Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

I still think Mayo's coverage of Jod was average. Never noticed good tight direct coverage n often Higgins was loose. Jod had 1-3 n several passes. Won most ball that he made runs for. Keith Higgins was impressive with his tackling strength in that he stopped up Jod when he ran at Higgins direct. But it was very close to being 2-3 scored n Horan is quoted in an interview regarding Higgins "I thought he won that particular battle". Manager always back his players true, but Jod was not all that well clamped down on. Jod will be player of the year he has shot 78% on average in his last three championship games including wides/blocked/dropped short. If he is not player of the year crazy stuff. No one approaching that level of performance. Shooting 60% is good, 78% is Roger Federer in his best form or Tiger Woods at peak. Simply the upper end of elite.
    Cillian O'Connor has been very impressive this year. 1-8 against Kerry in an AI semi final. He's won man of the match 3 times so far this year! I think he's probably ahead of James O'Donoghue to win player of the year. I think the level of opposition counts for something too, and well JOD hasn't come up against much opposition this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Archer3083 wrote: »
    Cillian O'Connor has been very impressive this year. 1-8 against Kerry in an AI semi final. He's won man of the match 3 times so far this year! I think he's probably ahead of James O'Donoghue to win player of the year. I think the level of opposition counts for something too, and well JOD hasn't come up against much opposition this year!

A lot of COC's scores are from frees, and obviously the penalty the last day. Marking on him was poor last weekend as well, something kerry need to address for Saturday. He is a brilliant player, but in fairness I doubt there is a mayo supporter out there who wouldn't take your hand off if you offered JOD for him in a swap. JOD scored 1-3 from play and won a number of scorable frees and set up another score. His performance was outstanding despite being marked by two and sometimes three men. He is a better and more dynamic player, and is having a better championship than o'connor.

That said, player of the year is still up for grabs and o'connor may well win it if he has a big game on Saturday and mayo go through and he wins MOTM in the final also. He would fully deserve it in that case.

mickeyk wrote: »
    A lot of COC's scores are from frees, and obviously the penalty the last day. Marking on him was poor last weekend as well, something kerry need to address for Saturday. He is a brilliant player, but in fairness I doubt there is a mayo supporter out there who wouldn't take your hand off if you offered JOD for him in a swap. JOD scored 1-3 from play and won a number of scored frees and set up another score. His performance was outstanding despite being marked by two and sometimes three men. He is a better and more dynamic player, and is having a better championship than o'connor.

That said, player of the year is still up for grabs and o'connor may well win it if he has a big game on Saturday and mayo go through and he wins MOTM in the final also. He would fully deserve it in that case.
    I don't think any team would swap Cillian O'Connor for JOD. Cillian has alot of strengths that JOD hasn't and vice versa. I think COC is a much more composed player. I think both player's goal scoring chances proved that the last day. JOD blasted his shot over the bar. COC rounded the keeper and simply lost his footing. Also COC seems to be unshakeable when it comes to frees, penalties etc. I think there are just as good a fowards out there by other teams but to be fair to JOD and COC they've been part of better overall teams this year, so we've seen more of them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Who really thinks COC would be ahead of JO'D for player of the year? That is absolute nonsense. Seriously though, even when double and tripple marked, O'Donoghue can still outscore COC from play! How could you possibly explain that when comparing the two - especially when it's their only objectives (to score) as marquee forwards. In fact I'd almost claim that COC's record of scores from play is actually quite poor. If the POTY came down to how much each player impressed you after watching each championship game - to not give it to O'Donoghue would be a sin. (At this stage of the competition).

That said it doesn't work like that and it never has. If Kerry lose this weekend it'll be a Dublin player more than likely, even if JOD kicks something ridiculous like 1-6 from play.

FatRat wrote: »
    Who really thinks COC would be ahead of JO'D for player of the year? That is absolute nonsense. Seriously though, even when double and tripple marked, O'Donoghue can still outscore COC from play! How could you possibly explain that when comparing the two - especially when it's their only objectives (to score) as marquee forwards. In fact I'd almost claim that COC's record of scores from play is actually quite poor. If the POTY came down to how much each player impressed you after watching each championship game - to not give it to O'Donoghue would be a sin. (At this stage of the competition).

That said it doesn't work like that and it never has. If Kerry lose this weekend it'll be a Dublin player more than likely, even if JOD kicks something ridiculous like 1-6 from play.
    You have to factor in the quality of the opposition. Jamie Clarke could be player of the year too and shoot the lights out if all he played against was Clare, Cork, Galway and Dublin. How would JOD fare if he was playing in Ulster? The same could easily be asked of COC.

