Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2014: Round 12 - Belgian Grand Prix

Options

Comments

stevenmu wrote: »
    That puts a very different spin on it IMHO. That's Nico effectively saying "I'm here and I'm fighting for this position, you have to either hit me or leave me space". AFAIK that's perfectly within the rules, and it's the type of driving Hamilton (and other like Kimi or Alonso) receives praise for.
    Exactly, Hamilton's overtaking against non-back markers, especially before this season, was about sticking it up the inside and letting the other driver decide to let him through or crash. Hamilton today could've just taken the corner a metre wider than usual with little down-side but as usual he was no-compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Gillespy

That puts a very different spin on it IMHO. That's Nico effectively saying "I'm here and I'm fighting for this position, you have to either hit me or leave me space". AFAIK that's perfectly within the rules, and it's the type of driving Hamilton (and other like Kimi or Alonso) receives praise for.
    It was nothing like that. It was a stunt Maldonado would do and now that he has admitted it, it actually looks deliberate.
    SnowDrifts wrote: »
    F1 is too much of a nanny state as it is... it was a racing incident between two drivers fighting for a championship. The FIA don't need to look into it at all. Monza is gonna be great! :D
    Racing incident if he admits to doing it on purpose?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Theres a lot of spinning going on : Autosport original headline was 'Wolff says Rosberg's crash comments were misconstrued' , now changed to misinterpreted.

If Lewis collides with Nico in the future it will be immediately viewed as Lewis getting revenge, I doubt if Lewis comments have gone down well with Mercedes top brass either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Gillespy wrote: »

Racing incident if he admits to doing it on purpose?

Wolff says Rosberg's crash comments were misinterpreted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

F1 is too much of a nanny state as it is... it was a racing incident between two drivers fighting for a championship. The FIA don't need to look into it at all. Monza is gonna be great! :D

It wasn't a racing incident if one driver deliberately causes contact. Racing incidents happen all the time as a result of mistakes, misjudgement, poor timing, and drivers coming together in a scenario where both felt they had the right of way. Intent to collide with another driver falls outside the limits of "racing incident" in my opinion.

I do agree with your hope the FIA stay out of it though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Exactly, Hamilton's overtaking against non-back markers, especially before this season, was about sticking it up the inside and letting the other driver decide to let him through or crash. Hamilton today could've just taken the corner a metre wider than usual with little down-side but as usual he was no-compromise.

It's a bit different than just having your front wing in line with the rear tyres.

Rosberg should have yielded. In essence, he has admitted to causing an avoidable collision.

Semantics and you know it. Merc beginning the cleanup.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭ItsChecoTime

Magnussen demoted to 12th after Alonso incident. Not a huge fan of Hamilton or Rosberg tbh but will be rooting for Hamilton after today, Nico admmitted he could have avoided hitting Hamilton, if he goes on to win the championship his victory will be tainted by this imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Not going to wade into the right/wrong of what happened but for us neutrals this is going to make the rest of the season a bloody cracker :D

Anyone else think Ricciardo could end up being in with a shout at the end of the season with the Mercs at eachothers throats? Points scored in last 6 races, Rosberg 98, Hamilton, 73 Ricciardo 102

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Bv0WiVtIIAA3jRD.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Bv0z72TCYAASf69.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Monza is one of the fastest tracks of the year

Any contact between the 2 could have very serious consequences

I hope the Fia take some kind of action against Nico (Grid penalty would be my choice) Otherwise someone is going to get badly hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 23,922 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Just read the Magnussen outcome, nonsense altogether. Had the roles been reversed it would have not merited a mention. Who was the driver steward today?

Good juicy controversy today, Uncle Bernie will be pleased at least, but the person I feel sorry for is Susie Wolff, shes gonna need a full box of panadol once she extracates her head from that broken headboard tonight...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Just read the Magnussen outcome, nonsense altogether. Had the roles been reversed it would have not merited a mention. Who was the driver steward today?

Good juicy controversy today, Uncle Bernie will be pleased at least, but the person I feel sorry for is Susie Wolff, shes gonna need a full box of panadol once she extracates her head from that broken headboard tonight...

Totos hand still in plaster, she will be on top tonight, there will be no contact with front wing (headboard).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,257 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Let's keep it to the racing please :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Monza is one of the fastest tracks of the year

Any contact between the 2 could have very serious consequences

I hope the Fia take some kind of action against Nico (Grid penalty would be my choice) Otherwise someone is going to get badly hurt

The FIA will not take any action on the basis of Lewis's claims, claims that the team have stated as misconstrued by Lewis.

Of course some quarters of the media will try to keep this story going for the next 2 weeks, whats the odds on a 'Hamilton to McLaren' story to break before Monza.

The Magnussen penalty is a nonsense imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Rosberg is beginning to show a different side of himself now, not sure if I like it or not but it makes the rest of the season very tasty.

The incident at the time to me was a racing incident, and his claim that he basically didn't avoid the contact shows now that he is willing to do what he has to do to win the championship, and he really won't give a toss about booing fans or what is written in the press, his only concern is the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Just home and watched the highlights on the BBC website. I'm biased - I kinda want Rosberg to win it this year, but to me it looked like a racing incident. Hamilton left no room, as is his right, Rosberg tried his hardest to get into that space, as is his right. Neither driver was at fault. And I somehow doubt that there'd be this much hoohah about it if Hamilton's tyre had held up.

@adamcooperf1: ROS on Merc's post race meeting: "Unfortunately I don't want to go into any details, that wouldn't be the right thing to do.”

Rosberg apparently said that just before Hamiltons comments, I think Lewis could have handled it better, regardless of If Rosberg said he did it on purpose or not.

Its another difference between the 2 characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

10616500_768594813198806_8035690731470679932_n.jpg?oh=e50605a002a10b4e9a0040782e1b3fb4&oe=54779DC0&__gda__=1416397688_3c31d8fee5eb658d26b1e784a03bc521

• Advertisement

christy c wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised to see the two boys collide tomorrow. Sh1t is getting real now, finishing line is in sight and with Rosberg leading the championship he can afford to be more aggressive against a naturally aggressive racer like Hamilton
    Zcott wrote: »
    First corner will be interesting but the real action should come at the top of the hill on lap 1.

Looks like this wasn't unexpected...

Zcott wrote: »
    Just home and watched the highlights on the BBC website. I'm biased - I kinda want Rosberg to win it this year, but to me it looked like a racing incident. Hamilton left no room, as is his right, Rosberg tried his hardest to get into that space, as is his right. Neither driver was at fault. And I somehow doubt that there'd be this much hoohah about it if Hamilton's tyre had held up.
    What hoohah? There was nearly more fuss last time out when Hamilton ignored team orders. Which tells you everything. If this doesn't get attention, what will? Championship rivals and teammates crash into each other and later admits to doing it on purpose.

The moment before contact.
    Bv0Y4eOCIAAXq0v.jpg

SSN are running Anthony Davidson's analysis of it on the Sky Pad if you haven't seen it. I still don't see how Rosberg was putting Hamilton in a position of crash or get out of the way. He was never in a position to do that. The onus was never on Hamilton.

Still don't know what point Rosberg was trying to make. He has the upperhand, he is out-qualifying him every time. Why would he risk his own car in the second lap in an attempt to put manners on Hamilton? Macho thing maybe after failing to pass him so many time already this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It was a racing incident but there was no way Nico could have got past there once they'd turned in. The smart thing to do would be to pull back and try and line up for another go later in the lap. It was a bit of a rookie mistake to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

ScumLord wrote: »
    It was a racing incident but there was no way Nico could have got past there once they'd turned in. The smart thing to do would be to pull back and try and line up for another go later in the lap. It was a bit of a rookie mistake to make.

He's not a rookie though, to me, he wanted to hit into Hamilton. He's a very skilled driver and he's usually very measured in what he does on the race track. He orchestrated a racing incident and it has worked out very well for him.

Gillespy wrote: »
    What hoohah? There was nearly more fuss last time out when Hamilton ignored team orders.

The last 13 pages of this thread...!
    Still don't know what point Rosberg was trying to make. He has the upperhand, he is out-qualifying him every time. Why would he risk his own car in the second lap in an attempt to put manners on Hamilton? Macho thing maybe after failing to pass him so many time already this season.

I think his point is that he's going to try his hardest to win it, and that he's going to race. His race craft has been questioned in the past, and this is part of him answering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

HazDanz wrote: »
    He's not a rookie though, to me, he wanted to hit into Hamilton. He's a very skilled driver and he's usually very measured in what he does on the race track. He orchestrated a racing incident and it has worked out very well for him.
    I don't know, I'm sure he didn't intend to lose his front wing. He's always getting jip about not being aggressive enough and I think he was trying to prove something. The fact is he's not an aggressive driver and shouldn't try to be one when it doesn't suit him.

He's strength is putting in consistent fast laps, he's not good at wheel to wheel, he doesn't have that instinct. Hamilton can turn any half chance into an over take, Rosberg is good at putting in clean laps. Nicos style would probably have come in his favour as the race went on with hamilton over driving the car.

Nico needs to stop letting the media push him into a style he's not comfortable with and stick to what he does best.

I guess we should also mention the great drive, yet again, from Ricciardo. He is driver of the season for me so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Not really surprised about Rosberg. He's got away with murder all season so probably feels pretty invincible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Terrontress

When Hamilton disobeyed team orders, he said afterwards that he ended up outscoring Rosberg so his better standing in the championship makes it worthwhile. Surely this is the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭CFlat

When Hamilton disobeyed team orders, he said afterwards that he ended up outscoring Rosberg so his better standing in the championship makes it worthwhile. Surely this is the same.

Hamilton ended up with no points yesterday because of Rosbergs silly move on him, intentional or not. I don't know how that could be construed as the same.

Advertisement