Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

On another note; do BA grads have the option to do the h.dip through mary i or do they have to go to UL or wherever?

I've been looking into it myself and so far I think it's UCC, UCD, NUIG and NUIM that do it, Trinity was mentioned too. That's what I got after a half an hour of Googling so I can't say for certain :o

Offering the H-Dip as a post-grad of sorts would certainly be a boost to the place :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

131spanner wrote: »
    Hard to believe Liberal Arts is down to 325 now, having been around 400 five or so years ago. Pretty steep drop, I wonder what the future holds?

If you look beyond the number of points required, you'll see that demand for the course is actually up, as are the numbers taking it:
    The Liberal Arts Degree at MIC continues to grow in popularity witnessing a remarkable 52% increase in first preferences. As a result the College has decided to increase the number of places available by 20% to 300 places with CAO points set at 325*.

That's taken from the article on the MIC homepage.

The drop in points may be explained, in part, by the fact that they took in an additional 50 students this year.

Now, that could be a 52% increase from a year with a particularly low number of applications.

The points level of a course is seen (rightly or wrongly) as a proxy measure of the esteem in which the college/course is held. When a college increases the number of places, the points will typically drop. I'd imagine there is a trade-off between having more students (presumably without more funding) and the points level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭CailinGaillimh

I've been looking into it myself and so far I think it's UCC, UCD, NUIG and NUIM that do it, Trinity was mentioned too. That's what I got after a half an hour of Googling so I can't say for certain :o

Offering the H-Dip as a post-grad of sorts would certainly be a boost to the place :)

Ah okay :-) I was sure a past b.ed mentioned something about being able to stay on for a year, something to do with their arts subjects.. but that was about 3/4 years ago..

The h.dip would actually be great even if it was for just languages/history/geography. I know we haven't the set up for science subjects. But the others could potentially be offered!!

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

I've been talking to my Arts friends recently and we commented how the SU is really helpful when it comes to putting up job opportunities for the B.Eds but rarely (if ever) is there anything for the Arts graduates. I was wondering if there was a reason for this or...? Like, is the thinking behind it 'Sure their course is so broad so let them use Monster.ie etc.'?

I've graduated (no job so far :() so I don't want to get into an Arts vs. B.eds debate because its pointless but at times it has been obvious that the college is hugely biased towards the teachers. I've heard the rumours for the past few years that they were trying to make it a strictly teaching college but surely while it is still teaching Arts then there should be some love (:p) thrown the Arts way?

Hi Ciderswigger, thanks for the feedback. No conspiracy here though I'm afraid :cool: it's just a case of if people don't send us in the jobs we can't advertise them. Basically what happens here in the office is that people contact us with employment opportunities, we don't contact them, if we get a job sent into us we put it online for you all to see. The truth of the matter as you know is that the outside world primarily sees Mary I as a college of Education so therefore we are first port of call when people are looking for teachers, hence the abundance of positions we post. We would love if more people got in touch with jobs which suited Arts graduates so if by any chance there are employers reading this please do feel free to get in contact with us :)

Hope this helps and explains the situation a bit better

dambarude wrote: »
    If you look beyond the number of points required, you'll see that demand for the course is actually up, as are the numbers taking it:

That's taken from the article on the MIC homepage.

The drop in points may be explained, in part, by the fact that they took in an additional 50 students this year.

Now, that could be a 52% increase from a year with a particularly low number of applications.

The points level of a course is seen (rightly or wrongly) as a proxy measure of the esteem in which the college/course is held. When a college increases the number of places, the points will typically drop. I'd imagine there is a trade-off between having more students (presumably without more funding) and the points level.

Top post, I'd wrongly assumed points were decided solely by demand!

Has the content of the course changed much in the past 5 years? There can't be a massive difference in levels of ability between people getting 400 and 325, but it's a difference none the less. I'm just wondering does the course difficulty change as the entrance requirements do? :) (I'm assuming not)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Top post, I'd wrongly assumed points were decided solely by demand!

Points *do* give an indication of demand. It depends on the point levels of the students who are applying. 300 people with 500 plus could apply for the BA, and the points would then be 500+.

I'm not saying that demand hasn't dropped. It likely *has* dropped, but the drop might not be as severe as it seems at first look.

I'd imagine the course difficulty does not change.

I can only surmise that the BA subjects are in a state of flux due to the changes to the B.Ed. Changes to the numbers doing each Arts subject has likely led to the increase in the cohort accepted this year. B.Eds now only do a few modules from the BA subjects, if any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

Hi Ciderswigger, thanks for the feedback. No conspiracy here though I'm afraid :cool: it's just a case of if people don't send us in the jobs we can't advertise them. Basically what happens here in the office is that people contact us with employment opportunities, we don't contact them, if we get a job sent into us we put it online for you all to see. The truth of the matter as you know is that the outside world primarily sees Mary I as a college of Education so therefore we are first port of call when people are looking for teachers, hence the abundance of positions we post. We would love if more people got in touch with jobs which suited Arts graduates so if by any chance there are employers reading this please do feel free to get in contact with us :)

Hope this helps and explains the situation a bit better

Hey guys, thanks for the reply. I wonder if the careers office could contact the businesses that are used for 3rd year placements and let them know that they are always welcome to pass on job opportunities to the college. A generic email would do so there wouldn't be too much effort involved. Anyways, its just something that I wanted to mention cos its hard enough as it is to get a job and if your college can help then its a plus. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Does anyone know the story with going on Erasmus and being I'll? I've a lifelong disease that needs fairly constant managing. I've left Uni twice before over how severe it gets. Just wondering do have any policy to speak of?

Hey guys, thanks for the reply. I wonder if the careers office could contact the businesses that are used for 3rd year placements and let them know that they are always welcome to pass on job opportunities to the college. A generic email would do so there wouldn't be too much effort involved. Anyways, its just something that I wanted to mention cos its hard enough as it is to get a job and if your college can help then its a plus. :)

Cool, point taken on board and we'll see what we can do :)

Does anyone know the story with going on Erasmus and being I'll? I've a lifelong disease that needs fairly constant managing. I've left Uni twice before over how severe it gets. Just wondering do have any policy to speak of?

Hi Un Croissant, best option would be to speak to Maeve in the placement office in confidence, the guys are very good up above and will help in any way they can. You can get Maeve on maeve.sullivan@mic.ul.ie or 061-204307

• Advertisement

Should we expect timetables soon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Should we expect timetables soon?

Knowing Mary I, I expect it to be available at 8 am on the 8th of September :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Dark.Horse

Was just going to ask the same would like to see a timetable soon! Says on the site expected mid-August but obviously still waiting :/

I know they hand them out at orientation next week so Friday should see it finalised?

I know they hand them out at orientation next week so Friday should see it finalised?

I would be confident enough in saying that we should have them by Friday at the latest.. However, as pointed put above; it IS Mary I!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I wanna go back! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

Me too!!!! :(

Hey gang, I've forgotten my Student Email password, where can I go to get help? :)

Edit: Never mind! Got it sorted :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I am!!!! Couldn't keep away from the place ;)

Next Monday or Tuesday for timetables is what student services said :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 df123

I hope it's okay to post this here! I'm having tremendous difficulty enrolling for my course (Liberal Arts, Mary I). I am a re-admissions student and I have the same student id as I had last year (in UL). When I try to log in to the portal it's saying that I have an invalid username/password, which I find really frustrating because the letter from Mary I said use that id and they reset the password :/ Just wondering did anyone ever have a similar experience and how was it sorted? I have e-mailed the admissions office today and I am waiting for a reply, I'm just starting to panic! :P

df123 wrote: »
    I hope it's okay to post this here! I'm having tremendous difficulty enrolling for my course (Liberal Arts, Mary I). I am a re-admissions student and I have the same student id as I had last year (in UL). When I try to log in to the portal it's saying that I have an invalid username/password, which I find really frustrating because the letter from Mary I said use that id and they reset the password :/ Just wondering did anyone ever have a similar experience and how was it sorted? I have e-mailed the admissions office today and I am waiting for a reply, I'm just starting to panic! :P

Use your pin from UL for accessing your results -hopefully that will sort it :-)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

df123 wrote: »

did you manage to get sorted?

I had to use my original log in details, as the new ones they sent me wouldn't work. But with my original ones, logged straight back in and got sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 df123

My password from last year didn't work so instead of waiting for admissions to reply to the email, I rang the computer dept and thankfully they sorted it out over the phone by changing my password for me. They were ever so helpful and it only took about five minutes so I was well impressed! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Timetables "should" be available by the end of next week, according to Facebook. I'm still with the other poster who said we wont get them until 8am on the 8th of September. :rolleyes:

kevin12345 wrote: »
    Timetables "should" be available by the end of next week, according to Facebook. I'm still with the other poster who said we wont get them until 8am on the 8th of September. :rolleyes:

I saw that. Was in student services just five minutes ago and saw a lady with the timetables :/

I saw that. Was in student services just five minutes ago and saw a lady with the timetables :/

Please tell me you tackled her and took pictures of each timetable? O:-)

Please tell me you tackled her and took pictures of each timetable? O:-)

Better yet, I tackled her and suggested it was in everyone's interest to give me a three day week. :D

Better yet, I tackled her and suggested it was in everyone's interest to give me a three day week. :D

Hmmmmmmm...it doesn't seem to have worked :( I thought you'd have scared her into releasing them ASAP! Looks like you've had the opposite effect :P

• Advertisement

Hmmmmmmm...it doesn't seem to have worked :( I thought you'd have scared her into releasing them ASAP! Looks like you've had the opposite effect :P

Eight request for information on timetables on the SU fb page and not one reply. <mod edit>

Advertisement