• Advertisement

I don't think any team would swap Cillian O'Connor for JOD. Cillian has alot of strengths that JOD hasn't and vice versa. I think COC is a much more composed player. I think both player's goal scoring chances proved that the last day. JOD blasted his shot over the bar. COC rounded the keeper and simply lost his footing. Also COC seems to be unshakeable when it comes to frees, penalties etc. I think there are just as good a fowards out there by other teams but to be fair to JOD and COC they've been part of better overall teams this year, so we've seen more of them

So there are other forwards out there as good as both of them, we just can't see it because they are not playing for mayo / Kerry? Sorry but that is laughable.

If Cillian had received the same attention as JOD last Sunday I doubt he would have scored from play at all, put a decent marker on him and you have him sorted. Two men couldn't hold JOD. He would be the first name on the teamsheet for any inter county manager at the minute. Mayo planned all their tactics around him last Sunday for example, and despite that, and despite carrying a shoulder injury he did a lot of damage. He is a cut above o'connor at the moment, who is a good free taker but is not all that dangerous from general play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

mickeyk wrote: »
    So there are other forwards out there as good as both of them, we just can't see it because they are not playing for mayo / Kerry? Sorry but that is laughable.

If Cillian had received the same attention as JOD last Sunday I doubt he would have scored from play at all, put a decent marker on him and you have him sorted. Two men couldn't hold JOD. He would be the first name on the teamsheet for any inter county manager at the minute. Mayo planned all their tactics around him last Sunday for example, and despite that, and despite carrying a shoulder injury he did a lot of damage. He is a cut above o'connor at the moment, who is a good free taker but is not all that dangerous from general play.
    1 man can hold Jod but Higgins would need to physically change his positioning to constant shoulder to shoulder n tactics wise forget about counter attacking. The last day he many times did neither of those. But when Jod ran directly at him Higgins stopped him every time which was the first time I've seen Jod stopped like that when he runs at a defender. Horan should clearly see from video what worked for Higgins against Jod. Whatever kind of zone marking we tried around Jod did not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,147 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

"The marquee forward" will only win POTY if Mayo win the All Ireland.
    JOD can win it if Kerry just make the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Big demand for tickets,only terrace tickets will be on sale to the public tonight in Tralee

All Ireland Semi Final Tickets

Due to the “unbelievable” demand by Clubs for Tickets for the All Ireland Semi Final Replay, only Terrace Tickets will be available for Public Sale at the Austin Stack Park on this Wednesday from 7:00 to 8:00pm. It is anticipated that the match will be a complete sell-out.

While Stocks last Terrace Tickets will also be available on Public Sale in Austin Stack Park as follows:
    Thursday 28th Aug 2.00-5.30pm & 7.00-8.00pm
    Friday 28th Aug 1.00-4.00pm

http://www.kerrygaa.ie/news.php?item=1184&full=y

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

JOD has scored 2-24 (30 points) in 3 games, with only 2 points of it coming from frees.

COC has scored 3-32 (41 points) in 5 games, but 3-21 of that came from deadballs so only 11 points from play.

Both side played both Mayo and Galway JOD scored 0-10 against Cork and 1-5 against Galway with his 2 points from frees coming in the Cork game, COC by comparison scored 0-6 against Cork with 0-3 coming from frees and 0-8 against Galway with 0-5 from frees.

Basically JOD is averaging more than 9 points from play per game in 3 (28/3) matches compared to COC averaging just over 2 points from play per game (11/5)

I'd imagine that both are shoe-ins for All-Stars but with the POTY awards the finals take a huge priority and even performances in the semi-finals can count for very little.

The evidence shows that there is a massive massive correlation between winning the POTY and being a member of the winning All-Ireland team.

In the 19 years the POTY has been awarded it has been awarded to a member of the winning team 17 times.
    In 1995 Peter Canavan was on the losing side in the final and he picked it up (Tyrone only lost the final by a point)
    In 2010 when Bernard Brogan picked it up he was 2nd top scorer that year with 3-42 in 6 games [8.5 points] [and he was surely helped by the relatively ordinary performances of the likely contenders in the final between Down and Cork - with there being a distinct lack of eye-catching performances in the final] John Doyle was top scorer with 1-49 but had played 2 games more.

It's clear that the odds of it going to a player on a team that don't make the final are very small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

except the fact that it was Cork, Galway and Mayo as opposed to Cork, Galway and Kerry.

FFS.

1-8 in a semi is all well and good when 1-5 of it comes from placed balls, many of them very handy frees. O Donoghue got 1-3 from play (1-5 against Galway, 0-8 out of 0-10 against Cork) despite being doubly marked.

O Connor is a decent player, but if POTY was being picked right now, its O Donoghue and i dont think anybody outside of Mayo would disagree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Everyone has their own opinion - but the bookies are seldom wrong.

Paddy Power has JOD 2/1 to win POTY, with COC only 11/1. Clear favourite there between those 2. Interestingly Paul Flynn is joint favourite with JOD.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

O Connor is a decent player, but if POTY was being picked right now, its O Donoghue and i dont think anybody outside of Mayo would disagree with that.

I guess the point I'd make is that on Sunday both players /teams faced a top team for the first time.

The next two games for the eventual AI winners will go a long way to deciding the POTY.

I still think if Mayo went on to win the AI with the MOTM performance he put in on Sunday then he will get the POTY.

Another possibility, if mayo beat kerry and Dublin win the AI. Then Paul Flynn could get it.

Having played well against a top four team and getting a potential extra top four game in both JOD and COC have an advantage.

If Murphy plays a stormer and Donegal beat Dublin who could deny him? He's a fantastic player to watch.

AOS is another candidate. Its good this year some guys are really putting on a show.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

In 2001 Johnny Crowley lit up the championship and was being hotly tipped for POTY.
    Kerry were hammered by Meath in the semi final and P Joyce deservedly earned POTY.

I won't be drawing any conclusions on POTY until the championship is finished. A lot can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

for anyone familiar with the Gaelic Grounds, any reason for preferring to get tickets to one terrace over the other, apart from the City end being perhaps easier to walk to...? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

mystic86 wrote: »
    for anyone familiar with the Gaelic Grounds, any reason for preferring to get tickets to one terrace over the other, apart from the City end being perhaps easier to walk to...? thanks

Not much of a difference,you will probably have a better view on the terraces or in the uncovered stand then the view the people will have in the main stand its a pity they didn't re build that when they were re developing the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sammy37

Any idea when the team will be announced or will it be late as possible to allow for players with injuries?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

sammy37 wrote: »
    Any idea when the team will be announced or will it be late as possible to allow for players with injuries?

Round half eight tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

except the fact that it was Cork, Galway and Mayo as opposed to Cork, Galway and Kerry.

FFS.

1-8 in a semi is all well and good when 1-5 of it comes from placed balls, many of them very handy frees. O Donoghue got 1-3 from play (1-5 against Galway, 0-8 out of 0-10 against Cork) despite being doubly marked.

I don't think many in Mayo would disagree with you either. I'm from Mayo n all other Mayos I talked to reckon Jod is the best forward in the country by a distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

sammy37 wrote: »

Probably just the one change, with Declan coming in for O'Brien, unless anyone else's injured?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Any real likelihood Donaghy will start?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

seligehgit wrote: »
    Any real likelihood Donaghy will start?

it would work into Mayos favour if he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Probably just the one change, with Declan coming in for O'Brien, unless anyone else's injured?

Declan? Sadly, The man doesn't look able for 20 mins, let alone 50 or more.
    Very little chance he'll start I'd say.
    Would start BJK myself with Donaghy kept in reserve, but in fairness if they go with Donaghy you couldn't argue with it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sammy37

Declan? Sadly, The man doesn't look able for 20 mins, let alone 50 or more.
    Very little chance he'll start I'd say.
    Would start BJK myself with Donaghy kept in reserve, but in fairness if they go with Donaghy you couldn't argue with it either.

I would agree with this as well.I would keep donaghy and Declan for second half and start BJK . It will also be interesting to see if Killian Young starts or will he save him as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Amprodude wrote: »
    it would work into Mayos favour if he did.

why? Mayo got cleaned in the high ball the last day. Donaghy was on for 5 minutes and set up 1-1 and won the ball back for the o donoghue shot off the post.

he brings that form into the next day, Kerry will win.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

Team unchanged I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Word all week is that SOB wont make the game, but is named.

Hope its not a "dummy team". We never named a dummy team before, no need to start doing it now. Hate that ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Lee Keegan free to play for Mayo. Red card rescinded

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭munster87

Bit stupid having a rule like that, that will be overlooked on appeal. Undermines referee's correct decision.

• Advertisement

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    Lee Keegan free to play for Mayo. Red card rescinded

That's a big boost for mayo. I didnt think he should have gone on the day but it was technically a red card. As harsh as it was I don't think the appeals panel should be allowed to just disregard the rules when it suits them. He is a high profile player who most people would like to see playing at the weekend. Will be interesting to hear the ground for clearing him.

Makes little difference to our plans in any case I suppose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement