Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garmin Map update

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭eirman

What is the model number of your Garmin Unit?

I would phone Garmin and stay on the line for an hour+ if necessary, until you get direct support.

Sign up here www.keepcalling.com and top up with €10.00 (your credit never expires)
    That will give you 1666 minutes to a regular UK landline (If you have free calls to an Irish 01 Landline number on your package (or use the app))
    I highly recommend keepcalling. (Use my referral code 32H5B1 If you want to thank me)

Try here for Garmin regular UK landlines (local numbers)
    http://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php (Just enter Garmim and search)

This what I get for support ...
    0044 23 8066 2903
    0044 23 8066 2905
    0044 23 8066 2906

0044 23 8052 4000 (Reception).

This UK Freephone# is charged as a local number: 0044 80823 80000 (Tested & Working)

If you have success with any of the above, please report back here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

could it be the garmin software does not like 64 bit computers?
    There's no problem on my 64-bit Windows 7. What are you using ... Garmin Express or the old MapUpdater?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

got it working with a 8gb micro sd card,

when I tried on a different computer it showed up an error that it did not previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭peking97

Alun wrote: »
    Problem solved ...

I've just seen on one of the Garmin forums that two versions of the maps are produced depending on the vintage of the devices .. a Unicode (NTU) version for the newer models and a non-Unicode version (NT) for the older ones. Apparently for some bizarre reason they're now not going to release a NT version four times a year, only twice a year, so you should get an update to 2015.20 when it comes out.

Looks like EUNT 2015.20 is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

We bought a Garmin In the US with American maps. I was under the illusion that it's possible to add maps to a sat nav. Now when I go on their website I can only see "updates" and no new maps. The Europe update says it's only for a device that came loaded with maps for the same area.

So does that mean I have to buy a Garmin with European maps and the american one is no good to me here??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,548 ✭✭✭zg3409

Gatica wrote: »
    We bought a Garmin In the US with American maps. I was under the illusion that it's possible to add maps to a sat nav. Now when I go on their website I can only see "updates" and no new maps. The Europe update says it's only for a device that came loaded with maps for the same area.

So does that mean I have to buy a Garmin with European maps and the american one is no good to me here??

You should be able to buy a European map from Garmin for your unit. There is a frequently asked questions section about GPS on boards.ie and it is one of the frequent problems people have, buying a Sat Nav in the USA.

If you see earlier in this thread the garmin can handle some non garmin free maps from openstreetmap quite well for Europe.

Thanks, if I go the Garmin route though, do you mean I can download one of the maps that they say are not for my unit?
    I cannot find the GPS FAQ in the GPS forum or boards :(. Would you have a link please?
    I went to Maps->Map Update -> Purchase an update -> Lifetime Map updates -> Other Regions -> Europe
    However, at https://buy.garmin.com/en-IE/GB/prod33380.html it says:
    This product only can be used to update the preloaded maps that came installed on your device. For example, a device preloaded with North America maps cannot be updated with nüMaps Lifetime Europe, and vice versa.

Do you mean I can disregard this and download it, or that they have a different map for this purpose? Their website is a pain to navigate.

Gatica wrote: »
    Thanks, if I go the Garmin route though, do you mean I can download one of the maps that they say are not for my unit?
    I cannot find the GPS FAQ in the GPS forum or boards :(. Would you have a link please?
    I went to Maps->Map Update -> Purchase an update -> Lifetime Map updates -> Other Regions -> Europe
    However, at https://buy.garmin.com/en-IE/GB/prod33380.html it says:

Do you mean I can disregard this and download it, or that they have a different map for this purpose? Their website is a pain to navigate.

Try this link:
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/maps/on-the-road-maps/europe/c452-c454-atFILTER_REGION_EUROPE_01-p1.html

The Ireland version of the site does not seem to be working for me. Bascially you are not updating you maps but purchasing a new street map for your device. Some are a download, other larger maps such as all Europe may require a pre-loaded memory SD card to be installed on the device to store all the data.

The FAQ seems to be gone, at least it is not stickied any more.

Anyone else looking for the answer to that question, I got map from here:
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-IE/GB/prod6299.html?cID=253?pID=6299

Had to mail them directly and they replied with the relevant links... eventually. Also, can be found by searching for mapsource. The main garmin site didn't work for me to locate these maps, it either comes up with 404 error or brings you to updates or walking maps.

