Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭KMFCross

yop wrote: »
    Ah ya, its just my own opinion, he seems like a lad who is well fit to break down a game, but doing it via video evidence and in the stand compared to the heat of a game, then we will see what he does.

One thing I didn't like was when we played Ros last winter in Cbar he sat behind me with the Ros county board members and jeered our lads who were been hammered out the door, I was shocked when I turned around to find it was him. Just didn't like it. Anyway thats irrelevant to him getting the job.

Who else is there?

I can't see us going outside the county as the funds are probably low.

Holmes, Maughan, McStay. No one else really I can think of.

Thats bad form from him taunting a Mayo team alright, but i he was managing a Rossie team at the time so that obviously was the main reason.

Pat Holmes could be a good man for the Job alright.

Maughan I don't know tbh.

Mchale is an option but I would expect if McStay got the job he would be a selector.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Agreed I think Kevin McStay would be a very positive appointment,he appears to be a good reader of the game,possessing of a tactical nous.As mentioned he's a winner,no mean feat to bring St. Brigid's to All Ireland glory in the club championship.

For all James Horan brought in terms of conditioning and fitness,professionalism and a particular off loading game plan,McStay may possess of a greater tactical awareness,make switches quicker and most importantly read the game better.There needs to be a Plan B if things go awry.I do not believe the issues with certain players would be as likely to occur.Retention of Horan's backroom would be worthy of consideration although he might well wish to start with a clear slate.

Freshness and new ideas is what the players need,I wish them a good long break for the winter...so so proud of all your efforts.However much we're hurting,it's magnified a multitude of times for them.For James Horan best of luck for the future,thanks for the last four years...so much joy and at the same time tinged with regret.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

seligehgit wrote: »
    Agreed I think Kevin McStay would be a very positive appointment,he appears to be a good reader of the game,possessing of a tactical nous.As mentioned he's a winner,no mean feat to bring St. Brigid's to All Ireland glory in the club championship.

For all James Horan brought in terms of conditioning and fitness,professionalism and a particular off loading game plan,McStay may possess of a greater tactical awareness,make switches quicker and most importantly read the game better.I do not believe the issues with certain players would be as likely to occur.Retention of Horan's backroom would be worthy of consideration although he might well wish to start with a clear slate.

Freshness and new ideas is what the players need,I wish them a good long break for the winter...so so proud of all your efforts.However much we're hurting,it's magnified a multitude of times for them.For James Horan best of luck for the future,thanks for the last four years...so much joy and at the same time tinged with regret.

Totally the point, in a good few games he was slow or didn't make the change.
    That along with the so called class of personality, if you believe it, with Evan (right name?) Regan and Adam Gallagher, both who are meant to be promising lads and the blatant shocking treatment of Richie Feeney won't be missed with James departure.
    We also need a stroke of luck also, which I think honestly deserted us in the 2012 final, off the post into the paws of the Donegal lad and into the net and even yesterday, great block by higgins bounced into the path of Donaghy.

He probably is the stand out, outside of a dark horse we haven't thought off.

Tommy Lyons... :eek::pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Do we really want to be going back to John Maughan and Pat Holmes again?A regressive step in my book.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Do we really want to be going back to John Maughan and Pat Holmes again?A regressive step in my book.

Fk no!!! Not a chance. Thought what the state of the coffers are could dictate all this too.

• Advertisement

Fk no!!! Not a chance. Thought what the state of the coffers are could dictate all this too.

How much would a Mayo mangers job command?

KMFCross wrote: »
    How much would a Mayo mangers job command?

Not a clue, of course they don't get paid, but the expenses could clock up 20k a year?
    But thats totally a pie in the sky figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

I wonder has Horan any aspirations of managing another inter-county team?

SeanJ09 wrote: »

Jeebus.. Galway manager vacant...... don't depress me more

SeanJ09 wrote: »

Wouldn't think so at the moment, his main reasons for leaving the job now is a young family to raise.

• Advertisement

Donegal and Kerry brought some 20 year olds on successfully over the weekend. Mayo have been top of the pile in minors for a few years now. Surely there must be a few more coming through.

A couple of our full forwards are at retirement stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

Like a few posters have waited a while to comment on yesterday..

Couldnt make it down so only had the television coverage to go by which I know doesnt tell the whole story but here goes..

We're so close to the breakthrough its just heartbreaking when you think of the players who have pulled on the Mayo jersey for the last time - and be in no doubt 5 or 6 of the panel may not play for Mayo again - such a killer way to go out

1) Officiating
    We all know it was dreadful at times..7 officials involved and the amount of things missed were incredible..Along with the obvious highlighted ones include Enrights late hit on O Shea for COC's goal.For Kerrys first goal the sideline ball was taken a full 10 metres from where the ball went out..Incredible the linesman stood there watching..As Dara O Se said on Sky sure when a goal is scored/peno awarded thats enough punishment for a team.The mind boggles at the bias..
    Also the fact that it was solely Reilly that got Keegan sent off last Sunday and then hes reffing last night..Complete joke..He would have felt underminded more than coldrick by the rescinding of the red

2)Players
    Massive effort put in..Can't fault them..Just a pity that 4 of our biggest players last year are way off that form (McL Caff Keegan Barrett)..PLayers go through peaks and dips in form unfortunately ours all materialised at this time of the year..Real pity we didnt get through yesterday..Would have been massive for the confidence..PLayers like Parsons Conroy Doherty and Keane really put some demons to the sword yesterday and was delighted for Keane and Conroy much maligned players who really performed when the heat was on

3) Management
    Sorry to see Horan go..Did massive work and obv had great rapport with the players..However again on the line major mistakes..How he could leave Caff on Donaghy for so long after last weekend was chronic..It wasnt fair on the player..He just didnt have the build for him especially when he was not at peak form throughout the year..Did get unlucky with collision between AOS and COC but these are the obstacles that happen in matches

4) Way forward
    No major clean out needed..These players are so close its deserve to be given a new manager to work with..One thing id love to see is better fundraising overseas..Like Donegal could go on a 5 day camp last week due to overseas benefactors..Dublin have a bottomless pit of monet..Kerry got 400k in New York this year..What did Mayo get from the trip to New York..5k collected in a bucket!! The money is there to drive our team forward the CB just need to organise a proper overseas fundraising iniative

• Registered Users Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭threeball

Galway already said Galway man only, mainly cos we're broke.

There was a post here today somewhere that Horan was moving to the USA next year with his job, could be bull...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭threeball

I also think that if Galway won an all ireland with another mayo manager ye'd pull a russia on us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

There was one man I really would have loved to see manage us and that was Paidi O'Shea, he was as cute as fk and hard as nails. An honor to meet the man and read his book.
    If you watched Donegal today, they lumped into Dublin, punched them, kicked them, nailed them at EVERY turn. We need to do this, Caff was much too soft on Star yesterday, Keane roughed him up but of course Mrs Reilly gave him 2 of the softest frees you will ever see.

We need someone who will make the decisions. The more I think of Caff at full-back the more I think he isn't up to it. Against Donegal, Dublin and then 2 games this year he was beat up and over. Phyiscally pushed around the place.

In fairness Caff struggled all year. Apparently Brolly ridiculed him too which is disrespectful for a two time all star recipient. Caff has been a rock at 3 for Mayo, best since Cahill. He got the beating of Donaghy and other top forwards in the past too but of course that is forgotten by the 'expert'.

Unfortunately, that is the the main negative of Horans tenure; tactics and slow decision making in the heat of a game. Cafferky being left exposed and beaten all ends up at times by Donaghy just another example. Agree the next manager has to be more decisive and 'cute hoorish' on the line. But for that manager whoever it may be to continue on and even further what Horan and the people with him have given this Mayo team will be serious task too.

Ultimately it's down to the players though and what other lads come through to the seniors to offer depth and badly needed competition at this stage, ie Adam Gallagher, Stephen Coen, Danny Kirby, Evan Regan, Aidan Walsh. Not to mention the minors of last year to be blooded asap This is the greatest bunch of Mayo players this county has ever seen for generations. James Horan set the stall out to be consistently competitive at the top. He's certainly done that so in that mind its been a success without the main reward sadly.

There was a post here today somewhere that Horan was moving to the USA next year with his job, could be bull...

Heard he was offered a lucrative package with coca cola last year to move to US so there may be truth in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Maughan no chance. But has Holmes not got more tactically aware I suppose and more experienced in management to be worthy of consideration since he last had the job in 2001 (last time we won the league too!)? Bringing Castlebar to an All Ireland final was also a big achievement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Maughan and Holmes? Pass the bottle lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

jmayo wrote: »
    Agree with everything bar last sentence.

As for yesterday well we played a half decent Kerry team with some outstanding players (Moran being the best) and for chunks of the match a guy from Meath.

I think Horan, much like Maughan before, did a great job up to a point, but they both seemed to lack the tactical ability to ultimately land the big prize.
    Horan's biggest achievement I think was instilling a never say die attitude amongst a team that took a lot of body blows.
    Beaten in 2012, beaten in 2013 and still coming back for more.
    Hell last week we lost a player, were 5 points down and still came roaring back.

I think without the influence of the aforementioned Meath man the worst that Mayo should have come out of yesterday with was a draw.

I think most of the incidents the ref got wrong are covered in post above by davegrohl48.
    Suffice it to say most times something was let slide it appeared to hurt Mayo more than Kerry.

The big questions I now have are ...
    can someone explain how Enright managed to stay on the pitch until subbed and how do you now tackle/compete against a big tall full forwards without it being a free in ?

Oh and I know one other poster mentioned it, but I would like to hear Pat Spillane's comments on his county's current team or his comments only applicable to Northern teams.

Being from Mayo you get used to being beaten by better teams on big days.
    Getting royally screwed over (pardon the pun) by an offical so a comparable team wins is the thing that grates for me.
    Were you just as disappointed with Cormac Reilly's performance in the Mayo vs Cork game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Maughan no chance. But has Holmes not got more tactically aware I suppose and more experienced in management to be worthy of consideration since he last had the job in 2001 (last time we won the league too!)? Bringing Castlebar to an All Ireland final was also a big achievement.

Mayo need someone like McGuinness, jack O Connor or fitzmaurice or even McStay in as manager. I think a more shrewd tactician may land them the big prize. Horan was that bit limited in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭royster999

Was Mcstay and McHale in charge of u21s when they got to the final in 01' ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Disappointing for Mayo. Far too much noise about the GG and none about the ref. Turns out the latter was the enemy.

Kerry looked the better team, but oddly the ref certainly cost Mayo the game. Then O Shea getting injured compounded it.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Maughan and Holmes? Pass the bottle lads.

Yeah. Pat Holmes didnt show much tactical nous in the AI Club final when he didnt change Reilly off Connelly when he was getting roasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭MfMan

royster999 wrote: »
    Yeah. Pat Holmes didnt show much tactical nous in the AI Club final when he didnt change Reilly off Connelly when he was getting roasted.

Proven AI winner - John O'Mahoney.

Why oh why didn't Hennelly

a) steal a yard or two infield for the last free - nobody would notice
    b) come up to take the 45 that COC missed in first half ET - would have delayed a bit of time, had a better chance of slotting it and a 3-point lead then might just have titled it Mayo's way.

MfMan wrote: »
    Proven AI winner - John O'Mahoney.

Why oh why didn't Hennelly

a) steal a yard or two infield for the last free - nobody would notice
    b) come up to take the 45 that COC missed in first half ET - would have delayed a bit of time, had a better chance of slotting it and a 3-point lead then might just have titled it Mayo's way.

Too honest. Not like Kerry.
    BJ Keane stole about 10 yards for the free they got for phantom foul on Donaghy!

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

MfMan wrote: »

I was at the game. Hennelly was on the way up for this but was told to go back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

jibber5000 wrote: »
    4) Way forward
    No major clean out needed..These players are so close its deserve to be given a new manager to work with..

Interested in the general opinion on this? Do we really think 'one more heave' with essentially the same team is going to do it? I'd be inclined to think the new guy needs to go back to the drawing board...

Interested in the general opinion on this? Do we really think 'one more heave' with essentially the same team is going to do it? I'd be inclined to think the new guy needs to go back to the drawing board...

How many of the first team would be discarded ?
    Most of the team is fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

Cant say a lot as its still a bit raw, but very proud of our lads. The commitment of the 2 teams over the 2 games was incredible, NOTHING left on the sideline by the players and with todays game we have a game we can all be proud of.
    As above I'm worn out with what the state of reffing in this game was, who knows but my heart is telling me he cost us the game, I haven't seen the game on TV so can't comment besides, except from the various media and texts I got from people who said he robbed us blind.
    With regards the GG, have to say its a fine fine spot for a game, the atmosphere was incredible and the tension (which led me been phyiscally sick at one stage!!! (sad I know)) was nuts.

Wish James the best in everything he does, some things he did or didn't do baffled me, but he was brave enough to take us from an awful low to where we are today.

My heart is broken and spirit in ribbons, but we will be back

I agree, the referee made a couple of awful calls.
    But, Mayo had a 7 point lead early on, they only have themselves to blame I am afraid. The key battle was Donaghy v Caff, and that decided the outcome of the game for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement