Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Great post by Padkir on the breakdown of the game.
    No way I could rewatch it at all, let alone in such detail.

But the one thing that struck me was that eventhoug Mayo were cleaned out in the middle (their supposed area of strength), had AOS and COC suffering from the clash of heads and had Donaghey getting the better of Caff. in the air, they still were in the game until the very last.

Sadly that only confirms for me that it was such a missed opportunity.

And it also confirms to me that Kerry are not that good and are in the final by virtue of the soft side of the AB system.

By the way Mayo have of course benefited from that soft side also.

Kerry shot 10 scores from 30 attempts in play a rate of 30% in the replay.

Basically Kerry had a real disaster of a day in terms of shooting from play the last day, but it looks very much like a one-off as opposed to the norm from Kerry.

In the 3 championship games prior to this, Kerry shot 53 from 85 attempts 62.35%

Also it wasn't the case that it was poor defences in the Cork and Galway games pushing these figures up, as in the prior Mayo game Kerry shot 15 from 24 (62.5%) - pretty much scoring at the exact same rate against the Mayo defence as they managed against the Cork and Galway defences.

The reason Mayo had the opportunity was largely because Kerry had a real off day in terms of shots from play.

All figures from the excellent Dont Foul site.

http://dontfoul.wordpress.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Any else disappointed none of last years minors made a proper case for a place in the senior set up?

Or are the seniors just too good?

Any else disappointed none of last years minors made a proper case for a place in the senior set up?

The notion of minors automatically stepping up to senior football is pretty much completely dead unless they fall into the physical freaks category - just look at the tiny number of players even competing for YPOTY U21 this year.

It's a case of players stepping up from U21 you need to be looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

TBH they were a tad young to step up,Diarmuid O Connor got his chance in Roscommon..too raw.Believe Stephen Coen was brought into the panel for one of the games.There had been loads of talk post the AI minor final about Liam Irwin,never came to naught.

More disappointed that the likes of Conor O Shea who started against Roscommon,Evan Regan(poor in the under 21 game against Roscommon) did'nt get further opportunities.

Mystified as to what happened to Adam Gallagher,he looked so promising in the league,not so sure if Darren Coen was'nt simply up to the mark.Danny Kirby is well worth a try out next year and an injury free Cathal Carolan would be a useful addition to the set up.

TBF to James Horan,I'm not sure where all the missed talent is?Somebody mentioned Seamus Cunniffe for full back.

• Advertisement

Kalyke wrote: »

Currently 6/1 on Paddypower - might be worth a small punt, especially given the talk of some of McStay's team not being hugely popular.

Whatever you do, dont bet on Donie Buckley at 10/1 as he is going to be involved with the Kerry U21s next year. Similarly there is no way Jack O'Connor at 20/1 will be leaving the Kerry minor job next year, even if Kerry lose the minor final as he has a 2 year term and next year's Kerry minors are also regarded as likely to be a pretty decent crop.

There are a couple of other names in there that don't look anyway realistic - Canavan at 5/1 for instance given his woeful record with Fermanagh - people confusing the job of being able to analyse a game with video technology with preparing/coaching/managing a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭kerosene

Mayo could do worse than appoint Tony McEntee, I think he could be the man to get you over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭kerosene

I see he isnt even in the betting, I wonder what odds PP would give you? I might have a look at that tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

realweirdo wrote: »
    Bizarre post to be honest.

Mayo were an even bigger pub team in 2010. Lost to Longford and Sligo. Horan who was local turned them into AI contenders which could and should have won at least one AI.
    Most if not all our successful managers of the last 63 years have been from Mayo. O'Mahoney, Maughan, Horan.

We tried outsiders...Jack O'Se...20 point defeat to Cork...Brian McDonald, not much better, Mickey Moran, hammering to Kerry in 2006. The results were average to poor.

Most counties these days tend to stay in house and for very good reasons.

All of the QFs this year had managers native to their own counties i believe. It was probably the same last year.

Being a county manager is almost a full time 6 day a week job. Its too much to expect someone living in Donegal or Fermanagh to give that committment to the Mayo team. They'd also have to attend a lot club games in mayo to see new talent. It would be unworkable.

Well we vary on our definition of "success"... While some management teams outperformed their respective teams ability eg Maughan '96 Moran '06 others unerperformed eg JOM's reign 2007-10..The bottom line is they all ultimately failed as did Horan..McGuinness and Gallagher succeded.

Horan brought a team with a lot of raw materials (U21 champs 2006 and All Ireland minor finalists) but little confidence and turned them into contenders...

McGuinness brought a team with very little talent (no all ireland finals at any underage grade) and even less confidence and turned them into Winners..According to people I know involved in the set up Gallagher's influence was on a par with McGuinness..

A young bright intelligent manager is very hard to find..From the short bit of evidence of his time with Kilcar Gallagher is a manager going places. Hes following exactly the same route McGuinness took with Glenties before taking over Donegal.

What I find laughable on this thread is people suggesting they woudnt take McGuinness never mind Gallagher..Are ye actually being serious?! The best manager of the past 20 years and maybe ever but he wouldn't be good enough for Mayo..Is it any wonder people are satisfied with failure year after year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

I see Conor Mortimer is 100/1. Enda Kenny good value at 500/1?

Seriously though, 16/1 for Ciaran McDonald is daft. No way it will happen ahead of BJP or Jack O'Connor. McDonald hasn't managed in any capacity as far as I know.

I think Boom__Boom is right in saying Noel could be worth a punt, far more likely than Peter Canavan in any event.

I wonder why the odds on Anthony McGarry are short? Have there been rumours going around about him?

McEntee is certainly looking for a post, he's quoted as much in the Irish News. Whether Mayo would be too far for him though is another thing. Would be great to have a club and county winner on board.

Surprised that Pat Holmes is listed but Liam McHale isn't, Holmes has ruled himself out of the running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,066 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Surprised that Pat Holmes is listed but Liam McHale isn't, Holmes has ruled himself out of the running.

Its "The Connaught" for God sake, when did they ever publish something with it being full of errors.

Its "The Connaught" for God sake, when did they ever publish something with it being full of errors.

I was talking about the Paddy Powers odds, not the Connaught. If they can quote for feckin Conor Mortimer or Enda Kenny then why not Liam McHale? Surely he'll be in the running for the job at some point in time.

jibber5000 wrote: »
    Well we vary on our definition of "success"... While some management teams outperformed their respective teams ability eg Maughan '96 Moran '06 others unerperformed eg JOM's reign 2007-10..The bottom line is they all ultimately failed as did Horan..McGuinness and Gallagher succeded.

Ironically enough Johnno's failed reign from 2007 - 10 was the result of him being out of the county more often than not thanks to him being a sitting TD! It was obvious there were political agendas at play at the time.

McGuinness and Gallagher succeeded yes but they were in their own county, would they be so effective if they had to travel down from Donegal 2-3 times a week, more if they want to scout out club matches? In an amateur game it's a big ask. Would he be willing to give up the Celtic role if the job was on the table?

I think if the right candidate was to emerge from within the county it would be prudent to appoint them. The team doesn't need a massive overhaul or a magician at this point in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

6/1 for Connelly seems enticing.

Regarding McStay, where is he based and how involved is he in Mayo at club level?

I remember talking to some Galway players a few years back, players who would have played under Peter Forde, Joe Kernan (i.e. outside managers). They really felt outside managers were not the way to go, simply because they didnt know the players or the clubs well enough. It is very difficult for an outside manager to judge a player after just a couple of matches. For example, lets say Jack O'Connor is appointed. You would wonder how well he would know the likes of Cathal Carolan whereas somebody like Connelly would probably have watched him a fair bit at underage and know a lot of his strengths.

I think if the right candidate was to emerge from within the county it would be prudent to appoint them. The team doesn't need a massive overhaul or a magician at this point in time.

Really does seem an evolution rather than revolution situation.

Interesting to note that Fitzmaurice, McGuinness and Gavin all managed their county U21 sides before moving up to senior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Regarding McStay, where is he based and how involved is he in Mayo at club level?

I remember talking to some Galway players a few years back, players who would have played under Peter Forde, Joe Kernan (i.e. outside managers). They really felt outside managers were not the way to go, simply because they didnt know the players or the clubs well enough. It is very difficult for an outside manager to judge a player after just a couple of matches. For example, lets say Jack O'Connor is appointed. You would wonder how well he would know the likes of Cathal Carolan whereas somebody like Connelly would probably have watched him a fair bit at underage and know a lot of his strengths.

Wasn't he managing St Brigids, Roscommon the last few years?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

realweirdo wrote: »
    All of the QFs this year had managers native to their own counties i believe. It was probably the same last year.

Malachy O'Rourke is a Fermanagh man.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Kerry shot 10 scores from 30 attempts in play a rate of 30% in the replay.

Basically Kerry had a real disaster of a day in terms of shooting from play the last day, but it looks very much like a one-off as opposed to the norm from Kerry.

In the 3 championship games prior to this, Kerry shot 53 from 85 attempts 62.35%

Also it wasn't the case that it was poor defences in the Cork and Galway games pushing these figures up, as in the prior Mayo game Kerry shot 15 from 24 (62.5%) - pretty much scoring at the exact same rate against the Mayo defence as they managed against the Cork and Galway defences.

The reason Mayo had the opportunity was largely because Kerry had a real off day in terms of shots from play.

All figures from the excellent Dont Foul site.

http://dontfoul.wordpress.com/

That is a good point I'll admit, Kerry did have some uncharacteristic wides

What is the feeling in Mayo about Connelly ?

Looking at it from a distance he has a couple of positive attributes.
    1. He is young - younger managers tend to be more inclined to develop current strategies and 'professionalism', for the use of a better word, in their setup and preparation
    2. He has had success at U-21 level
    3. He has been to an All Ireland final, obviously it's 20 years or so ago at this stage but it's still worth something I think.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Really does seem an evolution rather than revolution situation.

Interesting to note that Fitzmaurice, McGuinness and Gavin all managed their county U21 sides before moving up to senior.

Definitely
    the team needs to be freshened up rather than rebuilt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Cian Hanley has joined his brother Pearce in the AFL.

ColeTrain wrote: »

http://www.thescore.ie/cian-hanley-mayo-1653840-Sep2014/

Very disappointing for Mayo but best of luck to the lad. Didn't know he had torn his cruciate ligament in the semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭GBXI

http://www.thescore.ie/cian-hanley-mayo-1653840-Sep2014/

Very disappointing for Mayo but best of luck to the lad. Didn't know he had torn his cruciate ligament in the semi.

Great for him, sickening for Mayo. I'd say eh would have been brought straight onto the senior panel by the new manager. Bad week for Mayo football.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

ColeTrain wrote: »

Shame. Good for the lad but saw the interview with his brother on that cringey Afl show and it doesn't look like this stealing of our talented gaa players will end anytime soon. Hopefully in few years time the brothers might return. We would have won Sam with Pierce at 11 over the last couple years, no doubt about it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

gutted he is gone, said it coming up in the car on Sat night that he would be snared. We have lost 2 quality players to the AFL in the 2 brothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I would have thought Mayo supporters would have been unanimous in calling for Kevin McStay. He took on a St. Brigid's team who had been banging on All Ireland's door for half a decade and within one year he got them over the line, with a cherry on top of it being an almighty comeback against a Dublin team.

I'll take the point that Club Football is different from Inter County, but if you want your man to be 'in house' then surely he's everyones choice?

I would have thought Mayo supporters would have been unanimous in calling for Kevin McStay. He took on a St. Brigid's team who had been banging on All Ireland's door for half a decade and within one year he got them over the line, with a cherry on top of it being an almighty comeback against a Dublin team.

I'll take the point that Club Football is different from Inter County, but if you want your man to be 'in house' then surely he's everyones choice?

The in-house choice is Noel Connolly. No offence to McStay but he is not involved with Mayo football like Noel is. I'd also see Noel as the most natural replacement for the best manager we've ever had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Kevin McStay is my number one choice to be honest. Hope he gets an interview

Kevin McStay is my number one choice to be honest. Hope he gets an interview

Why McStay over Connolly? Would you not see McStay seriously lacking in the motivational aspects of management compared to Connolly? Not to mention Connolly has been involved in club and underage development teams in recent years whereas McStay, outside of his Brigid's stint, has been a pundit on RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

Don't know much about Connolly but it sounds like you have two good potential managers, could be worse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement