Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Caught speeding while under the speed limit?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭IsThisOneFree

ironclaw wrote: »
    Theoretically it can take 6 months
    Nice to see that all areas of the public sector are equally inefficient then !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

I have seen this flash from the rear of a gosafe marked van which was on the M7/M8 up on a mound. So yes you will see a flash, but its not a real flash if you know what I mean. Wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself.

Pretty unusual to see it on the motorway as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I have seen this flash from the rear of a gosafe marked van which was on the M7/M8 up on a mound. So yes you will see a flash, but its not a real flash if you know what I mean. Wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself.

Pretty unusual to see it on the motorway as well!

Then it wasn't a GoSafe van. They have no operational remit on any motorway in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Nice to see that all areas of the public sector are equally inefficient then !!

Its got nothing to do with efficiency; by law the Gardai have up to six months to process the offense. In reality it usually takes much less time than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Then it wasn't a GoSafe van. They have no operational remit on any motorway in the country.

I'm quite sure it was GoSafe, the garda speed vans are practically unmarked and I have seen those many times before, once on the M1 near swords for example.

The GoSafe map on the Garda website includes marked zones on the M7.
    Take a look at Naas & Kill on the map.
    http://www.garda.ie/GoSafe.htm
    The Garda speed vans don't have to operate within these zones so they wouldn't bother marking the M7 on the map if they were using their own vans.

If you can post up a link or something where they say GoSafe don't operate on motorways it would be appreciated.

• Advertisement

I'm quite sure it was GoSafe, the garda speed vans are practically unmarked and I have seen those many times before, once on the M1 near swords for example.

If you can post up a link or something where they say GoSafe don't operate on motorways it would be appreciated.

Ah yes. I keep forgetting that section in Naas / Kill as in my head I don't really class it as a motorway versus say the newer sections around the country. Stand corrected.. Doesn't really make sense to me as a zone given that its 120km/h anyway :confused:

That section at Kill isnt motorway.

The next section however is, although its strange that I dont recall ever having seen a speed camera sign on that stretch of M7.

There is also the issue with that section that there is no safe place for a speed van to pull in that doesnt involve them parking in the hard shoulder (which makes a mockery of the idea of the vans being there for safety...) Im not sure where that GoSafe zone starts, but the only safe place for them to pull in is a "Garda Only" layby at the end of the Johnstown exit ramp onto the N7 just before the Naas exit and the start of the M7. I have seen Garda there many times but never a GoSafe van.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Go safe:rolleyes: van is regularly on the motorway heading east between the Naas north and Naas south exits. They are parked in a Garda only area and it's a 120 kph zone.

Go safe:rolleyes: van is regularly on the motorway heading east between the Naas north and Naas south exits. They are parked in a Garda only area and it's a 120 kph zone.

Wheres the Garda only area between Naas north and Naas south exits?

There is signs alright for the start of the zone when you merge from the Cork / Waterford motorway. But I always thought it was a mistake as surely to be 'safe' you wouldn't park a van on the hard shoulder of a motorway. Of course, common sense ain't all the common especially in the upper echelons of the RSA / AGS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

djimi wrote: »

Was there yesterday and forgot to look, will look tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

djimi wrote: »

There's a speed camera sign just at the on-ramp at J10 eastbound. And the Garda only area is about half a KM after that. There's also another zone about a KM before the J9 exit eastbound, it's not marked as Garda only but that's where I've seen the van at night. I don't think there's any zones westbound?

There's a speed camera sign just at the on-ramp at J10 eastbound. And the Garda only area is about half a KM after that. There's also another zone about a KM before the J9 exit eastbound, it's not marked as Garda only but that's where I've seen the van at night. I don't think there's any zones westbound?

There is and all. I dont drive that stretch of the M7 that much any more so I never noticed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

OK, I know that subject sounds a bit contradictory :-) But I'm slightly concerned about something that happened to me last Tuesday evening. Was a few miles East of Roscommon town (heading towards the town) when I encountered a mobile speed camera. There was a van infront of me, and both of us were doing about 80kmph in a 100 zone. As I passed the van, I noticed that the camera Flashed. As far as I know, they only take a picture if you're speeding, right ? But as I said, I was only doing 80kmph; I didn't see it flash as the van infront of me drove past, and obviously I can't have been going any faster than him, as there was only a few cars lengths between us.

So, what gives ? Am I just going mad ? Or do they sometimes take a pic even if you're not speeding ? Anybody ever encounter this before ? And in the worst case scenario, how would I prove I was only going 80 ?

I remember being flashed from my left side as I was entering a motorway en route to Limerick, over 6-months ago and nothing ever came of it. Not quite at motorway speed at that time, so maybe that's why. Did startle me though. Often been on that road since and only ever seen Garda cars parked up, not so discreetly.

Can they or would they photoshop images?
    yop wrote: »
    I got flashed by a van at that exact spot maybe 2 years ago and didn't get a ticket. I was doing ROUGHLY 102/104kmph in a 100kmph zone.
    As myself and others have said on numerous, numerous threads:

GoSafe: No visible flash. Very faint red / orange glow, particularly at night. Easily spotted on DVRs.

Garda: Yes, some do still flash white both day and night. However, most have been converted / swapped out and no longer flash. If they do flash, they'll pretty much take your cornea's out and you'll know all about it.

Seeing or not seeing a flash is by no means an indication of if you have been caught. GoSafe and Garda have been known to flash all cars passing, mostly the Infrared systems and you can see it clearly on DVR. There is another phenomenon as mentioned earlier in this thread where you headlights / sunlight hit the camera / flash unit / lens and you get a reflection, resembling a flash from the rear of the van.

Vans can take a photo of a car coming towards or going away from the rear doors of the van only.

As regards the '10% rule' thats on your side. Your speedo will generally overread by 5 to 10%. So, at 80km/h on your speedo, your probably doing closer to 75km/h in reality. All speed detection equipment in the country is accurate to about +/- 3km/h on a really bad day. Its generally accepted you will be done for inexcess of 3km/h over the limit. So, putting it all together, to be done in a 80km/h zone, your speedo would be showing north of 90km/h i.e. No excuses.

Feel free to copy and paste this in other threads. Its getting seriously annoying that people just don't search these answers.

One time the flashing speed sign was telling me 41kph, on looking down it looked more like 45kph in the 50kph-zone.

~

The part highlighted by me is certainly true. Reminds me of this one night: Family friends were staying in a hotel in town. I joined everyone after work and stayed until well after mid-night. Came out and as I was getting into drivers seat someone took a picture. The flash blind-sided me. On looking over, just managed to see someone was running through a car-park directly opposite where my car was parked.

Still don't know what that was about.
    kerry4sam

Advertisement