Not exactly on topic Aldi have a special this Thursday 16th October
    https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-16-october/products-detail-page/ps/p/sat-nav-garmin-nuvi-55-lmt-we/

Garmin Nuvi 55 LMT WE

It says lifetime map updates. The WE in the model may mean western Europe maps. I gather it is a 5" screen.

324888.jpg

Here is the closest info from Garmin:
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/on-the-road/in-car-sat-navs/2014-essential-line/nuvi-55/prod139770.html

The ad claims "free lifetime traffic avoidance" There is an explanation of it here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOJDRzmevf8
    It seems to have an FM receiver in the charger lead, which receives traffic reports
    It works in Ireland according to this page:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_message_channel

It's not bad value but hardly a bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

My Garmin 265 just updated the maps to 2015.40, had to update Garmin express first

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

Having trouble with the express update
    Garmin Nuvi, with lifetime maps
    Went to update
    Only option was Alps/Turkey

Updated even though it wasnt the correct area, now left with no searchable addresses here for Ireland......any ideas???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Hi, I'm having awful problems updating my Garmin 50LM with Lifetime maps update (All of Europe). Im using a 6gb sd card in it and now its telling me there is not enough space to install maps. Surely 6gb is enough? Can i put some maps on the SD card and the rest on the device or does it all have to be in 1 place? I need all of Europe as I live between regions!

I have a 2545LM with 8GB internal memory (7.2GB actually available not including system s/w) and with the latest maps installed I have 1.57GB left over, so I could see that you could have problems if you had less memory available.

However, I've never in my life heard of a 6GB SD card, they're usually available in 4, 8, 16, 32 etc. micro SD cards are dirt cheap at the moment so you could just get a 16GB card and use that.

Yes its a scan disk 6gb card. I think i got it free from vodafone a long time back!!

Ive never had problems before with map updates, ive re formatted it FAT 32 and its updating now, but im not sure what maps its updating.

It told me "Full Europe", but we will see.

Ok its put on 2016.10 map which seems to have all europe(ukraines on there) and garmin express is saying the device has 18% memory free.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭tubbs26

youngblood wrote: »
    Having trouble with the express update
    Garmin Nuvi, with lifetime maps
    Went to update
    Only option was Alps/Turkey

Updated even though it wasnt the correct area, now left with no searchable addresses here for Ireland......any ideas???

Having the same issue but didn't update it. Any ideas anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Full Coverage Europe 2019.10 available now.

My Nuvi won't install this 2019 version.

It should install the next version, as older SatNavs seem to only update with every second map update.

Please post here when 2019.20 is relased.

Installed fine on my 2545. M17/M18 are on it which must be a record for Garmin, it usually takes an age for new roads to appear on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Are they any nearer supporting Eircodes?

Full Coverage Europe 2019.20 available now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Kalyke wrote: »

Interesting but if Tom Tom can do it they should be able to get the postal codes working on their units. I bought my Garmin on a business trip to the UK and it was great to just pump in the post code of the hotel I was going to stay and it bringing me right to the door. Come on Garmin get your act together!

Kalyke wrote: »

Interesting but if Tom Tom can do it they should be able to get the postal codes working on their units. I bought my Garmin on a business trip to the UK and it was great to just pump in the post code of the hotel I was going to stay and it bringing me right to the door. Come on Garmin get your act together!

They need to pay for access to the data, and also implement an update to use the data in existing or new sat nav. Not exactly trivial but if they don't want to be left behind by the likes of google maps, then they need to hurry up.

My garmin currently lives in my boot, as a backup and android auto with Google maps currently beats it hands down in terms of day to day use. While it needs phone signal, mobile data and is not as easy as garmin, it does eircodes , copy and paste from internet addresses, voice navigation etc. All at no real cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

We've a Garmin with live updates. No idea where it is. Stopped using it a couple of years ago. Usability was horrific. Loved sending us down back roads.

Full Coverage Europe 2019.30 available now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

Weird, my 660 Zumo shows 2018.20 with no update available, I have Lifetime maps.

• Advertisement

bogman wrote: »
    Weird, my 660 Zumo shows 2018.20 with no update available, I have Lifetime maps.
    To the best of my knowledge, Older Garmin SatNav models, update only every second update.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91031544&postcount=467

Yours, should update on the next update.

Advertisement