but also a couple of runts i would never buy. He swore that they were same cattle even though the weaker ones were about a foot lower than ones i had seen. Anyway moral of story- take down tags of ones you have bought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

With the vast majority of farmers now part-time, how come we don't have more marts on a Saturday. It would save a lot of hassle for everyone.

Days are here, by the way;

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/toolbox/martdirectory.php

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

With the vast majority of farmers now part-time, how come we don't have more marts on a Saturday. It would save a lot of hassle for everyone.

Around here we've Saturday & evenings, but suppose every mart can't be the same day.
    Do agree, hateful having to use up holidays for a few hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

I don't think the wife would be impressed if I was gone an extra day a week.

I said wrote: »
    I don't think the wife would be impressed if I was gone an extra day a week.

think mine would be delighted :)

think mine would be delighted :)

Harsh

Sorry lads. Got few pm and forgot to send Michael Coleman number after. Don't think i breaking any rule as he advertises everywhere so its not a private no.
    anyway it 0876742351.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭Deano7

I buy cattle from DD a good bit, I find it's a great time saver if buying in quantity however the first time I brought a little over priced and one over aged. Make sure to look at the cards and know ur prices. Don't give big deposits either.

Advertisement