Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run run run run run run run....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

jebuz wrote: »
    V02max result was 65.8.

An interesting point is what is your FR620 saying your VO2max is? How close is their algorithm to the real thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

viperlogic wrote: »
    An interesting point is what is your FR620 saying your VO2max is? How close is their algorithm to the real thing

It was one of the first thing I checked afterwards :) FR620 gives me a reading of 67 which is on the generous side of things but not a million miles off my actual recorded value. The FR620 I assume bases that estimate on a combined value of pace and HR so it will never be accurate when you factor in temperature, terrain etc.

Good to see its very close. Was your max HR set on the watch same as got from Trevor's test?

I think their race predictions are off also. For example with a VO2max of 67, they predict a sub 2:30 marathon!

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?91743-What-are-your-FR620-VO2-max-estimates-race-prediction-times

viperlogic wrote: »
    Good to see its very close. Was your max HR set on the watch same as got from Trevor's test?

I think their race predictions are off also. For example with a VO2max of 67, they predict a sub 2:30 marathon!

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?91743-What-are-your-FR620-VO2-max-estimates-race-prediction-times

Yep way off and a little dangerous giving people such lofty predictions but that's why I have never given that reading much credence. My max HR hit with Trevor was 178 though I have hit 183 in a 5k race but I have the watch max HR on "auto" which has set a reading of 190. I think I'll manually input it as 183 and see how it looks.

Thursday 11/09 - 35 min track tempo

10.4 miles in 1:10:16 @ 6:45 min/mile

Session: 5.9 miles in 35 mins @ 5:57 min/mile

Usual Thursday track session, 2 mile warmup and jumped in with a group of about 5 aiming for a steady 35 mins @ 6 min pace. Tipped along and felt more comfortable than usual today prompting me to question if I should be upping the tempo next week.

Friday 12/09 - Recovery

5.0 miles in 39:15 @ 7:48 min/mile

Bit hilly for a recovery but a nice light jog around the countryside of Hollyhill. The legs are feeling really good this week and I think this is in part due to easing right up on the easy running days. I had a chat with the coach a while ago who told me I was running my easy days too hard and to save myself for the key sessions. It's hard to put it into practice, your head is telling you you're going to slow but it makes a lot of sense and I seem to be recovering better from the harder sessions as a result.

• Advertisement

Saturday 13/09 - 10 mins hills + 9/8/7/6 mins

13.1 miles in 1:29:49 @ 6:51 min/mile

Out early to the farm as usual, a lot less concerned about this one what with the lack of heat and knowing I didn't have to run it alone. Instead of a 10/9/8/7/6 min session, we'd do the first 10 minutes of hills and then continue the rest of the session on grass. The hills were a good workout and knocked any lingering sleepiness out of me for sure. It was roughly a 200m stretch so I got 6 reps in with a 200m jog back, working hard and the legs had already received quite a hammering by the time we got back to the pitches. I then jumped in with 2 club-mates for the 9/8/7/6 session with a 2 minute recovery. It went really well, felt strong and in control the whole time, much better this week doing it in a group. The pace was decent around the 5:40's but more important was the effort and we got it spot on I think keeping all the reps pretty consistent as planned and finishing as strong as we started (except maybe the 7 min rep where we got a little complacent at the beginning).

9 mins @ 5:41 min/mile (1.6 miles)
    8 mins @ 5:39 min/mile (1.4 miles)
    7 mins @ 5:44 min/mile (1.15 miles)
    6 mins @ 5:42 min/mile (1.04 miles)

Sunday 14/09 - 15m Long

15 miles in 1:46:43 @ 7:06 min/mile

The coach told us to run just the 15 miles today with the Charleville half marathon coming up next week, fair enough I guess as I want to be as fresh as I can heading into that. I headed down to the marina at 8am for this one (why do we do it!) and met up with a club-mate as there was a 10 mile race schedules to start at 10am. This was the same club-mate I had ran the hard session with yesterday and though we didn't say it at the time, we both felt those first 2 miles were absolutely horrible, only afterwards did we laugh about it. The legs felt like jelly, completely drained and I really wondered how I'd get through 15 miles. Things got easier and by 5 or 6 miles we had settled into a decent 7 min/mile clip and the miles just flew by. I see the Sat/Sun combination as almost a single session now, the conniving coach specifically designs the Saturday session to exhaust you and then has you run long on tired legs on the Sunday. It's simple really but seems to result in a lot of success for people in the club, particularly marathon runners and I just hope it pays off for me too.

Weekly milage: 80.1 - that'll do pig!

Monday 15/09 - 70 min recovery

9.4 miles in 1:11:46 @ 7:38 min/mile

Felt ok today considering the tough weekend though only doing 15 miles yesterday certainly helped. Took the pace nice and handy, nothing to be gained this week with the upcoming HM. Felt pretty strong on the climb back up to my house.

Tuesday 16/09 - 4 x 400m/300m/200m

9.8 miles in 1:12:23 @ 7:21 min/mile

This was a sort of sharpener to get some speed into the legs for Sunday. Most of the club headed off on the usual long run but a small group of us who are running the half headed for the track. I initially misread the session and thought it was 4 x 400 and 3 x 300. After giving it socks on the 3rd 300 I then found out there was another one left along with 4 x 200's! I was feeling pretty good so wasn't a big deal. The session was quite manageable and a nice change from what I have been used to recently. Glad to see I haven't really lost much speed with all the focus on distance, in fact I just compared to an identical one in July and this session was marginally faster, somehow!

400's (400m recovery):

300's (200m recovery):

200's (200m recovery):

Wednesday 17/09 - 90 min recovery

11 miles in 1:29:12 @ 8:05 min/mile

I headed over to a clubmates house after work to get a rub down on the legs, no niggles or anything bothering me but I find getting them every 2 weeks or so has really helped me manage the marathon schedule so far. The massage really does take a bit out of the legs so 70 mins easy was the plan. Of course plans can change, and people can miscalculate routes and this is exactly what happened to me. Not the week to be running more miles than I should be but by the time I realised I was off, it was getting dark and cold so I just kept going and finally got back to the car 20 mins overdue. I turned off the watch pace for this, ran on feel and looking at the splits afterwards they were all pretty steady 8 minute miles. I actually don't think I could have gone quicker, it felt like my inbuilt speed restrictor has kicked in with one eye on the half marathon.

Thursday 18/09 - 20 min tempo @ HM pace

7.7 miles in 52:46 @ 6:49 min/mile

20 min @ 5:41 min/mile (3.5 miles)

Down to the track again, a very very crowed track with the influx of students who have returned in their droves (Leevale/UCC is the one club). The numbers will die down inevitably in a few weeks but there was a lot of dodging and weaving today, nicely recreating the start conditions of a race. The plan was simple, 20 mins at my goal race pace for the HM. At the moment I don't have a nailed down pace and I don't want so I just sat in behind a couple of guys running @ 5:40 pace. This was my pace at the recent 10 miler so I'll assume I'll be a couple of seconds slower than that. The 20 mins felt ok, not hugely comfortable which is to be expected but ran it @ 5:41 min/mile average. There was bit of a headwind on the track and that could be expected on Sunday but happy overall with this one and a little confidence booster if anything.

Friday 19/09 - 35 min AM recovery

4.4 miles in 35:51 @ 8:05 min/mile

Nothing much to say about this one, up early, horrible morning but it's Friday and last run before the race so just got 'er done.

Nice to have a bit of an "easy" week if you want to call it that, well easy so far anyway, now we wait until Sunday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I read Thursday as 20miles @ 5:41min/mile at first :o.
    Was going to go down to the bookies and back you to win the race :D

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I read Thursday as 20miles @ 5:41min/mile at first :o.
    Was going to go down to the bookies and back you to win the race :D

I wish! Come back to me in about 3 years, maybe then it'll be possible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Looks like you are all set for the half. Best of luck. Your Frank Duffy time should give you great confidence. Bring it home!

• Advertisement

Good luck today. Shall be refreshing Strava from about 11 onwards!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

Good luck jebuz!

Best of luck this morning!

Now that's a seriously impressive time! Delighted for you. Brilliant stuff.

Thanks for the well wishes lads, came in with a 1:15:40 today in Charleville. I struggled at times and had to dig deep, the course wasn't as flat as I thought it would be but conditions were perfect and it was a very well run race. I'm very happy with the effort, feels like an accurate reflection of where I'm at now and still well on track for Dublin. In no condition to write a report yet, time to get the legs up, crack open a cold one and watch some angry men play sport.

Super, super stuff.
    Maybe I wasn't far off about backing you to win Dublin :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

Thanks for the well wishes lads, came in with a 1:15:40 today in Charleville. I struggled at times and had to dig deep, the course wasn't as flat as I thought it would be but conditions were perfect and it was a very well run race. I'm very happy with the effort, feels like an accurate reflection of where I'm at now and still well on track for Dublin. In no condition to write a report yet, time to get the legs up, crack open a cold one and watch some angry men play sport.

Class run. Great stuff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Savage running...still got chicked though ;)

Haha Cheers RQ :) I think I can deal with getting chicked by Maria McCambridge running a 72 min PB!

Sunday 22/09 - Charleville Half Marathon

13.1 miles in 1:15:40 @ 5:46 min/mile

So up early and on the road to Charleville by 8:15am on a foggy Sunday morning. It was cold, so very cold but it was clear, not a breeze and perfect conditions for the race. I had a dioralye and the obligatory coffee before setting off and threw a banana into me about 30 mins before the race. I had a couple of friends staying down with me who were also doing the race so after registration we said our good lucks and off I set on a 2 mile warmup. I prefer to do my warmup alone giving me some headspace and time to focus, the quiet before the storm if you will. Target today was to finish in the 75's, the pace for the recent 10 miler was 5:40 so I reckoned I could shoot for a 5:45 pace and if feeling good I'd push on in the latter stages. PB of 1:16:17 was set 2 months ago in Killarney so I expected at the least today to be setting a new PB.

Got back to the line with minutes to spare, met up with a flew clubmates and hopped in a couple of rows back. Seriously stacked race with some of Irelands finest standing right in front of me, it's what makes this such a great race and almost spurs you to just knuckle down and get it done when you consider the blistering pace these guys will be going at.

Mile 1 -3
    Bang went the hooter, I mean honnnnnk went the gun, well whatever it was we all started running. I quickly moved into step with clubmate DC, we've been doing a lot of sessions for DCM together so we're in similar shape and it was almost assumed we'd work together for this one. We talked beforehand knowing the pace would be quick for the first downhill mile and to not get sucked into it, that plan suited me just fine. It did feel extremely easy for the first half mile and I was surprised to see a 5:30 pace. We naturally eased off as the route levelled out and hit a 5:40 for the first one feeling very comfortable. We gradually started catching a few quick starters but the field was pretty much settled by the 2nd mile, a group of 5-6 were just ahead of us including the 2nd and 3rd females. We clocked off pretty steady splits in the first 3 miles though by mile 3 I was working hard and I expected to be, it's a half marathon after all.

Splits: 5:40, 5:46: 5:45

Mile 4 -6

The course is advertised as being flat and to be fair it's flatter than most but not without its drags. I started feeling them in this section, the long stretches seemed never-ending and effort really started feeling hard though we were bang on target. Around the 5th mile we passed the group ahead of us who were all working very well together. I was pretty glad to have DC there, he was most definitely dictating the pace but I made a point of not sticking on his shoulder and letting him do the work, I made sure to run alongside him but by mile 6 I starting tiring and getting seriously concerned as I started falling back. I didn't expect to be feeling tired and I wasn't even half way. DC was starting to pull away, and I responded a few times getting myself back up to him. He asked me was I ok and I told him to go ahead, I didn't see any point in chasing a pace I wasn't capable of at this early stage. Mile 6 was a 5:53 but I knew not to panic though I actually felt like pulling in and stopping. I had to trust my training and get through this patch.

Splits: 5:42, 5:45, 5:53

Mile 7 - 9

I arrived into the village of Kilmallock and I don't know if it was the change of scenery, the better road surface or the friendly faces on the side of the road but suddenly things felt ok again, not comfortable but manageable. DC was only about 10 meters ahead but he wasn't pulling away any more so I just focussed on keeping effort steady. I didn't watch my pace here and ended up clocking good splits for 7 and 8 as we headed out into the countryside, the loneliest patch of the course. I turned off my pace somewhere around here as I just focussed on the runners ahead, there was DC and 3 other guys on my radar, pretty spread out. Having felt good for a while, I must have started tiring on mile 9 though I didn't realise it until I saw a 5:53 pop up. Sometimes turning the pace off works, sometimes it doesn't. This time it didn't seem to help and I ended up relaxing so I made the decision to turn it back on to keep me focussed over the last 4 miles. DC was pulling away now but I was happy with where I was at having responded well to the earlier hiccup. I just needed to focus for 4 more miles.

Splits: 5:43, 5:44, 5:53

Mile 10-13.1

Mile 10 was a key mile for me. I knew I had slowed on the 9th mile and had to respond and I did with a 5:46, back on track and the watch actually really helped me maintain effort here. The undulating country road surface was draining a lot of my energy but I knew once I was back on the main road and feeling ok I'd persevere the last 3. I quickly caught and overtook a fading runner on mile 11 though again I lost concentration and another 5:53 (whats with all the 5:53's!!). Maybe it was the thought of almost being home but for the next 2 miles I dug deep and pulled out two 5:47 miles, really big miles when I look back and at a time where I was almost throwing in the towel having had so many ups and downs. I was really tiring coming into the last stretch, mile 13 itself is all uphill back to the start line and at one stage I started thinking I've done enough I'll just ease it back home now, almost one eye on the marathon. That all changed when the runner in front of me was drastically slowing, I felt a surge and gave it everything over the last half a mile. I overtook him and I'm not sure where that burst came from, I thought I was wiped. There was a great crowd cheering at the finish including my coach and it was great to get a few cheers from him. I kept it going all the way to the finish crossing 25th in 1:15:40, the last 2 miles key to me getting in under 76 mins. DC was one place ahead of me and about 30 seconds ahead, he was a bit surprised as he thought I was almost done at 6 miles.

Splits: 5:46, 5:53, 5:47, 5:47

I had mixed feelings after the race, apart from extreme thirst and exhaustion. Half of me expected a slightly quicker time closer to 75 but the other half was delighted with the fightback and the fact I hit my target. I was a little disappointed with those three 5:53 miles sporadically thrown into the mix, that's almost 30 seconds lost due to lack of concentration but on the flip side I responded to each of them and they focussed me to get back on track. Maybe because of the good summer I had I'm expecting huge chunks off my PB every time I race but it doesn't work like that. It seems the more you improve, the less you shave off your PB each time, principle of diminishing returns I salute you.

Overall looking back now I'm very happy with the race, this bodes well for DCM and the training is obviously going well. 3 more hard weeks ahead of me and it's a case of putting in the miles, staying healthy, avoiding injury and continuing to eat around me.

What an extremely well run race (and what a spread). I know the organiser and I know how passionate he is about athletics and raising funds for North Cork AC and it really showed in the event. At €35 (early bird) this was a real bargain and I can't comprehend some of the complains on the other thread, can't recommend it enough and I'll be back for sure.

Looking at my half marathon progression this year, I can't but be pleased. Back in Bohermeen in March of this year I remember looking at the 75 min guys thinking they were absolute machines and wondering what it takes to get to that level. Little did I know I'd be there myself 6 months later and here I am still complaining :pac:

March - 1:21:50
    June - 1:18:40
    July - 1:16:17
    September - 1:15:40

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

That's a savage run, really well done.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

thats superb progress. Amazing time.

I predicted a sub 1.16:30 and what did you do....:) Great stuff.

Quick question. Did you do the run on empty?

Cheers man, I should get you to predict more of my races!

Yeah pretty much on empty, had a coffee when I woke up and a banana about 30 mins before the race. I don't always have a banana and I don't know if it makes a difference, just something I started doing recently.

The feed I had in Luigi Malones the evening beforehand meant I was sufficiently fuelled (on toblerone cheesecake)

The feed I had in Luigi the Malones the evening beforehand meant I was sufficiently fuelled (on toblerone cheesecake)

There was me keeping my diet clean this week, hoping it helped me towards a good run :pac:

yaboya1 wrote: »
    There was me keeping my diet clean this week, hoping it helped me towards a good run :pac:

Ah here how long have you been running, everyone knows toblerone cheesecake makes you faster!

(actually no I don't want to be responsible for sabotaging your race, DO NOT eat cheesecake all week, it was a rare treat I swear)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Right - I've committed myself to reading your 'marathon journey' blog from the start.
    Let it be known people that there'll be not much work done in this cube today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Ah here how long have you been running, everyone knows toblerone cheesecake makes you faster!

(actually no I don't want to be responsible for sabotaging your race, DO NOT eat cheesecake all week, it was a rare treat I swear)

FFS, ya bollix. Aren't you the lad on the rant thread that was on about having to buy kids clothes and your eating fecking cheesecake. All I have to do is look at a dessert and my pants buttons start poppin :)

TbL

Right - I've committed myself to reading your 'marathon journey' blog from the start.
    Let it be known people that there'll be not much work done in this cube today :)

I apologise in advance :pac:

BTW that was Rotterdam not Dublin, I haven't been blogging this journey except for my logs here
    FFS, ya bollix. Aren't you the lad on the rant thread that was on about having to buy kids clothes and your eating fecking cheesecake. All I have to do is look at a dessert and my pants buttons start poppin :)

It's no ordinary cheesecake, it's got toblerone! You can't go to Luigi Malones and not have it. Believe me if it was a regular occurrence I wouldn't be buying kids clothes :D

• Advertisement

Just make sure to have two slices of cheese cake the night before the marathon.....!

Has your approach to the marathon changed now? Do you plan pace it any differently after the weekends result? It must have given you a big confidence boost.

Lastly! What the fueling plan for the morning of race day. Tempted to run on empty??

Advertisement