Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Panrich

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Connolly would be my choice, knows the game, the county and the set up and is strong enough to handle the pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

seligehgit wrote: »
    TBH they were a tad young to step up,Diarmuid O Connor got his chance in Roscommon..too raw.Believe Stephen Coen was brought into the panel for one of the games.There had been loads of talk post the AI minor final about Liam Irwin,never came to naught.

More disappointed that the likes of Conor O Shea who started against Roscommon,Evan Regan(poor in the under 21 game against Roscommon) did'nt get further opportunities.

Mystified as to what happened to Adam Gallagher,he looked so promising in the league,not so sure if Darren Coen was'nt simply up to the mark.Danny Kirby is well worth a try out next year and an injury free Cathal Carolan would be a useful addition to the set up.

TBF to James Horan,I'm not sure where all the missed talent is?Somebody mentioned Seamus Cunniffe for full back.
    One of the things setup under the strategic review was the Mayo Academy for players aged 18 -22. As far as I am aware it is still in operation. Players receive the support they need which at that age is mainly off-pitch habits.
    I was surprised Stephen Coen and Diarmuid O'Connor were involved in the setup this year. As someone mentioned only physical minors can step straight into Senior Grade.
    We have been poor at converting those Academy players.
    Since Cillian there hasn't been any young player making an impact in the championship.
    We seem to anoint players from minor teams early and cast the rest aside in terms of senior selection. It will be expected that Coen/O'Connor will feature next year.
    What would people think of tracking online all panel members of each minor team in terms of performances in games? Profile for each player. Can attach a performance review in a game to any player.
    I think it's the most effect way to find alternatives for full back.
    I know of a case where in one season a few years ago a Mayo Club Division 1 full back went on a streak of games where he had barely conceded to his direct opponent from play. It was something like five or six games and I remember that it was just one point conceded. You can't be lucky for 300 minutes of football in Division 1 would be my view.
    To find your full back you look at height/weight of players in their profile and check scoring concession and how many times they lose the ball when in posession. Gives you a list of a few guys to monitor. Or you check out the amount of players over six foot rated as having pace.
    Basically a proper online player tracker is not rocket science and there is plenty online community interested to submit game reviews for players.
    Give people a simple template to fill in online to collect the same stats for every player. If too busy for that simply rate out of 10 and add some rating notes to the review of the players game performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

The only problem with Ger Cafferkey is confidence and that hes just come back from an injury. He was the best full-back in the country in 2012 IMO and was right up there in 2013.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Thought it testament to the way the team are drilled that AOS saying in his OTB interview that even with a 7 point lead at one stage the team knew they weren't at the level they're capable of. Missed opportunity perhaps as although we left it all there in the end, it was definitely nowhere near an efficient Mayo performance from the standard set over 2-3 years. Looking forward to next year already mind!

Missed opportunities has always summed up Mayo. Really good teams when they go ahead up it another gear and go out of sight. They know they are better than the other team and have the confidence to kick on and open their game up a bit more.
    Mayo on the otherhand seem to drop it a gear when they go ahead. Final last year against Dublin, first game against Kerry when they were blowing Kerry off the field in the second half, first half of replay.

There is no way they should have let Kerry back into that game in Limerick. Easier said than done I know, but they could and should have put the game beyond doubt. The ref didn't help, but you always felt Mayo were going to blow a big lead.

• Advertisement

Malachy O'Rourke is a Fermanagh man.

Thanks for that, I wasn't sure. At most you'd accept a manager from a neighbouring county such as John O'Mahoney did when he managed Galway. It would be about a 40 minute drive for him to Tuam which is where I think most of the Galway training was done.

But bringing guys down from Donegal or Armagh, or up from Kerry, its a backward step in my view. Tony McEntee for example would have to set off at lunchtime and he'd be back home 2am. Does anyone think that's sustainable on a long term basis. The same with Jack O'Connor.

The game moves on rapidly too. What Donegal used to achieve success in 2012 is probably somewhat obsolete now.

The only problem with Ger Cafferkey is confidence and that hes just come back from an injury. He was the best full-back in the country in 2012 IMO and was right up there in 2013.

True. He was also not helped by the fact Mayo didn't really have a sweeper from what I could see.

The danger is not always from Donaghy, it's usually from the guy bursting through running off his shoulder.

Take JOD for example. Without Donaghy he often gets the ball 30 or 40 yards out and is expected to make something from it. He's never going to win a high ball into the full forward line. He struggled to get past Higgins for most of the first game.

On comes Donaghy and suddenly JOD is getting fed the ball right on front of the posts.

I'd be less worried about marking Donaghy than marking JOD in those situations. Defenders pay too much attention to Donaghy and not enough to other forwards he'd give the ball to.

GBXI wrote: »
    Why McStay over Connolly? Would you not see McStay seriously lacking in the motivational aspects of management compared to Connolly? Not to mention Connolly has been involved in club and underage development teams in recent years whereas McStay, outside of his Brigid's stint, has been a pundit on RTE.

McStay was manager of an All Ireland final winning team. Connolly was an assistant manager of an All-Ireland final losing team. There's a key difference there. For me McStay edges it.

Reaching a final is one thing, winning one is something much more. You have to have tactics spot on, subs at right time, mental attitude right etc.

I can't see Connolly getting the job ahead of McStay to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Would there be anything said for McStay AND Connolly getting the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Isnt it Connelly and not Connolly?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

It is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Would there be anything said for McStay AND Connolly getting the job?

They're ALL lovely managers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Very good. Like what you did there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

And pronounced Con-ELLY. Unless it's one of those things where everyone outside the county says Connolly and only true Mayo people pronounce it that way. Like saying Reape as 'rape'...

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭GBXI

realweirdo wrote: »
    McStay was manager of an All Ireland final winning team. Connolly was an assistant manager of an All-Ireland final losing team. There's a key difference there. For me McStay edges it.

Reaching a final is one thing, winning one is something much more. You have to have tactics spot on, subs at right time, mental attitude right etc.

I can't see Connolly getting the job ahead of McStay to be honest.

What are you on about? Connelly was assistant manager of an AI winning Mayo U21 team in 06. And as I pointed out above, he is heavily involved with Mayo football whereas McStay is not. Connelly's credentials way out-weigh McStay's at at this point in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I thought I'd throw up a link to this article in de'paper about the Mayo situation.

Sounds like the board are being a bit "political" here with their talk of restrictions on money and also the whole club v county area.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/mayo-board-puts-tight-restrictions-on-new-boss-285039.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

What has Liam McHale done to be disliked by the players so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭GBXI

What has Liam McHale done to be disliked by the players so much?

Ah in fairness, as brilliant a football as he was, he's a bit of a flute.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    I thought I'd throw up a link to this article in de'paper about the Mayo situation.

Sounds like the board are being a bit "political" here with their talk of restrictions on money and also the whole club v county area.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/mayo-board-puts-tight-restrictions-on-new-boss-285039.html

What do you mean by 'political'? They are dead right to set down criteria, Horan and the board didnt exactly have a great relationship a the best of times

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Panrich

Not too sure about Connelly. Himself and Holmes did well in 2006 but we lost three consecutive semi finals after that with teams that looked on paper to be good enough to emulate the 2006 team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Im starting to get swayed towards Connelly.. dont like the talk of Mayo players not liking McStays backroom staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

I don't recall any player saying at any stage they don't want or dislike McHale.
    People are making assumptions that because some fans think he is arrogant/dislikeable that the players feel the same.
    If he does come in and has something to offer along with McStay it won't be an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

I think Gilvarry is 4/5 years too early to be given the job. McStay is best option but McHale will need to keep schtum regards his media duties. No more than DB can mouth bit too much at times

Rockfish wrote: »
    What do you mean by 'political'? They are dead right to set down criteria, Horan and the board didnt exactly have a great relationship a the best of times

It just seemed a bit odd to me - sounds a bit like they are more concerned about having an easy life and not having any rows as opposed to getting in the best possible man for the job, even if he was a pain in the hole.

I'm not saying that there should be any issue with the board setting down criteria under which the manager will have to work (that makes total sense) but coming out to the press and public and demanding assurances in writing before they have even interviewed anyone seems to be a bit strange to me.
    If the board have certain criteria that they expect the manager to work with regarding cash and fixtures, surely that should be a behind-closed-doors matter.

The fact of looking for assurances in writing seems to be very odd in terms of putting your trust in a new manager and backing them and establishing a decent working relationship.

I could be way of the mark here. Maybe someone who knows more about the county board setup and how things went with Horan may know more?

Posted the article as I thought it was a bit strange/unusual and also because I doubt the Examiner sells many copies in Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭royster999

Looking like Tony McEntee will be taking the Down job.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    It just seemed a bit odd to me - sounds a bit like they are more concerned about having an easy life and not having any rows as opposed to getting in the best possible man for the job, even if he was a pain in the hole.

I'm not saying that there should be any issue with the board setting down criteria under which the manager will have to work (that makes total sense) but coming out to the press and public and demanding assurances in writing before they have even interviewed anyone seems to be a bit strange to me.
    If the board have certain criteria that they expect the manager to work with regarding cash and fixtures, surely that should be a behind-closed-doors matter.

The fact of looking for assurances in writing seems to be very odd in terms of putting your trust in a new manager and backing them and establishing a decent working relationship.

I could be way of the mark here. Maybe someone who knows more about the county board setup and how things went with Horan may know more?

Posted the article as I thought it was a bit strange/unusual and also because I doubt the Examiner sells many copies in Mayo

The relationship with Horan had gone very sour, he threatened to resign over the issue of club matches and the co board called his bluff. Also he never informed the county board he was resigning before announcing it publicly and by last Monday afternoon no one n the co board had been notified officially of his decision.

Rockfish wrote: »
    The relationship with Horan had gone very sour, he threatened to resign over the issue of club matches and the co board called his bluff. Also he never informed the county board he was resigning before announcing it publicly and by last Monday afternoon no one n the co board had been notified officially of his decision.

Knew the relationship wasnt great but hadnt heard/noticed/remembered the bit about the resigning over the club matches issue.

Seems like they are almost gearing up to go to war with the next manager from the get-go because they are assuming he will be as spiky and awkward as Horan which seems a bit mental and not a good way to go into the whole interview process.

When you consider the serious pressure the next manager is going to be under from the get-go, I really don't think it's the wisest course of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭FaganJr

km79 wrote: »
    I don't recall any player saying at any stage they don't want or dislike McHale.
    People are making assumptions that because some fans think he is arrogant/dislikeable that the players feel the same.
    If he does come in and has something to offer along with McStay it won't be an issue

There is an issue with the players and as such McStay will never get the job as long as he's involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

FaganJr wrote: »
    There is an issue with the players and as such McStay will never get the job as long as he's involved!

But he doesn't have to have a central role:
    Dougal-_cornerflag.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭FaganJr

But he doesn't have to have a central role:
    "Any" Role!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement